Real (A Suzu/OC Story) Chapter 16 Now Up

WORDS WORDS WORDS

DanjaDoom

Re: Real (A Suzu/OC story) Chapter 3 now up

Post by DanjaDoom »

Mealforthree wrote:

Careful reading of the text provides numerous inconsistencies and plot holes; say, for example, Mr Aaron is elaborating on the way which he claims things "usually" happen in Yamaku even though he hasn't spent a week there. The literature club was downright bullshit, sorry.

Yamaku seems to have quite a concentration of foreigners, taking into account the fact that there's only about a percent of non-Japanese people in Japan.

And then - the gaming sequence, the worst thing imaginable. That stuff is unnecessary and cringeworthy, it does not bring the realism everyone so overzealously craves. Perhaps this is a problem stemming from the previously criticised narrative style, I don't know.

If you are still not boiling with hate, I'd suggest polishing your style. I don't know how, I'd say read up some literary techniques (ice-berg principle, for example) because now, however heart-warming this story might be, it suffers from poor execution.

All the best to you, and by all means - if you want to write and improve your writing - write more.

^That's not a fucking request or pushing of the author, mods.
Just to reiterate, Aaron's shares American and Japanese heritage; he lived in Japan for about seven years, went to America, and just now moved back at 18. So he does know about Japanese culture and can speak the language, he's just rusty at it. And the English part was supposed to be a joke, if you couldn't tell, lol...though I guess he was kinda over done, but, eh. And I agree the gaming sequence was kinda tossed in, so I shortened it a bit.

But I am working on the fourth chapter now, I'll try to cut down on the "Catcher in the Rye" shit and just make it shorter in general.
My fine literary endeavors: Real, M&M, Rat Race, and Hideaki: A Tale of Manliness. Feel free to stroke my ego and read them.

We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey-Sanic
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

I do not thi k they would give foreign students harder english tests... What would be the purpose?
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
DanjaDoom

Post by DanjaDoom »

Mirage_GSM wrote:I do not thi k they would give foreign students harder english tests... What would be the purpose?
For me to make a joke...heh :?
My fine literary endeavors: Real, M&M, Rat Race, and Hideaki: A Tale of Manliness. Feel free to stroke my ego and read them.

Daitengu

Post by Daitengu »

DanjaDoom wrote:
Mirage_GSM wrote:I do not thi k they would give foreign students harder english tests... What would be the purpose?

might work better with a punchline from the teacher lol
DanjaDoom

Post by DanjaDoom »

Daitengu wrote:
DanjaDoom wrote:

might work better with a punchline from the teacher lol
true,lol. Gaah,this was a weak chapter overall. Ah well, every writer has his bad day =/

Daitengu

Post by Daitengu »

DanjaDoom wrote:true,lol. Gaah,this was a weak chapter overall. Ah well, every writer has his bad day =/
Just remember that the more the reality is stretched for comedy the more outlandish the characters have to be to make it fit.

Take K-On for example. No student in their right mind calls their teacher "sawa-chan", but Yui is a rather odd ball character so it becomes funny.
DanjaDoom

Post by DanjaDoom »

Daitengu wrote:
DanjaDoom wrote:true,lol. Gaah,this was a weak chapter overall. Ah well, every writer has his bad day =/
Just remember that the more the reality is stretched for comedy the more outlandish the characters have to be to make it fit.

Take K-On for example. No student in their right mind calls their teacher "sawa-chan", but Yui is a rather odd ball character so it becomes funny.
Yeah, true that. Really, I only did the Literature club scene that way because I've seen maybe 10 minutes of one episode of Code Geass, and I never played Valkyrie Profile, so I know jack shit about Lezard and Lelouch's characters outside of wiki articles, lol; I figured I'd make it just flat out weird to cover my ass.

Daitengu

Post by Daitengu »

DanjaDoom wrote:
Daitengu wrote:

Yeah, true that. Really, I only did the Literature club scene that way because I've seen maybe 10 minutes of one episode of Code Geass, and I never played Valkyrie Profile, so I know jack shit about Lezard and Lelouch's characters outside of wiki articles, lol; I figured I'd make it just flat out weird to cover my ass.

Lezard was obsessed with the protagonist in Valkyrie profile. Everything he did was based on his obsession/love of Lenneth. He pretty much planned to kill Gods in order to keep Lenneth, regardless of her own will. He was one of those "the world can burn for all I care so long as I have what I want" types. (I have the PS and PS2 games heh)

Lelouch was a Light Yagami like tactician, underhanded, from the shadows type. Everything he did was because of his sense of justice, and his love for his sister. Lelouch was an actor. He'd play the parts he needed to just so he could do what he wanted.

Neither one did anything for fun or even to win. If losing got them closer to their goal, they'd both do it.

In context to KS, I'd think Lezard would creeper stalk his love interest. While Lelouch would fawn over his sister(who's blind and in a wheelchair btw) since he doesn't have to fight Britannia, or his father.
DanjaDoom

Post by DanjaDoom »

Daitengu wrote:
DanjaDoom wrote:
Daitengu wrote:

Lezard was obsessed with the protagonist in Valkyrie profile. Everything he did was based on his obsession/love of Lenneth. He pretty much planned to kill Gods in order to keep Lenneth, regardless of her own will. He was one of those "the world can burn for all I care so long as I have what I want" types. (I have the PS and PS2 games heh)

Lelouch was a Light Yagami like tactician, underhanded, from the shadows type. Everything he did was because of his sense of justice, and his love for his sister. Lelouch was an actor. He'd play the parts he needed to just so he could do what he wanted.

Neither one did anything for fun or even to win. If losing got them closer to their goal, they'd both do it.

In context to KS, I'd think Lezard would creeper stalk his love interest. While Lelouch would fawn over his sister(who's blind and in a wheelchair btw) since he doesn't have to fight Britannia, or his father.
Nice, nice. I did get the basic attributes down (Lezard is a narcissist ,Lelouch is a schemer, etc.) and just flanderized the hell out of them, heh

Daitengu

Post by Daitengu »

DanjaDoom wrote:
Nice, nice. I did get the basic attributes down (Lezard is a narcissist ,Lelouch is a schemer, etc.) and just flanderized the hell out of them, heh
Lezard would actually be the opposite of a narcissist since in Valkyrie Profile he really doesn't go on about himself. He only obsesses on Lenneth.
DanjaDoom

Post by DanjaDoom »

Daitengu wrote:
DanjaDoom wrote:
Lezard would actually be the opposite of a narcissist since in Valkyrie Profile he really doesn't go on about himself. He only obsesses on Lenneth.
Really? Huh, that's weird, the wiki pretty much described him as being a big narcissist. Bah.

Daitengu

Post by Daitengu »

DanjaDoom wrote:Really? Huh, that's weird, the wiki pretty much described him as being a big narcissist. Bah.
Yeah, he is presented as a narcissist in the game, but that's just how it appears since you are playing as Lenneth. If you look at it out of Lenneth's view, he appears as just obsessed over Lenneth herself. It's one of those instances where perception of a thing changes depending on the observer. Also he tends to get cocky once he thinks he's won. It's pretty cliche.

He's still a calculating and clever basterd to be able to trap Lenneth, and take Gungnir from Odin.
DanjaDoom

Post by DanjaDoom »

Daitengu wrote:
DanjaDoom wrote:Really? Huh, that's weird, the wiki pretty much described him as being a big narcissist. Bah.
Yeah, he is presented as a narcissist in the game, but that's just how it appears since you are playing as Lenneth. If you look at it out of Lenneth's view, he appears as just obsessed over Lenneth herself. It's one of those instances where perception of a thing changes depending on the observer. Also he tends to get cocky once he thinks he's won. It's pretty cliche.

He's still a calculating and clever basterd to be able to trap Lenneth, and take Gungnir from Odin.
Cool, cool :) So any other tips about the chapter? Like I said, this is my first big story in a while, I'm definitely not perfect, lol

Daitengu

Post by Daitengu »

DanjaDoom wrote:Cool, cool :) So any other tips about the chapter? Like I said, this is my first big story in a while, I'm definitely not perfect, lol
Having Lizard get caught stalking Rika every now and then would be more in character for him than say ranting at D&D. But if you're going to keep him in D&D get Lelouch to be a little more active. He is a justice type character and would start to try and 'fix' Lizard. Lezard and Lelouch would definitely be each other's arch-nemesis. And that can be played up to funny effect.
The O.H.L.

Post by The O.H.L. »

Please please PLEASE capitalize the word I. For fucks sake, I'm not trying to offend you but god damn, I just hate seeing uncapitilized I's.
Guess who's back, back, back, back again.
Not that I ever made any great contributions, but oh well, too bad.