Iwanako: Mean Time to Breakdown {updated 2015-4-1}

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Blank Mage
Location: My own personal hell, with a metered internet connection.

Re: Iwanako: Mean Time to Breakdown {updated 2/23/2014}

Post by Blank Mage »

Mirage_GSM wrote:
Narcolepsy: Find work-arounds, and death is still a threat. Every. Single. Day. The Suzu Pseudo-route shows this pretty well.
No.
The Suzu Pseudo-Route shows a highly unrealistic version of Narcolepsy that is about as close to an accurate depiction of the disorder as we are from world peace. For details see the Prof's rant here.

Narcolepsy is NOT a life-threatening condition.
Whelp, that's the last time I take my medical advice from a fan fiction of a free-to-download cripple dating game from 4-chan.
And we're back.
-----------
"I wish I could convey to you just how socially inept I am, but I can't."
"I think you just did."
"No, I really, truly haven't."
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

Even though Leaty and I joke on the Developments thread about our respective treatments of Emi, I will say again that I found Iwanako's reaction quite believable and appropriate, although maybe a touch over-the-top. The only beef I have is this:
Leaty wrote:it seems reasonable to me that Emi has sent at least one student to the hospital before, hence the Brittle Bone Kid.
Yes, it seems reasonable that this might have happened. However, if it had, I expect that Emi wouldn't have gotten off with just a mild reprimand from Shizune over her collision with Hisao.
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
Leaty

Post by Leaty »

(deadfic)
Last edited by Leaty on Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blank Mage

Post by Blank Mage »

As the self appointed Shizune representative, I don't find it terribly out of character for her to play down the incident for Hisao's sake. Shizune is at least self aware enough not to embarrass a new student and remind him of his mortality in one fell swoop. (It's not likely she knew about his condition, but it's not hard to guess from his reaction to being struck.) If the festival scene is any indication, she takes Hisao's mental health somewhat seriously, even in act 1.
And we're back.
-----------
"I think you just did."
brythain

Post by brythain »

Leaty wrote:Hmm, that's a good point. I suppose you could wave that away by saying that either Shizune doesn't know about it (which would make it odd that Kenji does, but...) doesn't want to make an even bigger scene in front of Hisao about it (which is sort of out of character,) or is blatantly not allowed to bring it up (for vague reasons related to court actions or liability or something else I'm bullshitting all of a sudden.)

Or that Emi did plow over BBK in a hallway, but there were no witnesses and they picked themselves up and found that they were mostly unscathed and told Emi not to worry about it.
I'd suggest that Emi hit Kenji once, and he's just being his usual exaggerating self when he tells Hisao about it. Kenji, in many ways, is supposed to be a mirror to Hisao.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Leaty wrote:Hmm, that's a good point. I suppose you could wave that away by saying that either Shizune doesn't know about it (which would make it odd that Kenji does, but...)
Not too odd. Kenji actually seems to be somewhat in the loop when it comes to gossip, but nobody really talks to Shizune except Misha.

Kenji actually seems to react more negatively to Emi than any of the other girls when he finds out Hisao is going to the festival with them. Maybe Kenji was actually one of the people she's knocked down. I can actualy picture Kenji going to Shizune to try to file an official complaint, only to stand there yelling for several minutes while Shizune is just sitting there going , "why is this guy yelling? He knows I can't hear, right?". Then Kenji leaves assuming he's made his point and Shizune isn't going to do anything about it because they're on the same side.
Not Dead Yet
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

Yes, I definitely think Kenji was one of Emi's "victims" -- maybe even the only one pre-Hisao. I also agree that Shizune downplaying it in front of Hisao is a viable possibility for the reasons stated. However, I do think that, had Emi actually put someone in the hospital pre-Hisao, Shizune would have no qualms about going to the administration after this incident, and there would have been much more of a kerfuffle than the VN leads us to believe.

ETA: I just had this funny notion that while Kenji might be the only person Emi's tackled, it's happened repeatedly over three years, with Kenji continually trying to get something done about it and getting nowhere because nobody believes him...except Shizune.
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

I'm with Brythain on this:
It's possible that Emi ran over Kenji once, but Kenji is NOT a reliably source when it comes to the girls and if anything serious had happened earlier there would have been repercussions, and despite her happy go lucky nature/front I doubt she would not be more careful after an event like that.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Leaty

Post by Leaty »

(deadfic)
Snapped

Post by Snapped »

Leaty wrote:Yeah, I mostly agree, which is why in the canon of this story, Emi ran into the brittle bone kid in an empty hallway, but didn't actually manage to injure them. The kid forgave Emi, Emi shrugged it off as being "lucky," and she went right back to complacently running through the halls.

Though it's kind of amusing to imagine a scenario in which the BBK would eventually turn out to be Emi's first boyfriend.
The one she dumped for getting too close?

"She spared my bones, but broke my heart instead."
Leaty

Post by Leaty »

(deadfic)
griffon8

Post by griffon8 »

This beta is ready!

…assuming it’s done before the night of the 29th. Then I’m going out of town and won’t have my laptop with me.
I found out about Katawa Shoujo through the forums of Misfile. There, I am the editor of Misfiled Dreams.

Completed: 100%, including bonus picture. Shizune>Emi>Lilly>Hanako>Rin

Griffon8's Writing
Blank Mage

Post by Blank Mage »

Regarding music, I listen to far, far too many orchestral and acoustic tracks not to recognize the power of a good soundtrack. Touhou will do that to a person.
And we're back.
-----------
"I think you just did."
brythain

Post by brythain »

Soundtrack good, especially if easily accessed. Will be interesting to compare with original KS. Much awaited. :)
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

I've been trying to place why Bad Apple (Cristina Vee's English version, even though she sounds more like a Vocaloid than an actual Vocaloid - autotuned, it appears, here's without autotune, and listening to it, she really needs it - because it actually fits this better and I don't care for subtitles) makes me think of KS (then again, a lot of things make me think of KS), and I just realized why it did.

Báthory in Her Castle.

Edit: And something I just thought of re: Iwanako being unable to take hormonal birth control, copper IUDs would still be an option, yes? In any case, that doesn't do anything about the whole "fucking a china doll" problem that forgetmenot brought up, but it does help with the whole pregnancy risk with PIV sex, especially when used in combination with condoms.
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!