The Truth About Kenji (a short fanfic in three acts)

WORDS WORDS WORDS

lolawesome

The Truth About Kenji (a short fanfic in three acts)

Post by lolawesome »

The Truth About Kenji

Act I

Coffee. One spoonful of half and half. Two spoonfuls of sugar. Stir. Sip. Hot, hot, hot. Blow, blow, blow. Sip, hot, sip, a little better, sip. Still blowing my cup of joe and holding his file, I make my way to my patient's room. Checking the chart outside his room, I see he ate most of the breakfast and taken his morning dose of medication.

He's sitting on the bed, knees up to his chest. A young boy, eighteen years old. Hmmm, I guess that actually makes him a man now. A few strands of hair sticking away from the rest on his head as if to escape. A somber expression worn on his face.

“Hello, Hisao, how are you this morning?” I ask as I open the manilla folder with 'Nakai, H.' hand written on the cover.

“... Good, I guess,” he answer rather distantly.

“Tell me what you're thinking.”

His eyes dart to mine. Good, eye contact, that's a step. An expression of confusion maybe?

“...”

“Today's session is open. We'll talk about anything and everything you want to, Hisao.”

He looks away towards the floor again.

“The floor is cold,” he says, again distantly.

“Hmmm?” I lean forward, trying to get him to reciprocate the engagement.

“... Can I have some socks?”

I look at his bare feet. Ah.

“Yes, sure, absolutely, Hisao. Sorry we keep it kind of chilly around here.”

“...”

I fight my urge to mindlessly tap my pen and quietly wait.

“...”

“... Did you … ?”

My eyebrows arch on their own.

“Did I what, Hisao?”

“... Um, the names I wrote down … yesterday.”

“Ah, yes, I checked them out, and your teacher faxed me a photo of your class. All the student names you wrote down, as well as the staff like the librarian and nurse, they all are confirmed. Even one Hanako Ikezawa that you wrote down three times,” I chuckle to try to lighten his mood.

A visible sigh escape him.

“I can never go back, can I? Back to Yamaku, I mean,” his eyes are starting to water.

“That's not up to me, but just like when your first heart attack, things sometimes irrevocably change,” I badly try to steer the conversation into more cheerful territory.

I can see he's overcome with emotions and assure him it's okay if he doesn't want to continue.

Small steps at a time. I tell him we'll talk again at lunchtime and I take his silence for no objections on his part.
Last edited by lolawesome on Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://pastebin.com/u/lolawesome

my pastebin - no rins tho
# 2

Re: The Truth About Kenji

Post by # 2 »

First thought that come to mind: Did someone break Hisao?
My Deviations. Please try not to laugh.

Lemons, not just for tangy drinks and incendiaries anymore!
lolawesome

Post by lolawesome »

# 2 wrote:First thought that come to mind: Did someone break Hisao?

yes

Leaty

Post by Leaty »

I'm intrigued, but right now there's not enough content for me to say any more. I assume Hisao committed some variety of felony.
lolawesome

Post by lolawesome »

Leaty wrote: I assume Hisao committed some variety of felony.

nope

nemz

Post by nemz »

Tempted to just ruin it for all of you, but I'll hold off for now. I'll be back when I feel like destroying something beautiful. :twisted:
Rin > Shizune > Emi > Hanako > Lilly
BobBobberson

Post by BobBobberson »

nemz wrote:Tempted to just ruin it for all of you, but I'll hold off for now. I'll be back when I feel like destroying something beautiful. :twisted:
Spoil it! Now! My guess would be Kenji was a figment of his imagination or something like that.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

nemz wrote:Tempted to just ruin it for all of you, but I'll hold off for now. I'll be back when I feel like destroying something beautiful. :twisted:
I think I know what's going on.

I know this because nemz knows this.
Not Dead Yet
lolawesome

Post by lolawesome »

since it's already mentioned, yes Kenji was all in Hisao's mind

But can you guess the REAL twist?

Oddball

Post by Oddball »

lolawesome wrote:since it's already mentioned, yes Kenji was all in Hisao's mind

Jigoro is Hisao's father!

Hanako was actually dead the entire time!

Lilly has been faking being blind for years!
Not Dead Yet
Dippeggs

Post by Dippeggs »

Hisao is a robot?!
Roamin12

Post by Roamin12 »

lolawesome wrote:since it's already mentioned, yes Kenji was all in Hisao's mind
I actually guessed that as well once I finished the story, and I was right? Well, that's a new one.
Yamaku is actually a secret government program created to study the affects on human psyche by generally fucking with their minds via induced disabilities? Please tell me I'm wrong on that...
First Play through: Lilly>Hanako>Emi>Rin>Shizune
Second Play Through: Hanako>Rin>Lilly>Shizune>Emi
I'm a music enthusiast.
Scissorlips

Post by Scissorlips »

Color me interested. I have a theory about where this is going, but I'll wait to see what's next. It's good to see you trying something in a new format as well.

[Pastebin] [Familiarity]
Your troubles shall cease, and you will know peace.

random

Post by random »

This is Hisao surviving the manly picnic

And when he kept talking about Kenji who doesn't exist they commit him to an asylum
lolawesome

Post by lolawesome »

Act II

Finishing my home made rice and curry lunch, I head over to see how Hisao is faring. His chart mentions that he ate very little of his lunch, though he did take his dose of medication.

Entering his room, I see him nervously pacing around. We make eye contact, and I give him a nod that he quickly return. He sits on his bed again, feet off the cold tile floor as this morning.

“Good news, Hisao, I have the socks you requested.”

He takes them and give me an appreciative smile, and sets them aside on his nightstand.

“So … how are you?”

He looks at me, “Well, I'm not in a straight jacket nor in a padded room. I should be grateful for that, I guess.”

“Well, we decided you're not a danger to yourself or others. Although, we do take certain precautions. For instance, your eating utensil is a plastic spork,” I chuckle again. He gives me an indifferent stare. I'm really bad at jokes.

“I'm ready to talk,” he tells me, though again looking downward away from me.

“I'm ready to listen,” and he looks up to see my sincere smile.

He begins with his first heart attack, the months long hospital stay, the eventual abandonment of all his friends and Iwanako, and the books that help him escape from it all. His transfer to Yamaku. The culture shock and the girls that help him adjust to his new life. Especially one Hanako Ikezawa. He tells me about their relationship and how he completely misread what she wanted and what she needed from him. The showing of his surgery scar to her, and her showing him her own. The awkward sex. The awkward morning after. The confession in the park. And how he was the happiest he's been in his life.

And without any lead from myself, he goes on to explain how he knows Kenji didn't exist. Transferring late in the school year, had him assigned to the leftover hallway in the male dormitory. A single room with a bathroom that would pretty much be only used by him. And in between, a locked janitor's closet that he thought was the door to an imaginary hallmate's room. He tells me about painting a banner before the festival with Hanako, and that Kenji was there … if only in his mind.

Finished, he looks at me straight into my eyes.

“Can I get better, doctor? Will I ever be rid of Kenji? Will I ever leave here and see Hanako again?”

I sigh.

“Hisao, I'm recommending ECT treatments next week, and we'll take it from there. Kenji won't be an on/off switch. If we remove him, it's not going to be easy. He'll probably be kicking and screaming and dragging your entrails along with him. Do you understand?”

He nods.

“Good, I'll see you tomorrow, I have a matter to attend to.”

He walks up to me and gives me a hug, “Thank you, Allen.”

I walk back to my office, find my car keys, and get ready to drive to Yamaku.
Last edited by lolawesome on Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.