Tomorrow's Doom ~ Up: 04/30/16 ~ recommitted to completion.

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Re: Tomorrow's Doom ~ Up: 6/02/13 ~ C.38 - Departure

Post by Silentcook »

It got the hose again. ಠ_ಠ

Anyway, people, I hate to sound like a broken record too, but what can one do? Requiring not to use a common browser to visit the forums is right out. Writing stuff to have people NOT be able to read it is just dumb.

Should someone have a technomagical fix for this, by all means forward it to our tech department. But unless and until that happens, our Esteemed Writers and Readers ought to kindly Suck It Up and try to conform to forum rules.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

nemz

Post by nemz »

How hard would it be to just cut the posts per page down to 12 or 10? It's probably just some arbitrary number that can be switched in the admin panel, and doing so would give more wiggle room before things go wrong.
Rin > Shizune > Emi > Hanako > Lilly
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

nemz wrote:How hard would it be to just cut the posts per page down to 12 or 10? It's probably just some arbitrary number that can be switched in the admin panel, and doing so would give more wiggle room before things go wrong.
This is actually genius if it's possible. One of the biggest problems is that after I post a 10-17k chapter, even taking up 2-3 posts in doing so, there are still 12-13 posts left on that page. That provides a lot of chance for the commentary to end up causing this 'page-break' thing I've never actually witnessed.

As I don't want to add posts frivolously, I'm going to tack on that I might take a break for a while. Hammering out chapters on a weekly basis, especially considering their length, has taken its toll on my psyche, and I kind of feel like I need some time to decompress--summer is in full swing and I could probably use some sunshine.

The work won't stop, but I may not post another chapter until the Sunday after next (June 16th), or later. My outline for the final act needs a little reworking now that I've made some adjustments in the published narrative (nothing huge, just straightening out some continuity), and I honestly just want to get away from my desk.

Basically, I have miles to go before this thing is done, and I don't want fatigue to cause lapses in quality. So, this is the part where I stop at a gas station, get myself an iced tea, sit under the shade from an awning and watch the desert sun sink below the horizon. Once my legs get their blood-flow back, my brain has a chance to reboot, and the cool night air has a chance to relax my aching shoulders, I'll get back in the beat-up old station-wagon and head into the moonlit horizon.
Last edited by Helbereth on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
BlackWaltzTheThird

Post by BlackWaltzTheThird »

I'm not sure whether that gas station analogy was poetic or purple. Either way, it was beautiful. I'll be waiting patiently for your return, sir.
BlackWaltz's One-stop Oneshot Shop - my fanfiction portal topic. Contains links to all my previous works, plus starting now any new ones I may produce (or reproduce)! Please, check it out!

BlackWaltz's Pastebin - for those who prefer to read things with no formatting and stuff. It's mostly the same as in my thread. Also contains assorted other writing!
Walshy12238

Post by Walshy12238 »

I'd like to say I've read this story before, but it was actually quite a long time ago (probably like 6 or 7 months ago) and I completely forgot to come back and check for updates for some reason, which is completely inexcusable on my part :P but I've decided to start from the very beginning of this wonderful story again, because it really is just that good (also I've forgotten a chunk of it and I can't really remember where I was up to).

Keep up the good work, Helbereth!
Lilly > Hanako=Emi > Shizune > Rin
LegyPlegy

Post by LegyPlegy »

What is the update schedule, anyway? I thought it was wednesdays, for some reason, if there is a schedule at all :P

I love this series, it's probably my favorite KS writing! (as implied by my signature, lol)
Damn paper trails
Walshy12238

Post by Walshy12238 »

LegyPlegy wrote:What is the update schedule, anyway? I thought it was wednesdays, for some reason, if there is a schedule at all :P

I love this series, it's probably my favorite KS writing! (as implied by my signature, lol)
Shouldn't Aiko's name be white, if anything? :P
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

Walshy12238 wrote:
LegyPlegy wrote:What is the update schedule, anyway? I thought it was wednesdays[sic], for some reason, if there is a schedule at all :P

Shouldn't Aiko's name be white, if anything? :P
Typically the schedule has been Wednesdays, but I'm taking a kind of vacation from writing. When I come back, I'll probably be publishing on Sundays instead--an arbitrary decision, really. Every so often I have some kind of crisis, either creatively or otherwise, and I just need to get the hell away from it for a while. The weather could have been more cooperative this time, though... it's been raining practically every day for the past two weeks.

I'm getting more use out of my SWTOR subscription, though...

As for the color, I often think of green in association with Aiko--I've dressed her as such on numerous occasions, and one of her eyes is green. The white might be sensible considering the stripe, but wouldn't show up very well on the forum, and I somehow don't think the color of purity would make sense considering her propensity for unsavory thought processes and other more obviously contradictory activities--especially in more recent chapters.

You'll note I used green for the backdrop in my signature image down below...
Walshy12238

Post by Walshy12238 »

Helbereth wrote: As for the color, I often think of green in association with Aiko--I've dressed her as such on numerous occasions, and one of her eyes is green. The white might be sensible considering the stripe, but wouldn't show up very well on the forum, and I somehow don't think the color of purity would make sense considering her propensity for unsavory thought processes and other more obviously contradictory activities--especially in more recent chapters.

You'll note I used green for the backdrop in my signature image down below...
If you know what I mean :wink:

But yeah, now that you say so, green does make a lot more sense than white does
Kimori16

Post by Kimori16 »

Ok, just finished catching up with this, got a few things to say.

First, lets start off with some praise; I like this a lot. I like the way Aiko is portrayed, as well as how deep you made the other characters within the story. GG man.

Second, JESUS CHRIST MAN, YOU USE SARDONIC AND LASCIVIOUS A LOT. Like, holy crap man. You kinda slowed down in that major break a couple weeks (or months, whatever) but still, they are used a ridiculous amount of times.

Third, I like the references to Scizzorlips Suzu story; it's fun seeing those little nods and references.

So yeah.
Emi > Lily > Hanako > Rin > Shizune
Uhm... I really like this game. And Scissorlips Suzu c:
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

Kimori16 wrote:Ok, just finished catching up with this, got a few things to say.

First, lets start off with some praise; I like this a lot. I like the way Aiko is portrayed, as well as how deep you made the other characters within the story. GG man.
Well, thank you. If there's one thing I'm trying to do it's portray the characters well.
Second, JESUS CHRIST MAN, YOU USE SARDONIC AND LASCIVIOUS A LOT. Like, holy crap man. You kinda slowed down in that major break a couple weeks (or months, whatever) but still, they are used a ridiculous amount of times.
This has been pointed out before, but they're words I'm fond of, I guess. Their use is so frequent because of the character's personalities--I have to use something other than sarcastic, dirty, or lewd sometimes.
Third, I like the references to Scizzorlips Suzu story; it's fun seeing those little nods and references.

So yeah.
It's one of those things. Over the year I've been working on this (yes, I officially passed a year on July 3rd), I've also been prone to flipping through the seemingly endless wealth of fiction submitted to the forums here, and elsewhere. Bringing some references in from those stories has been a way to pay homage, and offer a nod of recognition without prostrating myself upon their thread.
I've always wanted to find some way to use 'prostrating' correctly.

As for some updates (since I'm here), I've been laid out with a nasty toothache for the past week, but prior to that I was finally getting back to writing Act 5. Whether it will show up here anytime soon remains to be seen, but after about a dozen false starts, I have a lot better idea of how the final act will flow. If not this weekend (this tooth is making concentration damn near impossible) I'll likely have something ready for proofing by next week (assuming something worse doesn't happen, and I'm not about to challenge worse), which means I'll probably resume my posting schedule before August.
Joonwoo

Post by Joonwoo »

Hallelujah let there be updates!
Narcolepsy without the cataplexy. Tired but no random fainting. I made it, so can you.
bpgbcg

Post by bpgbcg »

I'm trying to avoid saying something terribly generic like "thanks for the update, and I look forward to Act 5" but I can't think of much, sorry...

I'll just say that I like this fic a lot, and whenever you update I'll probably have finished reading it within two hours of it being posted, given the amount I obsessively visit this forum :)
Piano music for the KS soundtrack; I've done a few transcriptions which are on page 43 of that thread. Also, I wrote a musical theme for Scissorlips' amazing Suzu pseudo-route, which I then recorded here.
Reese8

Post by Reese8 »

Caught up and awaiting the next chapter! I'm afraid that I've no specific commentary on the past thirty-eight chapters, though; there's rather a lot in there to cover.
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

Reese8 wrote:Caught up and awaiting the next chapter!
Well, I'm about to start getting the final edits on Chapter 39 finished, and it might grace the forum before midnight.