Iwanako: Mean Time to Breakdown {updated 2015-4-1}

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Texaboose

Re: Iwanako: Mean Time to Breakdown {updated 2015-4-1}

Post by Texaboose »

Wow, Leaty. Ploughed (plowed?) through MTtB in two days, and boy am I impressed. The universe from Iwanako's polar-opposite POV, plus all the small twists and turns that turn the story into a being of it's own was really engaging to read. To get a totally different perspective on beloved characters like Emi and RIn, and to a lesser extent, Mutou and Nurse, that up-ends our expectations and reactions to them was surprising. For the first time I went from "Awww... puppy-eyed Emi", to "damn, she really is an inconsiderate jerk, running around like that" and I didn't even feel like I was being coerced to feel that way since it was written so well.
Some times you've been a bit too robust in your vocabulary for me (something I easily solved with Google), but that in itself isn't a bad thing, just something I found... unusual. It speaks at how much is recycled in writings now-a-days for me to be surprised when a word or reference I don't know pops up.

Unfortunately, now begins the agony of having to be patient to read more of this fantastic fic. Fortunately, though, I can now dive into dewelar's "Developments" which I saw recommended throughout the comments.

Again, excellent work and look forward in sharing Iwanako's (mis)adventures.
Currently reading (and being thoroughly depressed by): After the Dream by brythain
Also currently reading (sans depression):
The Benefit of Hindsight by Puncyclopedia
Learning to Fly by Eurobeatjester
Flutter by Sharp-O
YOTC

Post by YOTC »

I unabashedly love this story and give it a read over when I have writers block for inspiration.
PurpleCow

Post by PurpleCow »

Is it safe to assume that this fan-fic is dead now?
Leaty

Post by Leaty »

(deadfic)
Last edited by Leaty on Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YOTC

Post by YOTC »

Leaty wrote:
Leaty wrote:This is not deadfic, and in the unlikely scenario it ever becomes deadfic, there will be no question that it is dead, because I will edit the words DEADFIC DEADFIC DEADFIC LEAVE ME ALONE DEADFIC DEADFIC DEADFIC into every one of my posts in this thread. But that will never happen, because leaving things unfinished is a sign of poor character.
Not to sound especially snippy, but I'm getting these messages more and more often lately, and they're always a lowkey way of saying "why can't you update faster?" I can't update faster because my life is a garbage fire, sorry.
Take your time and continue being you. Shit will get better, I've been there. Good luck.
Reese8

Post by Reese8 »

Oh, I'm sorry you're having such troubles; good luck.
Texaboose

Post by Texaboose »

You're updating 10 times faster that George R.R. Martin, and he gets paid for his work. You're all aces in my book.
Currently reading (and being thoroughly depressed by): After the Dream by brythain
Also currently reading (sans depression):
The Benefit of Hindsight by Puncyclopedia
Learning to Fly by Eurobeatjester
Flutter by Sharp-O
brythain

Post by brythain »

Texaboose wrote:You're updating 10 times faster that George R.R. Martin, and he gets paid for his work. You're all aces in my book.
That's interesting, because GRRM has aces, jokers and deuces in his anthologies... :D

Okay, sorry about that joke. Yes, Leaty confirmed best girl. ;)
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
emmjay

Post by emmjay »

Leaty wrote: I can't update faster because my life is a garbage fire, sorry.
Hopefully less smelly, though. And better a good story later than a rushed story now.
brythain wrote:That's interesting, because GRRM has aces, jokers and deuces in his anthologies... :D
Hey, fellow Wild Cards fan!
Yuuko > Akira > Miki > Meiko > Sae.

Some one-shots I've written (Updated 7/29/2017)
Ommadawn

Post by Ommadawn »

Leaty wrote:
Leaty wrote:This is not deadfic, and in the unlikely scenario it ever becomes deadfic, there will be no question that it is dead, because I will edit the words DEADFIC DEADFIC DEADFIC LEAVE ME ALONE DEADFIC DEADFIC DEADFIC into every one of my posts in this thread. But that will never happen, because leaving things unfinished is a sign of poor character.
Not to sound especially snippy, but I'm getting these messages more and more often lately, and they're always a lowkey way of saying "why can't you update faster?" I can't update faster because my life is a garbage fire, sorry.
Hi Leaty,

I'm a relative newbie to the forums, Katawa Shoujo and VN's in general, but I just wanted to say that I have truly enjoyed your writing and look forward to seeing more of it, whenever you get the chance and motivation to do it. We could all do with a dose of patience some times, and I know I'm happy to wait. I hope things are looking up for you, now and in the future. :)
Xann

Post by Xann »

I've been lurking here since 2013, read just about everything ever posted on here, and felt that this was worth making an account for. I know you get messages like this all the time, but I just wanted to say that your work is some of the most inspired I've ever had the pleasure of reading. You took a blank slate of a character and gave her depth and emotion far beyond what most professional writers are capable of, all in a fraction of the time. I can't pretend I know what's happening to you, or that I can even really relate, but I'd like to thank you from the bottom of my heart for even bothering to give a reason for the delayed updates, and for sharing your talent with all us faceless internet denizens in the first place. I hope things improve for you soon, and I sincerely look forward to your next update.
Blank Mage
Location: My own personal hell, with a metered internet connection.

Post by Blank Mage »

Xann wrote:blank slate
WHO SUMMONS THE- oh hey nevermind, my bad.

...guess I'll stick around.
And we're back.
-----------
"I wish I could convey to you just how socially inept I am, but I can't."
"I think you just did."
"No, I really, truly haven't."
AlexFDSR

Post by AlexFDSR »

What's the term for when someone makes an account a long time after reading it as a guest, lurking? OK then, I've been lurking on the forums for since August and I decided to make an account to add my voice of praise to all the amazing fanfiction that's written here, and I decided that my first post should be adding my drop in the bucket of praise for Mean Time to Breakdown. First, let me say kudos for writing about Iwanako, the only girl that gets less attention than her is Suzu. With how little info is given on Iwanako, it's amazing the character you've created basically from scratch. I won't go into much detail because I'm not a reviewer but I'll say that I really like this story and the great attention you give to detail. In Hisao terms, I can cont the amount of Iwanako fics with one hand, which is like 4 counting this one, 5 counting your other Iwanako story, and while they have all been great, this one is spectacular. I hope to see more of your amazing writing in the future!
If Iwanako had a route, would the tagline be "Can you find it in your heart?"
Panthour

Post by Panthour »

AlexFDSR wrote:Iwanako, the only girl that gets less attention than her is Suzu.
I would say that Suzu is written about far more nowadays (The Suzu routes have basically given her a fanon personality), Iwanako has always simply been a device to get Hisao to Yamaku. That is why she is so hard to write about, and why I greatly respect the people that take a risk and do it.

:)
S-Class Wizard. Emi is my waifu.
PurpleCow

Post by PurpleCow »

Leaty wrote:
Sorry that you saw it that way Leafy,

KS is old and dying, it would be natural to assume that people get caught up newer with more important things.
Heck, I forgot about KS for years. The FF I started a few years ago is still sitting in my Word folder, waiting to be finished.

You're a good writer, and I am frankly a little envious of your skills.
Would I call it impatience? no, just mild collegial concern.