Strictly a Pulmonary matter (Feedback appreciated)

WORDS WORDS WORDS

GibGabGoo

Strictly a Pulmonary matter (Feedback appreciated)

Post by GibGabGoo »

This is, admittedly, my first attempt at a (hopefully) long-length story in quite a number of years. So I apologise for any writing rust that might rear its ugly head. Feedback/Criticism is greatly appreciated!
-------------------------
Chapter 0: Prologue- January 18th 2006

"Hey...Wilhelm, how're you feeling?"

I knew that voice, how could I not? Though, in my current state, I really wasn't in any mood for any of my dear Grandfather's antics. Taking as slowly as I could, to conserve the precious little air my body seemed able to take in currently, I whispered back "Grandfather...how many times, have I told you...it's William." What came as a surprise at this point was the breathlessness my body seemed infected with after uttering this phrase. A phrase which, after taking care of me for the last 18 and some years, my Grandfather seemed to have hardened himself towards.

Letting a light chuckle loose, he replied "One day you'll appreciate your roots, my boy. But, we've had that conversation...multiples of times over your lifetime, haven't we? I think I'll let it rest for the time being, eh?"

As if on instinct, I felt a smile adorn my, by now I imagined, gaunt, pale face. How IS someone supposed to look after serious surgery, anyway? I always imagined a sickly, emaciated fellow, chained to his hospital bed until he recovers. Not knowing what my face looked like, I didn't know whether any of this applied to me however, my body felt far too exhausted to even lift my arms. My lips, however, still had some energy left in them "Yes...I think we should, my dear Grandfather. I feel terrific, by the way. Absolutely athletic".

My familiar tone of sarcasm was received by another chuckle from my Grandfather "Well, at least I know you haven't changed...same old sarcastic William I see. I was beginning to get used to the peace and quiet...maybe if I had a word with the Doctor-"

"Hey, you remember our deal in your senile old age, don't you? I'll be the one to sing at your funeral...that was the only way I could shut you up about your bloody song, wasn't it?" My sudden interruption, I could tell, by the silence around me, took my Grandfather by surprise. At least, slightly. Maybe he wasn't expecting me to be even a little active? I may still have some of the anesthesia in my system after all.

"Yes, your 'senile' and 'old' Grandfather DOES remember your proposition. That song is very special to me. If you even so much as miss a single line, I promise you, I'll come back from the grave and kill you myself."

"Oh really?" I replied rather forcefully. Perhaps too forcefully, as I began coughing quite loudly, drawing the attention of a gentleman who I assumed was a Doctor.

"Sir? Mr...Dresner, is it?" I began to part my lips for a reply, but my Grandfather cut me off.

"Yes, that's me, what do you want?" His tone was a little aggressive, I thought, given the situation. He, however, was my Grandfather, and would remain that way until the end of his days. Something I had slowly accepted over my many years of knowing him.

"I apologise, but I'm going to have to ask you to leave. Your...Grandson is obviously in no fit state for this sort of...banter. He needs rest, sir." Banter? I felt like a barman was telling us to stop arguing over who spilled on who. Awfully caring.

I heard my Grandfather snort at this, clearly thinking me fit to have an all-out debate with him, of course. "How can you claim to know what he's thinking? Psychic, are you?...Speak up, I haven't got all day!"

"I'm a Doctor, sir."

I could almost feel my Grandfather's embarrassment from my half-asleep state. How I wish I had the energy to sit up and relish in this moment. Not once in our years together have I achieved a victory of this magnitude, yet this mere medical professional achieves it within about 15 seconds.

"Well...erm...when you put it that way, I...yes, I suppose you are, aren't you? Carry on injecting him with...morphine, or whatever it is you people use these days. I'm leaving." At hearing this, I feel a mix of sadness and happiness. On the one hand, I could get the rest that my brain was attempting to subdue me into. On the other, however, my Grandfather was always good for lifting my spirits, even if half the time it wasn't what he intended, I believe.

"Take care, you hear me boy? If they have to perform any amputations, grin and bare it like a man, right?"

"Sir, amputations really aren't neces-"

"Oh are you still here? Fine, if it'll appease you, then yes, I'll make my leave. I'll see you soon, Wilhelm"

Hearing his footsteps gradually getting quieter and quieter, my opportunity for a retort was non-present. "William, Grandfather. It's William."

"Erm, I'm going to assume that was something he affectionately calls you? We have you down on our records as William..." Now realising the Doctor is addressing me, I prepare myself for another minute or so without rest.

"Yes ,it's William. You are...?"

"Richards. I'm Doctor Richards. You'll be seeing me now that you're out of the ICU"

"ICU...?"

"Oh, my apologies. Intensive care unit. You spend the first few days of recovery in there. You're in a general patient ward for the time being, and if all goes well, you wont be seeing the ICU again, William."

"I've...been here for that long? I feel like this is my first day here."

"Yes, lots of post-surgery patients, particularly of your kind, tend to bypass the first few days. It's as if your body is on automatic while it adjusts to its altered state. Quite convenient, actually. Being in an ICU is boring, if nothing else. Plus the Ventilator and the Chest Tubes, of course, make it quite difficult to do anything remotely entertaining."

"Knowing my Grandfather, he'll likely bring me some books to read. There's a lot I haven't gotten through yet at home, and he's always encouraging me in that regard. So if nothing else, my literary knowledge is going to improve."

"Of course. Well, by our projections you should only be here for another two weeks, barring any complications. It'll help you get into the routine, which is a VERY good thing to do, William" Wondering what he was talking about, I moved my head slightly to his right, to see several bottles of medication. 'Cyclosporine' and 'Azathioprine' the only two labels I could read.

"Oh...of course. I'll make it my top priority" I replied, putting on my most sincere voice. It seemed to work, as Doctor Richards merely smiled at me and nodded his head in approval. Leaving my bedside to converse with other patients on my ward.

"This is going to be, without a doubt, the most boring two weeks of my life. Time to sleep, Brain" As if by some magical incantation, my brain appeared to heed my order, as I felt the ward around me becoming quieter and darker. As I shut my eyes, and with it, the world out, I felt myself lulled into a peaceful slumber.

------------------

February 4th 2006

Reading the last few pages of Aldous Huxley's 'Brave New World', my mind readily comparing it to George Orwell's '1984' (Which I had read several times, but not on this occasion of hospitalisation), my concentration was lost at the sound of two pairs of approaching footsteps. I raised my head from the novel to see Doctor Richards and my Grandfather. It was painfully obvious that they had been in an argument. My Grandfather was doing his 'Dresden Murderer's stare' as he called it, directly at the unaware Doctor. I felt like he was starting directly into the poor Doctor's soul.

"Hello there William, how're you feeling?"

"Distracted. Otherwise quite well thank you." I do hope my annoyance at him distracting me from my book was obvious. By his pained expression, I see that I've succeeded.

"That's good to hear. Me and your Grandfather have been having a...discussion, concerning you, and we came to the conclusion that you should be heavily involved in this" By his hesitation with the word 'discussion', his awkwardness all-but-proved my Grandfather's arguing had infected even a house of the sick. Impressive.

"We would like to know about what you plan to do about your education, William. What are your plans?"

"Well, I'm planning to contact Notre Dame when I get back home. I know plenty of people who have re-done a year of their education due to more frivolous reasons. Being on the verge of death every now and then, I think they'd allow me to re-take Year 13" At this declaration, both Doctor Richards and my Grandfather both had a sharp sigh, staring solemnly towards me. I braced myself for something bad.

"William...we were discussing your educational future, and...I'm sorry to say it, but in my position as a medical professional, I can not recommend that you return to Notre Dame college for your education. Your new bodily condition would simply, bluntly put, be too fragile, especially in an environment as...hectic as I imagine it is. I'm sorry William."

My Grandfather was silent, as was I. This revelation that I couldn't go ahead with resuming my normal life struck me right in the heart. I had the medication, sure, but other than that, I was going to live as normal, as if nothing happened, right? That's what I had planned to do, and had seemed pretty damn achievable. Until this 'medical professional', this Doctor, this man who I've barely seen as it is for my stay in this ward. How DARE he tell me what I can and can't do.

"What gives you the right to tell me what college I can and can't go to?" I sharply retort, a hint of nastiness in my voice. "Being one of the top performing colleges in the Leeds area, I'm perfectly sure that they WILL have adequate facilities for someone with a condition such as mine. I have every right to choose my future. How DARE you tell me what I can't do, you don't have the right."

Doctor Richards simply looked on at me solemnly, it was a routine he had performed many times I bet, stripping a young man or woman of their right to choose what they do with their lives. I felt anger. But more than anything else, I felt disappointment.

"In fact, why don't yo-"

"William" My Grandfather's voice stopped me in my tracks. I had forgotten he was present, as, which was quite unusual for him, he hadn't made his presence known. In fact, that was the first time I'd heard his voice in two days, as his last visit had been on Wednesday. "Please, stop. Listen to what Doctor Richards has to say."

It seems I had misjudged his anger earlier. Either that, or he had a sudden change of heart during my tirade. Which, I now realise, was ridiculous. This man's a Doctor, of course he can tell me what I can and can't do. I'm his patient, it'd be foolish to ignore his advice or his instructions. Lord, I must've sounded like a spoilt child.

"Thank you, Mr. Dresner." The Doctor says thankfully, glancing at my Grandfather.

"William, I'm going to say this in the most kind way I can, but I'm sorry, you can't return to Notre Dame College. My conscience as your Doctor would not be clear if I were to read in the paper that you had passed away at that College. Your body simply will not be suitable for a hectic place such as that.I know of a few colleges and schools that would be able to accommodate with ease a special-needs student such as yourself."

"Special Needs? How dare you, I'm not a cripple you moron."

"Special Needs...Doctor? I'm not a Special Needs student at all, I'm perfectly fine, I just have to take medication. Otherwise, I'm perfectly fine! Notre dame would be a perfect place for someone like that, don't you think?" I said in a overly-jolly voice that the Doctor clearly did not find amusing. "In fact, if I don't go back to Notre Dame, the only other place I could really feel comfortable going to school would be in somewhere like Japan! I obviously couldn't afford to go to Japan, so I guess I'll have to stay here at Notre Dame where I'm safe, wont I?" "Japan? Why did that come into my mind? Huh..."

At this, the Doctor and my Grandfather looked at each other, with an understanding I've never seen anyone have with my Grandfather. What have I gotten myself into?

"Japan, you say? Well, it's no Germany by any means, but that'll do nicely for you I think, my dear Wilhelm!" "What?"

"Yes, Mr. Dresner! I believe I know of a School in Japan that would suit your Grandson's needs perfectly! It's internationally renowned, so it's a real step-up over that Notre Dame place, too!" "I...what? This must be some sort of Joke, right? Somewhere like that must be ridiculously expensive regardless..."

"I think we can set that up for my dear Grandson here, don't you, Doctor Richards?" "I don't"

"I believe we can, Mr. Dresner. I'm glad you agree! Besides, William, I'm sure you'll love it. Learning a new language and I new culture can really enrich your life!" "I'll enrich YOUR life you Mongoloid" "I'll make headway with contacting them about William, don't you worry, Mr. Dresner. I'll do everything I can to get your grandson the place he deserves in this school. I'll leave you now, I hope this has been a lesson for you, William" As the Doctor walks away, I feel confused. A lesson? That means that was all a joke to get me agitated and teach me about the wrongs of ignoring stuff from Doctors, right?

"William, William, William...you really do need to watch your mouth sometimes. Look what you've gotten yourself into now."

"What? You can't be serious. That was a joke, right?"

"Nope. We were both being completely serious, William. This is what we call tough love, I suppose. My father did it to me, and I turned out great!" "Arguably"

"Tough love? What the hell is that supposed to mean? How is it loving to send, might I remind you, the only relative still in your life, to a foreign country, when he's in bad health?"

"Oh, my dear William, you wont be going this year, don't be ridiculous! You'll be going next year, when you've learnt enough Japanese to not embarrass the family name to those who might know it!" "Family name? We have a reputation? I highly doubt that you senile old git."

"Right...this place has got to be expensive, right? We can't afford it, how can I afford to go?" My Grandfather positively beamed at this question, making me feel slightly disconcerted.

"Me, of course! You'd be surprised at the amount of money I have saved up for an occasion such as this. My Father's orders, too! He sat me on his knee, and told me 'Son, be as tight-fisted with your money as you can. Maybe your son needs help one day, or your wife, or your grandson' or something to that effect, anyway. I don't remember, it was a long time ago. The point of the message stands though, and I've been saving up for an event such as this!" "Well, I guess that explains why, if this money business is true, we live in such humble accommodation."

"Yeah...okay. Fine, I'll go along with this scheme of yours for the time being. I've always wanted to go travelling to Japan anyway..." The last part of that sentence didn't sound at all convincing, though, truth be told, I HAD always wanted to go to Japan. I was a positive technophile, and the amount of technological innovations that come out of Japan make it all the more enticing for me to go. I wouldn't miss Notre Dame that much anyway. Besides not really having much of an attachment to the college in the first place, I was only so adamant about returning so I could keep living as I did before my surgery and before everything seemed to happen at once. I think I'll survive.

"Well, I should go pick you up some Japanese-language books, right? I think I'll see if there's any night-classes you can attend at the local colleges too, I hear Leeds City College has a good language department. After you're done with the gym, of course."

"The Gym? What're you talking about?" I now sounded more anxious than I did when talking with the Doctor. I hated Gyms, positively hated them. I hated the people I saw at Gyms, too. Show-offs with nothing on their mind but taking Steroids and impressing the next stupid girl to come along and jump into bed with them. It disgusts me. I hate gyms.

"Oh, did the Doctor not tell you? You're required to attend a rehabilitation gym for at least three months to regain the fitness levels you had before, to let your lungs adjust too I think...you'll be starting on Monday." "Well, at least I get the weekend at home...I'll be glad to leave this hospital, I've been here a mere three weeks and I've hated it. I can't imagine staying for months."

"Rehabilitation gym? Huh, that doesn't sound bad, I can do that, yeah." My agreeableness pleased my Grandfather, as he ushered me up and told me to get dressed.

"Come on Wilhelm, let's get you discharged and home, you need to start on your Japanese!" "Oh good lord, please don't remind me. This is too ridiculous to be actually happening. Please wake me up?"

With my plea to no-one in particular going unanswered, I did as he asked, and before long we were walking into the door of the apartment we shared. As I heard I wasn't going this year, that gives me a long time to learn. thankfully. I might not be especially fluent by the time I presumably leave for Japan, but I should be competent enough as to not be a walking embarrassment to the western world.

"This is going to be a long year..."

-------------------

April 3rd 2007

"Have you got your passport?"

"Yes, Grandfather"

"Your paperwork for enrollment at Yamaku?"

"Yes, Grandfather"

"Your medication?"

"Of course! What do you take me for, an idiot?" I felt and sounded mock-offended at his suggestion that I could forget the things that were routinely drilled into my head at the hospital not to forget. I even sound responsible. Gosh.

"No, Wilhelm, I take you for someone who is going to the other side of the world on his own, on my money, and on my insistence. I feel both responsible for this and adamant that you don't mess it up. Don't mess it up, Wilhelm."

"Grandfather, I've told you, it's William."

"Attention all passengers. The Japan Airlines flight to Narita is now boarding at gate 5. All passengers for the Japan Airlines flight to Narita, please proceed to gate 5, thank you."

This announcement brought a sad look to my Grandfather's face. This was my first flight, as I would be connecting with an All Nippon Airways flight at Narita, which would then take me onto Sendai, the region where the school was located. Why can't it be in Tokyo? I feel a slight annoyance at having to take more than just a single flight, but it shouldn't be too tiring. I wasn't flying for more than a full day at least.

"Well...Wilhelm...this is it, isn't it? The culmination of a year's worth of preparation, I have faith you'll carry yourself with an air of dignity. Don't fail me, boy."

"Grandfather...trust me, I'll make you proud to be a Dresner." My Grandfather had the biggest smile I had seen for a long time at my last comment. Then, something very strange happened. We both walked forward and embraced each other. Separating from him, and looking him in the eyes, I simply said "Goodbye, Grandfather. Pass auf dich auf"

That was the first time I'd spoken his mother tongue in a long time, and he appreciated it. I even thought I saw a tear drop down from one of his eyes, but he embraced me again, returning the same phrase back to me. Then, speechless, we simply smiled at each other and parted ways. I had an interesting year ahead of me no doubt. But too busy to contemplate on the year ahead, I rushed myself to ensure I didn't miss my flight, getting there briskly with 10 minutes to spare.

"Well, here we go. Goodbye England, I'll miss you and your terrible weather" I sarcastically thought as I boarded the plane.
Last edited by GibGabGoo on Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:45 am, edited 12 times in total.
misterprinny

Re: Strictly a Pulmonary matter (Feedback appreciated)

Post by misterprinny »

Looks very interesting so far.

One question. It seems like William is supposed to be going to college, but yet he's going to Yamaku which is a high school? Did he get held back a year?
Head Editor at Stewart-Class 7 Studios, an OELVN studio similar to 4LS. Please check out our blog and website and our forums.
GibGabGoo

Post by GibGabGoo »

misterprinny wrote:Looks very interesting so far.

One question. It seems like William is supposed to be going to college, but yet he's going to Yamaku which is a high school? Did he get held back a year?
Thank you!

Yes. My lack of knowledge about transition from the British education system to the Japanese education system influenced that quite a bit. As you can start College at 16 in Britain, If you transferred to the USA or Japan for instance, I'm not sure if you would transfer to a College or a High School?
misterprinny

Post by misterprinny »

GibGabGoo wrote:
misterprinny wrote:Looks very interesting so far.

Thank you!

Yes. My lack of knowledge about transition from the British education system to the Japanese education system influenced that quite a bit. As you can start College at 16 in Britain, If you transferred to the USA or Japan for instance, I'm not sure if you would transfer to a College or a High School?
Ahh I see. I'm not sure either, but logically it feels like he would transfer to a high school. Thank you for the clarification, I didn't realize he was in Britain :lol:
Head Editor at Stewart-Class 7 Studios, an OELVN studio similar to 4LS. Please check out our blog and website and our forums.
GibGabGoo

Post by GibGabGoo »

misterprinny wrote:Ahh I see. I'm not sure either, but logically it feels like he would transfer to a high school. Thank you for the clarification, I didn't realize he was in Britain :lol:
Yeah, I think I unintentionally left it fairly ambiguous as to where this chapter actually takes place(Barring obscure place names you'll never have heard of unless you're actually from Britain), until the last line of the chapter.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

...my brain appeared to head my order...
I think you meant "heed"

I'm not sure if the part where they decide to send him to Japan is meant to be funny... I'll assume it is.

Also - and this is only a minor thing - the travel itinerary seems a bit... unusual.
Firstly, threre are plenty of direct flights from London to Japan - Why go through Istanbul of all places? It adds more than three hours flight time (plus transfer) to the schedule, and that should be a consideration for someone with health problems.
And secondly Osaka is twice as far away from Sendai as Tokyo, so it would probably be easier to fly directly to Narita.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
GibGabGoo

Post by GibGabGoo »

Mirage_GSM wrote:
...my brain appeared to head my order...
I think you meant "heed"

I'm not sure if the part where they decide to send him to Japan is meant to be funny... I'll assume it is.

Also - and this is only a minor thing - the travel itinerary seems a bit... unusual.
Firstly, threre are plenty of direct flights from London to Japan - Why go through Istanbul of all places? It adds more than three hours flight time (plus transfer) to the schedule, and that should be a consideration for someone with health problems.
And secondly Osaka is twice as far away from Sendai as Tokyo, so it would probably be easier to fly directly to Narita.

I did, thanks for the correction.

Rather than outright comedic value it was meant to be more of a "Oh shit what're you doing?" scene with a little comedic value at William's expense.

Also, yeah, about the flight route, from what I could see there are no flight routes direct to Sendai from London. The only one I could find was through Istanbul and onto Osaka. I'll revise it so it goes directly to Narita, thanks!
Specter Von Baren

Post by Specter Von Baren »

This story as it is, is shaping out to just be doing the same story as the game except switching out Hisao with an OC.

The thing I suggest is to actually have Hisao in this story. Have it so this story is going on at the same time as one of the girl's paths. I think that would make the story much better. If you were already planning on doing this then kudos for looking ahead.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Actually I find stories that don't feature the KS cast to be very refreshing. There are already about a dozen sotries in this forum where an OC arrives at Yamaku to join Hisao's class ^^°

griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
GibGabGoo

Post by GibGabGoo »

Specter Von Baren wrote:This story as it is, is shaping out to just be doing the same story as the game except switching out Hisao with an OC.

The thing I suggest is to actually have Hisao in this story. Have it so this story is going on at the same time as one of the girl's paths. I think that would make the story much better. If you were already planning on doing this then kudos for looking ahead.
Ah don't worry, I've got plot points planned out that should distinguish the story from the game's. The main thing I wanted to avoid when planning this was it being the same story with a different main character.

Also, yes, I'm planning on having Hisao in the story as a regular character at some point.
Mirage_GSM wrote:Actually I find stories that don't feature the KS cast to be very refreshing. There are already about a dozen sotries in this forum where an OC arrives at Yamaku to join Hisao's class ^^°
Some of the KS cast will be featured as sometimes central to a certain plot point/regular characters etc., but I plan to write some more OCs in, instead of just using the established characters.
Macken Park Ideas

Post by Macken Park Ideas »

This is a good idea for a story.

Then again, stories I tend to make generally are hard for me to pace, so I thought it would be nice to see another person's story to see what I can do for mine.

Poor William... Hopefully he'll make some friends as well.

Otherwise, most of the other people already posted critiques I would have had.
griffon8

Post by griffon8 »

GibGabGoo wrote:Also, yes, I'm planning on having Hisao in the story as a regular character at some point.
You'll have to change the timeline then. KS takes place in 2007. Unless you're planning on him being one of the teachers; if so, carry on.
I found out about Katawa Shoujo through the forums of Misfile. There, I am the editor of Misfiled Dreams.

Completed: 100%, including bonus picture. Shizune>Emi>Lilly>Hanako>Rin

Griffon8's Writing
GibGabGoo

Post by GibGabGoo »

griffon8 wrote:
GibGabGoo wrote:Also, yes, I'm planning on having Hisao in the story as a regular character at some point.
You'll have to change the timeline then. KS takes place in 2007. Unless you're planning on him being one of the teachers; if so, carry on.
Oh, of course. I'm an idiot. Thank you kindly for pointing this out and saving me some embarrassment!
GibGabGoo

Post by GibGabGoo »

Chapter 1: Brave New World- April 4th 2007

"So, this is it? This looks far too fancy to be a school for the crippled".

Many thoughts and feelings raced throughout my mind as the bus drove more and more quietly into the distance, and I stood in slight awe of the regal looking gate in front of me. It wasn't what I had in mind for a school run primarily for disabled students, though I quickly remembered how expensive this place was, and it certainly did look the part for a private school. Whether I looked the part for a private disabled school was another matter entirely.

I was told that there would be someone waiting for me at the gate. This person was evidently late, as my phone informed me that it was 8:08pm, I had told them I was due to arrive dead-on 8. Clearly the Japanese efficiency that I'd heard about wasn't present here. Maybe being late was a trait of the disabled?

My musings were interrupted by the sound of the gate next to which I had leaned opening. A young man who I assumed was about my age came into my field of view. The school's uniform confirmed that he wasn't a member of staff, at least. He looked studious, every inch of him looked relatively neat and tidy, and a small pair of glasses adorned his face. This must be my late guide.

"Good evening, and welcome to Yamaku. My name's Osamu Nakahara, and I'll be your Class Representative this year". He says all this while in a long bow. Such is the Japanese custom. Though perhaps being a foreigner, politeness is pushed to the forefront of interaction? His bow seemed quite overdone.

"Yes, hello. I'm William Dresner, pleased to meet you". I reply, promptly bowing back in a similar fashion myself. I can already tell it'd take some time before this became as natural as the old-fashioned handshake was to me.

Raising my head once again, I noticed that Osamu had a Cane at his left, and was leaning on it with quite some force. Making an effort not to be obvious, I averted my gaze from it and looked him in the eye. "I wonder what's wrong with him?".

"Shall we head inside? I'm sure there's a lot you want to know".

Osamu's question broke me from my thinking, and, slightly embarrassed, I replied "Yes...of course. Sorry about that, kinda dazed off for a second there...long flight".

"Oh, if I may ask, where did you fly from?".

Mastering the art of walking, carrying my luggage, and talking simultaneously, I hastily replied "England. I flew from London. It was about a 12 hour flight into Japan then an hour-long flight from Narita. The jet lag really makes you feel exhausted".

"England? I've always wanted to go there, you have some really beautiful buildings, I don't think I could handle a 12-hour flight though!". This comment is accompanied by slight laughter from him at the end. I didn't realise which part of that was meant to be funny, but to be polite, I chuckled back a little bit.

"Yeah, it really does. The British museum is fantastic if you ever do end up going. I'd certainly recommend it anyway." My recommendation seems to light a smile on Osamu's face.

"Oh I know! I've always wanted to go and see the Ancient Egyptian stuff they have there. I could spend days just looking over everything they have in there!"

His enthusiasm for history reminded me of my Grandfather in a way. Though I suspect Osamu's historical enthusiasm wasn't restricted to German history. Looking ahead, I realised we were now at the entrance to the school. My home for the entire year. I don't know if I'll be able to bear it, though I could get used to the decidedly up-market surroundings.

"Yeah...I have to go see the Doctor, don't I?" My changing of the subject seems to sadden him a little, but he replies with efficiency.

"Yes, all new students have to get checked out by the Nurse, I'll take you there now if you want? Unless there's anywhere else..."

"Yes, there is actually. I'm assuming there's a library here?"

"There is! Though it'll be closed at the moment...I could show you tomorrow if you like? We're in the same class, so I could show you after class, it's not hard to find". "Urgh, getting used to this silly school year is going to be a pain. Why start in the beginning of April? It must be some sort of a joke."

"Sure, that'll be great Osamu, thanks. So, straight to the Doctor's it is".

"Sure thing. If you're lucky, you wont have to see the Nurse all that much except for routine check-ups". "He keeps going on about this nurse. Frankly, I wouldn't mind having to see an attractive nurse on a regular basis, though I'm sure my health would disagree with me..."

With nothing else left to discuss on the matter, we quickly and promptly walked to the Nurse's office, mentally noting where it was in relation to the entrance. Though I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to ask for help if I got lost, I'd rather not be dependent on the help of other students.

"Well, this is it. Do you need help finding the boy's dorm too?"

"No, I should be fine, I think I spotted the dormitories on the way in. Room one-one-eight shouldn't be too difficult to find. Thank you for the offer though, Osamu".

"One-one-eight? Oh...okay. You're welcome William. Remember, I'm your Class Representative this year, so come straight to me if you need help with anything, okay?" He said this with a genuinely friendly smile on his face. I actually felt somewhat welcome.

"Yeah...I'll make sure I do Osamu, thanks. I'll see you tomorrow, then? Class 3-4, right?" His nod confirms my thinking and I wish him well as he turns around and leaves me to face this hopefully very attractive nurse.

I knock on the door and hear a muffled acknowledgement to enter.

------------------

Upon entering I'm greeted with a sight I wasn't exactly expecting.

First of all, it's a male nurse. Second of all, his hair was what I could only describe as light purple/blue-ish. And third of all, he was squinting. Abnormally squinting. It was quite disconcerting.

"Ah, hello! Take a seat! You must be...Dresner, right?" I remembered social etiquette and bowed in front of him and replied to his inquiry.

"Yes, William Dresner, sir".

He seemed to laugh at my formality which drew a confused look from me, which he kindly addressed.

"Oh, sorry, I'm just laughing at this politeness, I don't expect as much from many students, least likely a foreigner! We don't have to be so formal here, Dresner, we're all like a big...friendly community, here". His smile was a little off-putting too. Along with his eyes, I felt like he was going to turn this visit into a badly made horror film.

"Erm...I'll remember that, thank you. Nurse...?"

"Hmm...? Oh, just call me Nurse, that's what everyone else does!". "So, he squints an abnormal amount, he seems to have a smile constantly plastered on his face, he has a strange hair-colour, and he doesn't have a name? This guy MUST be a horror villain".

"Oh. Sure, okay...Nurse". My apparent confusion and awkwardness elicits another chuckle from him.

"Anyway, Dresner. Down to business."

His sudden change of tone and disappearance of his smile take me by surprise. This must be what he's like on the job.

"From the information I received from your resident Doctor, you underwent a full pulmonary transplant a little over a year ago, right?" "Pulmonary...? Oh, yes of course, Lungs".

"Erm, yes. Just over a year ago, Nurse".

"How have you been adjusting to it? Regular light exercise?"

"Erm, yes. I spent three months going to a rehabilitation gym after the transplant. Other than that I haven't been doing anything too stressful, yes". I avoided overtly lying about this. But I'd neglected to keep up a regular exercise schedule like my Doctor had suggested. This one seems like he might be a bit more diligent though.

"Abstinence from Tobacco and Alcohol products, yes?"

"Certainly, I haven't touched Alcohol or Tobacco in well over a year, Nurse". This one was actually true. After I was hospitalised I was unable to acquire alcohol or cigarettes, and I doubt I would've been allowed to had I been able to regardless. Being in the hospital actually helped me inadvertently quit Smoking, as I'd been a regular smoker previously.

"Well, make sure you keep it that way, right? I know you're turning 20 soon. Don't let you being of legal age tempt you to go back to either of those things. It'd wreak havoc on your body, Dresner". The way he said this made me anxious, he sounded like he'd throttle me himself if I defied his orders. It also reminded me that the legal age for Smoking and Drinking was indeed 20 in Japan, as opposed to the 18 for both back home.

"I will do, you don't have to worry about me".

"Good, now...give me a second, I need to find your file".

He spends a good half a minute flipping through his many stacks of files neatly set about on his desk, though they're seemingly not in Alphabetical order, or surely he wouldn't be taking so long. I can't imagine their being many people with the name Dresner in a Japanese school.

"Ah, here we are, Dresner!" He exclaims triumphantly, retrieving it from its brethren and removing the contents from their folder. Going over the several sheets of paper inside, he sets them down and looks straight at me.

"Well, everything here seems to be in order. You've got enough medication to last you for the next six months. Just come to me within the month when you need more. Other than that you should already know everything you need to know about your medication schedule?"

"Yep. Three capsules a day, once a day, before I go to sleep. I got it drilled into my skull by my last Doctor, so you don't have to worry about me forgetting".

"Oh my, well I'm no brain surgeon, so I can't promise the same results I'm afraid". He smirks at his apparent joke. "Brain surgeon jokes...really? Does he tell those to everyone?"

"Erm, anyway, moving on from comedy, I'm sure you'll be fine with your medication. Might I recommend the swimming pool or the running track for some regular light exercise? Nothing too harsh of course, though something to just get your body to work up a light sweat."

"I'll look into them, yes. Thanks for the recommendations."

"So, unless there's anything else you want to discuss, you're free to go, Dresner. Don't let me see you again too quickly!" He said quite jovially with a large smirk on his face. Dear lord I hope I don't have to see this man too often.

Leaving the chair and standing up, I give it a think and come to the conclusion that there's nothing that I need to bring up with him. Giving me an exit window from this strange, yet (I think) good-natured gentleman.

"No, there's nothing else I can think of Nurse. I'll make sure to come to you or one of your staff if there's anything urgent I need to discuss. Goodbye!" I say, shaking his outstretched hand in a firm handshake, picking up my luggage that I have so far neglected to drop off at my room, and left his office. Feeling a little relieved.

"Right, time to drop off my stuff at my room, room one-one-eight if memory serves me right." My Key was buried inside my bag, and only outside the room would I permit myself to searching and sifting through my things to find it.

-------------------

118 - Dresner.W

I stood outside my room, after a good 20 minutes of wandering around campus (I had refused to ask anyone else on my first day being here, and I kept making myself believe that I remembered exactly where the dormitories were) I was finally outside my room for the next year of schooling. It was a strange feeling, thinking this is where I was going to be staying for the next year. An ambivalence of dread and anticipation.

None of the other rooms near mine seemed to be occupied either, the lack of names on the number-plates seemed like a give-away. Apart from one. One of the rooms opposite me had a light shining out from underneath it.

117 - Setou.K

I considered introducing myself to, from what I could tell, my lone hallmate. However, my brain pleaded with me to leave that until tomorrow and get some needed rest. I happily obliged, mentally noting to remember to introduce myself to him in the morning. "I do hope he's at least passingly interested in something other than sports. Sports nuts irritate me".

Putting my luggage on the floor, I surprisingly quickly fished out my room key from among such things as my new school uniform (God, it feels wierd to say that. I hadn't had to wear a Uniform since I left mandatory schooling at 16), my Japanese student Visa, and my Passport.

Congratulating myself on finding it so quickly, I unlocked the door to my home and entered, quickly dumping my bags on the floor of my surprisingly spacious room and shutting the door behind me. My phone indicated that it was now 9:06pm, and I felt exhausted.

I promptly decided to only unpack my medication plus the bare essentials for classes tomorrow; my alarm clock, a uniform set, and some shampoos and the like for a morning shower. I quickly swallowed my daily dose of pills, locked my door, undressed, and climbed into the surprisingly comfy bed.

Staring up at the ceiling, my brain calling for sleep. I gave one last thought before I gave in to the call of slumber.

"Well...here we go."

---------------------------

As always, Feedback and Criticism is happily accepted AND encouraged. Thanks for reading!
Last edited by GibGabGoo on Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:36 am, edited 4 times in total.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

As you encourage it ;-)

You jump between past and present tense several times - once even in one sentence.

"as the bus drove quieter and quieter into the distance"
Should be "more and more quietly" to be grammatically correct.

"I don't know if I'll be able to bare it, "
I guess you mean "bear". Sounds the same but means something different...

Three capsules a day, and he has enough for six months? He has to be lugging around more than 500 capsules^^°

"It'd reek havoc on your body, Dresner."
Should probably be "wreak". Not even a homophone this time.

Sore wa himitsu desu.