Love Is Blind

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Sartarus

Love Is Blind

Post by Sartarus »

Hey everybody! New writer here, heh, kinda nervous. please, no hateful spam. I also had my buddy Extremist_Line proofread it for me so hopefully there wont be too many grammar/spelling mistakes

Anyways, yeah so....enjoy

BUT FIRST!!!! my OC's bio:

Name: Seth Blaine

Emoish hair style, covering left eye. Has a blonde streak going over the patch over his eye. Eyes are deep blue. Skin is a little paler than most. Otaku.

Disability: Epilepsy

Does not know when to shut up. Very loyal to friends. Always stands up for his girl. A little wild.

Love Is Blind

Chapter 1: The Prologue

Yamaku. The gates alone towered above me like the Gates of Hell. Beyond these gates stood the enormous campus, seething with life from those challenged like me. Damn my Epilepsy. If only I hadn’t had that seizure a couple months ago I would still be with my friends back in America, but noooo, my parents insisted that I go here so that I could be close to some kind of facility that can help me. I took a deep breath and trudged forward, opening the metaphorical gates of hell. Maybe it won’t be that bad. Maybe I’ll be able to make some friends like my mom said; maybe I can resume a normal life; maybe, just maybe, I can feel like my old self, before the seizure.

As soon as I entered the main building I found myself face-to-face with an energetic looking young girl. She had light brown hair and bright green eyes. She looked at me and smiled, then turned away and trotted off to some unknown business that needed tending to. I have to admit, the clack, clack, clack from her prosthetic legs got quite annoying quite fast.
For a few minutes, I wandered around the campus, looking for the dorms while trying to get myself acquainted to my new…home. Even thinking about this place as home disgusts me… Every time those two words: Yamaku and Home were in the same sentence, I would shudder harshly. I finally gave up and tried to find my class… maybe someone would help me there.

I forced my legs to move, one foot in front of the other, towards my first class, room 3-3. I was already late, couldn’t really get much worse, right?

As soon as I opened the door, the teacher looked at me and smiled… His smile was sickly sweet, as if he pitied me. It felt as if he had just walked up to me and said, “You poor thing, please come in and join the rest of the poor creatures that will be your classmates from now on.” It took all my strength not to just make my fist connect with his face and knock out a few teeth.

“Please, come take a seat. I believe there’s an empty seat behind mister Nakai.”

A young man raised his hand and signaled me to sit behind him. His hair struck me as…strange. The color wasn’t strange; it was the fact that there was this one big clump of hair, just sticking upward, as if trying to escape from this man’s head. I forced my hand to stay at my side, as I just wanted to reach out and pluck the hairs out of his skull. I walked past him and sat in the empty seat behind him.

Looking around, I noticed many different kinds of people, some that looked enjoyable, some…not so much. A few people caught my eye, most notably the girl with the pink drill hair… I wondered how she kept it like that; I soon found myself staring then looked away.

The class work was stereotypical: I looked up for inspiration, down for despair, and left and right for answers. I looked around and saw most people were working in groups but I decided to stay to myself. To be honest, I didn’t want to associate myself with some of these people…they all looked one of two ways: either annoying, or asshole-ish.

I just barely laid my pen on my desk as the bell for lunch rang. I crossed my arms on my desk and pressed my forehead on my arms, closing my eyes and trying to catch a little sleep. This, however, was all for naught. One of the girls I saw earlier had slammed her palms on my desk, forcing me to look up at her as she looked back with cold, almost hateful eyes.

I slowly sat up and her hands began moving furiously. I watched her curiously and looked at her with a raised eyebrow. While she signed I examined her face, dark blue hair cropped short, accompanied by dark blue eyes hidden behind a pair of glasses that reflected the glare from the sun perfectly, making her seem as evil as the look in her eyes.

She finally ended her frantic signing and looked around a little, stomped over to the pink drill haired girl from earlier and dragged her over to me. The blue haired girl signed everything all over again and Ms. Drill Hair began speaking:

“You, new student, I know you are new here but I must inform you, please do not sleep during school hours, you may end up
injuring one of our mobile challenged students! Wahahahaha~!”

I highly doubt that Ms. Strict towering above me would really say wahahahaha , so I guessed that she was deaf and the other, pink haired girl was her interpreter. I shrugged and laid my head back down and closed my eyes again.
The deaf girl slammed her hands back on my desk and I forced myself to stand up, grab my bag and walk out. I eventually found my way to the roof and sprawled out in the sun.

“What the hell was her problem?” I said to myself out loud. “If she didn’t want me to sleep in the classroom she just had to ask…”

The bell startled me back to reality as our lunch period ended. I shuffled through the halls again. They seemed fairly empty for lunch having just ended. I let out a long yawn, covering my mouth with my hand as I found myself walking into something solid.

I looked at what I had run into and found myself looking at a blonde woman with deep blue eyes looking straight ahead, as if I wasn’t there.

“Oh dear, I’m so sorry, are you alright?”

“Yeah,” I said, backing up a bit and moving out of her path. “But are you alright? I was walking fairly fast…”

“Yes, yes, I’m alright, thank you for your concern. Now, if you will excuse me, I must get to my class. It was nice meeting you mister…”

“Blaine. My name is Seth Blaine.”

“It is nice to meet you Mr. Blaine. I’m Lilly Satou.” She then began to walk away and I couldn’t help but catch myself watching her.

I may like this place after all…

WEll, there ya go, first fic ever written, sorry its pretty short, maybe with time and experience i can make my chapters longer.....hopefully this wont end up as an abandoned story....
Last edited by Sartarus on Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flames to dust.
Lovers to friends.
Why must all good things come to an end?

Ashes to a newborn phoenix.
Friends to soul mates.
All good things end, to be reborn again.
Sartarus

Re: Love Is Blind

Post by Sartarus »

Well, here we go, Chapter 2
Also, something i want to get out there, every time i go from a dream sequence to reality, i'm going to change the point of view.

Also, if you like this story, please comment

Here you go, Chapter 2 of Love Is Blind.

Chapter 2: The Resolution

The two of them sat on the bank, their feet soaking in the water, the boy’s hand placed on hers. Both were smiling and facing the lake. The boy mustered up enough courage to speak.

“It really is beautiful Lilly…”

“I’m sure it is.” The beautiful blonde opened her sightless eyes, their hazy film revealing to the world her inability to enjoy sights such as this.

“Oh god, Lilly I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to offend you in any way.”

“No, it’s quite alright. I have come to terms with the fact that some people can view beauty that I cannot. But, on the other hand, I can see beauty most others cannot.”

“And what, pray tell, can you see?”

“I can see the true nature of people. I can see into their hearts and view who they truly are, behind the facades and the masks.”

The boy chuckled and looked back over the lake, still smiling.

Some time passed before either of them spoke again, Lilly was the one to break the silence.

“You know, Seth, I have never known a boy to take me out to see something beautiful… when I cannot see.” She smiled and turned in the boy’s general direction.

Seth could feel his face getting hot and tried to hide it, despite the fact that she couldn’t see him. Lilly sensed his embarrassment and let out a soft laugh and moved closer to him.

This was the only chance he would get: would he try something a bit risky or keep it at a distance and never get close to her? Only one way to find out, he thought as he lifted his arm and placed it around Lilly’s thin shoulders. The girl made no strange movements as if she were frightened, but instead moved closer to Seth. His heart was racing in his chest, feeling as if it were trying to escape. Oh God, this was his only chance, should he try it? Would she get upset? Would she get scared and run away? Once again, the boy dug deep within himself and pulled his heart from his throat back into his chest and spoke.

“Lilly…”

“Yes?”

She had done what he hoped she would: she turned towards him. Seth slowly placed his hand on her cheek and leaned forward. This was it, he was about to kiss the woman he loved. The boy slowed as he heard a shrill noise, he glanced around to try and find the source but soon dismissed it and leaned in closer to Lilly.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“GOD DAMN IT!!!” I screamed, staring up at my ceiling, the alarm clock next to my bed sounding like some sort of cruel bird.

Another dream… Damn, why can’t it ever be real, I thought.

I’ve been having dreams about her for days now, ever since I bumped into her in the hallway my first day. Most of them have ended this way, just getting to the good part then my damned alarm clock ruins it for me.

I let out a deep sigh and flung the blankets off of me, swinging my legs out of bed. I opened the drawer on my nightstand
and pulled out a few bottles of medication, unscrewed the tops, and choked down the horse pills they made me eat to stay alive.

I forced myself to stand up and stretch my legs and walked to my closet. I grabbed a new uniform and yawned big, turning
towards my door. I opened the door and locked it, my clothes and a towel draped over my arm. I turned around and found a bespectacled young man staring at me in the face from behind thick, Coke-bottle glasses. I jumped when I first noticed him but soon settled down.

“Who are you?!” He practically screamed at me. “Are you in cahoots with the women of this school?!”

I raised an eyebrow and looked at him as if I thought he was insane…which I did. I dismissed his crazy accusations and walked towards the bathroom to take a shower. Unbeknownst to me, the Coke-bottle kid followed me.

As I stepped out of the showers, drying my hair, I found myself standing face-to-face, stark naked with the guy who had confronted me in the hallway.

“I’ll ask you one more time: Are you in league with the female conspirators?!”

Conspirators? I thought this over and soon found myself bent over, laughing at the ridiculous claim. Several minutes passed as my laughing fit subsided, I wiped my eyes and walked over to a sink, wrapping my towel around my waist.

“Hmmm,” he said, his hand on his chin, looking at me quizzically. “You don’t seem to know anything about them, so… I’ll let it slide.”

He began walking towards me, still stark naked. Oh dear God, I hope this isn’t like the jail I thought it to be, I looked around and noted that there was no soap on the floor so I presumed I was safe.

Oh, how wrong I was.

He stood beside me and put his hand on my shoulder, looking into my eyes through the mirror.

“Man, we guys need to stick together; these women are trying to overthrow the male world! They’ve already capture Hisao, but I think he’s just working undercover, making them think they have him captured. Smart man.”

I looked at him again, eyebrow raised.

“May I finish brushing my teeth in peace now, please?” I gurgled at him, my mouth filled with the green crap they call toothpaste in the town.

He looked at me then looked around him, as if to see if anyone was listening.

“Man, you can’t be too careful, they’re everywhere. They probably have hidden cameras and microphones in this very
bathroom! Be very knowledgeable about your surroundings. I’ve got some graphs and charts and shit in my room to show you how much of a hold these women have on our lives, give me a second and I’ll go get ‘em.”

He left and I decided not to stick around long enough for him to get back, he’s probably running down the halls, still stark naked screaming about whatever the hell he just tried to talk to me about.

I walked to class 3-3 with Lilly still on my mind. I was so distracted that I almost ran smack into Ms. Drill Hair on my daily trek to the main building.

“Hey, aren’t you Seth?” She asked. Apparently she still doesn’t know my name, even though we’ve spent the past few days sitting a few feet apart.

“Yeah,” I replied, attempting to walk past her.

“Can you help me, please? I’ve lost Shicchan and I’m trying to find her.”

“Well, usually when you lose something you try to find it.” I turned away and tried to walk to class. I didn’t make it any further than two steps before Ms. Drill Hair caught me again and began to talk.

“Do you really have to be so rude?” She asked with a stern face on which did not seem to fit her personality. She then adopted a large, ear to ear grin and grabbed my arm. “You’re going to help me find Shicchan whether you want to or not! Wahahahaha~!”

That laugh, after it spewed forth from the thing she called a mouth, I could feel people glance towards us. She practically dragged me around the entire campus until we found Ms. Strict. On the ride here, I had learned that Ms. Drill Hair’s name was Shiina Mikado, or Misha for short, and that Ms. Strict or Shicchan was Shizune Hakamichi. Nice names, I have to admit, they fit their personalities.

After finally finding Shizune, Misha released my arm from her death grip and ran to Shizune’s side, where the both of them began signing what would have been better off being Greek.
After only a few more steps, I got stopped by Shizune who began signing.

“Thank you for helping Misha find me. And as a side note, please don’t fall asleep in the classroom again today, Wahahahaha~!”

Walking to my class I began thinking to myself: at some point during the next few days, I was going to have some kind of extended conversation with Lilly. If things turn out well, I’ll have someone I can talk to in this Hell. If not, well then… Let’s just say I’m fucked.

Alrighty, ending note: I like how this one was a bit longer than chapter 1. again, i hope everyone out there likes it.
Last edited by Sartarus on Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Flames to dust.
Lovers to friends.

Friends to soul mates.
trekki859

Post by trekki859 »

freaking awesome man i really really like this currently reflecting my mood a lot to so im really looking forward to the next bit!
in the wise words of Jack O'neill ..."what?"
Sartarus

Post by Sartarus »

well, thank you very much, i hope i have my first fan on my hands here. I'll try to update as soon as possible but due to difficulties at home, I may not post very often. but i think i have a solution, in my free time at school ill try to write and update....maybe.....depends if i remember anyways thanks for commenting
Flames to dust.
Lovers to friends.

Friends to soul mates.
Devon

Post by Devon »

As a Lilly fanboy, thank you for making this awesome story. :3
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

No complaints regarding language, taypos aso.

About the story...
- Severe epilepsy can probably be a very limiting affliction, but "a seizure a couple of months ago" would probably be nothing you'd be sent to a school like Yamaku for.

- Also, they probably wouldn't send him to a school in Japan. A couple of months is not much time to learn japanese well enough to attend a school there, and if his parents can afford sending him to a school overseas, they probably could afford sending him to a school in the US.
So... Either don't make your OC an American or come up with a good reason, why he schould be sent to Japan. If you choose the latter, you should also mention language and cultural problems. The different culture should be as large an adjustment as the fact that he's sent to a school for disabled.

- Could it be that your OC also has anger management issues that you didn't mention in his bio?

- How would you andanger someone by sleeping in class?

- You skipped several days between chapter one and two. Why? The first days are the ones that would make the biggest impression on him. I see no obvious reason for the skip, except for the fact that he has been dreaming about Lilly several times. Just one dream (the dream scene was very nice by the way.) would leave almost as strong an impression, and he could just as well meet Kenji on his second day.

- What does Misha gain by dragging him along on her search for Shizune? Seems to me, he would just slow her down... Then again, we're talking about Misha... I can't picture Shizune thanking him for that, though.

All in all a good story. Looking forward to the next part.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Sartarus

Post by Sartarus »

- Severe epilepsy can probably be a very limiting affliction, but "a seizure a couple of months ago" would probably be nothing you'd be sent to a school like Yamaku for.
I keep forgetting to put his entire backstory into the notes before and after the stories, ill get right to explaining why he was sent to yamaku in more detail.
- Also, they probably wouldn't send him to a school in Japan. A couple of months is not much time to learn japanese well enough to attend a school there, and if his parents can afford sending him to a school overseas, they probably could afford sending him to a school in the US.
So... Either don't make your OC an American or come up with a good reason, why he schould be sent to Japan. If you choose the latter, you should also mention language and cultural problems. The different culture should be as large an adjustment as the fact that he's sent to a school for disabled.
also should resolve this right now, even though he did not want to go to Yamaku at all, he insisted that if he go to some school for the disabled that it be somewhere in Japan. The thing about Seth is that he has had a fascination with Japan ever since he was about 7, this will be covered in upcoming chapters.
- How would you andanger someone by sleeping in class?
This is a very good question that Extremist_Line had as well and I'll tell you the same thing i told him. When i sleep in my desk i stretch my legs out in all directions possible at the time, if some student that had difficulties walking around while i was asleep, didn't notice my legs, tripped, fell, and injured themself, it would be entirely my fault.
- You skipped several days between chapter one and two. Why? The first days are the ones that would make the biggest impression on him. I see no obvious reason for the skip, except for the fact that he has been dreaming about Lilly several times. Just one dream (the dream scene was very nice by the way.) would leave almost as strong an impression, and he could just as well meet Kenji on his second day.
I skipped several days to get the point across that Seth had been dreaming of Lilly for days. Sorry if this seems like a bit of an inconvenience. Also, he has met Kenji before probably, just ignored him.
- What does Misha gain by dragging him along on her search for Shizune? Seems to me, he would just slow her down... Then again, we're talking about Misha... I can't picture Shizune thanking him for that, though
yep, that's Misha for ya, Shizune would have thanked him for that for one of 2 reasons
1. Misha can't do a damn thing without Shizune.
2. He put up with Misha's crap without getting up and running away.
Flames to dust.
Lovers to friends.

Friends to soul mates.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Sartarus wrote:
- You skipped several days between chapter one and two. Why? The first days are the ones that would make the biggest impression on him. I see no obvious reason for the skip, except for the fact that he has been dreaming about Lilly several times. Just one dream (the dream scene was very nice by the way.) would leave almost as strong an impression, ...
I skipped several days to get the point across that Seth had been dreaming of Lilly for days. Sorry if this seems like a bit of an inconvenience.
If that was your only reason for the time skip, I would advise you not to do it. The fact that he fell in love with Lilly on first sight is still obvious, and he probably learned a lot about Yamaku in those days, met other people etc. Also, I'd expect him to look for Lilly during those days and try to meet her again...

griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Sartarus

Post by Sartarus »

Mirage_GSM wrote:
Sartarus wrote:
- You skipped several days between chapter one and two. Why? The first days are the ones that would make the biggest impression on him. I see no obvious reason for the skip, except for the fact that he has been dreaming about Lilly several times. Just one dream (the dream scene was very nice by the way.) would leave almost as strong an impression, ...
I skipped several days to get the point across that Seth had been dreaming of Lilly for days. Sorry if this seems like a bit of an inconvenience.
If that was your only reason for the time skip, I would advise you not to do it. The fact that he fell in love with Lilly on first sight is still obvious, and he probably learned a lot about Yamaku in those days, met other people etc. Also, I'd expect him to look for Lilly during those days and try to meet her again...
ok, you got me there, I will try to avoid time skips that cover several days, thank you for this constructive criticism
Flames to dust.
Lovers to friends.

Friends to soul mates.
Hagon

Post by Hagon »

I like this story.
Sartarus wrote: “GOD DAMN IT!!!” I screamed, staring up at my ceiling, the alarm clock next to my bed sounding like some sort of cruel bird.
Happening to me every days... alarm clock are really cruel. :P
(but I'm not dreaming of Lilly)
"What lie in the mind of somebody stepping on the fragile line between reason and insanity is something others can't understand."
trekki859

Post by trekki859 »

meh. i dont care if a story is so full of holes that it looks like swiss cheese. as long as it reads good and grabs my attention and makes sense. i like it. i dont care about nit-picking about the details like the background of epilepsy and whatnot. its still a very good story. keep it up!
in the wise words of Jack O'neill ..."what?"
Sartarus

Post by Sartarus »

Well, Chapter 3, hope you all like it, had to wrap it up fairly quickly today so, sorry if around the end it might seem a little rushed.

Enjoy chapter 3 of Love is Blind: The Meeting.

Chapter 3: The Meeting

The first half of the day passed by at a snail’s pace. When the lunch bell rang my heart nearly jumped out of my mouth. This is it, I thought, this is the day I’m going to talk to Lilly Satou.

I stood up and grabbed my bag, starting to make my way towards the door where Hisao caught me before I could leave.

“Hey man, you busy for lunch?” He asked me.

“Not really, but I-“

“Great!! Hey, come have lunch with Shicchan, Misha, and me today, will ya?”

Damn it… Got cut off. I didn’t want to seem rude like I have been for the past few days, even though Hisao hadn’t seen me be a dick to anyone really, I decided not to start off on the wrong foot with him.

“Alright,” I told him. “But, you wouldn’t happen to know where Lilly Satou would be around this time, would you?”

“She’s usually in the tea room with Hanako during lunch. If you wanna go talk to her, I can show you where it is.”

“Would you really? If you can, it would be really helpful.” I nearly leaped for joy at the thought that I might get away from Shizune and her icy Death-Glare.

“Of course man, we guys need to stick together, right?”

Oh dear Lord, he started to sound like that kid with the Coke-bottle glasses I met this morning. What was he talking about again? Some kind of…Feminist Conspiracy? Whatever he was talking about, it sounded like total bullshit to me, I mean, who would ever believe in women taking over the world? Then I realized that Shizune was Student Council President. The thought began to flow together with the kid’s conspiracy theories and they began to make sense. I shuddered at the thought of Shizune trying to rule the world, but somehow, it seemed fitting of her.

We began walking down the hallways, trying not to get trampled by the other students.

“Hey man, are you alright? You look like you just saw the world end.”

“Yeah, I’m fine, just…thought of something I’d rather not share.”

“Alright, everyone has those moments. I get them damn near every day with Kenji.”

“Kenji?”

“Yeah, he lives across the hall from me; he’s got these really thick glasses and almost always wears a red and yellow scarf.”

“So that’s his name? I met him in the showers the other day… He started spouting some crap about a feminist conspiracy,” I chuckled here, “Pretty crazy, right?”

Hisao looked at me with a very serious demeanor and spoke in a very stern voice, “It’s not a bunch of crap, the women at this school are trying to rule the world.”

I looked back at him in shock, pondering the thought of a completely female dominated world… But then I saw Hisao start to lose control over his expression and a smile forced its way from his lips. He soon burst out laughing. I let out a sigh of relief and began to laugh along with him.

“Man, you gotta just play along with what Kenji tells you. It’s kind of fun after you get into it.”

“Oh really now?” I can possibly see how some of Kenji’s conversations could get sort of fun and interesting… if only it weren’t so mind-bogglingly insane.

Some time passed as we were walking down the halls and I decided to ask:

“Hey, Hisao, do you know Lilly well?”

“Yeah, I do, actually. Why? What do you want to know?’

“What kind of person is she?”

“Why, you got a crush on her or something?”

I looked away and felt my face get a bit warm. I rubbed the back of my neck and nodded slowly.

“I swear to God, Hisao, if you tell anyone, I will murder you!”

He chuckled at me and made a motion that looked like he was zipping his lips. We continued to walk and then stopped in front of a slightly open door.

Hisao knocked on the wall just beside the door and I heard a chair squeak across the floor. There was a little bit of talking coming from behind the door then it slowly opened, a girl with dark purple haired was holding the door, peeking out from behind it as timid as could be. I could just barely see some red flesh under the hair that covered the right side of her face but dismissed it immediately, I’ve seen weirder things. Kenji’s dick is among them.

“Um…c-can I help you…?”

“Yeah, umm… is Lilly in there?”

Hanako looked at me and then back into the room and nodded slowly, opening the door a bit more, allowing me inside. I turn and nod to Hisao, saying ‘Thank you’ and ‘may I have some time alone?’ both at the same time. He nods back to me and walks back in the direction we came from.

I walk into the tea room and smile as I see Lilly sitting at the table, facing straight ahead her eyes closed.

“Hey, Lilly, it’s-“

“Seth, yes, I remember your voice,” Lilly smiled as she said this. “Hanako, is it alright if Seth and I have a few moments alone?”

Hanako looked as if Lilly had just asked her to cut her own finger off.

“Al-alright…” When she said this, she quickly and quietly opened and closed the door behind her, leaving me standing in the peaceful room alone with Lilly.

“So, what is it you wish to speak to me about, Seth?”

“Um…well, I just wanted to say that….and please, please don’t find me strange because of this… but…I-I’ve been thinking about you…a lot lately…like, a lot a lot, and well, I was wondering if you might want to…y’know…spend some more time together…maybe?”

Lilly continued to face the same direction for several minutes, the look on her face telling me that she was thinking about my proposition.

“I… I understand if you wouldn’t want to, I mean…we just met and that was purely because I was being careless… So, um, if you need more time I can-“

“Seth, you are a wonderful young man, so kind, and caring… at first glance you might seem to be a little rough around the edges…but a little polishing and you can shine like a diamond. In response to your question: I think it would be a great idea for the two of us to spend time together.” Lilly smiled as she said this. She looked towards me and opened her eyes, I stared into the glassy blue orbs and I nearly lost myself in them.

“I…r-really? …you would…?” I could feel my face redden and my temperature rise… I then remembered that I forgot to take my medicine this morning…Oh no… No, not now, please not now…!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I awoke to the blinding white fluorescent lights embedded into the ceiling. I looked around to get a better grip on my surrounding. The room resembled a hospital: white, sterile, and very quiet. I was lying in a bed with crisp sheets that made a slight crunching sound as I moved. There was no one in the room, save myself, and the clock seemed extremely loud in the silence. I saw a sink and cupboard, on the counter were several medical tools, stethoscope, tongue depressors, cotton balls and swabs, I even saw the occasional hypodermic needle in a small plastic package.

I had had a seizure, no doubt about it. But why? I remember not taking my meds this morning but usually there’s a trigger… What could have caused it? I felt a sharp pain in my forehead and instinctively put my hand on it. It felt warm, and wet. I looked at my hand and a miniscule amount of blood. I put my hand back to my forehead and found that I had some gauze covered in medical tape across the side of my head.

Just what the hell happened after the seizure?

My mind began to wander back to my childhood. My friends from America, my learning about Japan while watching something on television one day when I was 7, how I spent the next 3 years learning how to speak Japanese fluently… The abuse I felt at my first school… The horrors I felt at each school I went to… I guess that’s why Lilly said I looked a little rough around the edges.

Lilly…

I hope I didn’t scare her… Wow… I feel like what my father used to tell me is starting to come true… He would say “Seth! You are useless! Look at your brothers; do you see how they make themselves better people by doing something other than stay at home?! All you do is sit around all day reading those God Damned Moon Runes!!!”

When I was 12, I decided to knock my dad’s lights out because he had insulted me every day since I began learning Japanese. He didn’t speak to me after that. When I was 13, my parents got a divorce… My father told me it was because I was an ungrateful son of a bitch… I punched him again because he called my mother a bitch…

My retrospect was interrupted by the Head Nurse walking through the door and looking at me sternly.

“Seth,” he said to me, “I know you’re still trying to get used to your surroundings here in Japan as well as here at Yamaku, but it is imperative that you remember to take your medicine!”

I nodded slowly and turned my head to the side, my mind wandered back to Lilly. I hope I didn’t scare her…

Soon, my mind began fogging up and I drifted into unconsciousness, the soft droll of the Nurse’s voice a lullaby as Lilly consumed my thoughts.

And there you go. Hope you enjoyed.
Flames to dust.
Lovers to friends.

Friends to soul mates.
Morph

Post by Morph »

Why do all guys at school forget to take their medicine the day they want to get closer to a girl?
I guess the Nurse has a lot of work because of this... :wink:

There's one thing I don't understand:
“Seth, you are a wonderful young man, so kind, and caring… at first glance you might seem to be a little rough around the edges…but a little polishing and you can shine like a diamond. In response to your question: I think it would be a great idea for the two of us to spend time together.”
I had the impression that they just met the first day when he walked into her, so that they barely know each other. And then this seems as if she knows him for a longer time.
Extremist_Line

Post by Extremist_Line »

Morph wrote:I had the impression that they just met the first day when he walked into her, so that they barely know each other. And then this seems as if she knows him for a longer time.
Although I'm not certain, I'm pretty sure there is a time skip between chapters 1 and 2. It's quite possible that Seth and Lilly had minor interactions during that time. He does have a point though, Lilly seems awfully...oh, what's a good term for it...affectionate? Accepting? ...Something, for having just met him.

Anyways, another good chapter. I really like the backstory you gave this character. You still haven't covered his seizure history much, which is something you might want to consider doing.

You really do need to let me proofread these again though. Oh, and this is random but you need to bold the titles of the other two chapters if you're gonna bold this one.
"Anyone can say they're your friend, few can prove it." -Me
Hanako >/= Lilly > Shizune > Emi > Rin
Currently:Finished all but Rin. Taking a break for now.
http://extremistline.deviantart.com/
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

A few points that require some serious suspension of disbelief:
- a seven year old teaching himself (!) Japanese.
- a twelve year old beating up his father.
- Lilly accepting a proposal like that after meeting him just once before.

Sore wa himitsu desu.