Iwanako: Mean Time to Breakdown {updated 2015-4-1}

WORDS WORDS WORDS

griffon8

Re: Iwanako: Mean Time to Breakdown {UPDATED 2014-9-5!}

Post by griffon8 »

Leaty wrote:Edge of Spider-Verse #2
Interesting. Elseworlds for the Spider-Man/Marvel universe instead of DC.

I was never a big collector of DC comics, but I often picked up any Elseworlds comics I came across.
I found out about Katawa Shoujo through the forums of Misfile. There, I am the editor of Misfiled Dreams.

Completed: 100%, including bonus picture. Shizune>Emi>Lilly>Hanako>Rin

Griffon8's Writing
Bad Apple

Re: Iwanako: Mean Time to Breakdown {UPDATED 2014-9-5!}

Post by Bad Apple »

Leaty wrote:Slaughterhouse-Five
Oh right, Vonnegut. Derp. Now I feel kind of silly not figuring that one out by description earlier during my first readthrough. Image
So it goes.
Leaty wrote:What epiphany?
That the Nurse is absolutely right despite the sternness of his lecture(s). At least, I hope Iwanako takes heed before something even worse happens.
Mirage_GSM wrote:JG sounds like it would be pretty hard for me to suspend my disbelief while reading it...
Dystopian literature (before this recent faddish chic dystopian lite thing took hold after we were done with the undead) is about taking current social, economical and political trends and taking them to their logical extreme, usually as a cautionary tale. That being said, I have little trouble having to suspend my disbelief for allegories based on reality any more than other genres, especially, say, fantasy.
emmjay wrote:"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
— Robert A Heinlein, Time Enough For Love
Ah! One of my favorite Heinlein quotes. Hats off to you.
Incidentally Heinlein was also given to spouts of "crypto-misogyny" most often in the form of proto-mansplaining. Fun trivia!

As for the bird symbolism and other stuff, I mostly mentioned it because it hadn't been brought up yet. To be honest, I haven't gone about figuring it out yet (avian symbolism is alien to me), but I'm hazarding that it's foreshadowing.
"If the world is cold, make it your business to build fires."
— Horace Traubel
Solistor

Re: Iwanako: Mean Time to Breakdown {updated 2014-9-5}

Post by Solistor »

Very good to see this continuing. I'd add more but I'm currently in an insomniac daze and anything I had to say would most likely come out as a quasi-profound miscarriage of an ice cream koan.

So I'm just gonna leave a "Yesss mttb is back baby" and roll over to black out.
Leaty

Post by Leaty »

(deadfic)
Last edited by Leaty on Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brythain

Post by brythain »

Leaty wrote:Hi, everyone. If my absence seems curious, it's because I underwent another surgical operation last week. (Somewhat amusingly, I'm temporarily disabled for two months. I swear I'm not kidding.)

Anyway, the worst is over, so I have pretty lofty ambitions for the rest of the year as it pertains to this fic.
I'm glad you're on your way to a better state of health, and you sound very positive! I wish you all good things now and in advance. Also, I await the working-out of your ambitions with great interest. :)
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Reese8

Post by Reese8 »

Ah, good to hear; thank you.
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

Leaty wrote:(Somewhat amusingly, I'm temporarily disabled for two months.
I have pretty lofty ambitions for the rest of the year as it pertains to this fic.
Why do I get the feeling these two are somehow connected... :wink:

Anyway, best wishes to you, and looking forward to your continued efforts as always :).
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
Solistor

Post by Solistor »

Keep on fighting the good fight, man. In my opinion, a good story's worth waiting an eternity for.
Blank Mage
Location: My own personal hell, with a metered internet connection.

Post by Blank Mage »

Updates are updates, regardless of content. Thanks for keeping us informed, best of luck.
And we're back.
-----------
"I wish I could convey to you just how socially inept I am, but I can't."
"I think you just did."
"No, I really, truly haven't."
Costar58

Post by Costar58 »

Embarassingly I only stumbled onto this today, by sheer accident.
I'm really happy that I did because it's truly a great piece of work, keep on writing :D
HoneyBakedHam

Post by HoneyBakedHam »

Hey there, Leaty. Just wanted to know that I'm a big fan of your fanfic here and can't wait for more. Hope things are going well for you this holiday season.
ilikepie

Post by ilikepie »

I made an account just to tell you that I love this story and really hope it isn't dead. :oops:
Either way hope you are well. :mrgreen:
Leaty

Post by Leaty »

(deadfic)
Last edited by Leaty on Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reese8

Post by Reese8 »

Oh dear; I'm sorry you're having so much trouble. I hope life gets better for you soon.
HoneyBakedHam

Post by HoneyBakedHam »

Let's help Leaty! We could be like his partners, just minus any kisses to seal the deal.