Iwanako: Mean Time to Breakdown {updated 2015-4-1}

WORDS WORDS WORDS

HipsterJoe

Re: Iwanako: Mean Time to Breakdown {updated 2015-4-1}

Post by HipsterJoe »

I just recently discovered how high quality the writing on this board is and I've been devouring the stories here over the last few weeks. It was a cruel realization that for some of my favorite stories I now have to wait for updates like the rest of the plebes. :(

That said, this is one of the stories I'm most excited to read updates for. I love deconstructions and I hadn't truly realized how Hisao shaped the hole was until I got to the Emi collision. I unfortunately don't have anything insightful to add, but I am unbelievably excited to see Iwanako's relationship develop with the main cast.
YutoTheOrc

Post by YutoTheOrc »

I've had this on my bookmarked tab for a while, and I'm glad I finally had a chance to get around to reading it. I managed it in just a few days(Impressive for me :P).

I Have really enjoyed reading so far, and may I comment on your wonderful portrayal of Iwanako? I never gave her much thought, I just figured that she was just a normal girl, but what does constitute "normal"? I've never been so pleased to be proven wrong! :D I particularly enjoy your take on Iwanako's depression, it is a lot different than Hisao's, and I think that's better in all honesty.

As for the original character design, all I can do is slow clap you to victory! :lol: I loved your slight reference to one of my favourite Dewealer characters!

Keep up the excellent work, and I dream about the next update. :lol:
Last edited by YutoTheOrc on Wed May 11, 2016 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leaty

Post by Leaty »

(deadfic)
Last edited by Leaty on Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alpacalypse

Post by Alpacalypse »

Leaty wrote:I am very, very sorry.
You should be :evil:
In all seriousness, though, while the tone of the music does kinda fit the whole "Doesn't quite fit" vibe of MTtB, I cannot listen to it.
Sorry, Leaty. :(
I am the harbinger of your destruction... By herbivorous, mountain dwelling quadrupeds... fear me
---
I also write now, apparently. Since everyone else does it, I'm putting it here
---
I have also discovered that I'm a decent proofreader. Anybody with SPaG problems is free to PM me their work for a thorough analysis and/or evisceration. Depends on how I'm feeling.
YOTC

Post by YOTC »

I listened to it with good headphones on. I got blury vision after a bit from the disorientation of it jumping between the ear pieces so often. Love it.
Strongstache

Post by Strongstache »

The sax part (if you can even still call it that) reminded me of Splatoon. I don't even play Splatoon. Yet.

As a whole, this piece is reminiscent of Kenji's theme, Out Of The Loop. And it's hilarious.
Leaty

Post by Leaty »

(deadfic)
Blank Mage
Location: My own personal hell, with a metered internet connection.

Post by Blank Mage »

Leaty wrote:And yes, I did do all this solely because I needed a break from working on the next chapter.
Working on MTtB to take a break from MTtB? Can't fault that work ethic.
And we're back.
-----------
"I wish I could convey to you just how socially inept I am, but I can't."
"I think you just did."
"No, I really, truly haven't."
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

Soundtracking, eh? Always a curious pursuit to me. I am, of course, a sucker for bringing in things that require additional effort when it comes to reading--and music's always been an intriguing element to add in. The only problem I run into with this sort of thing is a difficulty in pacing. When you can control it, it's easier, but if you happen to be a fast reader, it's all too easy to finish sections before a melody's even got going. Which is, of course, part of what makes it fascinating to think about (does adding a soundtrack fundamentally alter the meaning a reader might take from a piece? should the reader read slower, in order to get the full effect? Does the music add enough to the experience to make that worth doing? Did I really spend money on the "soundtrack" to Shadows of the Empire when I was younger? Does the fact that even if I did I have no clear memory of having it on while I read that tome of somewhat questionable quality mean it was a waste of money and time? Why did I ever think the N64 game of the same name was any good when it's such a muddy fucking disaster? Discuss).

At any rate, I suppose I shall go back to waiting to see what else you'll do here.
FelOnyx

Post by FelOnyx »

Leaty wrote:Now that the crime has been committed, I suppose that all I can really do is apologize profusely for it.

I am very, very sorry.
I honestly like it.

No, I'm not stoned, honest.
AlexG wrote:For a moment there I thought Marx woke up as some kind of stripper in the middle ages
BlackGoldShooter wrote:This is what happens when children don't eat their vegetables. First they start manufacturing statuettes. Next they take over the world.
Leaty

Post by Leaty »

(deadfic)
Last edited by Leaty on Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

Leaty wrote:
TheHivemind wrote:Did I really spend money on the "soundtrack" to Shadows of the Empire when I was younger?
Counterpoint: I owned this. Even as a little girl listening to that album, I was like "what exactly the fuck is going on here?" The nineties were so weird.
OH MAN THAT FUCKING ALBUM. I did not own that but the kid across the street definitely did. I'm also pretty sure we only ever just listened to the one song. You know the one.

I like to give characters little theme songs when I write them (I'm pretty sure I've mentioned that most of Emi's character grew out of one song in particular which wasn't even released when I started writing the damn path (but when I re-wrote the path the final time, it was on basically 90% of the time), with another track basically soundtracking the entirety of the bad end. Bounce between those bands enough and you eventually get to what makes Emi tick, or at least what was in my head whenever I wrote her (I very nearly said "whenever I write her," but I don't write her anymore, do I? I daresay she'd be unrecognizable at this point if I did).

As a dude who definitely put a lot of thought into his own wrestling intro music (how the fuck did I never wind up in the hospital as a dumbass teen?), I can definitely understand the urge to give everyone a theme song. It's fortunate that in this case, themes and the like are quite warranted--and add something that is worth slowing down a bit to enjoy (also drugged out mixes of familiar tracks, when the occasion calls for it).
Alpacalypse

Post by Alpacalypse »

I had completely forgotten about how well-done that scene was. life of girl w/ arrhythmia seems to suck so much more than life of guy w/ arrhythmia The soundtracking makes it even more awesome (I was surprised to see songs from outside the KS ost, but then again, this story is not quite KS, so I probably shouldn't have been). Kudos to making one of the scenes where I really sympathise with your Iwanako that much better :D
TheHivemind wrote:one song in particular
Is it strange that I could totally see Emi playing the guitar for that song? Because I could totally see Emi playing the guitar for that song.
Now time to find those on I-tunes, because my I-pod requires some new music.
I am the harbinger of your destruction... By herbivorous, mountain dwelling quadrupeds... fear me
---
I also write now, apparently. Since everyone else does it, I'm putting it here
---
I have also discovered that I'm a decent proofreader. Anybody with SPaG problems is free to PM me their work for a thorough analysis and/or evisceration. Depends on how I'm feeling.
Leaty

Post by Leaty »

(deadfic)
emmjay

Post by emmjay »

Leaty wrote:The nineties were so weird.
No, the nineties were EXTREME! The eighties were weird. (After all, that's the decade that gave us both Weird Science and Weird Al.)
Last edited by emmjay on Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yuuko > Akira > Miki > Meiko > Sae.

Some one-shots I've written (Updated 7/29/2017)