Hugs for Everyone! ... except you Shizune.

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Oddball

Hugs for Everyone! ... except you Shizune.

Post by Oddball »

Since the student council has an armload of reports due (even more so than usual) I've made the decision to ask Hisao for help with today's activities. Even if he is slow and sloppy, every one paper he finishes is one less than Misha and I have to do. In fact, he's already agreed to it, he just doesn't know it yet. He told me three days ago that he owed me for helping him with his math assignment. This will be what he owes me.

As the bell rings to let out class, I grab Misha and head over to his desk. Regrettably, Hanako seems to have gotten there before me. The nerve of that girl. I make it a point to be quicker next time. Maybe I should practice my power walking.

Misha signs what they're saying to me.

"do-do you have anything p-planned for after school?" Hanako says according to Misha.

[Stop translating the stuttering] I sign back to Misha. [Why would you even think I need to know that?]

Misha just laughs ands signs something about wanting to give as exact a translation as possible. According to Misha, Hisao replies in a combination of "ummm"s and "well"s. Mr. Conversation he is not. He does give me the perfect opening though. I give Misha one of our personal shorthand signs and she bursts right in between them.

"Hichan is going to help Student Council today!" she booms. I'm assuming she booms anyway. Judging from people's typical reaction, I assume that she talks loudly, but it's not like I'd know. Judging from Hisao's and Hanako's reaction, she does … or maybe they were just startled.

No. I think I'll stick with my theory being correct. I like that answer better.

I explain to Misha, who translates for me that Hisao owes the Student Council some work time. We also preemptively cut off any possible excuses he might have made before he makes them. Yes, I have been planning this for half the class. It's always good to have a plan.

Even with my impeccable logic and arguments, Hisao still tries to give some lame excuses for why he can't help, but we've already got solutions for any problems he has. Oh yeah. We win again, and by "we" I mostly mean "me."

"It--it's okay if, you, you d-don't want to spend time with me.." Hanako says, according to my translation. She looks like a sad puppy dog locked outside in the rain with a cast on one of it's broken legs. Hisao pauses and looks at her. I can't fight that. I refuse to do the sad puppy dog eyes look. I have my dignity. Also, I'm really bad at it, but mostly I just refuse to do it.

According to Misha, what Hisao says next is, "Oh, I just want to hug you forever!" I think she's taking liberties with translations again. Regardless of the exact words, he's hugging her now and she's smiling. I've lost this one. I notice Misha standing in front of me looking rather silly. More silly than she usually looks anyway. It takes me a minute to figure out what she's doing. Apparently Misha wants a hug too. [You've got to be kidding me.] I sign to her and giver an exasperated look. She looks sad and then turns to Hisao and Hanako again.

"Can I hug Hanako too?" she asks, thankfully remembering to translate for me. She turns so I can't quite make out the rest of the conversation. Something abut going and getting ice-cream and cake. All this time Hanako and Hisao were still hugging each other.

There are rules against this sort of thing on school grounds. I would point them out if it wasn't for the fact that I'm sure they would completely ignore me.

… and now Misha is hugging Hisao and Hanako.

Fine. That's it. I storm off to the Student Council room and begin work on the reports. In the student council room. By myself. Just me. I can finish these reports without any help.

… I am so lonely right now.

I try to imagine what they're doing right now without me. I can picture them sitting together, laughing and smiling and sharing some overly fancy and far too sweet ice cream dessert. Now they're playing games and having fun. Now they're riding a Ferris wheel together… there isn't even a Ferris Wheel around here. Where did that come from?

"Excuse me, please. May I be included in this fantasy?" Lilly ask. Wait. How did that lazy-body get into my daydreaming? God, I hate my imagination. Now all four of them are arm-in-arm skipping through a field of flowers as "So happy together" plays in the background. How I got a song stuck in my head, I have no idea. How is that even possible?

I can see myself walking up to them. There's a smile on my face and I hold out my arms wide for hugs. Instead of the embrace of arms, I only get fingers. Yeah, fuck you too, imagination.

Am I really this pathetic?

No! I am not this pathetic and I can get all the hugs I want! I quickly grab a piece of poster board and make a sign out of it. Only a few minutes later, I'm standing by the dorms next to a freshly made sign that asks "Have you hugged your student Council President Today?"

Half and hour later, I'm sitting on the ground next to a sign that has been altered to say "PLEASE hug your student council president today." I wait a bit longer. Still nothing. Is this what's become of me? I could have sworn at some point I had dignity. What happened?

There's one last resort. Enter the girls dorms and knock on the door of one particular room that I don't like knocking on the door of. When she finally opens the door, I throw my arms around Lilly, much to her surprise. She's actually really soft and nice to hug. It's good to see she has some use. No. Stop that. I can't be mad at her right now. I'll think sarcastic demeaning things about her later. Right now she's good for a hug.

Soon, I break off the hug and head back down to the Student Council rooms, leaving a very confused blind girl standing in the hall. I will never admit this to anyone.

It's not too long before I reach the Student Council room again to find a surprise. Standing outside the room are Hanako, Hisao, and Misha. They smile and wave at me as I walk up. While they all seem to be talking, the general message that gets translated for me is that they've brought me a piece of cake. Hisao stays around for a little bit to help out, but not to long. Surprisingly enough, he somehow manages to talk Hanako into assisting as well. I take note that she has some very nice hand writing, not formal looking at all, but pretty. I could make use of this later.

All in all, I'm going to count this as a win.
Last edited by Oddball on Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not Dead Yet
TheMaskedWriter

Re: Hugs for Everyone! ... except you Shizune.

Post by TheMaskedWriter »

This was very sweet. It's kind of funny to see a fic written from Shizune's POV.
The hug with Lilly was particularly sad. I can imagine this sort of thing actually happening and Shizune being to proud to admit it.
I bet Lilly was confused.

Touching ending as well.
It's nice to have friends.
WorldlyWiseman

Post by WorldlyWiseman »

Good lord this is adorable.

How is the song stuck in her head.

How?!
Hanako's favorite joke is The Aristocrats, but she never tells it because Lilly finds it really offensive. Instead, she practices her delivery in front of a mirror when she's alone. It's the only time she never stammers.
Mealforthree

Post by Mealforthree »

[fun_police]But that is simply theoretically not possible! She's been deaf since birth and she doesn't even know what sound feels like, she has no grasp of the concept and she thinks in JSL!]/[fun_police]

Adorable story!
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Mealforthree wrote:[fun_police]But that is simply theoretically not possible! She's been deaf since birth and she doesn't even know what sound feels like, she has no grasp of the concept and she thinks in JSL!]/[fun_police]

Adorable story!
Maybe she was just imagining she knew what it sounded like. Did you ever think of that? :P

All honesty, it was just a joke. I thought it would be funny.
Not Dead Yet
WorldlyWiseman

Post by WorldlyWiseman »

Oddball wrote:
Mealforthree wrote:[fun_police]But that is simply theoretically not possible! She's been deaf since birth and she doesn't even know what sound feels like, she has no grasp of the concept and she thinks in JSL!]/[fun_police]

Adorable story!
Maybe she was just imagining she knew what it sounded like. Did you ever think of that? :P

All honesty, it was just a joke. I thought it would be funny.
It is.

I would be willing to play the song on a boombox to see if she could figure out the vibrations of the 'sound', but all of my music devices use tiny headphones...
Hanako's favorite joke is The Aristocrats, but she never tells it because Lilly finds it really offensive. Instead, she practices her delivery in front of a mirror when she's alone. It's the only time she never stammers.
nemz

Post by nemz »

Oh, I suspect music could be explained fairly well in terms of color and motion. Different colors for different instruments, less or more saturated for volume, just little flickers of light dancing along the sheet music at an appropriate pace. The true soul of music is in understanding patterns, when they hold and when they break, and that's certainly something the deaf can grasp in other ways. Still, what's most important is that she understands what the song means, and that can easily be understood from reading the lyrics and from other context cues.

But yes, it was sadly funny.
Rin > Shizune > Emi > Hanako > Lilly
bradpara

Post by bradpara »

Nice story especially since Shicchan does get hugs after all. Very sweet
Shizune=Hanako>Lilly>Emi=Rin
Family Game Night A Shizune After Story Fic
Ascended Flutist

Post by Ascended Flutist »

My liver exploded out of my body because I laughed too much, and I can't bend to pick it up because the d'awwwws of this story pumped my blood full of sugar and now it hurts when I move. On the bright side, sugar-blood clots much faster.

(°jj°')
And to live in Peace A post Hanako Good End fanfiction. That about sums it up.

Fanfics Thou shalt not regret reading : Bloodline, Doomish's Misha Pseudo-route, Rika's Story, A Pseudo-pseudo Suzu Route.
There are many other apocryphas worth reading in the fanfiction section. Do yourself a favor, dig them up and read them. Reading is good.

Nice hat.
Scissorlips

Post by Scissorlips »

That was a cute story. Someone told me the other day that people need about twelve hugs a day to get by properly, I'm certain that Shizune's hug levels are far below that. I especially like the idea of Shizune using Lilly for hugs even though she'd never admit it because Lilly wouldn't know who she was.
That was a fun read, and we always need more Shizune. Thanks.

[Pastebin] [Familiarity]
Your troubles shall cease, and you will know peace.

Daitengu

Post by Daitengu »

That was pretty entertaining.

As for Lily talking, I just pretend Shizune was lip reading.
Otakumon

Post by Otakumon »

Scissorlips wrote:That was a cute story. Someone told me the other day that people need about twelve hugs a day to get by properly, I'm certain that Shizune's hug levels are far below that. I especially like the idea of Shizune using Lilly for hugs even though she'd never admit it because Lilly wouldn't know who she was.
That was a fun read, and we always need more Shizune. Thanks.
That would depend on how often Shizune wears the same perfume.
Scissorlips

Post by Scissorlips »

Otakumon wrote:That would depend on how often Shizune wears the same perfume.
Why does she need perfume if she's deaf?

[Pastebin] [Familiarity]
Your troubles shall cease, and you will know peace.

bradpara

Post by bradpara »

Scissorlips wrote:
Otakumon wrote:That would depend on how often Shizune wears the same perfume.
Why does she need perfume if she's deaf?
No you didn't....

Now, here it where I show my age

*Tramp**Tramp*Tramp*Tramp*Tramp*Tramp*

*Knock Knock*

WHAM WHAM WHAM WHAM WHAM

The role of the Narn Bat Squad was played the Yamaku Academy Baseball team.
Shizune=Hanako>Lilly>Emi=Rin
Family Game Night A Shizune After Story Fic
themocaw

Post by themocaw »

bradpara wrote:*Tramp**Tramp*Tramp*Tramp*Tramp*Tramp*

*Knock Knock*

WHAM WHAM WHAM WHAM WHAM

The role of the Narn Bat Squad was played the Yamaku Academy Baseball team.
Dear god. I haven't seen those guys since my days as a young pup lurking alt.barney.dinosaur.die.die.die. . .