Bad Ends

WORDS WORDS WORDS

mumei

Re: Bad Ends

Post by mumei »

A couple of things:
  1. Japanese funerals aren't like what's described in the Hanako bad end. Generally speaking, the process takes several days, during which time you go view the body at the home of the deceased, attend a Buddhist service, and (if you're really close to the person) attend the cremation, after which you put the remaining bones into the urn with chopsticks (this is the origin of the taboo against passing food between chopsticks, BTW). It's all fairly ritualistic, though it would give both Hisao and Lilly a chance to cry their eyes out in front of Hanako's family.
  2. Japanese people, especially those with only a high school level of English, really can't tell different accents apart that well. I can't tell you how many times I've been asked if I'm from Australia by Japanese people who do speak the language. (I'm from the United States.)
Nya-chan

Post by Nya-chan »

mumei wrote:a Buddhist service
What about Shintoistic funeral?
Czech translation: ui_strings, Monday complete, Tuesday IP (15%)
Shy ~ Purple hair lover ~ Iconist ~ Banner maker ~ Stupid romantic that often gets hurt
The Commissar

Post by The Commissar »

Hm...cremating a burn victim...coincidental...
Resident "morale officer".
Boosh!

Post by Boosh! »

mumei wrote:A couple of things:
  1. Japanese funerals aren't like what's described in the Hanako bad end. Generally speaking, the process takes several days, during which time you go view the body at the home of the deceased, attend a Buddhist service, and (if you're really close to the person) attend the cremation, after which you put the remaining bones into the urn with chopsticks (this is the origin of the taboo against passing food between chopsticks, BTW). It's all fairly ritualistic, though it would give both Hisao and Lilly a chance to cry their eyes out in front of Hanako's family.
  2. Japanese people, especially those with only a high school level of English, really can't tell different accents apart that well. I can't tell you how many times I've been asked if I'm from Australia by Japanese people who do speak the language. (I'm from the United States.)
Man I don't know how Japan works.
Validus Razgriz

Post by Validus Razgriz »

Boosh! wrote:Man I don't know how Japan works.
Meh, I kinda knew that their funerals are different. Pretty much the only reason why is because I watched YuYu Hakusho, lol.
Nya-chan wrote:What about Shintoistic funeral?
According to Wikipedia (I know, I know, great pick for a source) a lot of followers of Shinto choose to have Buddhist funerals.
"We all suffer from the preoccupation that there exists... in the loved one, perfection."
SirMax

Post by SirMax »

mumei wrote:A couple of things:
Japanese people, especially those with only a high school level of English, really can't tell different accents apart that well. I can't tell you how many times I've been asked if I'm from Australia by Japanese people who do speak the language. (I'm from the United States.)[/list]
well, I dunno. Maybe the guy's actually from Australia and Hisao just thinks he's american.

also I fixed some silly mistakes in the post like "eight" being "either" and two versions of sentence blending together and being incomprehensible.
OtakuMegane

Post by OtakuMegane »

Validus Razgriz wrote:
Nya-chan wrote:What about Shintoistic funeral?
According to Wikipedia (I know, I know, great pick for a source) a lot of followers of Shinto choose to have Buddhist funerals.
As was described to me at one point when I visited Japan, Shinto is for dealing with life and Buddhism deals more with death and what comes after. It's obviously not that simplistic in practice, but that gives a general idea of how they interact.
Lilly > Hanako > Misha > Yuuko > Emi > Rin > Shizune

<OtakuMegane> sdfgegervdrtt456rth?
<A22> who are you
<A22> yeah fuck it you have otaku in your name
<A22> the dislike just comes naturally
<OtakuMegane> :D
<A22> shu tup
Validus Razgriz

Post by Validus Razgriz »

Well, I started watching Higurashi no Naku Koro ni yesterday. I think I understand the whole "bad end" thing better now, lol.
"We all suffer from the preoccupation that there exists... in the loved one, perfection."