KS Shorts

WORDS WORDS WORDS

neumanproductions

Re: KS Shorts

Post by neumanproductions »

Don't rush yourself Snicket. You're still more reliable than me when it comes to posting stuff. :lol:
Rin=Hanako>Emi>Misha>Lilly>Shizune (Misha counts in my world alright; and now she surpassed Lilly)
Fanfic series entitled... A Day in the Life of [character name here] (updated 6/8/10)
Random writings and Crossover... New stuff of Neuman (updated 5/6/11)
It's time to Duel... KS Yugioh Deck (updated 3/16/11)
Wren

Post by Wren »

Take your time, it is what I am doing now with my stories. Just go at the pace you need, in the end the outcome will be great with your stories :).
"They leave. Because they should, or they find someone else. And some of them...some of them, forget me. I suppose in the end....they break my heart." - Tenth Doctor talking about his companions.

BG Artist - Somnova Studios - Missing Stars Project
Mag

Post by Mag »

Wren wrote:Take your time, it is what I am doing now with my stories. Just go at the pace you need, in the end the outcome will be great with your stories :).
Agree 100%.
Leotrak

Post by Leotrak »

neumanproductions wrote:Don't rush yourself Snicket. You're still more reliable than me when it comes to posting stuff. :lol:
Seconded :P
not that I'm any better lately -_-"
"ice-cream-flavoured ice-cream" -Rin
"oh moe is me" -me
Numbered Days, my first piece of fanfic
Leotrak's Library, my other depository of written stuffs
Before: Hanako>/=Emi>Rin>Lilly>Shizune
After: Emi>Rin>Hanako>Lilly>>>>>>>>>>>Shizune
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Just finished reading your "shorts". Most of them are quite good, some are only so so and the last one has the potential to be excellent. My favourite so far is "Misinterpretation" :roll:
A tip regarding your spelling and grammar: you did really improve since the beginning of the thread. Almost no simple typos or incomplete sentences anymore. I don't know if you still have your stories proofread, but there is one problem you should work on: Homophones.
Choosing the wrong one makes for a confusing read and can have funny consequences at times, like when Yuuko sends Hisao "three isles (=islands) down" to find the SciFi section. (You were going for "aisle" (=path, corridor) here.)
Other examples you used in your latest fic:
to reveal (=to disclose, to uncover) <=> to revile (=to verbally attack sb)
waist (=a part of the body) <=> waste (=a desolate region)
and of course the usual stuff (there <=> they're <=> their) or (your <=> you're)

I assume you do use a spell-checker, since you almost never go for a word that doesn't actually exist ;-)
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Snicket

Post by Snicket »

Sup folks Snicket here once again to brighten your day.

Here is another 'short' for you guys. When i was writing this, i came across a few things that i thought are worth mentioning. One being that there already is a character in class 3-3 named Nasumi; though that's not the weirdest thing i found. Aparently there is a Ero game out there with a character named Natsumi Wakana. Except it's characters name ends in an 'e' rather then 'i'.

Anyway here is a new short for you folks. This will be the last 'day by day' short i do for this character. Since things are going by rather slow at this rate i would like to have the story progress a little faster. So just keep that in mind.

-Enjoy

Peg legs and side kicks

The halls buzz with activity as I make my way towards the locker rooms. I now carry a small gym bag filled with an assorted amount of clothes I’ll need for PE.

I arrive at the locker room; now busy with students as they conversant and get ready for class. Finding an empty bench I set the bag on top of it and start pulling out the contents inside.

I had spent most of yesterdays’ class gathering most of this together, so I had yet to look inside since it. So I’m a bit nervous of what’s inside or if any of it will fit.

Reaching in I pull out pink t-shirt.

‘Ok nothing odd so far.’

Then I remove……I let out a sigh as I pull out a pair of red bloomers.

‘Just my luck, I find one of the few schools that still forces girls to wear these in class. If I wear these, everyone is bound to find out why I’m here.’

As I let out another sigh, I set them on the bench. Then drop the bag on the flop. It makes a loud thud, as if something heavy is in there.

Picking up the bag, I discover another pocket, crammed with other PE clothes; including a pair of red jogging pants, with snaps going up the out side of each leg.

‘Yes.’

I grab the clothes and the gym bag and find an empty part of the locker room.

To my surprise, my fears of people finding out about my arm and leg were a bit exaggerated.

Except for a slight pigmentation difference of my skin to the artificial limbs, one couldn’t really tell. Unless there were really close up. But that doesn’t top me from still wearing the jogging pants. Though I also think these bloomers are too reveling.

As I exit the locker room and I make my way towards the other students, I'm relieved to see that I’m not the only one wearing the jogging pants.

‘Great, I was dreading being the odd one out.’

Though just as I let out a sigh of relief, I feel someone tap me on the shoulder and call out my name.

“Natsumi.”

I jump as I turn around and notice a young man standing behind me, wearing a blue track suit and a red baseball cap.

“Oh sorry, I didn’t mean to startle you.”

“It’s alright, you probably didn’t intend to.”

The man smiles and takes a takes a few steps towards me. “Still I’m sorry.”

Turning his baseball cap backwards, the man holds up a clip board and starts making random slashes on a piece of paper clipped to it.

“Alright I know you probably won’t like doing this, but I have to go through this with everyone.”

The man clears his throat. “Alright, since I haven’t got anything from Nurse about any life threatening condition, so I can only assume that what ever reason you’re here; Wouldn’t prevent you from enjoying this class and getting as much out of is as you can.”

‘I hate this part, now I have to answer a bunch of questions on my condition.’

“Ok rather then ask you a bunch of questions on things I can get from Nurse, I’m just going to ask you this one question.”

‘Here is comes, it’s…..wait what?’

I give the man a puzzled look, which causes him to laugh. “Don’t worry this is an easy one, there isn’t really a right or wrong answer.”

“Alright go ahead.”

Suddenly the man gives me a serious look. “Is there anything that you aren’t able to do, for what ever reason that may be in this class?”

I attempt to keep my previous expression, but still manage to give man a serious look of my own. “Swim.”
The man gives me an odd look. “Is it that you don’t know how to swim or that you literally can’t swim or some reason?”

“The second one.”

“Hm I see, well then that’s kind of a shame. We were going to start a swimming unit in a couple of weeks. I guess you can just head down to the weight rooms and hang out there till we switch to something else. How does that sound?”

The mention of a weight room seems to excite me a bit; I had always had to go off campus at my old school to work out. But now it seems this place there own.

I smile at the man. “That sounds fine.”

“Alright sounds like a plan.”

Suddenly the teacher pulls out a small whistle and blows into it; causing the other students to gather around him.

“Alright class, we have a student joining us today. Everyone give Natsumi a warm welcome to our class.”

I receive the generic, monotone ‘welcome to our classes’ that I’ve received in my other ones and as usual, some of the students are whispering to one another.

The man frowns. “Now that’s not how we welcome someone, try it again.”

Despite the man’s mention of his dislike of the unenthusiastic welcome I received, the class delivers a slightly louder welcome; with a few of the students almost screaming to make up for the ones barley talking.

“Alright, if that’s how you’re going to welcome our new student; then how about we do a power drill?”

The class lets out an annoyed groan as he says this. “Well it’s your own fault. Now everyone, get to the starting line.”

A series of grunts and groans come form the class as they make there way to the starting line.

‘What’s a power drill?’

Just as I contemplate asking the man what this is, a tall girl with straight long brown hair walks up to us.

“Teach you’re not going to make run too are ya? I have a track meet tonight and…”

The man cuts the girl off. “You’re just as guilty as everyone else.”

She lets out an annoyed groan and starts heading towards the track. “Hey wait a minute; I’ll make you a deal.”

The girl stops and turns towards the teacher.” What?”

“If you can beat the new girl in the power drill, I’ll let you head out early. But if the new girl wins, then you have to stay and everyone else gets to go.”

‘Hey wait a minute here.’

“Uh excuse me, but…”

“Hold on Natsumi, were talking here.”

“Do we have a deal?” The man says holding out his hand to the girl.

“Deal!” The girl says with a grin as she shakes his hand.

‘Great, how did I wind up this mess?’

Just as I turn to talk to the man, he starts heading towards the track.

“Hey hold on sec.” I say to the now empty area.

Catching up to the teacher, the girl and the other students; I notice that everyone that was wearing track pants has now started removing them and setting in numerous places around the track.

“You might want to take yours off too; those things are hard to run in, once you break a sweat.”

I turn and see the girl that was talking to the coach, standing next to me.

“What exactly is going on here?” I say trying not to sound annoyed.”

“Basically, we’re going to be doing a sprint around the track, going at top speed.”

‘That doesn’t sound too bad.’

“Only the thing is, we have to do it in a set time and its two laps. Those who fail to do this, have to run an additional lap.”

‘Ok that sounds really stupid.’

“Any questions?”

I open my mouth to say something, but the man cuts me off as I try to speak.

“Alright everyone, first we’re going to have the new girl face of against Miu.”

Everyone erupts in an uproar. “Wait a minute, that wasn’t part of our arrangement!” The girl shouts at the man.

“I have altered the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further.”

‘What now you’re going to quote Star Wars?’

“Sweet, this is going to be easy.”

‘Great, now everyone is going hate me before I even make an impression.’

I glance at my opponent. ‘How am I supposed to win against a member of the track team?’

As I dread my definite out come, another girl taps me on the shoulder. “You might want to stretch a bit before doing this.”

I nod. “Thank you for the advice.”

“No problem that was for free, but what I’m about to tell you is going to cost you should you now follow it.”

“Ok.”

“We’re counting on you to win, Nasumi. You lose and I don’t know what will happen.”

‘Uh thanks for the advice.’

The girl gives me a quick nod and disappears into the crowd.

‘Great, can things get any worse?’

As I make my way to the track, Miu walks up to my side and taps me on the shoulder. “Don’t let them get to you; There just a bunch of lazy bums that don’t want to anything in this class.”
“At most they’ll just give you a funny look for a few days and then forget about it.”

“I see.”

“Yeah I don’t know why teach is doing this. Probably just got bored and wanted to a prick as usual.”

Miu lets out a sigh and hunches forward. “Now he’s making me face off against the new kid, as if we’re rivals or something.”

“Why would he do that?”

“I have no idea…uh…..”

“Natsumi.”

“Natsumi, yeah I have no idea why teach is doing something like this.”

The girl straightens out and continues towards the track. “Let’s get this over with.”

I follow behind and meet up with Miu at the starting line.

After doing a few brief stretches, (I stretch my false arm and legs, so as not to draw any unwanted attention myself.) we prepare for this idiotic challenge.

With the class now gather around the out skirts of the track, the teacher walks to the edge of the starting line. I take a quick glance around and notice that there are a few other PE classes out side; one right by the track, doing some weird stretch thing.

‘I wish I was anywhere but here right now.’

“You know, it’s going to be hard to run in those.” The girl next to me says pointing at my jogging pants.

I smile. “Thank you for your concern, but I’ll be fine.”

“Alright, can’t say I didn’t warn you.”

‘Maybe she does have a point, but I can’t take these things off completely....Wait that’s it!’

I unsnap a few of the buttons on the side of the pants, rolling them up to my knee.

“Hm clever, but those are going fall when…”
Before the girl can finish, the man cuts her off. Alright the rules are simple; two laps winner is who ever finishes first. If it’s Miu she gets to leave right. Though if it’s the new kid, then everyone gets to leave; except Miu, she has to stay. Any questions?”

We both shake our heads. “Alright then; on your marks…get set…go!”

Both of take off at full speed from the starting line, Miu gets an early lead on me and increases the gap as we round the first corner.

*THUMP, THUMP, THUMP*

The sound of my left leg making contact with the track causes me to slow down a bit, so as not to make a much noise. Only increasing the lead Miu has on me. Soon she’s a good quarter several yards away from me.

‘So you’re going to lose over something like this, Jeez Nasumi are you pathetic.’

The thought of being called a quitter on my first day of class doesn’t sit well with me.

‘Aw, the hell it! I came here to be accepted not alienated’

With that I start running along the track at top speed, significantly shorting the gap that Miu had over me.

“What happened, you finally decide to take this seriously?”

“You could say something like that.” I say running along side the girl.

“Well then I guess I will too.”

Suddenly the girl starts in pull ahead.

‘Oh, no you don’t.’

I match her speed and we round the final corner and finish the first lap.

The girl turns to me and smiles. “Ha at last a challenge, you gonna be able to keep up this pace for another lap?”

“I’m not the one you should be worrying about.”

“What is that suppose to mean?” Miu says turning forward.

As we round the first turn I start to pull ahead.

“What the how…” The girl’s words are cut off as falls behind.

Despite my best efforts this run is starting to take it toll on my mechanical limbs. I can feel them start not wanting to cooperate as I increase my speed. I’ve never done anything like this, since receiving these. Though never being advised not to do something like this, I doubt that the people, who made these ever thought I’d be doing something like this.

‘It still seems odd that despite probably weighing a great deal more then this girl, (with these artificial appendages) that I’d be able to keep up with her more of less pull ahead. Something is going on here and I don’t like it.’

Continuing down the track at top speed, I round the last turn of the final lap. As I do this, I notice the twin tailed girl that I met a while back. Staring at me with a look on her face as if she can’t believe what’s she’s seeing.

Hitting the final stretch, I charge down the last straight away and cross the finish line; With Miu arriving a few moments after.

As I stop to catch my breath, I notice that everyone is staring at me with there mouths hanging open.

“D-Did the new girl just beat Miu?” Someone says in the crowd of bewildered students.

“Yeah she did, how the hell did that happen?” Another student says.

“I think the race of fixed.”

“Yeah it had to of been.”

Everyone starts to shout things at me as they approach me, calling me a cheater and saying the whole thing was fake. Despite them now free to leave since I won.

Suddenly Miu steps between me and crowd. “Enough!”

Everyone instantly goes quiet.

“Natasumi won fare and square.”

“Then how did she win, you’re on the track team and she…”

“…is a better runner. Now leave! Nasumi won.” Miu says cutting the student off.

After hearing this, the mod of students start to disburse and head either towards the locker room or the dorms; leaving Miu, myself and the teacher behind.

“Jeez I’ve never seen them so worked up about something before.” The man says walking towards us.
“You knew something like would happen, didn’t you!” Miu shouts as she charges towards the man.

“N-No I swear. I was just trying to get to like the new kid.”

Miu frowns. “How did know that the Nasumi would win.”

The man suddenly smiles. “I know there isn’t a track meet tonight, you just didn’t to do anything because…”

Miu suddenly blushes as she places her hand over the man mouth, stopping him from talking.

“Are you ever going to let that go? Every time you say it’s because of that.”

“Like what?” I say trying stepping towards the two.

“N-Nothing, it’s not important.”

“HHHMMMMHHHMM!”

Miu suddenly pulls back her hand. “Eww you didn’t have to do that.”

The man laughs. “Sorry, but I couldn’t breath. Anyway, you two have had enough excitement. Why don’t we call it a day?”

“Yeah that would probably be best.” Miu says still slightly blushing.

‘Why is she still blushing?’

“Well then, I’ll see you later.”

The two depart in opposite directions, leaving me standing on the empty track. I do the same and return to locker room. Shower, change and head off towards the girls’ dorms.

Returning to my room, I empty the soiled pieces of clothing form my gym bad into my dirty clothes basket and close the lid.

Then I grab a CD from its case, insert it into the stereo and press play.

About half way through the CD I popped in has played, there is a knock at the door. It’s light and sounds like the person is trying to see if I’m home not knock down the door like some people.

Upon hearing this, I sit up and grab the remote to my stereo and turn the volume down.

“Yes, who is it?”

“I hope I’m not disturbing you Ms. Natsumi.” It’s Lilly’s voice.

“No, not at all. Can a help you with something?” I say sliding off my bed and walking towards the door.

“Actually I was wondering if I could talk to you for a second.”

As I open the door, I notice that Lilly and Hanako are standing on the other side of the door. Hanako jumps as I unlatch the chain and open the door further.

“Sure what is it?” I say opening the completely.

“Well Hanako and I were talking…..”

’Great I see where this is going.’

“…..and we thought we should show you around town.”

‘Yeah I still have trouble finding all my classes.’

“Thank you, I would appreciate it.”

“It’s no problem at all, Natsumi.”

Well I can honestly say that I’m surprised. I thought the out come was going to be something else. Then again that’s what I et for jumping to conclusions.

We part from the dorms and eventually the school grounds. As we reach the long road towards town, I notice that my leg isn’t making as much noise as it once did; though it seems a bit tougher to operate and doesn’t extent completely.

’I guess that joint came out of whack from the run earlier.’

As we continue towards down, I watch the golden haired girl navigate the journey with her cane, while still being maintaining her elegance and grace.

We arrive at the mysterious town, only after about 15 minutes of walking. It’s a little surprising that this place isn’t filled with Yamaku students, give how close it is. Then again some may not be able to make it down here with out help or aren’t comfortable leaving there ‘safe zone.’ What ever the case it, this place is void of any students….well accept for us.

Traveling down what I assume is the main road of the small town, I notice many of the same small shops and dinners that I saw when I first arrived. Though the place we do end up arriving to isn’t one I’m familiar with.

We stop by this small convenience store with a familiar color scheme that I’ve seen may places before, but rather then it being one of those. A sigh reads ‘Aura Mart’ in all uppercase English font, though the Japanese part above the door reads 7-Eleven.

‘So what is it, Aura Mart or 7-Eleven?’

I decide not to say anything and grab a red basket as I step inside.

The small shop is filled with the usual ‘convenience’ items; pre packaged this, just add water to that, etc. I glance around the small store and find Lilly and Hanako in one of the aisles near the front.

‘Hanako is probably helping Lilly with her shopping.’

Seeing this, I take my basket and scope the store out for things I need/ want to buy.

With the small basket filled with numerous from the store, I make my way towards the front of the store. It’s just then I over hear part of a conversation that Hanako and Lilly are having.

“Now I think you’re just jumping to conclusions, Hanako.”

“M-maybe I am, b-but then why has Hisao been acting that way?”

“I dunno, maybe he knows what’s it’s like to be a new student and wanted to make things less awkward for her.”
“Yes, but he grabber her hand and…

Some one in the store slams one of the freezer doors, causing everyone to jump and me to knock a few items off a shelf. I instantly duck down and act as if I’m picking up the fallen items.

“Natsumi?” A voice says on the other side of the aisle.

“Yeah.” I say as I poke my head up.

’Great now there going to ask if I was eves dropping.’

“Did you get startled too?”

“Yeah I did.”

’Phew!’

Gathering a few small items as I near the register, I pay for everything and meet Lilly and Hanako outside.

“Now here comes to fun part. Now we have to carry all this stuff home.” Lilly says with a smile.

I glance up the horizon and see the school building off in the distance.

’Yay’

The voyage home seems to take longer then the one to town. It could be that we’re now traveling up hill or maybe it’s the tons of stuff that has to now be lugged up it.

We arrive at the dorms just as the sun is starting to set in the horizon. I guess it took longer to get to town and back then I thought.

“Well thank you for your help and…”

Lilly cuts me off. “Oh my, I completely forgot that we were going to give you a tour of the town today. I guess I was more worried about getting some groceries before the store closed.” The girl says with a nervous laugh.

“W-Well theirs always next time.”

“Indeed.”

“Alright then, next time we head to town. We’ll make sure to invite you and give you a proper tour.”

“Thank you.”

We say our good buys and depart to our rooms, I unload my bounty and fill the small fridge in my room with the all the items that I bought that need to stay cool; while stacking the other items on top of it.

I may have not gotten the tour that was offered to me, but I did learn something useful none the same.

[To be continued]
Last edited by Snicket on Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
kosherbacon

Post by kosherbacon »

Hey, it looks like your italic tag went awry when Natsumi leaves the track and talks to the coach.
Mag

Post by Mag »

Good story. Never thought that Natsumi could run. Figured that the leg would slowly fall apart or something but it seemed more durable than i assumed. Fooled me. But I wonder what the girl was going to do if she didnt have a track meet.

A few mistakes with spelling and wrong words here and there but an improvement from your past work nonetheless.

I knew Hisao is interested in Natsumi. Lilly did bring up a theory that defends Hisao quite well but the suspicion is still there. Waiting patiently for what's to come Snicket.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

I agree: definitely an improvement. Still a few typos or missing words and:
What ever the case it, this place is (de)void of any students….well except for us.
“W-Well there's always next time.”
I wonder if Emi is going to recruit her for the track team and if her leg is going to hold up to that kind of abuse...

About keeping her prosthetics a secret:
In the boy's dorms each set of four rooms has their own private showers.
As Natsumi has met at least half a dozen different girls in the shower so far, in your story the girl's showers seem to be communal. In that case, keeping her secret will probably not work for very long. At least two classmates as well as Emi and Rin already know about them, and I can't imagine Rin being discreet about anything...

griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Snicket

Post by Snicket »

@Mag,

Well Natsumi isn't exactly what you'd call an average girl. (I hinted towards that earlier on) Also her 'legs' durability was also hinted at in this short. But i don't want to give too much away.

@Mirage_GSM,

I'm working on it, English isn't exactly my first language, so i tend to miss a few things here and there.
kosherbacon

Post by kosherbacon »

I find Miu interesting. Does she have any disability?
Mag

Post by Mag »

Snicket wrote:@Mag,

Well Natsumi isn't exactly what you'd call an average girl. (I hinted towards that earlier on) Also her 'legs' durability was also hinted at in this short. But i don't want to give too much away.
I remember reading about her not being an average girl. It seems her legs are capable of doing some crazy things. I wouldn't want you to give away too much. I'll read it in your stories when you post them. Look forward to it.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Snicket wrote: @Mirage_GSM,

I'm working on it, English isn't exactly my first language, so i tend to miss a few things here and there.
No problem, that's why I point out the homophone mistakes. I think those are easiest to learn to avoid once you know the words. Typos or missing words happen to anyone.
Though if you want another proofreader, just send me your stories. I'll be happy to help out ;-)

Sore wa himitsu desu.
Snicket

Post by Snicket »

-Some time after-

It’s been a couple of weeks since I transferred to Yamaku. Since then I’ve some how gained a sort of popularity, fame if you will in the short time I’ve been here. It has gotten to the point that some of the other students greet me in the halls during passing time or finding my shoe locker filled with confession notes from various students. I’ve found that some have left several copies of there notes in the locker, as if it’s some sort of raffle where their odds would increase if they submit more then one note.

Despite my popularity, I’ve discovered that some students, for some reason, don’t seem to care for my sudden fame. They refer to me as ‘princess’ in conversation, not to my face, but rather in places that they think are private and act like a ‘fan’ when in my presence. Honestly I don’t expect everyone to be a fan, but I would like to know why some seem to have a grudge against me.

It comes as no surprise that this popularity is partly do to my actions a few weeks prior. Apparently out running one of the fastest members of the track team has gotten people's attention, though I don’t know what rank Miu ‘was’ at compared to the fastest member. It was an action I regretted at first shortly after the event. Knowing that I went against the very thing that I struggled so much to live up to and discarding it so quickly didn’t sit well with me.

The thought passed after realizing that I tried so hard to achieve such a standard was because I was trying to get the attention of my parents who can’t even pry them selves away from work long enough to say more then a few words to their daughter. Even then, it occurred to me that I wasn’t being my true self, rather a false representation of who I really was. Despite this however, I still don’t think others will accept the true me. So for now I’ll wear this mask for a little while longer.

Since that day on the track, I’ve been either plagued with challenges from my fellow classmates, or have been stuck participating in all the other class events. All of which resulted in serious strain on my left leg. This marvel of science was not meant for this kind of use but rather something for an individual to use so as not to be confined to a wheelchair or other devices to help them move around.

As a result, I have to make adjustments and realign certain parts almost daily, leaving me to count down the days until the class starts their swimming unit. This will give me time to see if there is a way to prevent this from wearing out as fast, or at the very least get the necessary parts to do so. Though, because of the constant maintenance I’ve performed, I’ve somehow quieted the mechanical sound that my leg once made.

A few things have happened in homeroom. My ‘temporary’ seat is now my permanent one, since the individual that occupied it before me has left Yamaku do to some undisclosed reason. Also I’ve learned that the girl who sits next to me is named Ritsu. She apparently is in some music club, but I haven’t taken the time to find out what instrument she plays nor if she or her other band mates are any good. Also I’ve also learned that I seem to share the name of a fellow classmate. I still find it a little funny that someone else shares my name.

During this time, I also learned that there seems to be some sort of feud between Lilly and Shizune. I still haven’t figured out the reason why, but they both seem to ‘go for the throat’ whenever they are in proximity of one another.

I seem to have gotten involved in some sort of competition for one certain boy’s affection. I Discovering this through the conversations I’ve heard in halls during passing. Apparently between myself and a few other individuals, some of whom I know. Though I doubt the person who battle is over even knows that it’s going on, I can’t bring myself to tell them. I don’t want to be a part of this thing anymore then anyone else does. So for now I’ll say quiet and not mention this to the person.

Today I start things off a little differently then I usually do. Rather the awoken by the blaring sound of infernal alarm clock. I opted to set the timer on my stereo to awaken with the sounds of music, rather then the buzz of an alarm, which thus far as worked out nicely. Starting the day with the instrumentals of some classic rock, I gather my usual assortment supplies and head off to the bathroom to start the day.

Over the passing weeks, I somehow always manage to find an empty shower stall upon my arrival. I don’t know if I’ve just been fortunate thus far, or something. When I first arrived here, I’ve become accustomed to waiting, sometimes almost an hour, for a shower stall to open.

After finishing my morning routine, I gather my books and supplies, then head off to class. Despite how much time has passed, the venture to class always seems the same. Having to watch for other students walking the wrong direction or swinging a cane around has somehow become routine for me. Dodging the daily obstacles of the halls I arrive at the classroom a few minutes before the warning bell.

When I swing the door open, I’m given a very enthusiastic greeting.

“Nacchan! Good morning!” a very hyper drill girl says to me as I step into the class room.

“Good morning Misha.”

For some unexplained reason, Misha has started addressing in this fashion for several days now. Apparently she gives everyone the ‘icchan’ nickname, using the first syllable of their name in the beginning.

*Good morning Natsumi,* the ‘quiet’ member of the group signs to me as I walk past her.

*Good morning, Shizune.*

As I walk past the other glassy eyed students, I take my seat near the window at the back of the class room.

When I start to unpack my books and other supplies, the abrupt slam of the sliding causes me to stop and draw my attention towards the source.

Turning towards the direction the noise came from, I notice Hisao standing on the other side of the door slumped forward with tired expression on his face. As he walks to his desk in a zombie-like motion, he plops down and buries his face into the folded arms resting on the desk.

“Hicchan, you ok?”

“...”

“You don’t look so good.”

The boy lets out a mumble and further buries his head into his arms.

‘Something is up.’

I set my half unpacked book bag on my desk and walk towards the boy.

Kneeling down, I pat Hisao on the back to get his attention. “Are you feeling alright Hisao?”

“That damn girl, making me her pet project; forcing me to run that much so early in the morning.”

‘Pet project? Wait! It can’t be.’

“Would this girl happen to have pig tails and leg blades?”

Hisao rolls his head to right and glances up at me. “Sometimes... You know Emi?”

“Well we spoke once, briefly.”

“I take it she mentioned me during this conversation?”

“Not directly, but her friend referred to you as such.”

Hisao turns his head and buries his face into his arms again. “So I’ve become her little experiment? Waiting to see how long it takes me to break?”

“Come now Hisao, I doubt that what she is intending to do.”

The boy turns to me again. “Come to the track and see for yourself.”

Before I can say anything, Hisao buries his face into his arms again and seems to have drifted off some what.

“Ah Hicchan is just tired,” a voice says to my right.

“Hm?” I mutter as I turn towards the drill girl.

“He gets like this from time to time, just let him be. Wahahahaha~!”

Misha’s abrupt laugh doesn’t seem to affect the sleeping Hisao behind me.

As the five minute and eventually final bells ring, I return to my seat and focus on the lesson. Hisao does eventually arise from his slumber, but only after Muto shakes him awake halfway through the lesson. I can’t help feeling a little sorry for him a little bit. Even though whatever Emi is doing may be helping him, there has to been a better way to do it. Then again, I have no idea why he’s here to begin with.

As the day progresses, the ‘Three Musketeers’ work in their assignment, while Ritsu and myself work on it together.

When the lunch break bell rings, the class jumps from their seats and all try to push there way though the door. Only a few students wait out the rush, including myself. Seeing that the halls have now cleared, I gather my things and make way towards the door; only to be stopped by a ‘chuckles’ and her silent-silent partner.

“Hey Nacchan, have any plans for lunch?”

“Not at the moment. Why?”

The drill girl smiles. “We were wondering if you would like to have lunch with us.”

“Sure.”

‘I suddenly get this strange feeling that I should have said no.’

I follow the two to what I assume is the cafeteria, only to be led off the school grounds and on the road towards town. Walking several feet in front of me, Misha is almost skipping as she hums some familiar tune. Shizune walks in her usual fashion and looks back every so often as if to make sure I’m still following her.

I wait till she turns around again and flash a few hand signs at her while saying what I signed out loud for the other member of the group.

“Where are we going?” I ask, signing as I say this.

*It’s a surprise.*

“We’ll never tell. Wahahahaha~!”

Hearing this gives me a sudden urge to make a break for the school, but I decide to continue following the two once we get to the outskirts of town.

As we enter the small town, I instantly notice how busy it is despite its size. People crowd the sidewalks and gather around street corners, waiting for the light to change and allow them to cross the street. Cars, trucks, and a few motorcycles clog the streets in a fashion that I’ve only seen in major cites.

Misha suddenly lets out a sigh. “Looks like we picked a bad day to head into town.”

“Why is that?”

“I think there’s some event or game going on later tonight, so everyone’s in a frenzy to get things done before it starts.”

“I see.”

“I wonder if we’ll still be able to get in-”

Before I can ask ‘into where,’ the two girls stop at old looking building with a sign reading ‘Shanghai’ above it.

“This is it. Hopefully we can get a table,” the drill girl squeaks as she makes a dash for the door.

Shizune turns to me, smiles and flashes a few hand signs at me.

*C’mon, let go before she scares the hostess.*

I nod and follow her inside the restaurant.

‘I wonder what she meant by that?’

Entering the restaurant behind Shizune, I notice Misha talking to woman wearing a frilly looking apron with two little puff things on her head. As I walk closer, I manage to hear what the two are talking about.

“C’mon Yuuko, we’re your most valued customers.”

“I-I know, but I simply can’t give you a table when none are open.”

“How about a booth, can’t we have one of those?”

“S-sorry, we don’t have any of those either.”

Misha suddenly crosses her arms and puffs out her cheeks. “Hmph! How are we supposed to show Nacchan one of the best restaurants in town if we can’t get a table?”

‘Best restaurant in town? There’s no way that hostess will fall for something like that.’

“B-best i-in town?” the nervous waitress says apparently holding back something.

‘You’ve got to be kidding me.’

“I-I’ll s-see what i-I can do. For now, how about you take a seat here?” the woman says pointing to a small bench by the front door.

Just as Misha starts walking towards them, the woman darts off and disappears behind the restaurant décor.

Taking a seat on one of the benches, Misha pats an empty spot to her right and smiles while signaling me to come over with her free hand.

“Sit here Nacchan.”

I stand dumbstruck for a few seconds trying to figure out what just happened. It’s not until Misha asks me again that I start towards the bench.Taking a seat to Misha’s right, Shizune take other on the left and instantly shoots a sour look at Misha.

*What?*

*Don’t play dumb, you know what you did!*

*I worked didn’t it?*

*That doesn’t matter, you went too far this time.*

Misha frowns and leans forward. *I just wanted everyone to enjoy themselves.*

Shizune’s frown fades and is replaced with a sad expression. She taps Misha on the shoulder to get her attention.

*Hey I’m sorry I snapped, but...*

*Yeah, yeah, I know.*

With that the issue resolved with out any out bursts well verbal any way. Even if I wasn’t able to understand what those two were walking about, I still would have been able to figure out what’s going on, since both didn’t even attempt to hide what was going on.

Suddenly Misha perks up and turns towards me, with a big smile on her face. “Now then, let’s not sweat the little stuff and get our selves a table. Waahahahaaha~!”

Before I can ask her ‘how,’ the nervous hostess walks up to us holding a few menus.

“I-I got you three a t-table, but it wasn’t easy.”

Misha erupts from her seat and almost knocks the woman over as she charges towards her.

“Wow really?”

The woman nods.

“Yes!” Misha says pumping her fist into the air.

The bubbly drill girl turns to us with a big smile on her face. “C’mon we got a table.”

I turn to Shizune to inform her, but notice that she is already making her way towards Misha.

‘They must have some sort of mind link or something...Well that or she managed to figure it out watching Misha’s actions.’

Walking into the actually restaurant, the first thing I notice that it’s packed; like unbelievably packed. Extra chairs crowd around booths, some people even sharing chairs, and I even notice not person standing next to a table with a plate of food in their hand.

‘What the hell is going on here?’

After looking past this crowd, I notice that the place has a sort of ‘classic’ theme to it; something you’d see out some old film or documentary. It even has the old style wood paneling that you something see in those ‘nostalgia’ cafés.

Following the fumbling hostess, we’re brought to a rather large table by a large window.

‘Whoa.’

As we take our seats, the woman turns to us and removes a small note padfrom her apron.

“S-so what can I get you three to drink?”

‘Oh I get it, she’s also a waitress.’

“Shicchan and I will just have the usual; its Nacchan’s first time here. So it may take a minute. Wahahahaha~!”

“W-well p-please don’t take too long.”

Knowing that she probably had to something extreme to get us this table, I decide to mot keep her waiting and order something simple; rather then continuously browse the menu in front of me.

“I’ll just have the same thing they're having.” I say in a gentle tone.

“O-Ok I got it, I-I’ll be right back.”

The skittish waitress scurries off and disappears around a corner.

“How boring, I was hoping you’d decide something on your own.”

I peak up from my menu. “Hm?”

“Eh never mind, it’s done and over with.

As I return focus to the menu, the drill girl taps me on the shoulder. I look up to see a both girls looking at me.

“Order anything you want, it’s our treat today....eh wait except that one on the bottom of menu. It’s not that good and it’s rather expensive.”

I glance at the item in question and notice that’s something I’ve never heard of.

‘Well there goes my chance to order anything different.’

As times passes are beverages eventually come along with our food. I end up ordering some sort of pasta stuff and menu claims is spaghetti with marinara sauce, but ended up getting something that was closer to egg noodles and ketchup.

‘I know I shouldn’t complain about something that I’m being treated to, but c’mon, the hell?’

I end up saying nothing and chocking down the meal, while envying Misha’s and Shizunes’ orders off the ‘simpler’ part of the menu. After ingesting the pathetic pasta with plenty of garlic bread, I turn to the other two. They have already finished there meal and wait patiently for me to finish.

‘Jeez those two eat fast.’

“I guess we should have warned you about the spaghetti.” Misha leans in closer looks to each side as if making sure no one is watching, and then places her hand next to her mouth. “It comes from a can. Wahahahaha~!” The girl says half whispering, only to burst out laughing at the end of her sentence.

Shortly after finishing our meal and our comments on its quality, the fumbling waitress returns with the check. I offer to pay for my meal, but the two insist that they cover it, since they invited me and because it wasn’t that good. As the table is cleared of plates and cups, the drill girl turns to me and folds her hands together while placing them on the table.

“Now then, on to business, Shicchan and I were wondering if you..oph! “

The girl is cut off as Shizune elbows her into the side and flashes a few hand signs at her.

*What are you doing?*

*You know exactly what I’m doing. Why did you elbow me?*

*It’s not time yet!*

I clear my throat. “Time for what?” I sign, so Shizune can understand me.

The two girl’s faces go completely pale, they must have forgotten that I know sign language and can understand their conversation.

“Nothing, nothing, we were going to ask you something, but maybe it’s a bit too soon. Wahahahaha~!”

The girl’s forced laugh doesn’t fool me and I don’t even try to pretend to buy it.

“There’s a time and place for everything, I guess this is neither of them,” the drill girl says in her usual chipper tone followed by a nervous laugh.

With the passing of time, we say much as the minutes pass. It’s not till the waitress comes to our table and informs us of what time it is that we notice and start towards the school.

Making the voyage up the hill, it seems that Misha is wondering about what Shizune was planning on asking. Apparently it was something important.

Approaching the school, I notice that there is a large group of kids standing in the main courtyard in front of the school. Upon walking closer I notice that there are a few firetrucks are parked near by with the lights still flashing.

I walk up to girl in the crowd and talk to them.

“What’s going on here?”

“I dunno, the fire alarm just sounded and we all evacuated the school.”

The girl turns to me and places her hand to the side of her mouth. “I think someone just pulled the alarm.”

I turn to Misha and Shizune and relay the information.

Time passes. I can’t really say how much, but it’s at least a few hours, since the sun has changed position. Eventually the firetrucks leave and everyone starts returning to class. Just as enter the building, a PA announcement tells us that remaining classes are canceled for the day, due to the ‘mishap’ that occurred after lunch break, giving everyone an early release day. Though due to the long wait, we end up only getting out 20 minutes early.

I, like many of the other students, return to the dorms and tackled the mound of homework that’s due tomorrow.

The next day

The sound of a nasal disk jockey wakes from my pleasant slumber. Glancing at my clock, I make an annoyed grunt and roll on to my back.

“Why am I up so early?” I say out loud as I pick up the remote and turn the radio off.

“Oh yeah,” I mutter hunching forward on my bed.

‘I had something to do this morning.’

Sliding off my bed, I slowly rise to my feet and start heading towards the closet. As I walk past my desk and dresser, I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror.

‘Geez I look like crap,’ I muse as push a lock of hair out of my face.

Glancing at the stack of finished homework, I let out sigh and drop my arms.

‘Maybe I shouldn’t have worked on all last night. Hell, some of it wasn’t even due till next week. Aw well.’

I set aside this matter and continue towards the closet, slide it open, and grab a clean uniform. Draping it over a chair, I start to grab other articles of clothing only to stop midway though and glance at the clock.

‘Is this really necessary? Do I need to do something like this...? Well probably not, but he did ask me to come and see for myself and I don’t want to come off as snooty for not taking him up on his offer.’

Coming to a resolution in this matter, I grab my clothes and head off to the bathroom. After my usual morning routine, I exit the dorms and head outside.

A light fog hangs in the air, the kind that you usually see around marshes and such. I step out into the cool morning air and make my may towards my destination. All while assuring myself that this is a good idea.

Cutting across the main court yard and through other various places, I come to my destination. It is a small fenced in area with a running track with a football field in the middle of it along other various spots for exercise and fitness training. I can’t help but let out a slight chuckle as I approach this area. Despite being here so many time before, it feels different somehow.

Walking around the fence, I find an open gate by a set of equipment sheds. I notice one of looks rather old and appear to not have been used for a while.

‘Is that lock cut?’

Continuing onward, I cut behind the sheds and a set of bleachers. I exit where the home team fans would sit if a game had been going on. As I step from behind the bleachers, I notice a certain individual making his way to a small wooden bench on inside of the track. More or less plopping down, the boy hunches over and rest his chin in his arms.

I take a few steps towards his back and greet him as I approach.

“Good morning, Hisao.”

The boy doesn’t seem to movie and gives me a mumbled ‘good morning, but then suddenly snaps his head back in my direction.

“N-Natsumi, w-what are you doing here?”

I take a few steps closer. “You asked me to stop by this morning,” I say with a slight smile.

The boy blushes slightly and turns forward and places his hand on the back of his head. “Did I now?” he says with a nervous laugh.

I take a few more steps towards the bench and stop just a few feet behind it. “Do you want me to leave?” I say in a sort of pouty voice.

Hisao looks up at me still blushing from before. “N-no I’m not saying that, rather I don’t remember asking you to come.” The boy fake laughs again. “I must have been pretty tired when I spoke with you yesterday.”

‘Ok that’s possible...I guess.’

Taking another few steps I sit on the empty part of the bench next to Hisao. I notice that he almost jumps as if nervous by my presence.

Turning to him, I smile. “Is it ok, if I sit here?”

The boys face turns completely red. “Y-yeah s-sure, no problem.”

‘I’m just glad that he’s sitting on the left side of the bench, rather the right. Or else I fear that he would notice ‘something wrong with my arm’ if he had made contact with it.

After sitting on the bench for a few moments, I can see why he would react in such a way. Despite what position I take on the bench, I’m always only a few inches form Hisao; causing me to start blushing as well.

‘Maybe this was a bad idea to come here.’

Though just as I turn to the boy and say something, the sound of something metallic fast approaches and stops my attempt at conversation.

“Eh? W-what are you doing here?” a squeaky voice says to the right of me.

I turn towards the source and notice a short girl wearing a gym uniform and sporting a pair of pig tails standing before me.

‘Oh great it’s her.’

Smiling I stand up and greet the girl. “Hello, how are you doing this..”

The girl cuts me off. “Skip it, answer the question.”

“And that would be?”

‘Jeez, there’s no need to act like such a brat.’

“Why are you here? No one asked you to come.”

“Actually Hisao asks me to come, Miss...uh..”

“It’s Emi.

“Miss Emi, my apologize for not knowing your name.”

“It’s alright, I never told you.” The girl seems to have calmed down a bit.

“But in case, is this true Hisao?” she says, snapping her head in the boy’s direction.

“It would appear so, I inadvertently asked Natsumi to visit me this morning,” the boy says with another nervous laugh.

‘I really wish he would have worded that better.’

The girl turns to me with a sour look on her face. “So you just thought you’d come by and hang out with Hisao this morning?”

‘Ok, maybe not.’

“Excuse me?”

“Oh don’t play dumb, you’re definitely up to something. Why else would you put on makeup and perfume?”

‘What the hell is she talking about? I always dress like this.’

The girl takes another few steps towards me and tries to look up at me, but only is tall enough to stare directly at my breasts.

“What ever you’re planning....”

A sudden stomping of feet from behind me stops the angry girl’s rant.

“Knock it off Emi, Natsumi isn’t planning anything.” His words come off as a bit harsh.

“Hisao, I-I..” the girl cuts herself off and lowers her head to the ground.

“If you’re going to get mad at someone, get mad at me. I invited her.”

‘Oh, bad move.’

The girl’s head shoots back up and glares at the boy. “You know what, you’re right. I should be mad at you.”

“Hey now, wait a minute.”

“Wait nothing; you’ve been standing here not doing a thing this whole time.” The girl points towards the empty track. “Four laps lets go.”

‘Four laps?’

“Now hold on just one second, there’s no need to punish Hisao for..”

The girl smiles. “You’re right, that’s not fair.”

Hisao lets out a sigh of relief.

“Race me.”

“Huh?” The boy grunts as I just look at the girl in shock.

Her eyes narrow. “You heard me, I challenge you to a race.”

‘Great, another challenge.’

“I want to see how well the girl who beat the second fastest member on the track team does against me.”

‘So she was second to this girl?’

The girl smiles, but keeps the same narrow eyed expression on her face. “The Fastest.”

‘I kind of figured.’

“So what do you say, Natsumi?”

‘I guess I don’t have much of a choice.’

“If racing you will resolve this current misunderstanding, then sure I’ll do it.” I say in my usual calm tone.

This seems to strike a cord in the pigtailed girl, since she cocks her head back and seems surprised by my answer.

“W-well what ever, l-lets get started.”

‘Try as you might, but I’ll never lower myself to your level.’

We approach the starting line of the track, stretch and get into our starting positions. I admit after thinking it over, I may have jumped the gun a bit on this one, though I really can’t go back on this now.

A very unenthusiastic Hisao approaches the starting line and raises his right hand.

“Alright on my signal, two laps. First one across the finish line wins.”

‘Would I kill him to be a little more enthusiastic, then again what the hell am I doing?’

“Read, set, And Go!” the boy's arm drops and Emi explodes down the track.

I stand there for a moment before realizing that I haven’t moved yet.

Charging down the track, I start to close the gap of the mini sprinter. Soon I’m about neck and neck with her at about the 3/4th mark of the first lap. But then I start pulling a head. It’s a fight for the lead at first, with both of us just narrowly getting ahead of the other, but soon I start to pull ahead enough to prevent the girl from catching up. Soon I’m a good 5-10 feet in front of her as I start my second lap. My joins burn and ache as drag my heavy left leg down the track.

‘I’m actually doing it.’ I muse to myself and smile as I hit the half way mark of the final lap. ‘Why was worried that...’ I’m cut from my thought as the twin tailed girl flies past me. Apparently, Emi was playing possum to some extent and let me think I had a lead over her.

“Oh, no you don’t,” I mutter to myself and I continue to charge down the track.

Despite charging at my opponent at top speed, I’m still unable to close the gap as we approach the finish line. Just as consider my loss, I hear a loud crash as I near the finish line.

I slow to a fast jog and stop a few feet from my now easy win. Looking back, I see the once enthusiastic (and kind of bitchy) twin tailed girl lying on her stomach 10-15 feet from the finish line. Deciding to be the bigger person in this dispute. I turn around and walk towards the girl. As I approach, I can hear Emi softly crying in to her arm as she struggles to her feet. I kneel down and hold out my hand to assist her.

“Emi.”

The girl looks up at me, with a face damp with tears and takes my hand. I help the girl her feet and attempt to dust off the red powder from her shirt.

“You ok?”

The girl nods and wipes her tear stained eyes on her sleeve. I smile and wipe one she missed with the side of my hand. The girl looks up at me to say something, but the sound of someone fast approaching causes us both to turn in the direction of the noise. It’s Hisao, charging at us at top speed with a towel draped over his shoulders. He stops a few feet from us and hunches over to catch his breath.

*Pant* *Pant* “you guy...” *pant* “You guys ok?”

“I’m ok, Hisao,” I say with a smile.

“Me too, but more importantly what are you doing?”

“Eh?” The boy looks up at Emi with a surprised expression on his face.

“Don’t go pushing yourself on my account, your h...” the girl stops mid sentence and looks over at me and then back at Hisao. “You're not in the best of health at the moment, you don’t need to push yourself.”

‘Why did she reword what she said?’

Emi suddenly takes the towel from Hisao and Wipes her face with it. “But thank you for worrying about me,” the girl says with a sugar smile.

“Y-yeah, don’t mention it,” Hisao says scratching the back of his head and turning away.

‘Oh Hisao, you don’t have to be so modest.’

“Now that that's settled,” Emi turns towards me and holds out her hand. “Thanks.”

I take her hand and shake it. “For what? I don’t understand.”

“For helping me and sorry for being so mean to you earlier.”

“No problem,” I say with a smile.

“No, it is a problem. I had no right to treat you that way.”

I retract my hand. “Well it’s all in the past now, so don’t worry about it.”

“Agreed.” Emi hold out her hand again. “Friends?”

“S-Sure,” I say while shaking her hand again.

“Great, but now...Hisao! the girl says turning towards the boy.

“Y-yes.”

“You still have to do your morning exercises.”

Hisao drops his arms. “I know.”

Emi claps her hands together. “Alright then good, you know the drill.”

The boy lets out a sigh. “Yeah I’ll get right on it.”

As Hisao Approaches the track, Emi turns to me with a big smile on her face. “I’ll see you later. I have to make sure Hisao does his morning exercises.”

I nod. “Well don’t let me keep you.”

“Don’t worry, you’re not.” The girl gives me a nod. “Don’t be a stranger, Natsumi.”

“I won't.”

With that we part ways. Emi stays at the track while I return to the dorms.

‘That was the first time Emi addressed me by my name.’

Returning to the dorms, I peel off my sweaty clothes and grab another uniform out of the closet.

‘If I had known I had to run today, I wouldn’t have bothered taking so long to get ready.’

Showering for the second time today, I repeat the same routine that I had just spent so much time on a few hours ago. Exiting the bathroom, I grab my books and head off to class. I once again navigate the treacherous halls to homeroom, only having to dodge the cane nuts twice from smacking into my good leg.

I enter the class room a few minutes early and notice that a small group of guys have gathered in the corner of the room right were my desk is. As I approach, I start to hear the type of conversation the students are having with each other.

“C’mon dude, she’s a perfect package: cute, smart, and athletic. There is no way you can go wrong.”

“Yeah I suppose, but what if..”

“Dude grow up, there’s no way that shes...you know.”

“One can never be too sure...”

“Just because she hasn’t responded to youe love letters, doesn’t mean that she...

I clear my throat, which causes the group of guys to jump.

“Natsumi, hi..uh how long have you been standing there?”

I smile. “Not long, but could you please move? You're in my seat.”

“Y-yes of course,” the boy says signaling all of his friends to follow.

With my seat now open, I sit down and start unpacking my books.

The first half of the day goes by rather quickly. Unfortunately we didn’t have any group assignments, or else I would have tried to work with Hisao...even if it was with Misha and Shizune.

As the lunch bell rings, the class files it way out of the door. Apparently they learned from their previous actions and are not trying to force their way though. I still wait patently for the crowd to clear before exiting the classroom.

Exiting into the halls, I hear a small voice call my name from behind. As I turn around, I see Hanako standing before me clenching a box lunch in her hands.

“Hello Hanako. What can I do for you?”

“C-Can a-ask you something?”

“Sure what is it?”

The girl looks to her left and right, and then signals me to follow her into the now empty classroom.

As I step in, the girl sits down at one of the empty desks and looks up at me. “W-were friends right?”

“I’d like to think so, what do you have on your mind?” I say as I take a seat next to her.

“W-well, I-I was wondering i-if you would be willing to help me w-with something?”

“Sure what is it?”

“H-How do you do it?”

“Do what exactly?”

“T-that.” Hanako says pointing to my face.

“I’ll still don’t follow.”

The girl lets out a sigh and takes a few deep breathes. “M-Make you’re self l-look so pretty.”

I feel my face get a little red. “How do you mean?”

“Well I w-was thinking of trying something.” The girl slides her left hand over the right side of her face. “A-And I would l-like you to help me.”

‘I think I get what she’s talking about.’

“Hanako dear, are you asking me to help teach you how to put on make up?”

The girl’s face turn beet red.

‘Bulls eye.’

“Y-yes, could you help me?”

‘Now this seems odd, why would she want to draw attention to herself like that? When hates any kind of ...wait a minute I know what’s going on.’

“Are you trying to get someone’s attention?”

“N-No.”

‘You are so busted.’

I smile at the girl. “I can teach you what I know, but...”

“T-thank you, I-I’ll come by later t-tonight and you can help me.”

“Sure, how about six?”

The girl nods and exits the classroom. A part of me wants to get the truth out of her, but it’s painfully obvious why she’s asking for my help. I figure she’ll tell me when she’s ready, probably later this evening.

With an empty classroom, I double check to make sure I have my lunch and head off to the cafeteria. Though on my way there, a certain bubbly running enthusiast stops me before I make it.

“Natsumi, Hi.”

“Hello Emi.”

“I know this is sudden, but would you like to have lunch with us?”

“Us? Who else is coming?”

“Oh just a friend of mine, I think you’ve met.”

Despite not having the slightest idea of who she’s talking about, I still take her up on her offer. Besides, it’s not like I had any other plans for lunch.

“Sure, I’d be happy to join you.”

“Great! Follow me.”

I follow the twin-tailed girl, down a long hallway and up several flights of stairs. Eventually, we reach the rooftop of the school building. Emi joyfully swings the door open and skips out onto the roof.

“Here we are.”

‘I can see that.’

“Now where is that girl?” Emi says looking around the roof top. “She said she was going to meet me up here, but it looks like she’s running late.”

“Looking for me?” a voice says from behind. Emi and I jump at the sudden intrusion.

“Jeez Rin, don’t do that. You almost gave me a heart attack.”

“Sorry,” the voice says.

As Emi steps aside, a short red haired girl in boy's uniform walks on to the roof top. I get the sudden feeling I’ve seen this girl before.

’Where have I see this girl before?’

As I ponder things, the girl turns around and looks up at me. “Hey it’s you.”

I blink a few times before answering. “I’m sorry, have we met?”

“Well kind of, you helped me undress that one time in the bathroom.”

“Rin!” The pigtailed girl squeaks.

“What, she did,” the girl says turn back to her friend.

“I know, but you don’t have to say it like that?”

“How else should I say it?”

Emi lets out a frustrated sigh. “Never mind.”

After exchanging pleasantries, we take a seat on one of the nearby benches. To my surprise, Rin is able to eat her lunch with out any assistance...using her feet.

As the time passes, the three of us converse about numerous things, nothing all that particular, except maybe the consistency of apple sauce and how they get pit into an olive. Those subjects only seem to interest Rin.

As the warning bell rings, we finish up our lunches and return to our classroom. I notice that Rin only ate half of her lunch and left the rest sitting in the container.

‘Maybe she’s worried about her weight.’

The rest of the day goes by as usual. We end up having a group project, but sadly, it’s only groups of three and Misha and Shizune immediately stake there claim to Hisao. As the final bell rings, I gather my things and exit the classroom. Thanks to this morning's ‘triathlon’ I feel a bit more tired then usual. I decide to head off to the dorms, rather then poke around the campus.

Returning to my room, I toss my bag on my desk and bury my face into the pillow, instantly succumbing to my body’s desire for sleep. A few hours pass and I wake in a bit of a fog. Despite my body’s desire for sleep, I still feel that I shouldn’t have napped. Now it’s going to mess with my sleep schedule.

Rolling out of bed, I quick check of my mechanical joints. With all the overuse they’ve gotten lately, I’m surprised that they haven’t fallen apart on me yet. Then again I haven been constantly working on them. As the hours pass, I gather up my assignments and kill some time till my visitor arrives, if she does at all.

Hanako never shows up, apparently something came up and she had to cancel our prior engagement. The note didn’t say what, considering she took the time to write one at least meant that she was considerate enough to inform me that she wasn’t going to make it, even if it was by a note.

With my now free evening and no homework to do, I grab a book one of my bags and start to page though it.A few hours pass that I’m about halfway through this thing. It’s not all that interesting, but it one that I’ve been meaning to finish for a while.

Suddenly the lights go out. Not like a light bulb went out, but rather like some one flipped the switch. I grab my cell from my night stand and use it as a makeshift flashlight, till I can find a real one.

After a few minutes, I manage to find a flashlight. To my dismay, it has a giant cat on the side of it.

‘Where did this thing come from anyway?’

Now armed with a flashlight, I make my way towards the door and step out into the hallway.

Low hums of the emergency lights are the first thing I hear when I step into the hallway. Despite the backup power, the light does little good and are just enough so you don’t run into a wall if you’re walking around.

Like myself, other students ventured out into the hallway and have started to look around. I even spot one girl wear one of those old miner's helmets with a little light on the top of it.

Despite my better judgment, I decide to venture on down the hallway and possibly find a teacher or someone who can tell me what’s going on.

‘I Knew I shouldn’t have gone this way.’

I somehow go a part of the dorms that I’m not to familiar with. Despite the power outage, the emergency locking doors seem to still be active, forcing me to find alternate routes when ever I walk though one.

After walking for what seems like hours, I hear a loud commotion from down the hall. Unfortunately I can’t make out what they're saying; only that someone is approaching me who's not supposed to be here.

“Move it Princess!” a raspy voice says in the darkness.

‘OK I heard that.’

Suddenly a figure comes running into my line of sight. I can’t make out who it is, but I notice a quick flash of light, as if the person is wearing something that would catch the light like a pin or a pair of glasses.

Suddenly an urge comes over me, I don’t know if it fear or anger. Whatever it is, it gives me enough adrenaline to drop the figure in front of me with a single swing of my right arm. As the mysterious person rolls on the floor covering their face, I manage to make out what appears to be a boys school uniform. Unfortunately the person escapes before I can identify them.

Shortly after the intruder’s escape and group of teachers come running down the hallway.

“Which way did he go?”

“I think he went that way.”

“No, it was this way.”

They all run around me, not even stopping to see if I’m okay.

Watching the flashlights disappear down the hallway, I turn back in an attempt to find my room, only to have something catch my eye as my flash light hits it. Kneeling down, I discover it’s a pair of glasses. Rather thick ones, leaving whoever lost these completely blind. As I hold them up to the light, I notice that one of the lenses is cracked.

‘This must belong to whoever was running around here, but who?’

[To be continued]
Last edited by Snicket on Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leotrak

Post by Leotrak »

I'm sorry to say I stopped reading halfway through, because there's just a few too many misspellings in here :-/

Also, if this is what you call short, I'm not sure I wanna read any of your longer works :P
"ice-cream-flavoured ice-cream" -Rin
"oh moe is me" -me
Numbered Days, my first piece of fanfic
Leotrak's Library, my other depository of written stuffs
Before: Hanako>/=Emi>Rin>Lilly>Shizune
After: Emi>Rin>Hanako>Lilly>>>>>>>>>>>Shizune