Iwanako: Mean Time to Breakdown {updated 2015-4-1}

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Solistor

Re: Iwanako: Mean Time to Breakdown {updated 2014-9-5}

Post by Solistor »

I CONTINUE TO PLEDGE MY FULL SUPPORT IN THIS ENDEAVOR

As the great englandian poet Hector Hughes Albrecht* once said, "Life sucks and then you die." All that matters is that you're still fighting, you're still living, and you're still happy. Even when you're not happy, two outta three ain't bad either. Keep working at your own pace. None of us can fault you for the monkey wrenches life decides to huck into your clockworks.

*Note: Not a real person
HoneyBakedHam wrote:Let's help Leaty! We could be like his partners, just minus any kisses to seal the deal.
I dunno, I'd kiss Leaty.
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

Leaty wrote:I'm like six thousand words into a thing. Unfortunately, crippling depression, untreated ADHD, etc etc.

Thanks for the love!
These things happen. If that thing is the thing that I think it is, and that thing is in any way a thing that is not the right thing, then have you considered putting the thing aside and working on that other thing? But, if you're working on the thing because that thing is the thing you want to be working on, then by all means continue working on the thing. Either of these things would be quite nice to see :D.
Solistor wrote:
HoneyBakedHam wrote:Let's help Leaty! We could be like his partners, just minus any kisses to seal the deal.
I dunno, I'd kiss Leaty.
If you thing...I mean think it would help...
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
brythain

Post by brythain »

dewelar wrote:These things happen. If that thing is the thing that I think it is, and that thing is in any way a thing that is not the right thing, then have you considered putting the thing aside and working on that other thing? But, if you're working on the thing because that thing is the thing you want to be working on, then by all means continue working on the thing. Either of these things would be quite nice to see :D.
What. Are. You. Thing. King.

Positively Rumsfeldian. Or Seussian.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
HoneyBakedHam

Post by HoneyBakedHam »

Still dazed by the fact that no one is commenting on the reference
Leaty

Post by Leaty »

(deadfic)
Last edited by Leaty on Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blank Mage
Location: My own personal hell, with a metered internet connection.

Post by Blank Mage »

Blank Mage, on hand for any moral support needed.

Also, assuming the thing is what it sounds like, know that I, and likely others like me, would be more than happy to read whatever other thing you produce.
And we're back.
-----------
"I wish I could convey to you just how socially inept I am, but I can't."
"I think you just did."
"No, I really, truly haven't."
Solistor

Post by Solistor »

As long as the thing you're working on is the thing you want to be working on, then that thing's the thing you should do things with. The other thing can wait until you're ready to work on that thing, and so can we. Things don't just go away, and for a dedicated fanbase like KS's, I think you'll find we'll turn up for whatever thing you release regardless of what kind of thing it is. Thing.
dewelar wrote:If you thing...I mean think it would help...
It may or may not, depending on the situation. It was mainly a case of me not catching a reference and making a fool of myself. Business as usual. :P
Leaty wrote:...and Ben Grimm is The Thing.
Hehehehe
HoneyBakedHam

Post by HoneyBakedHam »

Leaty wrote:
I'm a girl, you goof. And yes, accordingly, I do get the Supernatural reference. (Yeah, I know, what? A female who writes fanfiction? Is this bizarro world or something?)
Oh..well, I just learned something about Leaty. I haven't been on here long enough to know who is of what gender. My apologizes, Leaty. Also, nothing wrong with female fanfic writers.

And I wasn't aiming for Supernatural, but Negima. It's alright, though, cause I wasn't even thinking Supernatural.
Blank Mage
Location: My own personal hell, with a metered internet connection.

Post by Blank Mage »

HoneyBakedHam wrote:And I wasn't aiming for Supernatural, but Negima. It's alright, though, cause I wasn't even thinking Supernatural.
Ah, Negima. It taught me that even the best series can end horribly. WHAT HAPPENED TO QUEEN ARIKA, KEN?!

(I'm sorry. I'll stop now.) ((Kono X Set forever.))
And we're back.
-----------
"I wish I could convey to you just how socially inept I am, but I can't."
"I think you just did."
"No, I really, truly haven't."
Leaty

Post by Leaty »

(deadfic)
HoneyBakedHam

Post by HoneyBakedHam »

Well..when you have those that like to generalize it as a "crippled-girl fucking sim", I have trouble imagining many people getting into the fandom as much as us (especially women).

Then again, you are making a what-if scenario with Iwanako, and not Hisao. So maybe it makes sense that a female author would have an easier time with a female lead character? I don't know, I always have ideas for a fanfic OC story I wanted to do, but have trouble trying to get into the minds of other characters and make them sound like individuals and not just carbon copies of each other, besides the main male OC (Maybe because of my Asperger's and difficulty thinking outside of my shoes or could be something else, I'm not sure).

And Blank, thanks for the ending.... >.> Haha
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

Man, of all the things to get bored and randomly click on, I click on this. And then, after like half a year, I click on it again, because why not? I've got twenty minutes to kill, might as well skim through and see what's happened since the last time. Forgive me if I bring up "old stuff," I didn't really read the comments so much as just scroll by them looking for the next update.

Now I'm gonna have to make it a semi-regular occurrence, because this is intriguing, and contains at least one reference to the works of Kurt Vonnegut, which is a good way to make me pay attention (I could take or leave Last Unicorn, my memories of the book are lost in a haze and my memory of the movie is of some old lady getting fucking devoured by a harpy and let me tell you, as a kid that was some FUCKED UP SHIT to see--topped only in my mind by the fate of the Horned King in the Black Cauldron movie (there's an adaptation that took the teeth out of the book, let me tell you...then again that series was so fucking terrible in its ultimate treatment of its one decent female character that maybe it ain't such a bad thing to have mostly forgotten about it. The mythology of the Welsh deserves a better plunderer, I say. Er..what was I talking about?)).

Emi's a little scamp, isn't she? Kissing all the boys and some of the girls, running into people in hallways, trying to make things right in her aggressive way and getting shouted at with no plan B in mind, because plan Bs are for suckers. I'm naturally inclined to give the poor girl the benefit of the doubt, of course.

I think comparisons of Iwanako to Daria are perhaps not entirely unfounded. God, the 90s were fucking weird.

Was I going somewhere with this? Ah, yes.

You are walking the line between Daria and Shitty Teenage Harry Potter (which is my Harry Potter themed Wheatus cover band) with aplomb, and (rightfully) erring on the side of Daria. It is hoped that Iwanako's woes never veer too far into the melodramatic. So far, they have not! That is, if nothing else, worthy of commendation.

The description of whatshername--lady Kenji (I am TERRIBLE with names) made me think of kids in high school listening to Korn, and I giggled slightly to myself. Then again, I was totally into the girls in high school listening to Korn (weren't we all, deep down?).

Fucking Korn. Jesus. God bless the man who made all those punk mix cds later on, he saved my life.

What the hell am I even talking about?

Write more. It's worth reading, I think.
Leaty

Post by Leaty »

(deadfic)
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

On the real, Harry Potter was such a bundle of teenage angst in... was it Order of the Phoenix? I think it was--that I am pretty sure it soured me on the series permanently. What a shitty kid. I don' I just missed being the right age for the books or what, but I know I've never bothered to finish the final book. To this day I've never bothered to finish, because someone told me about the goddamn epilogue and, well, my tolerance for that bullshit is PRETTY LOW, if not NONEXISTENT. Plus I'd just been miffed by the end of A Series of Unfortunate Events, so I refused to read another incoherent ending (I should go back and revisit the end of the Snicket stuff though, because I'm sure there's probably something I missed. I will never have that feeling about Harry Potter).

Lady Kenji, who I promise to remember the name of next time I comment, assuming I find the need to comment again, has a good shot of being more a Jane than a Kenji, if you are picking up what I am putting down, which is to say she is the cool one in some fashion. Is her brother a slacker in a band? We may never know.

I recommend never listening to my feedback seriously, because I only ever seem to bother posting when I'm in the process of falling asleep at the keyboard. That's how you get trainwrecks like the last post, or this post.

Anyway, I'll keep an eye on this--and should you ever decide to write something outside of fanfiction, I shall be even more interested. One thing at a time (or three, or four, I suppose, if you're a multitasker)--we'll see what exactly the future has in store for our young heroine first.
SirKaid

Post by SirKaid »

Leaty wrote:I'm like six thousand words into a thing. Unfortunately, crippling depression, untreated ADHD, etc etc.

Thanks for the love!
Depressed ADHD people represent! :D

Extra love, this is a thing I enjoy, and I'm sure I'll enjoy any other things you happen to make. You do have a positive track record when it comes to things, after all. (Oh no, now I'm doing it too...)