Iwanako: Mean Time to Breakdown {updated 2015-4-1}

WORDS WORDS WORDS

brythain

Re: Iwanako: Mean Time to Breakdown {UPDATED 2014-9-5!}

Post by brythain »

Oscar Wildecat wrote:As far as the story as a whole: I consider Mean Time To Breakdown, Developments and Sisterhood to be the three best KS fanfics on the Internet (with After the Dream earning an honorable mention). So, It goes without saying that I loved the update -- except that I just said it. :)
To put it bluntly, getting any kind of mention in the same line as those three is great with me, feels like a win. :) On my third?—fourth?—read-through of MTTB, I have to say I join you in loving the update and all that went before. I feel that I should aspire to gain the control of language, and the care with which it is used to detail events, that Leaty shows.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
hyroglyphixs

Post by hyroglyphixs »

Finally got around to reading your new update! You cannot imagine how happy I was when I saw that there was not only 1, but 4 new chapters! :D

Onto the actual story: I loved every bit of it. After reading about how much trouble you had with the Nurse scene, I'm really glad it turned out the way it did. It definitely was the highlight for me this update. Seeing the conflict about the whole Emi situation (when is that going to be resolved, if ever :( ) as well as him seeing through Iwanako's lies was very compelling to read.

All in all, thanks a bunch for the update, I'm eagerly awaiting what you have in store next!
"No one knows what the future holds. That's why its potential is infinite" - Okabe Rintarou
El. Psy. Congroo~
Blank Mage
Location: My own personal hell, with a metered internet connection.

Post by Blank Mage »

Only just now getting a chance to finish this update. Wonderful, as always, by the way. I'll skip the obvious praise and commentary, since it's all been said before.

One aspect of the nurse scene that struck me was the similarities between Emi and Iwanako. Both deflect gestures of compassion and assistance, often turning on the one offering it, because they see these things as accusations, proof that they can't take care of themselves. Their reasons are different, but the results are the same. I feel for Nurse. It's a thankless job sometimes, eh?

It warms my heart to see Shizune portrayed in a manner that fits my mental image of her. Despite all her grand ambitions and arbitrary competitions, Shizune really does want to make people happy. Here's hoping that the Student Council can salvage some of their credibility with our cynical protagonist.

I still ship Hawanako, of course. God help me, I ship AU characters and what have I become?
Last edited by Blank Mage on Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And we're back.
-----------
"I wish I could convey to you just how socially inept I am, but I can't."
"I think you just did."
"No, I really, truly haven't."
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

I'm still not sure about Shizune's motivations...
Misha's refusal to translate might have a deeper reason after all.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
KrisIsLyra

Post by KrisIsLyra »

Misha x Iwanako OTP
the61scissors

Post by the61scissors »

A marvelous update with some interesting insights into Iwanako's character. I want to say that she is a lot more anti-authority and bitter in her thoughts than Hisao, but then again Iwanako seemed to go back to the hospital for more soul-crushing before she got the chance to settle down completely. Hell, I think the only point in the story so far where Iwanako might have been truly happy was her tea party with Lily and Hanako. I hope those two become her main social group, because the three have some lovely chemistry together (I can just imagine Iwanako trying to out-Yamato Nadeshiko an oblivious Lily as a running gag) and I think that, together, the three might be able to face their issues. I don't even care if Iwanako is paired with either of them or not (okay, I do think Iwana-Hana-ko could be very cute).

The only problem I have with this fic is how Iwanako's mother was dealt with. I suppose what we saw of her before leaving Iwanako at Yamaku makes running off to Europe days later somewhat possible, but the phone conversation she had with Iwanako made her come off so shallow, it would have been comical if it weren't so awful for Iwanako. I do hope that Iwanako's parents at least get an opportunity to not come across as more believable.

Other than that, this fic is magnificent. It looks like Iwanako will have to deal with unwanted attention from both students and faculty, and I can't wait to see what happens.
Numb

Post by Numb »

How have I not posted here yet?

You captured my interest a while ago, but this update has gotten me hooked. I'd post some log wall of praise, by I'm on my phone and the typing isn't exactly the best. All I can say without blabbering on and getting annoyed at the keyboard that doesn't register my key presses fast enough is great job, though those words don't do this justice.
Currently working on: Notes for a new project (Coming Soon™)
I did KS and other songs on note blocks in Minecraft: Playlist here
Old works| Rooftops - An Emi Story| Christmas with the Hakamichis | Not Like Him - Rin Perspective|Blossom - A Miki pseudo-route
Leaty

Post by Leaty »

(deadfic)
Last edited by Leaty on Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

Leaty wrote:Though in text Iwanako has only really remarked on her similarity to Hanako, the same could be said about Lilly
Leaty wrote:As Lilly begins to pour my cup of tea, working around her blindness with one digit of what a romantic would probably call pianist’s hands, it hits me that Lilly Satou does a better Iwanako than I do.
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
Leaty

Post by Leaty »

(deadfic)
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

Leaty wrote:
Oscar Wildecat wrote:As far as the Iwanako's role in story so far: I wonder if she's in the KS Fanfiction "Green Room" at the moment comparing notes with Developments!Hanako about having allergic reactions to well-intentioned advice.
That was kind of weird. It's funny that Dewelar and I both had the idea to reference each other's characters at approximately the same time, too. There wasn't really any collusion at all.
I can vouch for this. If there had been, Lilly would have referred to Momomi as Momomi in her thoughts, after all. I should probably go fix that now :) .
Leaty wrote:
Oscar Wildecat wrote:As far as the story as a whole: I consider Mean Time To Breakdown, Developments and Sisterhood to be the three best KS fanfics on the Internet (with After the Dream earning an honorable mention). So, It goes without saying that I loved the update -- except that I just said it. :)
I... wow. I really don't know what to do with that praise. Those are some of my favorite fics, too. Thank you so much.
Indeed, the fact that Developments has been getting tossed around as being comparable to this story and Sisterhood never ceases to astound me as well (AtD is no slouch either :wink:). I am honored that anyone would say so.
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
SirKaid

Post by SirKaid »

I think the similarity between Iwanako and Rin, at least to Hisao, is more in the negative space. Hisao thinks of them both (at least up to the heart attack) as mysteries to be uncovered and deciphered.

We don't see much of it with Iwanako due to her extremely limited screen time, but the opening scene always leaves me with the impression that Hisao is there primarily to satisfy his curiosity and that the fact that the girl is cute is just a bonus.

Also, I'll second all those posters calling this one of the best fanfics in the fandom. I'm definitely pleased to see it continue.
emmjay

Post by emmjay »

Leaty wrote:
hyroglyphixs wrote:The whole Emi situation (when is that going to be resolved, if ever :(
I have some very wonderful plans in mind.
Eeeeeevil plans? (Here's hoping.) :twisted:
Perhaps she's a little exaggerated, but I certainly think she's more believable than Jigoro.
That's not exactly raising the bar very high, you know. But seriously, I don't find her reaction that unbelievable. Hey, compared to some parents out there, she's a model of attentiveness and devotion.
Yuuko > Akira > Miki > Meiko > Sae.

Some one-shots I've written (Updated 7/29/2017)
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Leaty wrote:I'd really like to finish my Katawa Shoujo fic while people still care about Katawa Shoujo.
Well, that at least doesn't seem to be a problem. 8) So far.
Leaty wrote:Oh, God. Have I started a shipping war?
Appropriately adjusted. :roll:
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Leaty

Post by Leaty »

(deadfic)