10th July, 1990

WORDS WORDS WORDS

cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

10th July, 1990

Post by cpl_crud »

10-July-1990

My dearest Hanako, happy 20th birthday.

I am writing this letter to you on the evening of your first birthday. As I type you are sleeping gently in your mother's arms; the two most beautiful girls in the world. I couldn't help myself, I took a polaroid and will keep it with this letter.

You will probably never remember today, so that is why I decided to write you this letter and post it to your adult self. I'm not sure if it will reach you, but I will try to keep it safe until then

As I stare at your sleeping face I find it hard to think that it will be a grown-up version of you reading this. Even now, after a year of growing, you're still so small. I can't picture what you will look like. Will you be beautiful like your mother? Will you be as tall as me? Taller? I'm almost too excited; I wish you were already grown up so I could see you.

Ah, but you are grown up now, aren't you? I wonder what our life together was like? I'm sorry if I have been hard on your boyfriends and an embarasment to you. But I guess by now you know me well enough to know I'm just a fool. Plus, it's a parent's job to embarrass their kids.

I'm letting myself get carried away. This letter is supposed to remind you of your past, not for me to see into the future.

Let's see.

I will admit that I didn't think I was ready to be a father. When your mother first told me the news I didn't know what to think. Thankfully my father (your Grandfather) knew what to say to me; he hit me in the head and said I'd be fine. And I was fine. You have changed my life in ways I never thought possible.

Of course, there have been some hard times. You were teething a month ago; crying all the time and obviosuly in pain, but that is over now. You've been crawling for some time now and are almost able to walk on your own; a moment that I secretly dread. When you take that first step I will be both celebrating your achievements and lamenting the fact that you are starting on a road to becoming an independent girl who no longer needs her foolish Dad.

I hope this letter finds you in good health. It's kinda strange; the "me" writing this and the "you" reading it are almost the same age.. In fact, you'll be the same age as your mother when we first met... Of course, that will be nearly a generation ago; I can't even imagine what that will feel like.

Oh... it looks like you've woken up, and it's my turn to nurse you back to sleep. I guess that this is goodbye then.

Thank you Hanako, for changing my life. And happy 20th birthday! I guess we can finally share a drink now.

Love, Dad

My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
hasteroth

Re: 10th July, 1990

Post by hasteroth »

Happy Birthday Hanako.
ROFLWAFFLE!

Post by ROFLWAFFLE! »

Happy Birsuday, Hanako.
This letter made me feel warm. :D
Kinda like Mizuki's Ending in Yume Miru Kusuri.
"Michael Jackson ain't dead, he's just hiding somewhere in South America with Elvis n' 2pac."
Deimos

Post by Deimos »

This work is a type of bittersweet cliché and a powerful one I have to admit. It made me feel even more melancholic.

minor typo
cpl_crud wrote: embarasment
And I think one of the first sentences was not punctuated properly at the end.

A nice and short product you made.
Ahh, Morticia? I would die for her. I would kill for her. Either way, what bliss.
UnKreativ

Post by UnKreativ »

cpl_crud wrote: [...] As I type you are sleeping gently in your mother's arms; [...]
Wouldn't you write something like that by hand?

Other than that it has really a nice melancholic atmosphere. The picture is great, too.
"The end of the world as we know it. Like weekends usually are, but more dire. Much more dire."
- Rin Tezuka
U.T. Raptor

Post by U.T. Raptor »

:cry:
Attachments
1245455631602.jpg
1245455631602.jpg (26.27 KiB) Viewed 13832 times
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

Say it with me now: D'awwwww.
Duo2Cuo

Post by Duo2Cuo »

D'awwwwing at the speed of love
Snicket

Post by Snicket »

Ah that was nice *sniff* Oh don't mind me i just got something in my eye.
The Commissar

Post by The Commissar »

"I'm fine. I have something in my eye, that's all. [sobs] ...I have something in my other eye. [sobbing] I have something in my heart..."
Resident "morale officer".
Vertical

Post by Vertical »

[unconvincing]What are you guys talking about? It's just... raining.... sawdust... and vinegar... *BAWLS*[/unconvincing]

That was a beautiful short. Too bad you didn't save it for the game.

Weeee's art is awesome as always too.
Imagine me and you...
hasteroth

Post by hasteroth »

Blue123

Post by Blue123 »

Beautiful.
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

Oh wow. That was pretty touching.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
EmP|ty

Post by EmP|ty »

;_;

Just beautiful.