The United States of Misha (Misha Post Shizune Good End)

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Hoitash

Re: The United States of Misha (Misha Post Shizune Good End)

Post by Hoitash »

JTemby wrote: Last point to make, before I started reading I took note that you decided to work with Themocaw's Shizune epilogue canon and was REALLY hoping you'd take more effort to work that into the story.
I looked to his epilogue mostly for aesthetics- Shizune's appearance is based his rendition- and the long engagement. The Misha I had wasn't really in line with his Misha, so the two fics couldn't work together as well as I may have liked.

Glad you enjoyed it, and sorry my writing skills are so lackluster. I've never had audience feedback like this before, so hopefully any future work I do won't be so subpar :).
"Who are you, that do not know your history?" -Ulysses
Misha Time: United States of Misha Meet the Hakamichis
Awesome, served on the rocks: Hisao and Kenji- Master Detectives! (Check out the Archive for more!)
I wrote a book! Brythain edited it! If you like mystery and history please consider: A Sister's Habit
"You are absolutely insane. And entertaining." -griffon8
JTemby

Post by JTemby »

Hoitash wrote: I looked to his epilogue mostly for aesthetics- Shizune's appearance is based his rendition- and the long engagement. The Misha I had wasn't really in line with his Misha, so the two fics couldn't work together as well as I may have liked.
Fair enough.
My lingering expectations were stuff like Misha's reaction to the text messages from Shizune in reference to the scene when Misha scolds Haiso for being hesitant in opening up to Shizune emotionally. I am aware that, in the canon, that scene take place long after your Chapter 19, and by then you were probably feeling writer's fatigue so it's understandable.
Hoitash wrote: Glad you enjoyed it, and sorry my writing skills are so lackluster. I've never had audience feedback like this before, so hopefully any future work I do won't be so subpar :).
Knowing you can only ever get better works for some good motivation, although, with that said, trust me when I say my writing skills are no where near better than yours. :wink:
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

Not so much writing fatigue as I had finally gotten to the point in the story where I wanted to end, but your point still stands.
JTemby wrote: Knowing you can only ever get better works for some good motivation...
True, though the journey is a long, arduous one. Fortunately I am always prepared for travel! Where's my flask...

Oh, and to those who are interested: as a certain someone's birthday is...three months away, to expect a one-shot at the end of that time span would not be a leap of faith.
Last edited by Hoitash on Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Awesome, served on the rocks: Hisao and Kenji- Master Detectives! (Check out the Archive for more!)
I wrote a book! Brythain edited it! If you like mystery and history please consider: A Sister's Habit
YourFavAnon

Post by YourFavAnon »

Just knocked this one out in one sitting. Enjoyed it a ton, was structured and paced extremely well. Some spelling / grammar mistakes, but when you write so many chapters I'm sure that can bet the last thing on your mind.

Kudos to you for sticking it out, was actually pretty sad to see it come to an end.
I write things occasionally.

Dumps of my 35+ fics can be found here and here (including some non-KS stuff).
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

YourFavAnon wrote:Just knocked this one out in one sitting. Enjoyed it a ton, was structured and paced extremely well. Some spelling / grammar mistakes, but when you write so many chapters I'm sure that can bet the last thing on your mind.

Kudos to you for sticking it out, was actually pretty sad to see it come to an end.
Thanks, I do what I can :)
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

I feel like I should make a new account so I can railroad your story like a boss, point out every meticulous flaw, and stab at your characters with a deadly quill - enough of the praise, where's the pain!

Yeah I don't actually think most of that, but the distinct lack of anyone bashing you over the head with a grammar book or calling you names, or whatever else critics do to sate their superiority complex kind of irks me...

I'm way too lazy, though.
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

I'm well aware of how much I suck, don't worry :wink:

You wouldn't need an alt account- I'm a hack writer. I don't endorse it, and I don't deny it :)
quack_duck

Post by quack_duck »

I realize this is over a year later, but I can't help but point something out...

What Misha was to Shizune, Kelly became to Misha. Now I feel like I need a fanfic giving Kelly the happy ending, because isn't that only fair?

Just an interesting parallel that I couldn't help but notice. Otherwise, a great and very different take on where Misha could end up. Thank you for this, all this time later.
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

quack_duck wrote:I realize this is over a year later, but I can't help but point something out...

What Misha was to Shizune, Kelly became to Misha. Now I feel like I need a fanfic giving Kelly the happy ending, because isn't that only fair?

Just an interesting parallel that I couldn't help but notice.
That is an excellent point.

The key difference is that Misha realizes it, and is willing to part rather then keep the wound open. I also feel Kelly is a bit more emotionally stable, so she'll recover more easily than Misha did.

A follow-up fic wouldn't be a bad idea, though. I kinda figured the two saw each other around campus every now and then, maybe chatted a bit, but never did anything one-on-one. I mean, they'd see each other at the LGBT meetings, if nothing else.
Otherwise, a great and very different take on where Misha could end up. Thank you for this, all this time later.
You are very welcome, and thanks for reading :). This was my first real stab at fan fiction, and I'm glad it's still readable, even if it is a bit (or a lot) rough.