Iwanako: Mean Time to Breakdown {updated 2015-4-1}

WORDS WORDS WORDS
poopooface
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:42 pm
Location: Deptford, NJ, US

Re: Iwanako: Mean Time to Breakdown {updated 2/23/2014}

Post by poopooface » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:52 pm

CaveRave wrote:Mean Time to Delay.
Nice one!
Hanako>Lilly>Emi>Rin>Shizune

User avatar
Leaty
Posts: 515
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 9:18 pm
Location: Exile

Re: Iwanako: Mean Time to Breakdown {updated 2/23/2014}

Post by Leaty » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:06 pm

Okay, all of you, stop shitting up my thread.

Reese8
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:46 pm

Re: Iwanako: Mean Time to Breakdown {updated 2/23/2014}

Post by Reese8 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:11 pm

For what it's worth, I don't mind waiting. I'd rather have it done well than rushed out. Besides, as the MTTB increases, so does the reliability. :D

azumeow
Posts: 409
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:04 am

Re: Iwanako: Mean Time to Breakdown {updated 2/23/2014}

Post by azumeow » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:31 am

I LOVED the scene with Emi! It frustrated me to no end that she's able to get away with so much crap. Hell, I did a KS roleplay on another site, and the very first thing that happened was a massive collision. I threw in a reference to "a friend" of my character's who'd almost died that way the year before, and when Iwanako ended up getting hospitalized, I was hoping against hope that Emi got hit HARD.
"I don’t want to be here anymore, I know there’s nothing left worth staying for.
Your paradise is something I’ve endured
See I don’t think I can fight this anymore, I’m listening with one foot out the door
And something has to die to be reborn-I don’t want to be here anymore"

User avatar
Leaty
Posts: 515
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 9:18 pm
Location: Exile

Re: Iwanako: Mean Time to Breakdown {updated 2/23/2014}

Post by Leaty » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:19 pm

azumeow wrote:I LOVED the scene with Emi! It frustrated me to no end that she's able to get away with so much crap. Hell, I did a KS roleplay on another site, and the very first thing that happened was a massive collision. I threw in a reference to "a friend" of my character's who'd almost died that way the year before, and when Iwanako ended up getting hospitalized, I was hoping against hope that Emi got hit HARD.
Thank you! I admit I've honestly always been more than a little taken aback by the amount of readers who were frustrated with Emi's ability to avoid karma during the VN. It never really bothered me that she got away with as much shit as she did, and writing that scene, I really wondered if I was being too hard on her. I had never even imagined that so many readers would find Iwanako's response so cathartic.

It honestly puts a lot of pressure on me, because I seem to have stumbled onto something really special with that scene and I don't want the rest of the fic to go downhill from there.

poopooface
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:42 pm
Location: Deptford, NJ, US

Re: Iwanako: Mean Time to Breakdown {updated 2/23/2014}

Post by poopooface » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:33 pm

bhtooefr wrote:Someone's asking to be cooked into a poopoo platter.
I'm just asking why if he has 900 words, why not post them?
Hanako>Lilly>Emi>Rin>Shizune

bhtooefr
Posts: 1353
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:20 pm
Location: Newark, OH
Contact:

Re: Iwanako: Mean Time to Breakdown {updated 2/23/2014}

Post by bhtooefr » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:38 pm

poopooface wrote:I'm just asking why if he has 900 words, why not post them?
Leaty wrote:Actually, Scene Twelve is done. Problem is, it's only about 900 words, and I need to have a discussion with my braintrust once the next two scenes are finished about whether the manner in which I'm deciding to conduct this is even meaningful.
Sounds like it's not really ready, so she doesn't want to release yet until she's sure it is.

Part of the writing process (if you're trying to create a quality work, anyway) is not necessarily releasing every chapter right as it's done. Each chapter sets up events in the next chapter, and sometimes it's important to wait until you're a few chapters ahead, before releasing a chapter. Otherwise, you could end up writing yourself into a corner, and have to retcon already released material, or end up with a worse story.
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!

YOTC
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:24 am

Re: Iwanako: Mean Time to Breakdown {updated 2/23/2014}

Post by YOTC » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:40 pm

poopooface wrote:
Leaty wrote:Okay, all of you, stop shitting up my thread.
No requesting.
Stop being "that guy". Doesn't help anyone. Posting half finished writing is never good for an author. Or them write and when they're happy with what they have post it. If they're not happy with what they've posted there less likely to continue doing so. Personal experience.

poopooface
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:42 pm
Location: Deptford, NJ, US

Re: Iwanako: Mean Time to Breakdown {updated 2/23/2014}

Post by poopooface » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:54 pm

bhtooefr wrote:
poopooface wrote:I'm just asking why if he has 900 words, why not post them?
Leaty wrote:Actually, Scene Twelve is done. Problem is, it's only about 900 words, and I need to have a discussion with my braintrust once the next two scenes are finished about whether the manner in which I'm deciding to conduct this is even meaningful.
Sounds like it's not really ready, so she doesn't want to release yet until she's sure it is.

Part of the writing process (if you're trying to create a quality work, anyway) is not necessarily releasing every chapter right as it's done. Each chapter sets up events in the next chapter, and sometimes it's important to wait until you're a few chapters ahead, before releasing a chapter. Otherwise, you could end up writing yourself into a corner, and have to retcon already released material, or end up with a worse story.
Thanks for the explanation.
Hanako>Lilly>Emi>Rin>Shizune

User avatar
Panthour
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:57 am
Location: Cyprus

Re: Iwanako: Mean Time to Breakdown {updated 2/23/2014}

Post by Panthour » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:58 pm

Leaty wrote:
azumeow wrote:I LOVED the scene with Emi! It frustrated me to no end that she's able to get away with so much crap. Hell, I did a KS roleplay on another site, and the very first thing that happened was a massive collision. I threw in a reference to "a friend" of my character's who'd almost died that way the year before, and when Iwanako ended up getting hospitalized, I was hoping against hope that Emi got hit HARD.
Thank you! I admit I've honestly always been more than a little taken aback by the amount of readers who were frustrated with Emi's ability to avoid karma during the VN. It never really bothered me that she got away with as much shit as she did, and writing that scene, I really wondered if I was being too hard on her. I had never even imagined that so many readers would find Iwanako's response so cathartic.

It honestly puts a lot of pressure on me, because I seem to have stumbled onto something really special with that scene and I don't want the rest of the fic to go downhill from there.
I really enjoyed this scene despite my love for Emi. Hisao took the collision well (as well as he could all things considered) and there were no hard feelings, so It was really interesting to see the consequences of Emi's actions here.

I can't help but feel bad for Emi in this situation though, especially with that comment about the drunk driver :(
S-Class Wizard. Emi is my waifu.

azumeow
Posts: 409
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:04 am

Re: Iwanako: Mean Time to Breakdown {updated 2/23/2014}

Post by azumeow » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:00 pm

Panthour wrote:
Leaty wrote:
azumeow wrote:I LOVED the scene with Emi! It frustrated me to no end that she's able to get away with so much crap. Hell, I did a KS roleplay on another site, and the very first thing that happened was a massive collision. I threw in a reference to "a friend" of my character's who'd almost died that way the year before, and when Iwanako ended up getting hospitalized, I was hoping against hope that Emi got hit HARD.
Thank you! I admit I've honestly always been more than a little taken aback by the amount of readers who were frustrated with Emi's ability to avoid karma during the VN. It never really bothered me that she got away with as much shit as she did, and writing that scene, I really wondered if I was being too hard on her. I had never even imagined that so many readers would find Iwanako's response so cathartic.

It honestly puts a lot of pressure on me, because I seem to have stumbled onto something really special with that scene and I don't want the rest of the fic to go downhill from there.
I really enjoyed this scene despite my love for Emi. Hisao took the collision well (as well as he could all things considered) and there were no hard feelings, so It was really interesting to see the consequences of Emi's actions here.

I can't help but feel bad for Emi in this situation though, especially with that comment about the drunk driver :(
I don't. I really don't. She has PTSD from what happened to her. And yet, at a school for the seriously disabled, despite being repeatedly told not to (both Shizune's and Lilly's version of the encounter suggest that it was far from the first time) she runs through the halls at breakneck pace.

MAYBE I could forgive that, if she hadn't already nearly killed somebody by doing it. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
"I don’t want to be here anymore, I know there’s nothing left worth staying for.
Your paradise is something I’ve endured
See I don’t think I can fight this anymore, I’m listening with one foot out the door
And something has to die to be reborn-I don’t want to be here anymore"

User avatar
Leaty
Posts: 515
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 9:18 pm
Location: Exile

Re: Iwanako: Mean Time to Breakdown {updated 2/23/2014}

Post by Leaty » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:34 am

azumeow wrote:MAYBE I could forgive that, if she hadn't already nearly killed somebody by doing it. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
It's been so long since I came up with that scene that I literally forgot that the previous incident had been based on actual blatant suggestions in the source text (and wasn't something I pulled out of my ass to make Emi even less sympathetic):

Image

Even accounting for the fact that Kenji is unreliable and almost certainly exaggerating, it seems reasonable to me that Emi has sent at least one student to the hospital before, hence the Brittle Bone Kid.

azumeow
Posts: 409
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:04 am

Re: Iwanako: Mean Time to Breakdown {updated 2/23/2014}

Post by azumeow » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:47 am

Leaty wrote:
azumeow wrote:MAYBE I could forgive that, if she hadn't already nearly killed somebody by doing it. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
It's been so long since I came up with that scene that I literally forgot that the previous incident had been based on actual blatant suggestions in the source text (and wasn't something I pulled out of my ass to make Emi even less sympathetic):
http://i.imgur.com/w1MxyhX.png

Even accounting for the fact that Kenji is unreliable and almost certainly exaggerating, it seems reasonable to me that Emi has sent at least one student to the hospital before, hence the Brittle Bone Kid.
That's one of my issues with her. I like her, I really do, but she's like my roommate: you gotta ignore some of the....questionable behavior, but other than that she's pretty good.

Alright, Fastest Thing on No Legs, you have come to terms with your disability. And for the most part, you've wrestled it into submission. I'm glad for you, really.

But not everybody has that luxury. Even Hisao is comparatively lucky when it comes down to it. Yes, he has the whole "I can die from a fall or running too hard" thing, but he can at least get his heart in better shape. You can't fix brittle bones. Well, yeah, they'll heal, but they're still gonna be ready to snap again.

Monoplegia: paralysis of one arm. There's no fixing that. You can only ever work around that.
Rheumatoid arthritis: Oh, yay, spending everyday bordering on crippling pain. Yes, so much fun. Aside from becoming a vicodin addict, not much to help THAT, either.
Narcolepsy: Find work-arounds, and death is still a threat. Every. Single. Day. The Suzu Pseudo-route shows this pretty well. (EDIT: Well, apparently not. There's still the whole persistent sleepiness and cataplexia, but those can be managed it seems.)
Haemophilia: Better hope the hospital has some clotting factor on standby, or you dead son.
Sickle-cell anemia? Just another life of constant, crippling pain. Yep.

Emi has it lucky. I'm sure she knows that. But she doesn't recognize it. Her condition isn't life-threatening. For plenty of others, it is and always will be.

Hell, if she had run into Haruhiko, resident haemophiliac, the internal bleeding could've easily killed him. You brought up brittle bone kid. Even running into someone in a wheelchair or with a support cane would have been reason enough for her to just listen to people and slow herself down a bit. But no.

Maybe you think I'm being hard on her. I think Iwanako could have done NOTHING better than to drop that drunk-driver line. A little perspective can do wonders.
Last edited by azumeow on Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I don’t want to be here anymore, I know there’s nothing left worth staying for.
Your paradise is something I’ve endured
See I don’t think I can fight this anymore, I’m listening with one foot out the door
And something has to die to be reborn-I don’t want to be here anymore"

User avatar
Mirage_GSM
Posts: 5979
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:24 am
Location: Germany

Re: Iwanako: Mean Time to Breakdown {updated 2/23/2014}

Post by Mirage_GSM » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:33 am

Narcolepsy: Find work-arounds, and death is still a threat. Every. Single. Day. The Suzu Pseudo-route shows this pretty well.
No.
The Suzu Pseudo-Route shows a highly unrealistic version of Narcolepsy that is about as close to an accurate depiction of the disorder as we are from world peace. For details see the Prof's rant here.

Narcolepsy is NOT a life-threatening condition.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.

azumeow
Posts: 409
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:04 am

Re: Iwanako: Mean Time to Breakdown {updated 2/23/2014}

Post by azumeow » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:41 am

Mirage_GSM wrote:
Narcolepsy: Find work-arounds, and death is still a threat. Every. Single. Day. The Suzu Pseudo-route shows this pretty well.
No.
The Suzu Pseudo-Route shows a highly unrealistic version of Narcolepsy that is about as close to an accurate depiction of the disorder as we are from world peace. For details see the Prof's rant here.

Narcolepsy is NOT a life-threatening condition.
Point accepted.
"I don’t want to be here anymore, I know there’s nothing left worth staying for.
Your paradise is something I’ve endured
See I don’t think I can fight this anymore, I’m listening with one foot out the door
And something has to die to be reborn-I don’t want to be here anymore"

Post Reply