What Lies Beneath: Updated 5/15/12 Chapter 5 now up

WORDS WORDS WORDS

WolfStreak

Re: What Lies Beneath

Post by WolfStreak »

Thanks to everyone who commented. After reading the feedback I decided that an index is the best way for everyone to navigate with ease. And with that I give you Chapter 2...Enjoy!

Chapter 2 - Getting Your Head Together: Part 1of 2

Iwanako...

Why is she here? The last time I heard from her she sent me a letter, from my perspective the letter was a final goodbye. A confirmation of sorts that there was no longer a relationship between us, not that there was much of one to begin with. One line in particular comes to mind, "I wonder if we will meet again, perhaps it's for the best if we don't?" This line was what led me to believe that the letter was no more then a formality, to give herself, possibly myself as well, closure about what had happened between us.

I never saw the letter as being necessary, after her final visit and the short goodbye we exchanged, she never visited again. I never tried to contact her either assuming that she moved on. That is why I saw the letter as more for her, rather then me. Whether it was to give her closure, or if she saw it as something she needed to do to truly "let go" and move on with her life I don't know.

The fact still remains that right now, at this very moment she is standing there in the doorway, not Emi, but Iwanako, smiling, crying, overjoyed to see that after nearly two years of visiting me, talking to me while I lay unconscious, I am finally awake.

Before Dr. Anderson or I can say anything she calls out to me, sobbing.

"Hi-Hisaooo!" She says while rubbing tears from her eyes.

"They said you might never wake up." She steps closer to me, and with every step, her composure starts to falter. All of her pent up emotions start to leak out. All this time she had been waiting for me, and now finally I'm back in her life.

"But I knew it wasn't true, you wouldn't leave me alone."

She's crying as she walks over to me. Dr. Anderson is smiling at us both. His personality must be of one who gets great satisfaction in seeing someone that was under his care wake up and be reunited with their family and friends.

Unfortunately, I am still very confused and as Iwanako approaches me, my expression changes as I speak.

"I-Iwanako? What are you doing here?" I say as she stops in front of me, arms spread open as if to embrace a long lost lover.

"What do you mean?" She says, relaxing her arms. Her face changes to one of confusion and sadness.

"Mr. Nakai, is this young lady not your girlfriend?" Dr. Anderson asks his smile now starting to fade as well.

"I-I'm not sure..." Iwanako makes a face similar to the one during my first heart attack. It shows a look of being dejected, destroyed, as if all hope is lost. Here I am, the man she has waited almost two years for, and I don't even know who she is to me.

"You don't remember me?" She says in a very distraught tone.

"I don't know." This is all I can say for now. Talking to her about what I experienced while unconscious might not be the best for her current state of mind. I still have no idea what is going on. According to Dr. Anderson, my heart is perfectly healthy. My hospitalization was caused by a stroke, and not a heart attack brought on by my now seemingly nonexistent arrhythmia.

"Dr. Anderson, did he lose all his memory?"

"It's possible. Having a stroke puts a major strain on the brain. In most cases people who suffer strokes can have slurred speech, difficulty moving parts of their body, and in some cases, are left with permanent mental disability. I'm astonished that he doesn't have anything more than mild amnesia." At his words her expression darkens even further.

"Even so. He said my name when I first came through the door, so he must still remember something!" After saying this she brightens up some and turns to Dr. Anderson waiting for a response.

"Yes, this is true. However when he first woke up he was asking for a..." The doctor stops mid sentence seeing me waving him off. Telling him to hold off on telling her what it was that I said.

"Asking for a what?" Confusion returns to her once more. She glances back at me, my hands now back at my sides anxiously waiting for their conversation to continue.

"Now that I recall, that was actually another patient in the room across the hall. It's been a long day and I have spoken to many patients today, my apologies." She nods in understanding as he continues.

"However I do recall him saying something that is worth mentioning. When he first woke up he was under the impression that he was diagnosed with arrhythmia, and that his hospitalization was a result of a heart attack. From my examination earlier, I can see no evidence that would suggest his heart has ever had any vascular problems. Does he have an underlying medical condition that we overlooked when he was admitted?"

"No, or at least not that I am aware of. Before his stroke he was perfectly healthy. He and I would exercise, as well as eat healthy to make sure we stayed in shape. He never had so much as a cold while we where dating."

From what she is saying, I can make the assumption we had been dating for at the very least, a few months before I had my stroke. Emi, Yamaku, everything I remember... could it be that it was just a dream?

For now it might be best for me to put thoughts of Yamaku aside. Iwanako is in-front of me right now. And seeing as she is supposedly my girlfriend, she would most-likely know best what my life was like before the coma.

As I get ready to bombard her with a game of twenty questions, my stomach growls indicating it is running on empty.

"Miss Iwanako, I am sure you both have a lot of catching up to do, but unfortunately that will have to wait. Visiting hours are coming to a close, and Mr. Nakai could use some real food in his system."

"Oh I see. I must have lost track of time. It was already so late when I got here that I didn't even realize."

"It's quite alright. I would imagine having the one you love wake up after so long would have that effect on you." A slight tinge of red makes its way across her face as she nods.

"Hisao, I'll come by tomorrow. If that's alright with you that is." I nod. I still want to ask what her side of my life's story so far is like. As she walks off I start to let everything that has been said today sink in. As she turns to leave she stops half way and looks back.

"I almost forgot. I called your mother and father, and they where unable to catch a train for today. They said that tomorrow they would be here." This is good, I can confirm with them whether or not what she is saying is true, about the two of us being in a relationship. Although I see no reason for her to lie, and I am looking forward to hearing more about it tomorrow, I am still a bit skeptical. As she is leaving Dr. Anderson grabs my attention.

"Shall we head to the cafeteria? Most hospitals have horrible food, but at the very least the food here is on par with low budget family restaurants, so it won't be mamma's home cooking, but it will be better then protein paste, oatmeal, and jello that taste like cold medicine." Food does sound good. Maybe after eating something, I will be able to think more clearly and better assess my situation.

After making our way to the cafeteria, we stop and order our food. I order what Dr. Anderson recommends, porridge. According to him porridge was the best food available to me right now. Both in terms of taste, and ease of eating it. Having just woken up, my stomach is not used to eating solid foods yet.

Having finished eating I decide to ask him some things now that my head is less foggy, and my thoughts are more clear.

"Dr. Anderson, may I ask a few questions?" He stops eating, and folds up the paper he was reading. Placing it down on the table in front of him.

"Of course you may Hisao, but please you can call me Troy." It feels a bit strange to address him in such a manner, but I have no reason to refuse his friendly demeanor.

"Alright, Troy it is then." He gives a smile and gestures for me to continue speaking.

"I had a stroke, and not a heart attack?"

"Yes, more specifically a hemorrhagic stroke. It is a form of stroke that causes bleeding into the brain causing tissue damage. We never determined what caused the initial bleeding, but the surgery had apparently gone well. Seeing as you aren't drooling uncontrollably." He chuckles at that last bit. His sense of humor is a bit odd, but at least he is trying to lighten the mood.

"Were there any signs or symptoms that I should look out for? Am I at risk of it happening again?" I want to make sure that if I am still at risk for stroke, that I know what to look for so I might be able to avoid being in a coma again. Next time I might not wake up.

"We did a multitude of tests on you, and as I said before, we never determined what it was that caused it. As far as symptoms you would have probably had bad migraines in the hours, possibly even days leading up to your hospitalization, and subsequent coma." So migraines are a possible sign that I might be having another stroke. I'll make sure to keep that in mind.

"As far as your risk for having another stroke is concerned. The tests we ran showed nothing that would lead us to believe you are at higher risk for stroke than any other average man your age. We never found any underlying cause, so it would seem that you just ran into a bit of bad luck with yours." Bad luck seems like an understatement, but if he didn't find anything that makes me higher risk for another stroke. The I guess I don't really have a reason to complain.

"And my memory, will it come back?" I don't remember anything about having a relationship with Iwanako. The last time I remember seeing her was in my hospital room, for my first heart attack.

I do however still remember Emi. She and I were in love. Emi was what I was living for, and a future with her. Now it seems as if that is all just an illusion. A cruel trick played out by my own subconscious.

"Don't worry Hisao. These things take time, and I'm confident that you will remember everything prior to the stroke." I hope he is right, and I hope it is sooner rather then later.

"Come on now don't look so down. You remembered you woman's name didn't you? Your better off then me. I can't remember my wife's name half the time. What with me always addressing her as "dear" or "honey." His smile is positively booming. He's trying his best to cheer me up, so I smile at him. Trying my best to cover up my doubts about all that has happened in the past few hours.

The next few hours go by with Troy and I getting to know one another better while I eat. Given my current state of mind. I can't really say much to him about my likes, dislikes, or even what I was going to school for when I had my coma. I almost said chemical science, but that doesn't really apply anymore. That was all just a dream. None of what I "learned" can be applied to anything outside my head.

So instead he gives me a short summary of is life. He was a medical student in from the united states. He came over here to observe the culture and learn to speak Japanese. After finishing medical school, and returning to Japan for a more permanent stay, he applied as a surgeon at a well known hospital. Instead he got placed in this medical facility. At a position overlooking the patients and staff. He tells me this facility was built to be more efficient in handling patients such as myself, and to have their own "private" hospital of sorts.

After he finishes his short rant about how he didn't get the position because he wasn't a native, he checks the time and decides he shouldn't keep his wife waiting for him all night. After walking me back to my room, and informing me of what each button on my bed does, as well as how the two way intercom works.
He gets ready to go home for the night.

"Alright Mr. Nakai, I believe that everything is in order. You get a good nights sleep now you hear?" Still smiling at me he extends his hand for me to shake.

"I will Dr. Ander...I mean Troy." His smile widens as he shakes my hand.

"It was a pleasure waking you Mr. Nakai, I have nothing but the utmost confidence that you will be just fine. There has not been very many patients wake up and name people on site like you did with Miss Iwanako."

"I see so not everyone wakes up drooling uncontrollably then?" I shoot him a playful grin.

"That will have to wait for another time. I must get up early you see... I have to prepare my best hospital gown for your reunion date with your family!" His last statement causes us both to laugh as he leaves for the night.

As I settle down into the bed to let myself sleep. My mind wanders to thoughts of Emi, and of her running on the track field back in high school. Her fellow track mates, me, and even Rin cheering her on as she runs past the other runners who are seeming to stand still as she passes them, and before and before long I am drifting off to sleep. Still remembering my days at Yamaku.
Streak as in streaking by at the speed of light.
Not the naked kind of streak...
That would just be odd >.>
WolfStreak

Re: What Lies Beneath

Post by WolfStreak »

Chapter 2 - Getting Your Head Together: Part 2 of 2

I'm sitting in a room, one that I have visited many times before. Lilly is preparing tea for us. Hanako and I are just finishing a game of Chess. Once again, it is her win.

"Good game."

"Yeah it was f-fun."

"Yeah. I still say that you let me win that first time we played. I never have beaten you again." Her face has a look of surprise as she waves her arms in-front of herself.

"N-No I w-wouldn't do that!" I chuckle a little after she is done waving her hands and she lets out a small giggle as well. Just then, I turn to see how Lilly is doing with our tea.

As she is walking over to us, tray in hand, she stumbles a bit causing one of the teacups to fall to the ground with a loud crash.

--------------------------------------------

The loud noise awakens me, where I find Dr. Anderson standing in the doorway, tray in hand.

"Right..." I say aloud, remembering that it was all just a dream. But even so, why was I in the tea room with Satou and Ikezawa? From what I recall, the only time I talked to either of them was my first few days at Yamaku. After that, I was always with Rin and Emi.

"Emi..."

"Good morning Hisao, doing well this morning I hope." His smile is as radiant as ever, in his hands he has a tray of food.

"I bought breakfast! Porridge and juice. The best start to any day!" He puts the tray down in-front of me.

"Thanks. I appreciate it." He smiles at me again, every time he does it feels somewhat familiar.

"No problem, but you have to buy dinner." He and I share a laugh.

After finishing my breakfast, he examines me once more to make sure that everything is in working order.
He hands me a bag with my belongings, along with a change of clothes that had been brought to me by my parents a few days after my stroke. They must have been unaware of the seriousness of my condition.

After getting dressed, I ask if there is a library in the building for patients and staff to use. Unfortunately, there is not. Because this hospital's majority of patients are comatose, the need for patient entertainment is fairly low. I resort to flipping through channels on the small television to kill time before my parents arrive. Thankfully, it's not long before they show up. It's not long before Iwanako shows up, either. After greeting my parents, I ask them about the relationship between Iwanako and they let her explain.

It would appear that when she confessed to me my heart attack never happened. Instead I accepted her feelings and we started dating. We dated through high-school and stayed together after graduation. Upon getting accepted into the same university, we moved in together. Before my stroke, we had been living in an apartment together for two years while going to university.

After finishing her explanation, I don't get much of a chance for questions. Dr. Anderson walks in and begins to speak.

"Now that everyone is present and accounted for, I believe we should discuss where to go from here."

"Yes, thank you, doctor. Hisao's mother and I are grateful to you for taking care of our son." My dad shakes his hand while thanking him.

"It was my pleasure. Taking care of him is my job. Being able to see my patients go home is my reward for watching over him." He has that familiar smile on his face again as he says this.

"But enough about me for now, Hisao is the one leaving here today, have you decided where he is going to be staying?"

"Yes. Considering that he has lost his memory of his life prior to the stroke, we thought it best that he live with his mother and I for the time being, until his memory returns, at which time he can decide for himself what it is he wishes to do." Iwanako's face tells me that, although she agrees, she is disappointed, and was hoping I would be able to come stay with her.

"I see. I agree with you on him staying with you for the time being. However, I believe that it would be best that after a few months of staying with his parents, Hisao should move back in with Miss Iwanako."

"Excuse me doctor, but why?" My mother and father both make it known that they oppose the idea, making me question the relationship I have with Iwanako

"She is his girlfriend is she not?" They both stare at Iwanako, then back at Dr. Anderson.

"Yes she is, but his father and I believe that it would be in his best interest if he were to stay with us."
Dr. Anderson raises an eyebrow at them, but continues.

"Though I am sure you have your reasons for wanting him to stay with you, however my professional opinion is that Hisao's memories will return to him more naturally if he where to stay with her, allowing him to return to normal life much sooner." Both my mother and father decide to give in. Although it is apparent for some reason they do not want me to stay with her, they also understand that what's best for me should come before their personal distaste for Iwanako.

While my parents are discussing the details of my next appointment in a few months, I turn my attention to Iwanako. She is sitting in a chair next to my bed, listening close to what Dr. Anderson is saying and doesn't notice my staring. Although she still for the most part looks like the same Iwanako I remember, she has become more mature then last time I saw her. Back in high-school she had hair down to her shoulders, now it is about the same length as Rin's hair was, only slightly longer, and well groomed. Her bangs come down over her forehead just enough not to cover her eyes. Her physique has also changed. She's about the same height and weight as the class president Shizune was. She's beautiful, and yet I still can't remember anything about her.

After they finish, my parents, Iwanako, and myself go down to the lobby to leave. As we are leaving I tell my parents and Iwanako to go on ahead, because I want to thank Dr. Anderson again.

"Dr. Anderson, I wanted to thank you again for all that you have done for me."

"Hisao, I thought I told you to call me Troy. I may be a doctor, but I am also your friend." That's right, I forgot. He told me I could call him by his first name, Troy.

"Right, I'll remember next time." I say this while extending my hand.

"You'd better, I'd hate to put you in another coma for calling me doctor all the time." After shaking his hand he gives me a card with a phone number on it.

"What's this for?" I ask as I look it over.

"That's my personal number, call it whenever you need anything."

While saying that, he smiles again as usual, however this time he only has one eye open and he's almost grinning. Suddenly, I realize just why his smile was so familiar.

"Nurse..." I say aloud while walking out of the hospital, and for the second time, back into my life.
Last edited by WolfStreak on Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rikabro

Re: What Lies Beneath: Updated 4/27/012 Now with Index

Post by Rikabro »

Well this sure isn't your average stroke story. lololol

Saw the Nurse thing a mile away but I still had my doubts. I think you used just the right amount of hinting without giving it away entirely.

Looking forward to meeting the other guests of the hospital. I think that's where it's going to get interesting. Not that it isn't interesting already.
Writer for Familiarity. I also have an anime blog.
Elcor

Re: What Lies Beneath: Updated 4/27/12 Now with Index

Post by Elcor »

This has some moments that made you go hmm...and ahh. All of it great.
Looking forward to reading the next chapter.
Fan Fiction writer's are drug dealers and they don't even know it.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Why does everyone always assume that someone who just woke from a year-long coma can just up and take a stroll to the cafeteria without even a wheelchair?
Also, it's "oppose" not "appose". Looking forward to the next chapter.
Last edited by Mirage_GSM on Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
FishyBroski

Post by FishyBroski »

I think that the rest of the cast of KS are at the hospital aswell and are all waking up to find out that they do not have a disability of some sort :P
Elcor

Post by Elcor »

Mirage_GSM wrote:Why does everyone always assume that someone who just woke from a year-long coma can just up and take a stroll to the cafeteria without even a wheelchair?
That does bring up a good point since muscle atrophy would be a factor, granted they do have treatments that are in place to lessen the effects.
Maybe we are suppose to be in a suspension of disbelief.
DaGarver

Post by DaGarver »

Elcor wrote:
Mirage_GSM wrote:Why does everyone always assume that someone who just woke from a year-long coma can just up and take a stroll to the cafeteria without even a wheelchair?
That does bring up a good point since muscle atrophy would be a factor, granted they do have treatments that are in place to lessen the effects.
I don't think there's any medicine that can strengthen muscles that haven't been in use for almost two years that quickly. The fact that Hisao isn't in a wheelchair (and is going home so soon, instead of sticking around for physical therapy) is nothing short of a miracle.

I'll subscribe to the suspension of disbelief for now. :wink:
WolfStreak

Post by WolfStreak »

Chapter 3 - Relapse

I'm at the dinner table eating breakfast. Shizune's father Jigoro is ranting about how the way children today behave is disgraceful. While he is talking, Shizune and Misha wave at me to go in living room.
On the small table in the middle of the room there is a game-board set up and ready for play. Shizune's favorite game.

[Are you ready to play?] She signs to me.

[Of course. After all, somebody has to stop your evil dictatorship of Australia.] I sign back to her. As I do She lifts her glasses and responds.

[Well I hope you brought a better game plan then last time, or the result will be the same as always.]

[And what would that be?]

[Humiliating defeat.] She says this while snapping her fingers in her signature style.

The sudden loud *snap* awakens me to the sound of my alarm. I smash it with me fist before sitting up and rubbing the sleep out of my eyes. I get dressed and go downstairs to get ready for my morning routine.

Waiting for me at the table is a plate of food for me to eat. Iwanako has already started eating when I sit down to join her.

"Good morning Hisao." She says to me as I sit down.

"Good morning." I reply back.

"Are you going to go for a walk again today?" She asks me.

"Yeah I think so. I need to get back in shape after spending so long in the hospital."

"Do you mind if I go with you today?"

"Of course, it's more enjoyable having you with me." She blushes and casts her eyes down as I say this to her.

After leaving the hospital where I was unconscious for nearly two years I went to live with my mother and father. It took a few months of physical therapy to recover the muscle I lost while unconscious. Troy recommended that he give me one more exam to make sure everything was alright before moving back in with Iwanako. After confirming that I was alright to be on my own again I moved back in with her.

During his exams, I told him a little about my experience while I was comatose. I told him it how I met someone just like him in Yamaku while I was asleep. He decided to tell me that I recognize him because he and I had been friends before my coma. He and I met at university. We had stayed in contact when he went back to America, and when he came back we continued to stay in contact. I told him I don't remember any of it. He said that at some point I would remember, and that I should just take it easy in the meantime. He told me that if I needed anything to I could count on him.

After living with Iwanako for a few weeks I started getting depressed. I missed Yamaku, and Emi.
I still hadn't told anyone but Troy about the experience I had. I went to him trying to find out more about this experience that was now always on my mind.

"Well Hisao, I don't really know what you can do about it except to forget about it and move on." Troy said to me while sitting at his desk.

"I know that, but what I am saying is could you at least look and see if there exists a school by the name of "Yamaku Academy."

"I suppose I can. Although I don't see how that will help." He says typing away at the computer keyboard.

"Please just look. Also could look up the name "Emi Ibarazaki." He raises his eyebrow and turns his head towards me.

"If I recall correctly... That is the name that you first spoke when you woke up. Was it not?"

"Yes it was.." I say while looking away from him.

"Hisao I don't know what your relationship with Iwanako is like, because you never talked about her much. But I believe that two timing her is wrong."

"It's not like that. I just need to know."

"Have you told her about Yamaku yet?" He asks.

"No I have not. I don't think I should tell her. At least, not right now."

"If you say so, but you should consider doing so. She is a very understanding girl from what I see, and I am sure she will listen."

"Alright Troy I will, and thanks for the help. I owe you one."

"No, you owe me two." He and I both laugh.

Troy did get back to me with the information I was looking for. It didn't take him very long. He could find no evidence of Emi, or even Yamaku academy. This news caused my depression to worsen. I stopped eating, and most days I would not even leave my room. After about a week of this Iwanako came to me and told me that if I had anything I wanted to talk about, she was here for me.

After she said that I started crying. After I was finished, I told her everything. I explained to her how she gave me a heart attack, and how it led to my hospital stay. I told her about Yamaku Academy, and the people I met there. I told her about my days with Emi, and how I fell in love with her. About our life together after we graduated high-school. To my surprise she took the story rather well, and even asked me what I was supposed to be studying. After telling her, she told me that I studied the same subjects in high-school.

After that night I started feeling much better about my current situation. I knew I could never forget about Emi, and how much we loved each-other. Iwanako was very understanding, so I decided to give my "new" life a chance. We started going out for walks in the morning like I had done with Emi. We started going on dates to see movies, or go out to eat at restaurants.

After a few months passed, we started sleeping together again. Our relationship is still slightly awkward, but she seemed happy, and I am too. I don't know if I will ever be able to completely forget about Emi. I do know that I am not alone anymore.

"Ready to go on that walk now Hisao?"

"I think so, lets get going before you're late again." I take her hand in mine as we start to walk down the sidewalk outside our apartment.

When we get back from our morning walk, Iwanako scrambles to get ready for work. She kisses me as she leaves, and says she will be home early today to make dinner for us. Iwanako works at a restaurant, so she takes what she learns home with her. At first she was only a waitress, but when she was asked to take over for someone who was absent she did well enough to get a position cooking.

During the day, I am always alone at home. Troy told me that I had a job before my coma. It was at a medical research facility, and that they mainly focused on heart medication. They told me I am welcome to come back after I have fully recovered.

So for the past few weeks I have started reading books. When I first came to live here Iwanako gave me a tour. Everything was very familiar, but at the same time new. The first thing that caught my attention when I walked in was the living room. It was average size, and it had a nice couch that doubled as a bed.
One thing that really impressed me about the room was the giant bookshelf taking up the entire back wall of the room. It had a wide arrangement of books. They were alphabetized by, author, book title, and finally genre. The majority of books I had been reading were by the author "Yann Martel". Today I was finishing the last few chapters of a book titled "Self".

After reading for a few chapters I decide to take a nap, and go up stairs to do so.

"Hisao go get me the red." Rin says to me as she continues to paint the canvas.

"This one?" I say holding up a can of red paint.

"No, that is not the red I meant the other "red". I can never understand what she means by that. I look for another can of what looks like red paint and bring it to her.

"Is this the right red?"

"Yes." She tells me to put it down in-front of her. She goes back to painting after I am finished.

After a few more hours of watching her paint she stops.

"Finished?" I ask her.

"Maybe, I don't know. I will add more later when I feel it needs it."

After helping her clean up, and getting everything put away we go to leave the art room. As I am leaving I hear a familiar clicking noise and turn to the source, but it is to late. Emi comes full force crashing into me. The sudden impact causes me to wake up from my dream.

"Ahhh!" I yell as I shoot up out of bed.

"Sorry!" Iwanako says as I rub my eyes.

"Iwanako? What are you doing home so early?" I ask her.

"I got off from work early. Don't you remember me telling you that?" She makes a worried face at me.

"Yes I remember. I didn't intend on sleeping this long though."

"Oh, okay then. Dinner is ready." She sounds relieved but still looks nervous for some reason. She must have thought my memory was getting worse.

"Alright, I'll be down in a few minutes." She nods and leaves the room.

As of late, she has acted differently towards me. She started to giving me odd looks when I was talking to her. We have not been intimate recently, so maybe she thinks I'm not interested in her anymore. After splashing water on my face, and going down stairs to eat, I decide I'll try to romance her tonight after dinner.

For dinner she made an Italian dish "Fettuccine Alfredo". It tastes really good, and she even has a bottle of wine ready for us during dinner. This sets the mood perfectly. During dinner she and I talk for the first time in a few weeks, and the mood seems to be just right. When she takes the plates to the sink I decide to make my move.

"You can do those later Iwanako." I whisper in her ear while I put my hands on her waist.

"EEEP" she screeches and drops the plate she was holding to the floor with a load crash.

"I'm sorry!" She yells out.

"No no, I'm sorry I didn't mean to surprise I was just..."

"Just what?"

"Nothing. For now let's just get this mess cleaned up." I say to her with a smile. As we are cleaning up the broken plate she cuts her finger on a sharp piece of glass.

"Ouch!" She cries out as she pulls her hand to her chest quickly.

"let me see." I say while holding out my hand.

"Okay...here." She says while timidly extending her hand.

"See its not that bad. I'll go get a bandage alright?" She nods at me as I go into the bathroom to search for the box of bandages, and antiseptic.

While searching for the box of bandages and antiseptic, I find an empty pill bottle with Iwanako's name on it.
The label reads "Risperdal® Take twice daily." The bottle has a refill date. The last time is was refilled was 6 months ago. From remembering the medicine I "took" I know that this bottle is not large enough for her to have been taking it all this time. She must have been acting strange lately as a side effect of going off it. The medication name sounds familiar, but I can't quite place it. I decide to ask her about it. I find the box of bandages and antiseptic. After doing so I go back downstairs to the kitchen.

There I find Iwanako sitting at the table, staring at it.

"Are you alright Iwanako?" I ask with concern in my voice. She nods.

"I have to ask you something." She doesn't pay attention she just keeps staring at the broken pile of plate in-front of her.

"What are these for?" I place the bottle on the table and she picks it up to look.

"I...I don't know." Bullshit, she knows.

"What do you mean you don't know? It has your name on it Iwanako!"

As I say this her eyes shoot wide open and she stands up and yells at me.

"I mean I don't know what these are for." She says this and throws the bottle down.

"How can you not know what your own medicine is for?" I ask now with confusion in my voice.

"I just don't." She is starting to cry now and I feel bad.

"Iwanako, I'm sorry" I say this while I try to hug her, but she pushes me away.

"W-Who's Iwa-Iwanako....."

"I'm Hanako."
Last edited by WolfStreak on Wed May 02, 2012 1:48 am, edited 8 times in total.
nemz

Re: What Lies Beneath: Updated 4/27/12 Chapter 3 now up

Post by nemz »

curiouser and curiouser. the fact that the two realities are bleeding together even when he's awake is either a great or a terrible sign. perhaps both.
Rin > Shizune > Emi > Hanako > Lilly
Elcor

Post by Elcor »

I'm..hmm..I got a crazy idea on how this story might turn out, just hope that I'm wrong..
Looking forward to reading the next chapter.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Elcor wrote:
The doctors would regualalry pick him up and walk him around while nobody was looking. It was like Weekend at Bernies, but with more exercise. ...

Or we could just go with the suspension of disbelief thing. That works too.
Not Dead Yet
Elcor

Post by Elcor »

Oddball wrote:
Elcor wrote:
The doctors would regualalry pick him up and walk him around while nobody was looking. It was like Weekend at Bernies, but with more exercise. ...

Or we could just go with the suspension of disbelief thing. That works too.
Oddball..thank you for that image, I needed that laugh. Speaking of which anyone working on "Weekend with Hisao" (Formally known as "My Comatose Buddy & Me") fan fiction?
Gilrond

Post by Gilrond »

WolfStreak wrote:When she takes the plates to the sync I decide to make my move.
"You can do those later Iwanako." I
whisper in her ear while I put my
hands on her waste.
I'm assuming you mean "sink" and "waist". Interesting development though, look forward to seeing how this works out
Scissorlips

Post by Scissorlips »

This is just getting better and better with every passing chapter. I really like what you've done with the "dreams/memories" scenes at the beginnings, and the way you describe Iwanako physically. I just want to say that you've come a very long way with your writing abilities in a short time, it's really great to see. Please keep it up.

[Pastebin] [Familiarity]
Your troubles shall cease, and you will know peace.