Precious Friendships (Shizune BE, Sisterhood plot) [Part 2 Complete; Rewritten Ch20@13/3/24]

WORDS WORDS WORDS

ShizuneFan2019

Re: Precious Friendships (Shizune Bad End epilogue) (Updated 2 Apr 2020)

Post by ShizuneFan2019 »

Chapter 10: Away in a Flash

When we finally step out of the Business Faculty, my hands hurt so much that I need to keep massaging them. But when I see the smile of satisfaction on Shicchan’s face, I know it’s all worth it~!

Today was the toughest translation session ever for me~~!! In Yamaku, teachers tend to speak slower and write most of the stuff on the board, to comply with the needs of disabled students. Here, in Kasshoku University, they don’t~~. Naturally~. Also, those technical terms in the business world are so hard to translate! Terms such as “expected utility”, “sunk cost”, and “internal rate of return” are all new to me! (I know rare words such as “armadillo” and “parfait”, but not these business terms~~) I had to confirm with Shicchan a few times to make sure that she gets the correct translations. Luckily they do show PowerPoint slides during their presentations~. Otherwise I would’ve been dead~~! Still, translating an unfamiliar topic from 9am to 3:30pm, almost non-stop, is tiring.

Shicchan looks delighted though. It looks like she’s determined to get into this school. This is enough reward for me already~~.

[Are you okay, Misha?]

I nod in exhaustion.

[I’m fine, just a little worn out~~]

[Let’s sit down and take a rest.]

She leads me to a bench nearby and we sit down.

[I’ll help you.]

Shicchan grabs my hands and start massaging them.

I’m so happy that we’re friends again now, although part of me still wants Shicchan to be more than a friend of mine. I hope our friendship will go on even after I move to America.

When they told me they’re coming to Kasshoku today, I invited myself along and volunteered to translate for Shicchan. She was concerned at first. We have mock exams the upcoming week, and I’m still a few chapters off in several subjects. But I argued that we could study in the train, and the day wouldn’t be very enjoyable without my translations. Hicchan also supported me, saying that he wants his parents to meet his two best friends. Eventually Shicchan was outvoted. We didn’t study in the train though, so I guess we’ll need to do it during the return trip.

The visit almost became a disaster when Licchan showed up. When I translate for Shicchan, I usually don’t think about her words. I just translate literally, and maybe add a few words of my own after that. But Hicchan blocked me out of my job today~. He’s so smart! He brought the same words over but completely changed the meaning~! I dunno, this might be cheating, but I think this is the best outcome for both of them.

While Shicchan is massaging my hands, I can’t talk to her. So I have some time to think about stuff.

Hicchan is definitely Shicchan’s best partner. Not only are they interested in each other, but they also have so many things in common. They can communicate with sign. They’re both good at studies. They’re trying to get into the same university. Their hometowns are quite close to each other as well. They both have a disability, unlike me, so it’s not like it would be unfair to the other party if they are to marry somebody else. Yes, they probably come from different family backgrounds, but you can’t ask for everything.

I hope my mistake won’t ruin such a great match~~

As for me, I’m probably seeking a partner in America. Yet part of me still wants a Japanese, as I’ve been living under a Japanese community for so long. Maybe I can come back and find work after university, and then I can find a partner in the workplace~. But if I live in Japan, I have to find a boy, not a girl. Japan is not as open as America in this aspect, and I don’t want to be discriminated.

[Feeling better now?]

I give Shicchan a broad smile to thank her for the massage.

[I’m feeling much better now! Thanks Shicchan~]

Our meeting time with Hicchan is approaching, so we start walking back to the front gate.

[I shouldn’t have allowed you to come.]

[It’s alright, Shicchan. I’m happy to be with you.]

[But you didn’t enjoy the visit! Business is for me, not for you!]

[No~ I enjoyed it a lot! This is the first time I’ve been to a university~! Being able to see what a university looks like is fantastic! And the food tastes good too~! What’s more, we’ll be able to meet Hicchan’s dad and mom tonight!]

[Alright, if you say so. We’ve got to study hard tonight though. We’ve lost too much time!]

[Okay, okay, we will~!! Don’t worry Shicchan~~]

After a few minutes’ walk, we arrive at the gate. Hicchan isn’t here yet. Shicchan is looking at her wristwatch. I’m sure she’s going to start commenting on Hicchan’s punctuality.

[What’s keeping that boy? He’s always late!]

I can’t help but laugh out loud. They’re just so cute!

“Wahahahaha...”

As I’m laughing at Shicchan’s comment, Hicchan arrives.

[“Hey, sorry for the waiting. I got too caught up with the activities.”]

Shicchan is frowning, as usual.

[Too slow! You made two girls waiting for you!]

Hicchan grins at Shicchan, then spreads his arms before signing.

[“I’m sorry. This school is just too amazing! I really want to get in now.”]

[Childish!]

I’m about to laugh again.

[“It’s alright, Hicchan~! Actually we just arrived a minute ago. Shicchan was as excited as you~ Wahahahaha~~”]

Shicchan blushes while glaring daggers at me.

[“Let’s do our best, Shizune. We’ll be in the welcoming ceremony next year.”]

[It’s a promise!]

“NAKAI!”

Behind Hicchan I see our fellow classmate who we ran into this morning.

“What’s up, Inoue?”

She’s panting heavily. Something’s wrong?

“Nakai…, have… you… seen Hanako anywhere?”

“No. Misha?”

I didn’t recall seeing Ikezawa anywhere either.

“Sorry~ Didn’t run into her. Is she not with you?”

“Mikado, she’s… she’s gone missing!”

“What?”

We both gasp in shock. Shicchan looks perplexed though, and I realize I forgot to translate Inoue’s words for her.

“What happened exactly? She wasn’t kidnapped by somebody, was she?”

“No… She… (sigh) It’s long story, but… anyway… she ran away on her own during a lecture.”

“Something bad happened during the lecture?”

I quickly translate everything between Hicchan and Inoue to Shicchan.

“Yeah… Anyway, she ran away in a flash, leaving her belongings behind. I picked them up and tried to chase her, but I didn’t know which way she went.”

“Do you have any idea where she would run to?”

“Well, probably a corner where nobody’s around. The Satou sisters are checking the toilets in the Faculty of Journalism. You know, Lilly Satou is very sensitive to sounds. She can pick up any sound or breathing even through toilet doors. I’m coming here because we’re supposed to meet up here at 4pm, but I really doubt she’d be here. You see, it’s so crowded here.”

“I see. It’ll be sunset soon, so we’ve got to find her as soon as possible. Anything we can do, Misha?”

I’ve been translating for Shicchan, so I haven’t been thinking. Maybe Shicchan can help us?

[Shicchan, is there anything we can help?]

Shicchan looks annoyed.

[Stupid girl! She’s wasting our time! We’re behind schedule already!]

Hicchan steps up for me.

[I understand, Shizune. But it’s an emergency, and we’ve got to help. Don’t worry. I’ll treat you well in my house tonight.]

Shicchan ponders for a while before answering.

[Alright. Well, given that the school is so big, and there are so many corners and secret paths we don’t know about, it’s not realistic to search on our own. Let’s ask the guards. They might help.]

“Shizune suggests asking the guards instead. They should know much more about this school than we do.”

“Good idea, Nakai. Hey, I see a security over there. What should we say?”

[Just say we’re looking for a tall girl with long dark hair wearing a denim jacket, and ask his colleagues to help for the search.]

“Alright, I’ll do it. Thanks, Hakamichi.”

As Naomi runs off towards the security, Shicchan checks her watch again.

[It’s 4:10 already. How long will it take to get to your home?]

[“Don’t worry, Shizune. It’ll take only about 30 minutes.”]

[I see. Should we go now, or you’d rather stay here and help?]

[“I think we should stay here for a while. We’ll leave at 4:30 if our assistance is not needed any more. Don’t worry Shizune, we’ll be on time.”]

[Alright then. I trust you.]

I just love how they communicate~. I think Hicchan has grown a bit since he came to Yamaku, and Shicchan is learning as well. They’re indeed a perfect pair.

My sense of guilt comes back to haunt me again. I really hope my mistakes won’t…

“Nakai, I’ve talked to the security. They’ll help search for Hanako.”

“Inoue, I just thought of something. You should probably call Lilly and Akira now. Because if the guards do manage to find Hanako, Lilly’s probably the best person to approach her.”

“You’re right, Nakai. I’m on it.”

Chapter 11: Verbal Machine Gun
Last edited by ShizuneFan2019 on Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
ShizuneFan2019

Re: Precious Friendships (Shizune Bad End epilogue) (Updated 2 Apr 2020)

Post by ShizuneFan2019 »

Chapter 11: Verbal Machine Gun

We decide to sit down on a bench while waiting for the results. Shizune takes out a book to study. Misha tries to follow suit, but obviously she can’t concentrate as well as Shizune. I decide to talk to Inoue instead of studying.

“So, you two are aiming for Journalism, huh.”

“That’s right! We’re in the newspaper club, after all!”

“I see. You two and Ooe, all in the newspaper club, then?”

“Yup. Hanako just joined a few months ago, though.”

“So she wasn’t in a club before that?”

“Nah. We’ve been classmates for three years, but it’s only recently that we became friends. Before that, she only talked to Satou. It’s a shame, but at least we’re getting into the same university. If we can find her, that is.”

“Don’t worry. The security is helping. It shouldn’t take too long.”

“Hope so. Hey, let’s not talk about it for now, okay? How ‘bout you guys? Aren’t you studying Science here? And Hakamichi, you’re studying Business, aren’t you? What d’you feel about this school? Isn’t it amazing? It’d be great if all of us can come here after we graduate, wouldn’t it?”

Wow, Naomi is one heck of a verbal machine gun.

“Yeah, I love this school too. I wanna get in with scholarship as well. Let’s be schoolmates again next year. I’m sorry that we didn’t really talk much before.”

“It’s alright. You’re in the Student Council, aren’t you? Isn’t Student Council very busy? How are you gonna study for the mock exams while taking care of all those tasks? Isn’t it very stressful for you guys?”

“It’s tough at times, but yes, since the elections are over, we can tune it down a little bit to focus on our studies.”

“Me too. I hope I have enough time to study though. I feel like I’m running out of time. How ‘bout you, Mikado? What faculty are you going for? You feel confident about the exams? Isn’t it hard to focus on classes while translating for Hakamichi?”

Let’s see how Misha responds to Inoue’s continuous firing!

“Hi Inoue~ Just call me Misha~~ I’m not studying here. I’m going to America to study sign language~! I wanna become a sign language teacher~~”

“Wow, a career already, Misha? That’s really smart! D’you have a recommendation already? Is it hard to get? Are you ready to speak English all the time over there? Are you finding a job in America? Or are you coming back to Japan?”

Misha looks a bit overwhelmed.

“I need to pass the Center Test to get a recommendation~~. Hmm… I think it’s still too early to decide on things. Probably coming back to Japan, but I dunno~~”

“Interesting! Wish you good luck on the exams-”

“Hey!”

As we’re talking, the Satou sisters have arrived. Lilly looks extremely worried. We all stand up to greet them. Naomi is the first to speak up though.

“So… No results from the toilets, I suppose?”

Akira shakes her head.

“No, unfortunately.”

“Don’t worry. We’ve asked the guards for help, so it probably won’t take too long.”

“Thanks Hisao, that’s a great idea.”

“It’s actually Shizune’s idea.”

“Wow. Help me say thanks to her, will ya?”

Shizune adjusts her glasses to express her pride, but didn’t sign anything.

Just then Naomi’s phone rings.

“Inoue speaking.”

“Yeah.”

“Oh, really?”

“I see. We’re coming then.”

“We’re at the front gate.”

“I see. Thank you so much. See you there.”

As soon as Naomi finishes the phone call, Lilly anxiously asks about it. Naomi looks a bit relieved after the call.

“Is there any news on Hanako?”

“Yep. They’ve found her. She seems to be in pretty bad shape though.”

“Where is she?”

“They say that her location is pretty far away from the entrance gate, so they’re coming to drive us there.”

“I hope she’ll be alright. Sorry… Poor Hanako…”

Lilly’s sobbing, and Akira attempts to comfort her. Shizune is looking a bit awkward too. She has kept silent, well, by silent I mean not signing, for a while now. She’s probably not going to trigger any more fights with Lilly today.

“Hey Hisao, do you have plans after the visit? Are you going straight back to Yamaku? My car should be large enough to drive you guys there. After we’ve taken care of Hanako, of course.”

“Thanks Akira, but we do have a plan. I’m inviting the Student Council to my home. I promised to let my parents meet them. We live pretty close to here. A bus ride is all it takes.”

“Gotcha. Well, we should be able to take care of things here. If you need to go now, you may go. Thanks for helping us by the way.”

With Hanako now located by the guards, I suppose there’s not much we can do at this point. I really hope she’s alright. Part of me still wants to stay here for a while and take the security’s car ride. But I cannot disregard the feelings of Shizune and Misha, and my parents.

“Alright then. Please give Hanako our regards.”

“Thanks Hisao. Have a nice trip!”

“Thank you Hisao, and all of you, for the help.”

“Yep. Thanks everyone. You guys saved us a bunch.”

“Take care.”

By the time we arrive at my house, it is 5:30pm. We’re ahead of time.

Shizune fixes her gaze on my house, which is many times smaller than her mansion. Even though it’s not our family’s fault, I still feel a bit shameful. I hope she’s not going to criticize it.

[“Welcome to my home. My parents are inside. Just treat yourselves at home.”]

Shizune ponders for a long while, then nods, and follows me inside.

Misha looks a bit surprised when she sees my house. She opens her mouth to say something, but then stops and follows Shizune without saying anything.

My parents greet them cheerfully. My mom takes an immediate liking to Misha when she learned that Misha also calls me Hicchan, much to my dismay. My dad seems to like Shizune more, and they’re having a discussion on board games using a notepad.

"Make sure you've everything packed."

"Sure, mom. Thanks for everything."

"We'll miss you, Hicchan. See you soon. Goodbye Misha and Shizune. You two are always welcome here."

Dinner was awesome. I haven’t gone back home for more than half a year, so my parents gave us a big treat. We talked about the Student Council, the Yamaku Festival, the summer trip, and today’s trip to Kasshoku. My parents were surprised that we were able to manage so many tasks with a Student Council size of only three. Of course, it is largely because of Shizune. We also declared that the two of us are trying to get into Kasshoku, and I’m going to move back home if I succeed. My parents also supported our decision.

After dinner, Shizune and my dad play a short game of chess, mom and Misha continue chatting, and I help with the dishes. We would have stayed for longer if not for Misha, who started to show signs of fatigue at 8pm. As Student Council members, we have an excuse to miss curfew, but we have a class tomorrow, so we should head back.

We say goodbye to my parents, and then board the train back to Yamaku.

It’s good to see my parents again. They seem to like the girls a lot. We didn’t tell them about my relationship with Shizune. I think they’re going to ask me to pursue one of the girls the next time I call them on the phone.

During the train ride back to Yamaku, Misha instantly falls asleep, much to Shizune’s dismay. She wanted Misha to take the time to study, but I guess it can’t be helped. With nothing else to do, we both take out our books to study.

After about an hour, Shizune puts down her book and signs to me.

[Let’s take a break.]

[Sure.]

Misha’s still sleeping soundly. We leave our seats and take a walk. The night train is quite empty, so we’re free to walk to the front cabin of the train.

[Thanks for inviting me to your home.]

[I hope you enjoyed your game with my dad.]

[He’s a great opponent! I’ll have a rematch with him!]

[Sure. You can visit any time after we both enter Kasshoku.]

Shizune adjusts her glasses and smiles.

[Did you study hard?]

[Of course. I think I’m ready for the exams. Except for English, obviously.]

[English is your worst subject, isn’t it?]

[I’ve never got more than 50 points in the tests.]

[Maybe you can ask Misha for help. She’s not good at other subjects, but English is what she excels in. She actually ranks second in our school, after… you know…]

[Lilly. I didn’t know she chose Kasshoku too.]

[Thanks for the translation today. You’ve done a great job, for your level.]

She gives me a thumbs up, but since I’ve known her for a bit now, I know she means something else.

[You can be honest with me, you know.]

Shizune looks surprised by my straight-forward approach.

[You’re smart. Well, I’m not stupid. That cousin of mine certainly wouldn’t say such kind words, would she?]

[…No comment.]

[Did you do this for me? You’re smart and brave. I have to thank you for that.]

[I hope there will be no fights the next time you two see each other.]

[Hope so. It’s hard, but maybe you can help again next time?]

[So I’ll replace Misha as your interpreter then?]

[Only in front of my cousin.]

[And after Misha moves to America.]

We both share a smile. Shizune then takes out an envelope and hands it to me.

[Sorry for the delay. Here you go.]

[Should I read it now?]

[Go ahead.]

Chapter 12: Oatmeal Breakfast
Last edited by ShizuneFan2019 on Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShizuneFan2019

Re: Precious Friendships (Shizune Bad End epilogue) (Chapter 11, Updated 14 Apr 2020)

Post by ShizuneFan2019 »

Chapter 12: Oatmeal Breakfast
Dear Hisao,

Thanks for helping me out in Student Council work. I trust the abilities of Aoi and Keiko to run a competitive Student Council next year.

Sorry that it took me so long to think about our relationship. I said I wanna put it on hold until after the exams, and I’ll stick to my words. But I wanna share with you my feelings. You were honest with me in your letter, so I’m going to be fair and write exactly what I’m thinking.

When Misha pointed me out that you learned sign language just for me, I was moved to the uttermost. I admit I took it for granted. And both of you mentioned that you confessed to me while risking your life. To be honest, I admire what you did. This is something I probably cannot do. I learned a lot from you.

On the other hand, now that I know you’re a risk case, I’ll have to think twice about our relationship. I know it’s probably not very fair to you, as I also have my own disability, but please understand my concerns. If you still like me, and want to pursue a relationship with me, then I want you to do these:

Have oatmeal as breakfast, at least twice a week. It improves your heart significantly. I know oatmeal doesn’t taste good by itself, but with some milk and a little sugar it tastes really good. I can give you a hand if you need help.

Eat salmon. Cooked salmon. It helps a lot. You need to be thankful that salmon is such a common food in Japan. It’s easy to cook as well.

You’ll have to eat more fruit and vegetables, and less fried food. I’ll never cook you fried food again. We’ll eat healthy together.

No more coffee. If you’re hungry, then eat food; if you’re tired, go to sleep.

We’ll have restrictions on the amount of take-out food we order every week. Luckily the second-year students are helping us on our meals during the exam period, so we just need to ask them to cook us healthy food.

You’ll have to do some exercise every day. I know you don’t like running too much, but how about running with me? This should make things easier on you.

Have your health status checked every week. I know you don’t like the Nurse. Let’s do it after you get a bit of health back.

I know this is a lot for you, but I hope you can be a responsible person, both to yourself and to the people next to you.

Let’s study hard and graduate together.

Shizune
I close my eyes and plunge deep in thought after reading the letter.

The advices she gave me… If someone gave me these advices a few months ago, I most likely would have stopped talking to him or her. But the letter is hand-written by from Shizune, my lover. I can feel how much she cares for me in this short yet meaningful letter. I’m especially moved by the fact that she offered to eat and perform exercises with me. She’s really thought this through.

Come to think of it, I’ve never been taking good care of my health. Despite help from Yamaku staff and students, like the Nurse, Emi, and Mutou, I never paid attention to their advices and offers. Even after I became Shizune’s boyfriend, I wasn’t being responsible to myself or my partner. She’s right. I need to become a responsible person. I’m fortunate to have this girl beside me, who, despite my wrongdoings and my mistake with Misha, still showed such kindness and love to me. She deserves a positive response. It will be hard for me, but I’ll try my best.

When I open my eyes, Shizune‘s staring at me with a pair of nervous eyes. She’s probably wondering how I’ll take her words. I look into her eyes.

[Thanks for the letter. I’ll do it. I’ll try to take all of your advices.]

Shizune is visibly relieved as I put the letter back into the envelope. I’ll treasure it.

[Let’s put them into practice. Meet me in the cafeteria tomorrow morning.]

Talking about efficiency! I briefly consider delaying it until next week, but I know that any objection is going to be met by a finger snap and a “No arguing”.

[I hope we don’t get overslept.]

[Then let’s head back and take a nap. Then we can still study for a while.]

[Let’s go.]

I’m about to head back to Misha’s place when Shizune stops me.

[Wait!]

She then leans over and gives me a quick peck on my cheek.

[Let’s go!]

She cheerfully leads the way while I’m left dumbfounded.

After another hour of cramming, the train finally stops. Waking Misha up took us some time. During the ensuing bus ride, Shizune turns on the torch function of her smartphone so that we can keep studying. By “we” I mean Shizune and myself.

It’s 11pm when we finally arrive at Yamaku.

We say goodbye to each other, and I return to my dorm room. I walk stealthily to avoid Kenji, as I won’t have the energy tonight to take his verbal assaults of feminism. I’m very relieved when I finally lock my dorm room unscathed.

Then I forgot about that I need to take a shower in the bathroom, so I need to dodge him a couple of times again. Oh no! I hope he’s already asleep.

Does he ever sleep? Or does he have any mechanism to keep himself on guard all the time from possible feminine attacks at night?

I shouldn’t think too much. Let’s take a shower now. I seriously need it, especially after a full day of travelling.

Ah… Hot water feels so good.

My mind goes back to Shizune’s letter. I promised her I’ll try to follow her advices. This means I’m going to change my lifestyle, starting from tomorrow morning. I’ll have oatmeal for breakfast and salmon for lunch. No more coffee for me. I’ll run with her, and I’ll go see the Nurse.

Can I do it? Just for Shizune?

Yes, I’ll do it.

It will be a big change, but I find myself smiling in front of the mirror when I exit the shower.

The blaring sound of my alarm wakes me up from deep slumber. I consider turning it off and going back to sleep, but I’m suddenly reminded that I need to meet Shizune in the cafeteria.

The digital lines on my alarm display tells me that I only have ten minutes left.

I jump up from the bed, finish my cleaning in record time, engulf my seventeen life-saving pills in one go, change my clothes, grab my coat, and dash towards the cafeteria. Well, by “dash” I mean walk as quickly as possible without losing control of my heart. It’s clearly better to show up late than triggering my condition.

For a moment I wondered if Shizune would trick me and not show up in the cafeteria, but I quickly wrote that possibility off. I have enough trust for her.

Look, there she is. She didn’t disappoint me.

[You’re late!]

Shizune showed me her golden wristwatch after signing using her left hand only. I’m indeed late. Late for 58 seconds, to be exact. In Shizune’s world, even being late for one second is late. I’m familiar with this girl enough to realize this.

Since I have no defense, I can only apologize.

[I’m sorry. I’ll do better tomorrow.]

[As this is your first time, I’ll let you go. I expect you to improve tomorrow.]

[Don’t worry. I’ll try my best.]

Shizune seems satisfied with my reply, and, with her right hand, she takes out two containers from behind her back.

[Ta da! Oatmeal for us! And…]

She reaches her bag to take out another container.

[Boiled eggs! One for me, one for you.]

This breakfast looks plain, but somehow I like it. At least it’s much better than just a single can of soda.

She then leaves for the counter to fill two cups of hot water. She returns and takes out two teabags, soaking them with the hot water.

[And green tea instead of coffee!]

She puts on a clinical display of living a healthy lifestyle. This is what I’m supposed to eat for breakfast, as told by my parents so many times. Before I came to Yamaku, I had been staying at home and eating healthy breakfasts cooked by my busy parents. Now I’m living in Yamaku by myself, free from my parents’ grasp, and I immediately picked up bad eating habits. I feel so ashamed for betraying my parents, and even more ashamed that I need a girl to rectify the problem for me.
I can’t help but shiver. Having coffee alone as breakfast is such a terrible idea. How did I endure this horrible lifestyle?

[What’s wrong?]

[Nothing. Just… I can’t believe I’ve not had a proper breakfast since, like, weeks ago. The mere thought of that makes me shiver.]

[You just had one yesterday. With me on the train.]

[Yeah. Of course that doesn’t count. You know what I mean.]

Shaking her head in disapproval, my ex-girlfriend starts removing the egg shell in front of her. I instead go for the oatmeal.

It tastes… plain.

This is probably going to be the worst breakfast I’ve ever had in Yamaku. Well, “worst” in the flavor department. But Shizune made it just for me. I’m quite moved. We came back quite late last night. How was she able to get up and make breakfast for us? Where is the word “sleep” in her priority list?

The Student Council President is looking at me nervously while biting on her boiled egg.

Even though it tastes so bad, I give her a thumbs up and a broad smile.

She is visibly relieved and smiles back at me. We proceed to eat in verbal silence.

Somehow the oatmeal keeps tasting better. Is it an illusion?

I quickly figured out the answer: The food wasn’t mixed well. She probably made it in a hurry. After mixing the oatmeal thoroughly, it actually tastes really good.

Now I can give Shizune a thumbs up without lying.

Chapter 13: Stretching Instructions
Last edited by ShizuneFan2019 on Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
ShizuneFan2019

Re: Precious Friendships (Shizune Bad End epilogue) (Chapter 11, Updated 14 Apr 2020)

Post by ShizuneFan2019 »

Chapter 13: Stretching Instructions

After that wonderful breakfast, Shizune and I enter our homeroom together. Misha has already arrived, and greets us with an analyzing stare before reverting to sign language.

[“Hi Hicchan and Shicchan~”]

I wonder if she’ll ever get tired of calling us by her self-invented nicknames. Come to think of it, why does she not call herself Shiina instead? Maybe I can call her Shiina right now, catching her by surprise. But it would probably backfire, so it’s not a good idea. Yet I’d love to call her by her real name at some point in the future, as it feels more earnest.

[“Good morning Misha. Did you sleep well?”]

[“Yup! I’m full of energy now~~ Wahahahaha!!”]

Why does she nickname herself Misha instead of following her pattern of “somebody-chan”? She should’ve called herself Shic… Wait, hold on. “Shiina” would become “Shicchan” in that case. Was “Shicchan” her real nickname before she knew Shizune? Misha told me the other day she loved Shizune at one point. Did she give her own nickname to Shizune and created “Misha” as her new nickname? That seems to be a legitimate possibility.

I consider asking Misha about it, but the bell rings, and I should prioritize classes over my classmate’s nickname if I want to pass my upcoming Center Test. Thanks for the reminder the other day, Mutou.

Shizune and I take our respective seats and take out our books. Suddenly I remember one thing. While the three of us had an excellent time in Kasshoku University yesterday, for a certain girl the trip could not have gone worse.

Even though I don’t know about this girl a lot, somehow I feel nervous for her. I turn around, hoping to catch the sight of my timid classmate.

But as expected. The seat next to Naomi’s is empty.

Well, Hanako usually shows up right before Mutou does. Or sometimes right after. Maybe she’ll come after all.

Naomi catches me staring at the empty seat. She gives me a helpless shrug. I nod.

I consider asking Naomi about it, but Mutou enters the classroom. I don’t think I should ask her in front of our classmates anyway.

Hanako didn’t show up in class after all. I’m worried. Mutou didn’t look annoyed by her absence though. Was he informed of what happened yesterday already?

Part of me feels like I should be focusing on my studies instead of considering my classmates, but should I really neglect yesterday’s events as if nothing happened?

I don’t have time to consider my after-class actions, as right after the lunch bell rings, I’m swiftly cornered by my two best friends. I’m having a feeling of déjà vu. So, while I’d like to hear from Naomi, to the cafeteria we go.

Unfortunately, the cafeteria’s menu for today doesn’t have salmon. My mute friend looks disappointed. Just as I’m about to approach the counter, the President stops me and orders me to sit down. She’ll order for me. Misha looks surprised, but doesn’t say anything.

Whatever she takes back from the food counter must be healthy. I don’t need to worry about it. I feel like a child being taken care of by a mother, except that this “mother” of mine is my love interest. I don’t want to be treated as a child. I’ll have to return her a favor later.

While waiting alone in the cafeteria, I keep failing to take my mind away from Hanako. Whatever happened to her must be devastating. I really want to help if possible, but I’m probably not in a position to. Unfortunately, with my two Student Council friends so hostile towards their classmate, I can’t discuss Hanako’s situation with the two either.

The wait didn’t take long though. They come back with a lot of food, but without fried food, coffee, or dessert. Just meat and vegetables, accompanied by orange juice. I’ve never had a lunch like this in Yamaku. Shizune quickly distributes the food between the three of us. Even Misha’s portion is healthy.

I’ll leave Hanako’s issue for later. My first priority is to mend my bond with Shizune.

I realize that I didn’t pay for the meal. Shizune made me breakfast, so I should pay her lunch. I immediately take out my wallet.

Shizune puts a hand on mine. I’m slightly surprised by my ex-girlfriend’s slender fingers touching my hand, but I decide against pulling out as I find the sensation quite enjoyable. Well, it’s certainly not the first time the two of us had body contact. We did have sex the other day, and last night she gave me a peck.

[I’ll treat!]

[Why?]

[No reason. I’ll treat both of you today.]

Let’s tease her a bit.

[It’s so unlike you. You must have an ulterior motive.]

She ponders briefly before adjusting her glasses.

[Let’s celebrate for us finding a good university to aim for! We’ll ace our exams and enter Kasshoku in style!]

Okay then, I’ll take it.

[Cheers!]

Misha, of course, doesn’t complain.

[“Cheers~~”]

My anticipated “worst lunch ever”, which consists of an unexciting combination of mixed vegetables and pork, turns out to be okay, especially when I’m accompanied by my two best friends. I should be able to live with this kind of diet. I mean, with two pretty girls constantly around me, one of which is my lover, I can’t complain.

Shizune excuses herself into the restroom, and the former bubblegum hair with a suspicious nickname doesn’t waste time to take the chance to question me.

“Hicchan, what’s going on~~? What’s with all this food~~? And why is Shicchan treating us?”

I shrug, trying to sidestep her interrogation.

“Dunno. She just wants us to stay healthy, I guess.”

Misha returns me the same pair of analyzing eyes as this morning, clearly not buying my clueless reply.

“I saw you two in the cafeteria this morning~”

Oh no. We were spotted.

“Why didn’t you come and say hi?”

“I thought you two might be having a secret conversation, so I just sat somewhere else~~”

“No, it’s not secret. We’re out and open in the cafeteria.”

“But you’re using sign language, aren’t you? So even when you’re having an open conversation, only people who know sign can read it, right? Right!”

She does have a point, although if that argument stands, then whoever not speaking Japanese in this country must be conversing top secret.

“I guess you’re right. But no, it’s not secret. We just had a healthy breakfast. I promised Shizune to change my lifestyle. I’ll stay healthy so that I can enter university with her.”

“I see~~ So… are you and Shicchan~~?”

“No. And I probably need to step up my game in order to meet her harsh standards.”

Misha giggles at my denial of a relationship with the President.

“Hehehe… You two are so cute together~~ You’ll be fine. In case you don’t know yet, Shicchan doesn’t always execute her strict standards~! Hehehe…”

After just getting back on track with Shizune, I’m in no mood of joking with Misha.

“Well, you know her much better than I do, so I’ll take your words.”

“Hicchan, remember to study hard, and take care of Shicchan in Kasshoku, okay?”

“It’s more like she’s taking care of me. Look at all this food! She even cooked me breakfast this morning!”

“Aww… Looks like she’s ready to be your housewife!! Wahahahaha…”

A “-.-” face followed by hitting her head with my chopsticks should suffice.

“Take care of your own exams, Misha. If you fail, I don’t know where you’re going.”

“Wahahahaha…”

“By the way, there’s something I’d like to ask you for quite a long time.”

“Huh?”

“Why are you calling yourself Misha instead of Shiina?”

The bubblegum hair who avoids using her given name looks taken aback by my sudden question, but quickly regains her posture.

“You don’t know it yet, Hicchan~~? You see, Misha comes from my name~~. Mi from my surname Mikado, and Sha is the short form of my name~~!!!”

She doesn’t even want to mention her given name. Well, if you don’t allow me to sidestep my relationship with Shizune, I’m not letting you off the hook either.

“No. I’m not asking where the name Misha comes from. I’m asking you why you prefer Misha over Shiina.”

I probably crossed a line, as Misha looks uncomfortable facing my pursuit.

“Just because, Hicchan.”

“No reason at all?”

“It’s a secret.”

“Aren’t we friends? Friends should share secrets.”

“It doesn’t work this way, Hicchan~~.”

She’s keeping her lips sealed. Alright then, no further prying.

“Okay then. I mean… I just feel like calling you Shiina feels more natural. But if you don’t like it, I won’t use it then.”

“Thanks, Hicchan~~.”

I give my lunch partner an evil wink.

“Well, I can always ask Shizune about it.”

“I don’t think Shicchan’s gonna tell~~! Right? Right~!!! Wahahahahaha!!!!”

Shizune returns, and, seeing Misha laughing, sits down and continues her meal. She must be in a good mood. Maybe one day we’ll learn about Shiina’s deep secret.

This is the first time since my first week in Yamaku that I hit the track field again. Well, the one time with Miki doesn’t count, as I wasn’t running. This time I’m joined by none other than the Student Council President.

This is also the first time I see Shizune in her winter sports outfit. Her jacket is wrinkled, probably because it’s unused for some time, but she still looks amazing. White jacket and black trousers suit her perfectly. She always has her outfit well thought-out, even when performing casual exercises.

Noticing I’m staring at her, my running partner for today frowns in annoyance.

[Why are you standing here? Do the stretching!]

I’ll tease her a bit.

[I’m waiting for your stretching instructions!]

[You don’t know how to stretch? You’re pathetic!]

[I know, but I just want to learn the standard procedures in the rule book.]

The President folds her hands, her frowns getting deeper.

[There’s no rule book in stretching!]

[I thought the Student Council has a manual for everything.]

[Trying to be funny, huh? We do have a rule book to punish naughty students. If you keep talking to the President like this, I’ll have you run five more laps than usual!]

I laugh heartily. I know she’s merely mocking anger, but we shouldn’t waste time teasing each other like this. So let’s start stretching and prepare for the run.

Crap. How am I supposed to do the stretching?

Oops, I forgot how to stretch! Or, rather, I never learned how to do that properly.

Well, I’ll just make something up. As long as she doesn’t notice, I’ll be fine.

So, accordingly, I flail my arms around and move my legs left and right, pretending to be very professional in this subject. Then, when my companion starts her own stretching program, I carefully position myself to her left and take a step back so that she can’t see me unless she turns around, and stealthily copy her routine.

She first moves her head around in a clockwise pattern for a few cycles. I hurry to follow. Then she stretches her arms one at a time. Using her left arm as an anchor, she pulls her right arm towards her body. A few seconds later, she switches to the other arm. So that’s how you stretch. Thanks a lot.

My ex-girlfriend swings each of her arms in a circular motion, similar to how I flailed my arms around earlier, but in a much more professional way. Then she exercises her waist, turning left for a couple of seconds before switching to the right. While warming up with her, I cannot help but glancing at her beautiful curvature every now and then, part of me, particularly the lower half of me, already thinking about what would happen if I were to share the same bed with her.

No, I shouldn’t have this evil idea in my mind. Let’s focus back on the stretching.

Then she bends over to touch her left shoe with her right hand. I follow suit and Ouch! That hurts! Man, I’m so out of shape! She switches over to the other side as I watch in admiration: She’s so beautiful! Her movement is so smooth and elegant, while mine is downright awful. With her perfect figure right next to me, how can I not get distracted?

Okay, that’s enough. It’s not like I never had an intimate moment with her. And it was me who threw everything away by betraying her. Damn! Why did I make that mistake with Misha? That was such an act of stupidity. Shizune is the perfect girl, and I messed up! If I didn’t, Shizune would be safely in my hands now!

No time to lament on my mistakes. And there’s still chance to win back her heart.

Maybe I should find myself another distraction. Let’s face the track field instead. Since the exams are approaching, the track is almost empty. Miki’s not here. Even the track star Emi is absent. A gust of cold wind blows by, and I shudder slightly. It’s starting to get really chilly. Luckily we both wear enough for today’s run. Everybody is either in the library or their dorm room, and I’m out here running with a girl, trying to regain some health for myself. I hope that I don’t catch a cold. If I do, I would be losing health while trying to gain health. How sarcastic that would be!

It looks like my crush is done with her warm-ups. She turns around and grins at me while adjusting her glasses.

[Are you done? Let’s start running!]

She cheerfully grabs my hand and heads towards the starting line. I consider teasing her a bit more by mentioning my copying of her warm-ups, but I don’t want to ruin her good mood.

Since I haven’t performed any proper exercise in several months (that one-time sex not included), instead of running straight away I start by increasing my walking speed. Shizune, however, doesn’t waste any time and sprints ahead, leaving me to catch up with her. No worries, I’ll be fine. It’s not like I can’t outrun her. Being unable to beat a disabled girl who is not named Emi is unthinkable.

Well, I’m happy I didn’t say it out loud, as the very moment I accelerate, I find my legs dragging as if pieces of lead are stuck onto them. It’s so hard to even try to lift both feet off the ground! At this rate, I won’t even outpace a walking Emi! I’ll probably become the slowest Yamaku student ever. Okay, maybe I can outrun Lilly Satou, but that’s probably it. Man, I’m so out of shape! This is going to be a tough run. Where’s Shizune? Is she half a lap ahead of me already?

As I drag myself forward like a snail, Shizune, who actually turns around and runs back towards me, notices my lack of form. She shakes her head in disgust.

[You really need to get back into shape. Don’t give up! Follow me.]

I’m glad that she comes over to help me instead of humiliating me by lapping me. Come to think of it, considering the way she sprinted forward at the start of the run, she probably wanted to race me at first. Admitting that I’m so physically degraded, I nod and try my hardest to catch up with my running partner.

But half a lap into the routine, I already feel like I’m facing an impossible mission.

Instead of focusing myself on my tired legs, I decide to fix my eyes on Shizune. Her running form is surprisingly lovely, especially considering that she’s got a pair of heavy loads on her chest. She probably strapped them tight enough to make sure they don’t bounce around when she runs. Her short dark blue hair sparkling gracefully in golden yellow from the setting sun, she runs with an air of absolute confidence that will certainly captivate any boy in the school. And I’m glad to have a second chance to chase after her. Not literally, of course, since I’m so unfit.

Admiring the Student Council President seems to make my run easier. However, by the end of the second lap, I’m almost out of breath already.

[We’ll slow down a little bit, but keep running.]

I want to give up, but then I realize that Shizune is doing all these just for me. I cannot disappoint her.

[Okay.]

Luckily we don’t need to speak in order to communicate, and this helps me save a bit of energy. Nevertheless, by the end of the third lap, I’m almost keeling over. The beautiful dominant cat is the only reason I can withstand this ordeal.

[Final stretch! Come on!]

My heart is pounding heavily. I can’t… go… on…

Fix my eyes on Shizune. You’re… my… only… girl…

I don’t know how I managed to cross the finish line.

As soon as I finish, I kneel down hopelessly. My heart is racing heavily. Soon after, I realize that my chest is getting hurt.

Throb, throb, throb.

Oh no! Not my condition!

I totally neglected the risk of performing such a tough exercise!

Throb, throb.

My vision starts to fade into darkness, and my hearing is gone too. My body is like a computer that is shutting down.

No, I don’t… want… to die… in front of… Shizune…

Throb, throb.

For my lover’s sake, I must stay alive!

Is there any way I can save myself?

Throb. Throb.

Oh yeah, a doctor once told me to take deep breaths when my condition is about to trigger. Okay, even though I hate doctors, I need to take the advice now.

Breathe in, breathe out. Breathe in, breathe out.

Throb. Throb.

It’s too early for me to die. I have a test to take, I have a university to aim for, and I have a girl to pursue. I won’t give up! There’s still a potential bright future ahead of me! As the doctors said, I can still live a fairly long life, providing that I take care of my own health.

Please slow down, heart! Yes, I admit, I’ve been treating you poorly. I confess my sins. I promise you, I’ll take good care of you in the future, okay? Just survive this one time, whatever it takes to do that.

Throb. Throb.

At least my heart rate seems to be not accelerating further. Please! I’m begging you, heart! You can do it!

As I’m fighting for my own life, I vaguely feel somebody grabbing me on my shoulders. My ex-girlfriend must be strengthening me with her own energy.

Throb. Throb.

I feel my heart starting to slow down. I’ll continue with my breathing.

Throb.

As I’m on the verge of successfully controlling my heartbeat, I find my vision and hearing gradually restore.

Throb.

Am I safe?

When my heart finally stops racing, I see an extremely worried Shizune kneeling in front of me. The vicinity of her enviable figure and the freshness of her feminine scent could have triggered another heart attack, but fortunately at this moment I have zero sexual desire.

[Are you alright?]

Lacking the energy to respond in words or sign language, I merely nod to lessen her worry. Breathe in, breathe out. Try to calm down.

Shizune takes out a handkerchief and wipes my forehead, which is soaking wet.

Phew. I’m not going to die. At least not today. I can still chase after my goals.

The last thing I want is to die in front of my crush.

[You’re tired. Take a rest here.]

Making sure I’m okay to move, my class rep lifts me up from the ground and carries me to one of the bleachers next to the track. I borrow her handkerchief and bury my face into it. We sit here for a few minutes without talking until everything is finally back to normal.

[Let’s slowly walk a bit, to cool down.]

Seeing no rejection from my end, the President puts my arm onto her shoulder and walks one lap with me very slowly. In silence.

I haven’t been so close to Shizune since that afternoon in Saitama.

Walking this lap with her is the most satisfying experience for me since the day I was born. Yes, even better than that day.

Shizune is such a lovely girl. I want her. I’m gonna marry the hell out of her.

It took us probably more than ten minutes to finish the walk. We settle ourselves down on the bleachers.

[Are you feeling better now?]

I finally have enough strength to reply her in sign language.

[Yes, thanks.]

[You shouldn’t have stretched things so far. You could have asked me to stop.]

[I just… didn’t think.]

[You’re really out of shape. We’ll have to take it a bit easier tomorrow.]

[I guess there’s no choice. Don’t worry. I’ll tell you to stop if I can’t take it.]

[You might have to see the Nurse.]

[No. I don’t want to get scolded. If the Nurse knows about this, you’ll get scolded too.]

[Then we’ll have to be more careful tomorrow. Drink some water and take a shower. See you in the cafeteria.]

[Sure. Thanks for running with me. It really helped.]

[I’m going to attend a briefing with the new Student Council. I might be late. Please wait for me though.]

[Sure. I’ll wait for you.]

She’s the loveliest person in the world.

Chapter 14: Cup of Tea
Last edited by ShizuneFan2019 on Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mirage_GSM

Re: Precious Friendships (Shizune Bad End epilogue) (Chapter 12, Updated 14 Apr 2020)

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Oh boy, this is a long one... I'm going to comment as I read, so some comments might be redundant with what others have already written.
When did everything start going wrong?
First thought: "In a route going off Shizune's bad end this should be really f*ing obvious... :-)
We really didn't need that recap of the entire route at the beginning...
Best case scenario is Mutou notices and talks to Shizune. Come to think of it, I might get some help from him too.
Well, Mr. Mutou, I cheated on my GF with her best friend, and now we've broken up. Any advice with that?" ...Not my first idea for getting advice...
It's almost as much OOC for Mutou to actually give advice rather than recommending a councelor.
Followed by a bow that is probably more than 120 degrees.
120? Really? Yuuko never struck me as very athletic...
“No. It depends on how much Shic… Shizune knows.
Not quite sure how to interpret this... In the same breath he's talking about honesty he's saying his relationship with Shizune might be salvagable depending on how much she knows... Does not seem to be a healthy attitude to me.
Well, at least it probably isn’t boy jerk or pink jerk.
Who is this, and what has she done with Shizune?
Hisao's letter
Basically: "I know I slept with your best friend, but you're partly at fault for that as well... Oh, did I mention that I have a heart disease and asking you out could have killed me? Shouldn't that count for anything?" Really smooth...
"We'll miss you, Hicchan. See you soon. Goodbye Misha and Shizune. You two are always welcome here."
That was... quick...
If you still like me, and want to pursue a relationship with me, then I want you to do these: Have oatmeal as breakfast, at least twice a week....
What? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Now Shizune turned into Emi :-)
[You’re late!]
TBF she never said a time when they were to meet up. She just said "tomorrow morning"

Okay, final thoughts (on the story so far):
It's quite good in spite of the rather large list of complaints that piled up, but it IS quite a lot of material already.
Personally I'm not a big fan of BEFFs (Bad End FixFics), since on average they tend to be more gratuitious than anything. For this one I don't even know why you decided to base it off the bad end, since that plotline appears to be resolved a third of the way through part 1. I do think that resolution went too easy, and overall the story would probbaly have been better if you had left out that subplot entirely and just started in the middle of the Shizune path.
But since that part is now done with anyway, I'm looking forward to the rest of the story.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
ShizuneFan2019

Post by ShizuneFan2019 »

Chapter 14: Cup of Tea

“Yay~!! Mock exam is OVER!! It’s CELEBRATION TIME~!!”

The class bursts into laughter as my neighbor declares the obvious. Guess who will she celebrate with?

[“Let’s go, Hicchan and Shicchan!”]

Not as oblivious as Misha, I prefer using sign language in this situation.

[Hey Misha, I need to take care of something first. May I join you two later? It won’t take too long. Meet you at the front gate in one hour.]

[“Alright then. See you soon~~.”]

During the run with Shizune yesterday, she said she’ll invite me and Misha to the town, to celebrate the end of mock exams. I’m happy to hang out with them again, but I have a mission to achieve before I can leave school today. Accordingly, while the two girls joyfully leave the classroom chatting in sign language, probably talking about what to eat, I get up from my seat and approach the blonde-haired verbal machine gun who’s probably not in a mood to fire off her questions until we’re done.

“Hey Inoue. Ready to go?”

“I am. Let’s go.”

Three days ago, after I finished my first afternoon run with Shizune, she left without taking a shower, claiming that she had to attend a briefing with the new Student Council. When I was walking towards the boys’ dormitory to take a shower, I ran into Lilly, and we talked for a bit. She revealed to me that Hanako never recovered from Sunday’s accident, and she had a talk with Hanako’s therapist about it. I told her that Hanako didn’t attend that day’s class. She was extremely sorry for the accident, which I’m yet to find out what exactly happened, and she was worried about Hanako’s mock exams these couple of days. Her sister Akira recommended her to get help from me and Naomi, as we’re in the same class. I promised to keep a close eye on Hanako if she ever comes back to class.

Hanako didn’t show up on Tuesday, but came on Wednesday to take the test. She, however, arrived five minutes after each of the exams started, and left around five minutes before the end of each paper. Naomi, who sits next to Hanako, noticed that she was downright nervous throughout the exams, to the point that she could barely get herself to write. In view of all these symptoms, the three of us decided to ask Mutou for help at the end of the mock exams. As the representative of the group, I booked a meeting with my homeroom teacher on behalf of the girls.

Naomi says goodbye to her fellow classmate Natsume Ooe, picks up her notepad, and follows me to pick Lilly up. But not before another girl calls my name.

“Hey Hisao!”

I turn around and find the sportswoman with a missing hand grinning in joy, most likely because exams are past tense already. At least temporarily.

“Hey Miki, glad that exams are over.”

“Yup. Wanna join us Saturday afternoon? We’re going to the city.”

Two trips to the city in a week? Awesome! I like hanging out with those guys a lot. Just hope I don’t have to carry Suzu all the way back here.

“Sure. Just pick me up after school.”

“Great. See ya, boy.”

I wave goodbye to my stumped classmate and head towards classroom 3-3.

“Geez, you’re surely getting popular.”

“Might as well establish more contacts before we graduate. Heck, maybe we can help each other out after we come out to work.”

“Wow, you’re really looking ahead of things. By the way, just call me by first name.”

“Likewise then, Naomi. But no, it’s Shizune’s idea.”

“She’s really rubbed it onto you then.”

“Well, that’s what you get by working with the Student Council President every day.”

“But it’s good for you, isn’t it?”

“Sort of.”

Upon entering Lilly’s classroom, we immediately identify the class rep being swarmed by her fellow classmates, most likely asking her to join their celebration parties. Luckily I don’t see my hallmate Kenji in the classroom, or else he would lecture me with his anti-feminist ideas (a.k.a. Kenji-ism) if he happens to spot me talking with two girls. That is, if he has the eyesight to do so.

It’s too noisy. I need to shout.

“Hey, Lilly.”

The tall blonde hair instantly turns towards our general direction.

“Is that Hisao?”

“Yes. Are you ready to go?”

“Yes. Please wait a moment.”

It took her some time to get rid of her classmates, but eventually she was able to escape the swarm and exit the classroom. Once she reaches us, the tall blonde doesn’t waste time on bringing up the obvious question.

“How’s Hanako? Did she attend the exam today? Did she leave early?”

So Lilly is now the verbal machine gun. Understandable, given the situation.

“Hey Satou, she did attend the exams today, but pretty much the same as yesterday: Her papers are largely empty.”

Lilly sighs and shakes her head in disappointment as if she failed her own exams.

“Poor Hanako. She was so much better the last few months, and now it looks like she is going back to her old self. And it’s all my fault.”

“Don’t dwell too much on it, Satou. I’m sure Hanako isn’t angry with you.”

“Yes, Lilly. We’ll get help from the staff in a moment.”

Despite our encouragement, the best our tall blonde friend can offer is a mild nod. I can already foresee that our walk towards the teachers’ office will be filled with an awkward silence, in sharp contrast with the surrounding cheers of holiday announcing joy throughout the hallways.

Mutou patiently waits for us to finish our report before he replies.

“Thanks for telling me everything. It seems like we have our work cut out for us. I’ll discuss Ikezawa’s situation with her therapist and the Nurse.”

Given that Lilly has already talked to Hanako’s therapist, I seriously wonder if Mutou already knows everything, but decides to patiently listen to our own account of the story to help with his professional judgment. Lilly, on the other hand, looks like she has already forgotten how to spell the word “patience”.

“Is there anything we can do, Mr. Mutou?”

“You are her closest friend, aren’t you, Satou? Even though I am not your homeroom teacher, I request you to continue keeping a close eye on Ikezawa. She tends to lock herself in her room, no? We will inform the dormkeeper about her. Report us any abnormalities coming out from her room.”

“I will.”

Mutou closes his eyes briefly, as if considering whether it is appropriate to say what he’s going to say next.

“Also, I know this is going to be a tall ask for you in this situation, but please take care of yourself and study hard for the exams.”

Man, that’s absolutely not what she wants to hear right now.

Her hopes of obtaining a more useful advice dashed, Lilly produces a long sigh in disappointment. I can’t blame her for that. I’ll, however, try to supply her with as much positive energy as I can muster.

“Yeah, Lilly, please don’t forget to take care of yourself. Hanako will be even more depressed if you don’t pass your Center Test.”

“I will try my best.”

I doubt my words will be of any use, but it’s probably better than silence.

“I promise you, Satou, that we’ll try our very best to handle Ikezawa’s situation. It will not be an easy task, I assure you. Patience is definitely required.”

It seems like we have no choice but to leave it to the professionals.

“We understand, sir.”

“Yes. You take care of yourselves, and we take care of Ikezawa.”

“Yes, sir.”

With nothing else to discuss, he waves us off and heads towards presumably the office of Hanako’s therapist, leaving the three of us to walk our way back to our dormitories. I’m expecting another painful silence on the return trip.

Mutou’s non-answer pisses me off a bit (come on, they’re professionals, aren’t they?), but frankly speaking, I never had any high hopes on this Mutou visit. Hanako’s issue, whatever it is, doesn’t look like it can be solved in a matter of days (or otherwise it would have been figured out before I came to the school). If the incident worsened the issue, it’s going to take an even longer time for her to recover, if it is even possible. Her situation is too hard even for professionals.

That said, I really admire how Lilly cares for Hanako, to the point she almost shares the same emotion as her best friend. During the walk from Lilly’s homeroom to Mutou’s office, I kept wondering why Lilly, who apparently has a lot of friends (and probably fans) to talk with, willingly attaches herself to this socially awkward girl who most likely has been spending her Yamaku days merely breathing and existing. Befriending another girl will save her a lot of trouble, but she doesn’t.

Makes me recall the days before I came to Yamaku. Do I have a true friend of my own? I used to consider Shin, Mai, and Takumi my best friends, but they abandoned me in the hospital. Our friendship wasn’t as sturdy as I thought to be. After witnessing how Lilly cares for her best friend, a pang of guilt ushers into my mind. I never treated my friends like Lilly does. Yeah, we used to hang out regularly, be it in the soccer field, shopping mall, or the arcade center. But did I truly care for them? I couldn’t name their favorite subjects. I didn’t know about their family members. I never developed a deep relationship with my high school friends. And I treated them like sh*t in the hospital. I deserved to be abandoned. I don’t deserve a close friend like Lilly to Hanako.

“Do you mind joining me for a cup of tea, Hisao?”

Her invitation startles me a bit. I expected the walk to be in complete silence. But why not take her offer? I surely need a break from the exams and Hanako’s issues.

“Sure. Naomi?”

“Sorry, I have to meet Natsume for Newspaper Club business. We’ll talk later, okay?”

“Alright then. Lilly, let’s go.”

Waving Naomi goodbye, Lilly and I walk back to the academic building and head to the tea room. Her navigation skills never cease to surprise me. If I were blind, I probably would’ve fallen to death before I could reach my destination.

I open the tea room door for Lilly, who steps in and skillfully takes two cups, put in the teabags, fill them with hot water, and serves me a cup of tea. Amazing skills.

“What tea is it?”

“It’s Orange Jaipur. My favorite. Please enjoy.”

“Thanks, Lilly.”

The last time I visited this room was the day before my fallout with Shizune. Lilly was here too. She gave me some advises on my relationship with Shizune, but I didn’t really listen to her. Luckily, I was able to salvage everything in the end, but I probably should have taken more heed to her words.

However, I don’t think Shizune will be today’s topic.

“Well, Lilly, I just want to say… You might not believe it, but I also care for Hanako. She’s my classmate after all. We’re on the same boat.”

Taking a sip of her Orange Jaipur, she replies me with a bitter smile as we hear proclamations of joy far away from another part of the school. I’ll soon join my two Student Council friends on celebrations too. I’m sure Lilly was invited into numerous parties by her classmates, but she probably won’t have the mood to enjoy them.

“That’s so nice of you. She must be very happy if she knows about this.”

That slim scarred girl is certainly a figure shrouded by mystery. I still remember how she escaped from me in terror the first time we met in the library, as if I were a monster or something like that.

“I only talked to her a couple of times, so I don’t know much about her. Tell me about Hanako, will you?”

Lilly puts down her teacup and stares into the infinity through the teapot in the corner of the room with her hollow blue eyes.

“To be honest, I don’t know much about Hanako either. We only became friends for a year. When we hang out, usually I do most of the talking, and she only listens.”

Reminds me of what happened in the hospital. They were doing all the talking, and I was silent. Except that I never really listened to them. I deserve no friends.

I really need to take extra care of the two strings of friendship that I managed to save from the brink of snapping.

“Understandable.”

My tall blonde host gently takes another sip of her tea. The way she does this provides me with the best definition of “elegance”, to the point that I can equate “elegance” with “Lilly”.

And meanwhile, why not also equate “jerk” with “Hisao”? I’m so angry with myself.

“I know very little about her past. She lost her parents at a very young age.”

Parents, huh. I never imagined what would happen if I ever lose my parents. They’ve been working so hard that we seldom have time to see each other. Without their financial support, I wouldn’t be able to afford all the pills that I’ve been taking to extend my life, let alone study in Yamaku.

The best way to repay them is to pass my upcoming exams and enter a university.

“Did she live in an orphanage then?”

“Yes. She was bullied by the children over there, and then she came here.”

We both finish our cups of tea, and I do Lilly a favor by taking the teapot behind me and refilling our cups.

“Did her behavior change during her stay in Yamaku?”

“I don’t know, because I’ve only known her for a bit more than a year. You can ask Naomi or Shizune about it, as they have been in the same class for three years. As far as I know, she only started to open herself up during the summer break.”

Shizune refers to Hanako as a stupid girl the other day. I doubt she’ll tell me anything about Hanako.

“Makes sense. Otherwise she would have certainly joined a club or had some friends of her own.”

“That’s true. Unfortunately.”

“Hanako is such a tough nut to crack, isn’t she?”

“It would have been much better if I did not mess up.”

I’m claiming Hanako a tough nut to crack. I’m sure that’s exactly what my friends were thinking about me in the hospital. Including Iwanako.

“Don’t worry, Lilly. We’ll figure out something. The most important thing is to figure out the correct way to talk to her. And we have the school staff to fall back on.”

Drinking tea with Lilly in the tea room is always relaxing, even when we’re facing a difficult situation. It makes me forget about time altogether.

Forget about time.

Oh no! I forgot about my meet-up with Shizune and Misha!

“I’m sorry, Lilly. I just remember that I need to meet up with Shizune and Misha. We are going to the town to celebrate the end of the Mock Exams.”

“Oh. Really? Have a nice evening then. Please say hello to Shizune for me.”

No, I won’t. According to how I know Shizune, if I deliver Lilly’s regards to her, she’ll definitely take it the wrong way.

“Sure. I’ll talk to you again in the near future. Meanwhile, please try not to worry too much and focus on your own exams.”

“Thank you.”

Picking up my teacup and cleaning it in the sink, I wave Lilly goodbye, forgetting about the fact that she cannot see. I’m about to say goodbye out loud when she shocks me by waving at me with a smile.

Did she manage to sense the air flow? Her skill is beyond words.

[You’re late again!]

Oh no.

[I’m so sorry.]

A frustrated Student Council President is the last thing I want to see after the completion of mock exams.

[Where have you been? Does it take you more than an hour to get changed?]

I might as well face her head on. There’s no point running way.

[I apologize. I had a meeting with Mutou about…]

Oh no, I spoiled it. Should I mention it?

[About what? You think you failed the Mock Exams?]

I hesitate with my signs.

[No. It’s about…]

My authoritative classmate folds her hands and glares at me.

[Tell me.]

I don’t think I can hide any more. I shrug and reveal the truth.

[Alright. Yeah, it’s about Hanako.]

My ex-girlfriend raises an eyebrow in surprise.

[Why?]

[You remember the accident in Kasshoku? Hanako hasn’t been in class since then. She only came for the Mock Exams, but Naomi noticed that her exam papers were mostly empty. She’s probably in trouble. That’s why I accompanied Naomi and Lilly on their visit to the staff office. I hope the school staff can help Hanako.]

[I still don’t think it’s worthwhile to waste time on such a weakling.]

Totally expected. And I’m pretty sure telling me about our weakling classmate is also an inappropriate use of her precious time.

[“Shicchan! She’s our classmate after all~! Don’t be so mean!”]

At least our pink-haired classmate is more caring. I can talk to her about Hanako, if I’m given the chance to do so.

[Hmph. Look, Misha, we’ve just wasted another fifteen minutes. We could have done a lot of things in fifteen minutes.]

The former bubblegum hair shakes her head. It’s actually quite shocking to see my neighbor standing up against her best friend like this.

[“Shicchan! We can make up for the lost time, but I can’t agree with you this time~! I cannot always agree with you! We’ve got to help our classmates~!”]

I hurry to help extinguishing the President’s flames.

[Look, Shizune, I’ll treat you. Don’t get angry.]

With Misha firmly on my side, Shizune finally decides to give in.

[Alright. We’re gonna waste more time if we argue like this. Let’s go.]

Yeah. I should leave Hanako in the professionals’ hands. It’s of utmost importance for me to strengthen my bond with my two precious friends.

Chapter 15: Killer or Lifesaver?

Last edited by ShizuneFan2019 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:08 am, edited 5 times in total.
ShizuneFan2019

Re: Precious Friendships (Shizune Bad End epilogue) (Chapter 12, Updated 14 Apr 2020)

Post by ShizuneFan2019 »

Mirage_GSM wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:19 pm Oh boy, this is a long one... I'm going to comment as I read, so some comments might be redundant with what others have already written.
Thanks for the comments. Unfortunately the forum logged me off after a while so I had to type everything again.
First thought: "In a route going off Shizune's bad end this should be really f*ing obvious... :-)
We really didn't need that recap of the entire route at the beginning...
Gotcha. But I intended to describe things on Hisao's perspective, rather than the readers'. It's obvious from our point of view, but not as obvious from his side.
Well, Mr. Mutou, I cheated on my GF with her best friend, and now we've broken up. Any advice with that?" ...Not my first idea for getting advice...
It's almost as much OOC for Mutou to actually give advice rather than recommending a councelor.
Hisao: "As shameful as it is, he is probably the best candidate to ask advice for. At least I can learn from my own mistakes. I know I'm wrong. I'm trying to do something!"
I think she once knocked off Kenji's parcel? And another time her glasses managed to fall off? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Not quite sure how to interpret this... In the same breath he's talking about honesty he's saying his relationship with Shizune might be salvagable depending on how much she knows... Does not seem to be a healthy attitude to me.
Indeed not a healthy attitude, and his attitude hasn't been very good either. But it does depend on how much she knows, unfortunately (or fortunately for Hisao).
Pink jerk is her pink friend who writes in pink ink and who actively seduced her boyfriend.
Basically: "I know I slept with your best friend, but you're partly at fault for that as well... Oh, did I mention that I have a heart disease and asking you out could have killed me? Shouldn't that count for anything?" Really smooth...
To be honest, I would say she's indeed partially at fault. Not trying to go too deep here, but in many marriages, one side eventually cheated because his/her spouse was constantly pushing him/her away. Of course I'm not saying that the cheater is innocent, but things could have been salvaged if he/she was treated better. This point of view is quite true for many conservative countries such as Japan.

But in this case, Hisao's just trying to be honest.
That was... quick...
I have a page limit for each chapter. Since I was going to exceed the limit, I cut the details off. For more interactions, see a few chapters later.
What? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Now Shizune turned into Emi :-)
Haha, didn't make the connection. Through all these events, they eventually grow up and become more mature.
TBF she never said a time when they were to meet up. She just said "tomorrow morning"
I intended the discussion on time to be "offline", but since you mentioned it, maybe I'll add it back.
Okay, final thoughts (on the story so far):
It's quite good in spite of the rather large list of complaints that piled up, but it IS quite a lot of material already.
Personally I'm not a big fan of BEFFs (Bad End FixFics), since on average they tend to be more gratuitious than anything. For this one I don't even know why you decided to base it off the bad end, since that plotline appears to be resolved a third of the way through part 1. I do think that resolution went too easy, and overall the story would probbaly have been better if you had left out that subplot entirely and just started in the middle of the Shizune path.
But since that part is now done with anyway, I'm looking forward to the rest of the story.
Thanks for your comments. If you think everything's resolved, think again! Haha!
Given what you said, I'll make Hisao's life harder for the rest of the story. Poor Hisao! At least it won't be until the second part of the story.
ShizuneFan2019

Post by ShizuneFan2019 »

Chapter 15: Killer or Lifesaver?

Thump. Thump.

My heart’s pounding really hard. I feel like another heart attack is imminent.

Thump. Thump.

If not for all the afternoon runs with Shizune last week, I might have keeled over already. I’m far from being in good shape, but at least I’m getting better every day.

Thump. Thump.

It’s time for the judgment. It’s killing me! My pulse must be 150 right now.

Mutou the killer hands me the papers. I take a deep breath, then immediately turn to the last page to see the aggregate score.

I close my eyes, take another deep breath, and try to relax myself.

Someone pokes me with a pen. Definitely not Misha.

[Hicchan, Shicchan’s talking to you.]

I look over to see a focused Shizune, most likely eager to know my score.

[What’s your score? Tell me, tell me!]

She’s probably, no, definitely, making this a competition.

In other occasions, I would have made a bet with Shizune. But I have zero mood for that today. There’s a time for everything, and this is just not the time for betting.

I give her a very relieved smile.

[I got eighty. I’m quite satisfied.]

[I win! I got eighty-one!]

Sorry, no competition today.

[Congratulations!]

[As the winner, I’m going to claim my spoils! Treat me dinner tonight!]

I smile. It’s alright. I really have to thank her for pushing me so hard last week, so I don’t mind treating her.

[Sure. See you this evening.]

The President frowns at me. She probably thought I wouldn’t be so submissive.

[Why didn’t you resist?]

Our sign language catches the eyes of Mutou the lifesaver.

[We’ll talk in the Student Council room.]

With a sigh of relief, I start reviewing the papers on the desk. I scored very well in the science subjects. Math is 95, Physics is 92, Chemistry is 93, and Biology is 91. For the other subjects, Ethics is 78, and Japanese literature is 75. History was rough, but I still scored a passable 65. But I’m most satisfied by my nightmare subject, English. I expected to fail it. Thanks to Misha’s help, I managed to just pass by scoring 51. This is the best English score I’ve ever had in high school.

Despite the satisfactory results, I probably shouldn’t relax too much. The true exams are two months away, and I expect it to be harder than this one. This being said, I should be able to celebrate with Shizune today, hopefully along with Misha.

Speaking of the former bubblegum hair…

“Hey Misha, how ‘bout you?”

My neighbor pouts in disappointment. It looks like celebration with her is out of the question.

“Better than I thought, but I’ll probably have to take some of the supplementary classes.”

“Supplementary classes?”

“Let’s talk in the Student Council room, okay?”

Alright, to the Student Council room we go.

Besides Misha, I’m also curious about the results of a few more classmates.

I take a quick glance at Miki. She isn’t even going through her papers, but just sitting there doing nothing. That means she either scored very well or very poorly, with the latter being a much higher possibility.

Last Saturday we had a great time in the city, along with Miki’s three friends. After a brief discussion, it was decided that each of us suggests an activity for the afternoon. I chose arcade games, which pleased everyone except Suzu. Suzu herself chose bookstore, which earned a sharp glare from Miki. The stumped girl suggested dessert, which I was okay with, though a bit concerned about my health. Yukio, who I learned to be a popular guy in the sports team, preferred movie. Haru the rich boy decided to try something new and opted to treat us dinner in a Western restaurant after we burn our dessert on arcade games.

So we left the classroom right after class ended and had a light lunch in the cafeteria because we were all starved. We then boarded a bus to the city. I’m quite familiar with the city now, thanks to all the trips with my two Student Council friends, so I helped the country girl Miki choose a dessert café. Shizune’s health advices in the letter were still ringing over my head, so I ordered a small cake and a glass of orange juice. Miki and Suzu shared a large cake, and the two boys ordered ice-cream, despite the cold weather. After we satisfied Miki, I brought the group to the arcade center nearby to burn off the energy.

We first let Suzu choose her favorite game. She picked the air hockey table, and Miki decided to be her first opponent. To start things off, I offered to pay for the first game. After slipping in the coins for them, we boys hopped on the motorbikes to start racing. It’s been quite some time since I played this, so it was a lot of fun.

After we finished our respective games, I switched Miki to be Suzu’s second opponent, while the others tried out the dancing booths which were very popular a few years ago. When Suzu scored the final point against me, we found out that they were not done yet. They were enjoying themselves a lot, and were competing against each other on scores. Suzu seemed to be attracted, much to our surprise, and eventually the two of us joined in.

It’s interesting to see how they played the game. Miki and Yukio danced with a lot of style. Suzu, despite being a shy girl, actually played very well. Haru and I had a great difficulty following the arrows at first, but then we gradually became familiar with the tempo after a few practices. We spent quite a lot of money on that game.

We were already exhausted, both in terms of energy and budget, after the dancing. We moved on to the cinema and received the tickets for the comedy movie booked in advance by Yukio, who also treated us some drinks to quench ourselves. I suspected Suzu might fall asleep inside the cinema after all the workout, but the movie was hilarious enough that she couldn’t help but laugh out loud several times.

After the 90-minute long movie, we headed towards the restaurant Haru picked for us, and we had a fantastic time together. I just love their conversations. I didn’t have to speak much, as listening to their banters was enough fun. I also learned a bit more about my friends and their families. Finally, we went to the bookstore, saving the best for last for Suzu. After careful selection, Suzu and I bought several exercise books for the upcoming Center Test. Miki, of course, was “amazed” by the fact that we had the pleasure to think about studying even after exams. She even joked that Suzu and I would be a great match.

We did have an excellent time together, but I felt a bit sad at the end. I was informed that Miki, Haru, and Yukio will go different ways after graduation. Miki’s going back to help her father unless she can miraculously enter a university, while the boys are furthering their studies in the Kansai area. Suzu is aiming for a university in Tokyo, which is near my hometown Chiba. So, except for Suzu, my friendship with the group is probably not going to stay.

Things surely have taken a big turn these few weeks. A few weeks ago, I lost Shizune, I lost Misha, I had no friends in school, and I didn’t have the energy to study. Now I have my two friends back, I have the President directing my lifestyle, I’m acquaintances with Miki and her group, and I’m trying to help Lilly and Naomi with Hanako’s issues. The only known schoolmates in Yamaku I haven’t contacted recently are Emi and Rin. The latter already left for Tokyo, but I might be able to find her again after I move back to Chiba. Emi, on the other hand, is going to be a tough one, if I’m trying to make friends with her. I did reject her morning runs after all. But with so many friends around me, I’m now enjoying my time in Yamaku. Unfortunately, we only have a few months before graduation, and a large portion of the time will be spent on studying. On the other hand, many of them are aiming for Kasshoku, so at least some of my friendships will hopefully maintain. That is, if Hanako gets her problems solved.

Speaking of Hanako, she hasn’t come to class today. It makes sense, as she probably knows about her scores already. I turn around and take a look at Naomi. She’s checking her papers, and from her looks, she hasn’t done very well. The accident with Hanako might have affected her scores. I’m also quite worried about Lilly. She looked devastated when we visited Mutou last week.

Then I turn back and take a look at Suzu, who’s also studying her papers. I’m going to ask her about her results too.

Today’s class ends early because of the paper distribution, so I’m not hurrying for lunch. Even though I have so many friends in my mind, I still want to have lunch with the Student Council. I quickly sign to the duo.

[I’ll join you for lunch, but I’ll be right back.]

They nod as I immediately head towards Miki. Before I say anything, though, the sportswoman preempts me.

“Hey boy, looks like you aced your exams.”

“Not exactly ‘aced’, but I’m satisfied with my results. How did you know?”

“When Mutou handed you the papers, his eyes were sparkling.”

“He doesn’t show his emotions much. Your eyes are unbelievably sharp.”

“I told ya boy, when you don’t need to pay attention to class, you do something else.”

“Not even bother going through your papers?”

“No point. It’s not like checking them will double my score.”

This implies she scored less than half. Not good at all. Do I want to talk to her about friendship worries? Maybe later.

“Not even checking the overall score?”

“I did. As expected.”

I’m not asking her score, but she’s probably going to those supplementary classes Misha talked about.

“How ‘bout Suzu?”

“You really care for her, don’t ya?”

“Can’t I care for my fellow classmates?”

“You’re blushing.”

“Only because I’m ashamed of being friends with a teasing girl.”

“You actually look kinda cute when you’re teased. Gonna tease you more. It’s fun.”

I decide to go back to the original subject.

“Anyway, how did Suzu do?”

“Dunno. Why don’t you ask her, boy?”

“Isn’t it obvious? She’s sleeping.”

“Then wake her up and ask her.”

I roll my eyes on Miki. Once Suzu goes to sleep, it’s nigh impossible to wake her up.

“I’ll ask her later then. Thanks again for the trip last week. I had a lot of fun.”

“Glad you liked it.”

“Can I talk to you and Suzu in the afternoon? Track field.”

“Sup?”

“Secret. See you there?”

“Alright boy.”

Before I head for lunch, I want to check one more thing. I turn around.

No trace of the newspaper group. Naomi probably left already. Her fellow clubmate wasn’t there either.

Hanako, please be alright.

Chapter 16: Returning the Favor

Last edited by ShizuneFan2019 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

ShizuneFan2019 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:58 am
I think she once knocked off Kenji's parcel? And another time her glasses managed to fall off? Correct me if I'm wrong.
You might want to double check how much 120° is... Personally I know exactly one person who could pull that off and she's extremely athletic...
Pink jerk is her pink friend who writes in pink ink and who actively seduced her boyfriend.
It's just not like Shizune to use such childish insults. The only one of the main girls who might do that is Emi.
To be honest, I would say she's indeed partially at fault. Not trying to go too deep here, but in many marriages, one side eventually cheated because his/her spouse was constantly pushing him/her away. Of course I'm not saying that the cheater is innocent, but things could have been salvaged if he/she was treated better. This point of view is quite true for many conservative countries such as Japan.
Well, sure. I wouldn't say Shizune really "pushed him away"... Her manner would push most people away, but apparently Hisao was attracted to exactly that...
However that's not what I meant: Regardless of whether or not Shizune was to blame, that's not an accusation you write in a letter of apology!
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
ShizuneFan2019

Post by ShizuneFan2019 »

Chapter 16: Returning the Favor

This is the third time in a week I have salmon as lunch. Sitting across my two Student Council clubmates in the cafeteria, I’ve been enjoying this new diet so far.

My Shizune-directed lifestyle has been paying off. I was able to handle exams with much more energy, and I can now handle a moderate amount of physical exercise, such as the dancing session last Saturday with Miki and her friends.

[“Hey Hicchan~, how’s the salmon?”]

And I think my pink-haired friend has gotten healthier from a restricted diet too. By healthier I mean less plump. Although I suspect another major reason for her getting thinner was the exams.

[“It’s alright. Not as good as the one we tried last Thursday, but with such a cheap price you can’t bargain.”]

Last Thursday was the day we finished our Mock Exams. The Student Council celebrated in the city after school. We had a healthy dinner involving salmon in a medium-high class restaurant; we’re able to afford it because of an early-bird discount for purchasing our meals before official dinner time, which was six o’clock.

[I’m glad you like it. I can see your health improving.]

And my ex-girlfriend’s figure is as charming as ever.

[“How do you know?”]

[Your complexion is getting better. Also, Miura told me you went dancing with her last Saturday.]

Misha gasps in surprise, almost dropping the salmon in her mouth in the process.

“Hicchan~~!!”

[“So she told you? Yeah, I went to the city again with Miki and her friends. Suzu, Haru, and Yukio. We had a great time.”]

Upon hearing the other names, Misha instantly breathes a sigh of relief before swallowing her salmon. She probably thought I took Miki on a date.

[“You’re making a lot of friends now, aren’t you~?”]

As I realized earlier, I’ve been so lucky to be in this position where I’ve got a bunch of friends willing to hang out with me. The fact that most of them being girls is a nice bonus.

[“Yeah, I’m glad to finally enjoy my time in Yamaku. But, of course, you two are my best friends. That’s for sure.”]

The class rep adjusts her glasses, and I can see a slight hint of admiration coming out from her pair of analyzing eyes.

[Glad to see how you changed these couple of months. You’re getting more and more adorable.]

With a little more luck, maybe I can get myself a girlfriend in the near future.

[And that’s because of you, Shizune. And you too, Misha. I also wanna thank both of you for helping me out in the exams. Shizune, I’ll treat you a great dinner tonight. And Misha, your help in English paid off. I was able to pass with 51.]

My strict class rep harshly frowns at my barely passing English exam score.

[You still have a lot of room for improvement. 51 is a very poor score.]

I intended to tell the duo about the details of my scores in the Student Council room, but after Misha talked briefly about her upcoming supplementary classes due to a mediocre Mock Exam result, she said she was too hungry to continue our discussion. Unfortunately we have run out of snacks in the Student Council room, so we talk in the cafeteria instead. I’m sure my dietary planner wouldn’t allow me to eat the snacks in her self-proclaimed office anyway.

[I know, Shizune, but I tell you, this is the first time I’ve passed an English test in high school. I can’t thank Misha enough for this.]

Misha, meanwhile, seems satisfactory with my 51.

[“Wahahahaha~~ I’m glad I could help!! Treat me a parfait tonight, will you, Hicchan?”]

[“Of course!”]

Misha stands up, spins around and raises her hands in a childlike joyous fashion.

[“Yay!! Free parfait tonight!! Wow”]

In contrast to Misha’s wild celebrations, the President, who just engulfed a broccoli, makes a quick frown and signs slashes to me while still holding her knife and fork, causing me to reflexively back off a little.

[You’ll go broke if you spend money at this rate.]

Your knife threat aside, I’ve got to thank you for caring for my wallet.

[“You’re right. But I’m not spending any more money after today.”]

The sign language expert puts down her utensils, puts her hand under her chin to ponder while staring straight at me. Misha is still celebrating.

[Don’t treat me tonight. You’ll treat me after the Entrance Exams.]

I look into my ex-girlfriend’s eyes sincerely, as if I’m confessing to her.

[I don’t mind spending money on you, Shizune.]

[Thanks. But I’m not stupid. I realized it when I visited your family the other day. I finally knew why you called my home a mansion.]

Man, I feel so ashamed. My parents work overtime for me, yet I’m spending their money on entertainment. After today, I must study hard to get into university.

[“You’re so right, Shizune.”]

Misha, who just finished her celebration dance, sits back down and takes a bite of her carrot before re-joining the conversation. I’m amazed by the fact that she can still read her friend’s signs while dancing for her evening parfait.

[“Hicchan… In fact I was shocked too. You know, Yamaku is an expensive school, so whoever comes here…”]

Yeah, yeah, reasonable assumption, Misha.

[“…is supposed to come from a rich family? Yeah, except me. And maybe Miki.”]

Shizune gets up from her seat, puts her hands on my shoulders, and faces me directly. She signs with one hand.

[Don’t feel dejected. We understand. That’s why you need to save more money and study hard. Look into my eyes.]

With my ex-girlfriend within arm’s length, I’ve no choice but to obey her request.

[Don’t treat me tonight. Just pay for Misha’s parfait. I don’t need you to treat me. I want you to study really hard, and snatch the Kasshoku scholarship together. This is the spoil I want to claim. Promise me.]

How can I not take her offer of saving my wallet?

[Yes, I promise.]

[Good boy.]

And then, with one hand still on my shoulder, she unexpectedly gives me a quick peck on my cheek. Then she releases me and goes back to eating.

Misha and I look at each other, both utterly shocked. Not only because Shizune just kissed me, but also because it happened in the school, in the cafeteria, in front of Misha, and in the middle of the day. My pink-haired friend then covers her mouth, trying to resist bursting out into laughter. Not wanting to laugh in front of us, the parfait lover excuses herself into the restroom while the President keeps herself busy with her food. Resisting the urge to kiss back my crush in school ground, I also dive into the remainder of my salmon and wait for the third member of the group to come back.

Two kisses in two weeks. Love comes so sudden, you can never expect.

“Sup?”

“Hey Miki, where’s Suzu?”

“Asleep again. Can’t help.”

Oh well. But maybe talking to her alone is for the best.

“I see. Thanks for coming though.”

The casual girl who gives off a different vibe, and claims that surnames are too stuffy. Like talking to Lilly, I feel relaxed chatting with Miki, although the feeling cannot be more different. Talking to Lilly is like chatting with my mother, while conversing with Miki is like talking to myself.

“I asked her for you. Got 71. Should be good enough.”

This score should book Suzu a place in the university, as long as she can maintain this level in the actual exam.

“Thanks. That relieves me quite a bit.”

“You really care for her, boy.”

I think this is the best time to bring out the issue.

“That’s why I wanna talk to you.”

The sportswoman raises an eyebrow and gently pats my shoulder with her lone hand.

“Why? You want Suzu?”

Stop thinking weird stuff, Miki!

“No, that’s not what I meant. What I’m trying to say is... Well... How should I say...”

“Bring it on. Don’t be shy.”

I scratch my head. I’m not shy. I just don’t know how to say it out loud.

“Well... You see, although we only became friends a few weeks ago, I really enjoyed the time I spent with you and your friends. I wanna keep our friendship for as long as possible...”

“Hmm... Can see where you’re going.”

“Yeah. It ends too soon. I’m going to Kasshoku University in my hometown of Chiba with Shizune, but none of you except Suzu are going to an area with a reasonable distance from me.”

My classmate shrugs and shakes her head helplessly to deliver the clear message that she’s unable to help with my issue…

“Help me take care of Suzu, won’t ya?”

…but I fully anticipate her response and will challenge her.

“Maybe... you can try...”

The Track Meet runner-up interrupts my suggestion by pouring cold water onto my bold ambitions…

“Getting into university? No hope, sorry.”

…but I again correctly predict her response and am ready to make a counteroffer.

“I understand, but how about a vocational training center in or near Tokyo? You can train up a skill you like that you can make a living with, and you can still be friends with me and Suzu.”

Misha’s presumably supplementary class companion clearly doesn’t buy my idea.

“Thanks, but I believe I’m hopeless.”

Yeah, yeah. I know you’re a tough nut to crack. Luckily I’ve got just the right response already. I’ve planned this conversation since lunchtime.

“You told me the same thing last Saturday, didn’t you? I wanna have a say on that.”

I take a deep breath before deciding to reveal my true self.

“I never told you about my condition. I have a problem in my heart. Any bump onto my chest or an excessive physical activity might trigger my condition and kill me instantly. I’m now living on borrowed time.”

Miki’s shocking reaction is one I expect from a normal person. I’m definitely not thinking about Rin when making this statement, definitely not. For your reference, this was Rin’s exact response: “How boring. Trouble in the pants would have been much more scandalous.”

“Whoa! Didn’t know. How did you survive the dancing the other day?”

“I’ll tell you why in a minute. The truth is, I didn’t want to come to Yamaku at all. After the accident, I felt hopeless about myself. I didn’t want to do anything except reading books in my room. Then, you know, on my first day here...”

“The Student Council?”

“Yes. They kind of forced me to join them. After the first week, I practically spent every day with the two girls. I ended up developing a crush on Shizune.”

“Makes sense. You’re brave, boy. Tell you. Hakamichi is one of the three hottest girls in Yamaku, according to the boys. The other two are Satou and Ibarazaki. Many boys in Yamaku fall for the President. But nobody ever tried.”

“Really?”

“Yup. And among those boys were...”

Haru or Yukio? Or both?

“Forget it. Anyway, you’re one fearless boy. Especially when you know you have a heart condition.”

“I just went for it, and she accepted. But then, you know, we had a fallout, and I ended up asking you for help.”

“And you two are back together now?”

“Not officially, but close to. We had a long discussion, and at the end she persuaded me to change my lifestyle. I’m now eating healthy food, and I’m running with her in the track every afternoon. In fact, she’s coming to run with me soon. Thanks to the change in lifestyle, I’m now able to withstand a moderate amount of exercise, like the dancing last Saturday. That answers your question.”

“Uh huh. Great job, boy.”

“Anyway, what I wanna say is, I also had a time that I felt utterly hopeless. But I learned from my mistakes and slowly, but gradually, I climbed out of the situation. I admit that there was some luck involved, but I can’t stress this enough: Without your help, I couldn’t have made it this far. I’m just trying to repay you for what you did.”

“Don’t think I helped that much, but what you said was quite persuasive.”

Now let’s turn on the offense!

“Miki, please don’t give up on yourself. There are still a lot of things you can do. I know you don’t like studying. You can develop a skill and pursue a career on that path. Why not give it a try? We have a lot of examples here in Yamaku. Emi lost her legs, but she runs the fastest. Rin has no arms, but she has a great talent in art. You can do the same. At least consider this with our friendship in mind. And Suzu’s too.”

Given that you consistently lose to Emi in races, I don’t think you should pursue a career in track sports. If you’re willing to, we can figure out a career together. We can discuss things with Suzu, Haru, and Yukio.

“You should seriously consider being a teacher, boy.”

Miki is obviously trying to humor me, but I’ll use her words to my advantage.

“Indeed. Shizune and I talked the other day about my career. I wanna become a science teacher. That’s why I’m trying to get a degree in science. You should pick a career of your own as well.”

My stumped friend falls quiet for a moment and, in an attempt to avoid eye contact, faces the track which is empty now. My ex-girlfriend should be here any minute.

“I’m not sure about it…”

I make a final push by reciprocating what she did earlier: I gently pat her shoulder with my right hand.

“Our friendship is on the line, Miki!”

She looks into the sky for a short while before giving a long tired sigh, then faces the ground as if she’s been scolded by Mutou.

“I’ll sleep on it. Thanks for the advice, Hisao.”

She’s still avoiding eye contact, and her tone is reluctant. But it’s an already much better response than I initially anticipated.

“Again, I’m just returning the favor.”

With another long sigh, the casual girl finally re-establishes her eye contact with me. I mean, you can’t keep running away from planning your future, can you?

“You’re adorable. No wonder the President falls for you.”

I’m surprised to receive a couple of kisses from the strictest girl in Yamaku, but, based on the letter I received, I don’t expect to get back my girlfriend until next year. And by that time, we’ll both be in university, and she might have new targets.

“Promise me, think about it.”

A bitter smile is the best she can offer me.

“Alright. I promise. I suppose you’re waiting for the President?”

“Yeah, I’m going to run with her.”

“Exercise is good. See you tomorrow then.”

“Bye.”

Waving me goodbye, she heads back to the dormitory alone. I thought about asking her to run at least a lap with me, but decided against it since Shizune is coming.

Alright then. I’ve done my job. Miki, it’s up to you now. Please, get yourself together and save both your future and our friendship!

Chapter 17: Water Under the Bridge

Last edited by ShizuneFan2019 on Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
ShizuneFan2019

Post by ShizuneFan2019 »

You might want to double check how much 120° is... Personally I know exactly one person who could pull that off and she's extremely athletic...
Thanks for mentioning. I went back and discovered that it wasn't what I meant. I reworded it a little bit: "looks like 120 degrees to me". (Again, unreliable narrative is what I'm aiming for here.)
It's just not like Shizune to use such childish insults. The only one of the main girls who might do that is Emi.
I'll think about it. Personally I don't see any problems, but my (or Shizune's, in my point of view) focus was to avoid using the real name.
Well, sure. I wouldn't say Shizune really "pushed him away"... Her manner would push most people away, but apparently Hisao was attracted to exactly that...
However that's not what I meant: Regardless of whether or not Shizune was to blame, that's not an accusation you write in a letter of apology!
I looked back. I wouldn't interpret the letter to be an accusation. The only possible "accusation" in the letter was the sentence "you know how cool you can be sometimes", which she already admitted. Maybe possibly "I think you can say the same to yourself (i.e. not being a good girlfriend)". Other than that, he was simply stating facts.

I might modify the words if I'm convinced that it's a letter of accusation.

Thanks for the comments. By the way, I was a bit stuck on the second part of the story until you pointed out "not to spare Hisao so easily". That actually was what I planned but eventually forgot about. Now I can continue with the story.
ShizuneFan2019

Re: Precious Friendships (Shizune Bad End epilogue) (Chapter 15, Updated 24 Apr 2020)

Post by ShizuneFan2019 »

Chapter 17: Water Under the Bridge

I’m finally free! Hooray!

It’s been two weeks! I can’t wait to do that again!

I quickly enter my dorm room, change into my sports outfit, take care of my hair, and Here! We!! Go!!!

I had another inflammation two weeks ago (the last time it happened was a couple of months ago, after the Track Meet), and I was forced to sit on that stupid wheelchair for a while. The worst thing is, I couldn’t run for Two! Freaking! Weeks!!! That’s so frustrating! Well, exams were around the corner, so at least I could distract myself with those stupid books. Those stuff aren’t gonna be useful (I wanna be a pirate, not a bookworm), but unfortunately I need to pass the test and graduate in order to get into my favorite college to be a physical trainer. I didn’t do all that well in the Mock Exams. Only 52 on average. That damn English! Only got 32. Again! I. Hate. English!!!

But let’s forget about everything! That damn inflammation is over! And I can run again! Straight ahead to the track!

Nothing’s gonna stop me any more. Not the inflammation. Not the asshole Nurse. Not the cold wind. Run, run, run!!!

Hello sports field! It’s been a looooooong time! I miss you so damn much! Don’t you miss me too? I love you track!!

Let’s do the stretching. I haven’t done any exercise for two weeks, so I’m a little bit out of shape. I’ll have to train twice as hard this week to make up for it…

Hey, is that...?

!!!

They’re... running??

I’ve never seen either of them here. Well, in the boy’s case, not since the Festival.

That asshole’s actually running! I can’t believe it! And it looks like he’s in okay shape. Of course still way worse than mine, even though I haven’t run in two weeks. But when I first saw him, he looked absolutely terrible. He’s looking much better now.

But the most shocking thing is, he’s apparently dating the Student Council President!

I never thought Madame Presideaf would find herself a boyfriend. She’s the meanest girl in the world. I thought she’d be single forever. How can anybody tolerate such a jerk? And yet, of all people, it’s Hisao who’s dating her!

On the other hand, they look really happy together. It looks like they’re racing each other on the track. Somehow I feel jealous of them.

Reminds me of my ex-boyfriend. We were chasing each other on the track too. We had a great time together. He loved me a lot.

We broke up because I kept shutting him down whenever we talked about family. I... squandered a chance. I didn’t treasure him enough. Mom always says I’m stubborn. I guess I am, in a sense.

But everything’s water under the bridge now. Better move on and not dwell on the past. Let’s continue my stretching and forget about inflammation and studies and boyfriends and everything in today’s run.

Oh, they seem to notice my presence.

“Hey Emi!”

That asshole says hi to me. I thought he forgot about me already.

“Oh, hi Hisao. I thought you forgot my name already.”

“How can I forget the name of the girl who bumped into me on my first week here?”

He said it with a joking voice. I don’t think he’s blaming me or anything, but I pout anyway.

“But you forgot about something else. You forgot to join my morning runs. I had to run alone for half a year. It’s all your fault!”

The asshole scratches his head. His hair is still the same, with a bit of stray hair sticking out on his left side. Does he ever comb his hair?

“I’m sorry. I joined the Student Council, and I was always busy with the activities, so I couldn’t run with you.”

“Thanks to you, I had to pay Rin 500 yen. I thought you would continue running with me. But you disappointed me!”

I just realized he’s speaking while making signs. Of course, the President is deaf, so he has to translate. Oh, the President is signing now.

[...]

“Shizune, the Student Council President, says hi. She says it’s partially her fault that I cannot run with you. There are only three Student Council members, so work has been extremely busy. She hopes that you would at least appreciate the Student Council services.”

“Oh hi, President. I didn’t know you would run on the track too. I’ve never seen you here before.”

The President adjusts her glasses.

[...]

“Yes, we started running only two weeks ago. To keep both of us healthy and ready for the upcoming exams!”

Oh shit, don’t talk about those damn exams! I have to change the topic.

“Oh I see. So... Hisao, I suppose you two are... dating?”

To my surprise, instead of admitting it right away, Hisao takes a quick look at the President, who turns her face away from me.

“Erm... We’re... just good friends. We’re both in the Student Council, you see.”

Hisao is so easy to tease!

“Hahaha...”

The two look so embarrassed!

“I’m sorry... I just can’t resist... I’m just joking. Hisao, I don’t know, but if I were you, I would be very careful around the President. She’s the President after all!”

The President looks angry. I’m making it too far.

[...]

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“I’m sorry... I’m just teasing you two... Anyway, I’ve got to run. You two have fun!”

And I dash towards the track without even waiting for their reply.

I can’t believe Hisao actually waited until I finish my run. Does he want to talk to me?

“Enjoyed your run, Emi?”

“Sure did!”

“Hey, I just want to say, I’m sorry for not joining your runs and make you pay Rin 500 yen. I disappointed you. Maybe we can treat you lunch later?”

Compared to the last time he talked to me, Hisao’s definitely grown up a bit. Being the President’s boyfriend surely isn’t easy.

“Nah, that’s water under the bridge.”

“Shizune asks me to tell you that we’ll be here running every afternoon. She invites you to join us.”

“Hmm... I’ll think about it. I prefer to run alone. Besides, I’m way faster than you two. I’m the Fastest Thing on No Legs, you know.”

“Yeah, I heard it from Miki. By the way, congratulations for getting gold medals in the Track Meet. She told me this.”

“Oh, you know her too?”

“Yes, we’re in the same class after all. I’m a good friend of Miki and her group.”

“You’re making a lot of friends now, aren’t you?”

“I guess so. By the way, how’s Rin doing? I heard from Shizune that she transferred to Tokyo after holding an art gallery.”

“That’s right. She left Yamaku before the end of the break. I still contact her regularly though. Looks like she’s enjoying her time there.”

“I see. Well, after graduation I’ll be moving back to my hometown of Chiba if I can get into my favorite university. Maybe I can visit Rin’s school on a weekend.”

“What university are you aiming for?”

“Kasshoku. Shizune and I are trying to get in. Also aiming at this school are Lilly, Hanako, and Naomi.”

“You mean the tall blonde and her shy friend?”

“That’s right. I really hope all of us can get in. We’ll have to study super hard though. How about you? Any university plans?”

“Nah, I’ll be a physical trainer in a college nearby.”

“I see. That means I won’t have many chances to talk to you. You definitely should join us.”

“Uhm... I’ll think about it.”

“Alright. I’m going to have dinner with the Student Council now. I promised to treat Misha a parfait tonight. Hope to see you tomorrow.”

“See ya.”

Although I’m probably not seeing him tomorrow.

No, I’m not running with those two. I prefer to run alone.

He really changed a lot though.

Hisao and the Student Council President. What an interesting pair.

“Hey Sunshine, I told you not to run to my office.”

“Hahaha...”

“What are you laughing at, Emi?”

“It’s so funny... I’ve got to tell you this...”

Chapter 18: Maximizing Efficiency
Last edited by ShizuneFan2019 on Sat May 02, 2020 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShizuneFan2019

Re: Precious Friendships (Shizune Bad End epilogue) (Chapter 15, Updated 24 Apr 2020)

Post by ShizuneFan2019 »

Chapter 18: Maximizing Efficiency

I take a quick glance towards the digital clock in front of me. It is now 9:45, which means I’ve got fifteen minutes left. I should have enough time to check my answers at least once.

I take another brief glance towards my blue-haired rival. It looks like she is doing the same. I really want to take this win!

Wow, what a find! I’ve left this multiple-choice question blank! I must have skipped it an hour ago. Now let’s tackle this problem again, and maybe make an educated guess. I should start by eliminating a couple of wrong choices…

As the timer goes down to zero seconds, the digital clock in front of me announces “time is up” with a blaring beep sound along with a series of red light flashes.

[Pens down!]

Obvious enough. I raise my hands up high, as if someone pointed a gun at me, to indicate I’m not cheating. Then I hand my paper to my rival for grading and walk towards the drinking booth to keep myself hydrated.

I’m glad to have bought these exercise books a few weeks ago, when I went to the city with Miki and her friends after the Mock Exams. I carefully selected the books because they include mock exam papers that closely resemble the format of the upcoming National Center Test. When I presented the books to Shizune in the Student Council last week, she instantly gave me a thumbs up, followed by a quick kiss on my cheek when I was least prepared. She grabbed the books from my hand, took a quick look, and suggested that we should complete these tests with a timer. The tests will provide us with a fairly accurate assessment on our study progress, and at the same time train us to be ready for the real deal. She then went straight to the photocopier to make a copy of the exam papers. Later that day, she went to a nearby store to buy this fancy digital clock with countdown function and red light as an exam timer. Buying such a fancy clock just for exam preparations seems a bit over the top, but I appreciate her seriousness.

We have completed four exam papers so far, and this Japanese Literature exam is the fifth. I handily won the contests on Math and Physics, but I lost in English (obviously) and Japanese History. I really don’t want to lose this one, because I expect to lose in Ethics which is her strongest subject. If I win this test, we’ll at least break even. Since the other two subjects we study are different (Shizune takes Economics and Finance), the contest will be a best of six.

Refilling my water bottle, I can see my ex-girlfriend carefully grading our exam papers with the marking scheme. How can she be so focused even after a grueling two-hour exam session?

Originally we would like the tests to be a three-way competition, but unfortunately Misha has to spend most of the mornings and afternoons on her mandatory supplementary classes, and she has a teacher training with Mutou at night, so we’re forced to make this contest head-to-head.

Misha attending supplementary classes means that the President and I are now study partners in the Student Council room. We started studying together since the day we are exempted from classes, which was two days after the release of the Mock Exam results. The Student Council room, with Shizune and the new Student Council duo being the only students possessing the keys to its door, is the perfect place to study, so we quickly decided that this will be our “base of operation”. We made a promise to each other not to touch the numerous board games in the room in order to save our energy and brain power on exam preparations.

She’s still grading while I take my water break. I once offered to grade the papers for her, but she quickly rejected, claiming that I’m not qualified to do so. I wonder what qualifies one to be a grader. I could have challenged her qualification, but I’d rather take a rest.

The Student Council President has set up a strict timetable for both of us: Breakfast at 7pm, study from 8am to noon with a short break in between, lunch made by second-year students, study from 2pm to 4pm, afternoon run, dinner with Misha, study from 7pm to 9pm, then sleep. She claimed that the schedule is designed based on a military training timetable. It’s a tight schedule, but I’m enjoying it. We’ve run this timetable for two weeks now, and I’ve already made significant improvements on my weaker subjects.

The President also requested Misha to join our training once her classes are over, which will be the end of next week. We will have one week of hardcore studying. Then I will bring the girls back home to spend Christmas together before returning school for the final stretch. Misha raised the idea of visiting Shizune’s Saitama mansion for Christmas, but the daughter of Kanata man instantly rejected her friend’s proposal because she doesn’t want the Katana to brutally slice our holiday into pieces. She’s probably still angry with her father about their argument here the other day. Since Misha’s home is across the other side of the globe, it seemed like my home was the only feasible choice. So I called my parents in front of the two girls to see if they will be available during Christmas. Upon mentioning the names of my two neighbors, they were thrilled and promised to give us a surprise if the girls do come. The pink head happily accepted the offer with a dance, while my ex-girlfriend simply adjusted her glasses to indicate yes.

Speaking of my ex-girlfriend… Except for dinner time, when Misha joins in, for the past three weeks I have mostly spent my time with the President alone. We study together, we have all three meals together, and we run together. I’m getting melted into her lifestyle. We didn’t do anything weird (except that kiss she just gave me), but we’re already living like a couple. She has started to become my comfort zone, and I certainly don’t mind spending the rest of my life with this girl. True, she’s extremely strict and competitive, but if anything her personality helps me. Her attitude on money poses a huge impact on my values. She keeps reminding me to work hard, earn scholarships, and find a well-paid job to relieve my family’s financial deficit. She’s such an adorable lady.

I hope we can resume our relationship after the end of the exams, and I hope my parents won’t oppose us. My dad seems to like her, but I don’t know about my mom. We might need to worry about communication. I certainly cannot expect my parents to learn sign language. I hope my potential mate can come up with something.

The authoritarian is finally finished with her grading. She got 87, and I got 83. I lost the race. It’s 3-2 in her favor, and she’s definitely winning the Ethics exam.

[I win!]

The dominant cat signs emphatically before adjusting her glasses triumphantly.

[Congratulations!]

[You didn’t do too poorly. You’re an honorable opponent.]

We shake hands to acknowledge each other. Despite the loss, I’m happy to score 8 points more than my Mock Exam result.

I also recorded improvements on my other subjects. I had 70 in Japanese History and an amazing 58 points in English, while keeping my level in Math and Physics.

[I’m happy that I’ve improved since the Mock Exam.]

My harsh classmate is, of course, not allowing me to celebrate for such a small step forward. Strict, but it makes a lot of sense. The Center Test can decide our future.

[But you need to study harder in order to get the scholarships! Especially your English!]

Yeah, the scholarship is on the line too. I’d never thought about it if my class rep didn’t suggest me to go for it. But I know that getting like an 80 in English is an unreachable goal for me.

[I’ll try to get an acceptable score in English, and focus on getting better scores in the Entrance Exams. All the papers in the Entrance Exams are my strong subjects, so hopefully the results can pull some weight in my favor.]

My partner seems to acknowledge my strategy.

[Makes sense. Now we’ll take a break, then start preparing for tomorrow’s Ethics exam. I’m up 3-2 now. If you win, we’ll break even; if I score higher, then I’ll win the race!]

As if I had a chance to win that one.

[Sure. But I’m actually going to meet the Nurse now.]

The default winner of the race covers her mouth with her hand as a gesture of “I forgot”!

[I forgot you have an appointment with him today. Sorry, too focused on the exams.]

Having a study partner so focused on exams is a blessing. I would never have such a groupmate in my previous high school. Maybe Yamaku is indeed a disguised blessing for me after all.

[No problem. I’ll be back soon.]

When the Nurse checks my heartbeat, the cold stethoscope piece makes me shiver every time it touches my body. I hope that my shivering doesn’t affect the readings. I know nothing about doctors, and I hate visiting doctors ever since my fateful life-changing accident, so I can only assume that doctors can ignore my shivering (and the accompanying increased heart rate) and give me an accurate assessment.

“You can put your shirt back on.”

I obey as he gives me a wicked smile. I guess this means I passed?

“So… Did it sound okay?”

The usually stern Nurse approves my health with a satisfying nod.

“You surprised me, Hisao. I haven’t seen you for months, and you actually came back in a much better shape.”

I try to maintain a normal posture during my forced conversation with the man in white cloak.

“Thank you.”

“I heard that you’ve been running in the afternoons.”

“Yes. I started running a few weeks ago. How did you know?”

Still with his stethoscope on hand, the horrible joker gives me a mysterious wink, followed by another evil smile.

“I had my sources.”

Of course I know the source. There’s only one possible candidate.

“Has to be Emi, am I right?”

His trademark maniacal laugh means my guess is, unsurprisingly, bull’s-eyed.

“Hahaha… You’re sharp, Hisao. Indeed, Emi was the one who told me about you. She also revealed to me that you were running with the Student Council President, eh?”

Oh my gosh. I can see this discussion turning wrong very quickly. Let’s downplay the incident as much as possible.

“Yeah, the President wanted the Student Council to stay healthy during the exam period, so she asked me to run with her. Then we ran into Emi in the sports field the other day. We invited her to join us, but she declined, preferring to run alone instead.”

Another maniacal laugh. I prefer leaving this office as soon as possible, although staying behind and listening to his stupid jokes, if any, for a few minutes is fine as long as he doesn’t mention my relationship with my running partner.

“Hahaha… That Emi, stubborn as always. Anyway, any flutters or irregularities during your run?”

This one I can answer frankly. Thanks for kindly dropping the Shizune topic.

“The first few days were very rough for me. My heart was pounding very hard, and I felt a bit dizzy. Everything subsided after a while though. Since the beginning of the second week I haven’t felt any discomfort.”

Admittedly I’m quite proud of the answers I give. And his approving response is even more satisfying to me.

“Hmm. That’s good to hear. How about your eating and sleeping habits?”

“The President gave me very strict orders on my lifestyle. I’m having oatmeal as breakfast, cooked salmon at least twice a week, and zero fried food. I have to sleep before 11pm, otherwise she would remind me with her cell phone.”

She just calls my number, and then disconnects. Several times I wanted to sleep a bit late, but then I decided to obey her orders because she said she trusts me.

Another wicked wink. I need to find an excuse to leave before potential disaster strikes me.

“Excellent. I’m glad you’ve been obeying the President’s orders. Keep it up, okay?”

Whether this is a pointed question or not, I need to stay away from danger.

“Sure. May I go now?”

The Nurse raises an eyebrow, potentially smelling something suspicious. It’s a possibility that he already knows what happened between me and Shizune, if Mutou secretly shares the information with him.

“Are you in a hurry?”

“Yes. I need to go back to study with the President. Excuse me.”

“Hahaha…”

I quickly run out of the office and close the door as the Nurse laughs again. I know it’s probably impolite to do so without a proper goodbye, but I feel threatened every second I stay in his office.

But thanks for not prying over my private life, sir. And thanks for not producing any awful joke of yours. It is exam season, so maybe the Nurse gets more serious too.

I wonder how Emi can get along with this jerk.

As I’m about to enter the academic building to meet up with my study partner, I hear somebody call my name.

“Hey Hisao!”

I turn around, and my eyes find the familiar face of a lady friend. I haven’t met her in a few weeks, having spent most of my time in the Student Council room. Despite her energetic greeting, she doesn’t look too well physically. I hope my presence cheers her up a little bit.

“Hey Miki, how’s going?”

“Taking a break from the supplementary classes.”

It’s time to change up my tone to casual. When I talk to Miki, I always talk in a different style. As I said before, talking to Miki is like talking to myself.

“Rough?”

“Rough, Tough, Jigglyp… never mind.”

Based on our conversation a few weeks ago, she probably feels rough just sitting through the class rather than understanding the lectures. I can imagine that being forced to sit through a lecture you have absolutely no interest in is an ordeal. You can watch the soccer match below or dating couples on the hill through the classroom window, but you can never be a part of these fun activities because of a stupid class. You start kicking yourself for not scoring higher in the Mock Exams, but then when you turn back to the classroom, all the unrecognizable formulas on the blackboard force you to realize that your fate is unavoidable anyway.

“I can feel for ya. So many years of schoolwork compressed in just a month.”

The sportswoman shrugs hopelessly.

“So, what brings you here, boy?”

It’s obvious she doesn’t even want to talk about schoolwork.

“Study in the Student Council room.”

“Hakamichi?”

“Yeah.”

Raising her lone hand, it looks like she wants to say something, but decides to wave me goodbye instead.

“Good luck. See you around, boy.”

Unintentionally copying her gesture, I raise my hand to try to say something before resorting to mimic her wave.

“See you around, Miki.”

But I don’t immediately turn around. I want to say something, and she wants to say something too.

Our friendship. I want to bring it up one more time. But schoolwork is a sensitive topic for her. I don’t want to touch her weakness without her permission.

Considering my busy schedule with Shizune, I might not have another chance to talk to Miki before the Center Test. I can’t wait until after the exams, as it would be too late.

My stumped classmate uncharacteristically starts fidgeting; perhaps she also realizes that we don’t have much time left. She then breathes out a long sigh before deciding to re-establish communication.

“Mind help me with one thing, boy?”

I try my best to sound nonchalant.

“Fire it.”

“Tell me how I can pass the Center Test.”

Upon hearing these words, I instantly let out a sigh of relief in my heart. So she cares about her friendship with me and Suzu after all.

“So you’re actually trying to pass the test?”

“Took your advice, just as you took mine.”

I’m so glad that she manages to take my advice. But how can I help her? This girl hasn’t been studying since forever.

You only have two months left. And I doubt you’re truly listening to the added classes. Passing the Center Test from this point seems impossible.

Don my thinking cap. What’s the most efficient way of studying? Think back my studying experience with Shizune. We’ve gone through five exams together. What skills did I train up from all the studying sessions?

Oh, right! It’s impossible to get a high score, but with some exam skills, obtaining a pass might be possible with some luck!

“I know what to do. Find Suzu. Ask her to give you her exercise books.”

“Which ones?”

“You forgot? The ones we bought in the city. They have mock papers.”

“Mock exams?”

“Yup. Study them. They resemble the Center Test questions. With some luck you might be able to pass.”

“Really?”

“I’ve tried a few of them already. I found myself improving a lot. You don’t have time to cram textbooks. Just study those papers. They’ll give you the most points with a minimum effort. Or ‘maximize your efficiency’ if you speak Physics.”

“No I don’t. Heard from Mutou in the class though. What’s the formula again?”

“Output power divided by input power, multiplied by 100 percent.”

“That’s not too bad. But if I take Suzu’s books, what will she study with?”

“Silly. Just photocopy them.”

Suzu’s best friend attempts the “I never thought about that” gesture of putting both hands onto her head, before failing it due to having only one hand.

“You’re a genius, boy.”

“Take the first few papers to study. Leave the last one or two untouched. You’ll need them to test yourself after you study everything.”

The girl who just got herself a goal to live for nods in agreement.

“Thanks, Hisao. Any more tips?”

I can certainly share with you my training result, if it means prolonging our friendship for at least a few more years.

“Of course. You can take a lot of free points in Multiple Choice questions if you use the correct strategies. Take Math as an example. When the question asks you to solve an equation, you don’t need to solve it. Just plug the numbers in the choices back into the equation to check it.”

“That’s smart! I never knew this strategy.”

“Also, you can cross out a couple of wrong answers without doing calculations. For example, if the answer is clearly an acute angle, you can eliminate answers that are larger than 90 degrees. You essentially turn questions that you can’t figure out from a 1-in-4 guess into a 1-in-2 guess. This is called educated guess. Statistically you increase your chance from 25% to 50%, or simply double your score if you don’t know what I’m talking about.”

“The statistic part lost me, but the last sentence is music in my ears.”

“Also, many long questions are separated into several parts. You don’t need to do the whole thing. If you don’t know one part, you can try the next part. You can even use the answer given from the previous part to pick up easy points in the next part. If you pick up, for example, two easy points from each of five long questions, you increase your score by 10. That’s a whopping 10% of the whole paper. If you get 40 more points in the easy questions, you pass the test. Not a tall ask at all.”

“Wow. You saved me. I wanna kiss you, but I can’t.”

I don’t think I’ll be your boyfriend any time soon, but I appreciate your gratuity.

“Meh. You passing your exam is my reward.”

The girl who’s smart in things other than academics throws me a wink.

“I’ll ask the President to kiss you then.”

I roll my eyes on the girl who should have used her wits in studies.

“Not official yet.”

She wags a finger to indicate she’s ignoring the formality.

“You two will be fine. Thanks anyway. I’ll try to pass.”

Thanks for giving the two of us your blessings. I definitely need it.

“Sure. I’m heading back to study. See ya.”

Oh no, I’ve exposed myself too long away from my base of operation. The general must be furious with me.

Unsurprisingly, I’m met by an angry gold wristwatch when I enter the room.

[What keeps you so long?]

I’ll try, probably in vain, hiding my encounter with Miki.

[The Nurse keeps telling me crazy jokes!]

My boss folds her hands and stares daggers at me. Yup, she doesn’t buy it. Fine, I’ll speak the truth. At least I tried.

[Alright, alright. I met Miki downstairs. She asked me for advice to pass the Center Test. Miki! Studying for the Center Test! Isn’t this big news?]

The President responds by having her mouth wide open in shock. Her expression is both hilarious and satisfying.

[Really? Miura?]

Ha! You don’t see that coming, do you?

[That’s right!]

My potential future girlfriend now has her eyes sparkling with admiration.

[You managed to convince her to study?]

[Yeah. She took my advice from earlier, asking me how to pass the test. I told her to study the mock exam papers and offered her a few tips. That’s where the delay came from.]

I love how her furious sharp stare gradually transforms into a big smile over this conversation.

[I spent so much time last year trying to make her study. And you did it within a couple of months? You’re amazing!]

For the second time of the month, I receive a kiss on my cheek. Well, Miki did say she’d ask the President to kiss me for her. She kind of did that already without actually doing it.

[Don’t be so excited just yet.]

Now what?

My study rival hands me a pile of English exercise books apparently borrowed from the library.

[Remember I told you the other day that I’ll give you some punishments?]

Oh no! She actually remembered! I thought if I don’t say anything, she’ll eventually forget.

[Do these in the weekend.]

Naturally I have to groan in disappointment.

[No way...]

[No arguing. Deadline is next Monday.]

[Then how about Misha?]

[I’ll give her Math exercise books after she comes back from the supplementary classes.]

Man, the President surely knows our weaknesses well. But given what we did to her, there’s obviously no room for complaints.

[Alright then. I’ll do it.]

Well, as painful as the exercises are, at least they will probably give me a boost in English score. Anyway, Ethics here we go.

Chapter 19: No Arguing

Last edited by ShizuneFan2019 on Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
ShizuneFan2019

Re: Precious Friendships (Shizune Bad End epilogue) (Chapter 17, Updated 29 Apr 2020)

Post by ShizuneFan2019 »

Chapter 19: No Arguing!

Pfft! My brain’s gonna get overheated if I stay in the classroom any longer!

I can’t take it any more! Let’s go somewhere else. Preferably an empty room, but any room is fine, just not the classroom.

Hey~ How ‘bout this one? I haven’t been here for a long time, and it’s empty now. I almost never visit this room because Shicchan despises it. Of course, not because of the tea, but because of the person who usually occupies this room. But Shicchan is not here, so why not enjoy a cup of tea to relieve myself of the pressure from all the Math~?

Speaking of Shicchan, I’ve been seeing her a bit less lately. She’s now usually studying with Hicchan in the Student Council room. I have supplementary classes all day, and I usually take breaks in the garden instead of interfering with their timed exams. As a result, I only see her during dinner time and weekends. Life has become simple, and also monotone, without my best friend around.

The lovebirds told me that their revisions are in good progress. I, however, really need to study harder in order to get a passing grade in the upcoming Center Test.

I hate Math! I failed Math in my Mock Exam!

Seriously! Why do I need to study the properties of circles? I don’t need to solve quadratic equations in daily life, and who the heck invented logarithms? Trigonometry might have some practical uses, but I’m not pursuing any kind of career around triangles~!! I hate the fact that you need to get a passing grade on something totally unrelated just to obtain an entry ticket to study your favorite subject in university and make a career out of it. But that’s our education system.

Enough rambling. Let’s make myself some tea~.

I wonder why the room is empty! I mean, this is a great place for studying! Is everybody else hiding in their dorm rooms or the library? The fact that this place is deserted is absurd. Anyway, let’s pick a red teabag and boil some hot water.

And within minutes, my red tea is ready to be served.

Ooh… This tea is soooooooo relaxing!

Close my eyes and relax. Forget about academics. Don’t think about Student Council. Keep my thoughts away from sign language teaching. Just enjoy a moment of myself and my tea. Luckily, I’m pretty good at spacing out.

My supplementary classes will be done very soon. After that, I’ll get myself a parfait. Then, it’s Christmas! Yay~~

I hear footsteps coming closer. Before I’m able to determine whether they are just passing by or entering the room, I hear the door opening. And, quite surprisingly, my eyes find my familiar stray-haired neighbor.

“Hi Misha!”

Well, that’s all for my spacing out session.

“Oh, hi Hicchan~!!”

Why would Shicchan’s study partner be here? Shouldn’t he be in the middle of a timed exam session?

“Drinking tea, huh?”

Why is he not looking surprised? Oh yeah, he doesn’t know the fact that I seldom come here. He told me he talked to Licchan here the other day, but he probably won’t be able to link Licchan’s frequent presence in this room with my small number of visits.

“Wahahahaha… Yup~~!! Gotta cool down from all that Math! How ‘bout you?”

Without the need of sign language in our talk, Hicchan heads straight towards the boiler instead of facing me.

“I’m getting tea for Shizune and myself. We’ve just finished another mock exam.”

Ah~! So they’re taking a break.

“Which subject~?”

“Japanese History. I lost again, but I got 76, which is 6 points more than the last time. I must win the next contest in Japanese Literature if I wanna secure a tie.”

I can’t help but smile in heart. Hicchan’s getting so competitive now.

“You lost the last race, didn’t you?”

“Yeah. It was 4-2. Although if we count the average score we’re actually tied.”

I casually take a sip of my tea while Hicchan makes tea for the two. I was about to remind my clubmate not to pick Licchan’s favorite tea brand for Shicchan when he pulls out two green teabags out from the box.

“You two are studying really hard~! You’ll get into Kasshoku with no problems~~.”

The ex-boyfriend clears his throat and gives me a serious look. Oops~ I spoke the wrong thing.

“Ahem. Misha, we’re aiming at the scholarship.”

“Wahahahaha!!! Of course, you’re aiming high, aren’t you?”

Instead of giving me the obvious reply, my diligent neighbor finishes his tea preparation and is about to leave the room. Awwww~ He doesn’t have time to drink with me

“By the way, Shizune reminds you to join us next week. We’ll have mock tests together. No rejection is allowed.”

Oh no. I was trying to avoid this. I thought if I didn’t mention it, Shicchan would eventually drop the suggestion. Looks like she’s not gonna spare me after all. But I’ll try to resist as much as possible.

“Hmm… I… I…”

Hicchan turns around with his two teacups, looking surprised by my hesitation.

“What’s wrong?”

“I… I dunno…”

My probable Christmas study partner puts down the teacups, closes the door, and sits down next to me.

“What’s wrong, Misha? You don’t want to study with us?”

Yeah, Shicchan kissing you in front of me makes me envy.

“Hicchan~~ I… dunno… I just feel like I’ll be… bothering you two if I join-”

“Stop, Misha. We really want you to join us. I know what you’re thinking. You don’t wanna stand between me and Shizune, do you? The thing is, your presence actually makes my friendship with Shizune stronger, because we have more things to talk about. If anything, I think I’ve spent enough time with Shizune alone already. If you don’t join us, Shizune won’t be happy, and I’ll feel dejected too. This will hurt my relationship with Shizune. So please, study with us.”

Is Hicchan guilt-tripping me?

“But I’m so far behind-”

“That’s why you’re joining us. If you study alone, you’re not getting through the Center Test. It’s fine trailing behind, as you’ll be improving along with us.”

“But-”

My clubmate snaps his fingers hard. I flinch because I never expect him to do so!

“No arguing. We expect your presence at eight o’clock in the Student Council room next Monday. Eight in the morning.”

The lovebirds are talking so much alike now. I can’t stop giggling in heart. Oh well, I knew I had no way out. Might as well accept the reality and see where things go.

“Hehehe… Alright then~~. I’ll be there~!”

“Good. See you tonight.”

The ex-boyfriend opens the door, grabs his teacups, and exits the room, most likely hurrying to start the next mock exam.

I love the way Hicchan said “no arguing”. Exactly the same as his ex-girlfriend, except that he has a voice to accompany it. I guess they are meant to be together.

The bell rings, which means my break is over. With a pair of exhausted eyes and a stuffed brain, I clean the teacup up and drag myself back into the classroom for a Physics session by none other than my homeroom teacher.

Unsurprisingly, I start spacing out a couple of minutes, no, a couple of sentences, into the class.

Physics is soooooo booooooring!!! I hate these classes~~.

Sitting in front of Shicchan’s desk is Miki Miura. She’s taking notes. It’s rare to see her paying attention to classes, but this week she’s been very focused in classes. I asked Shicchan about this the other day. She told me that it was Hicchan’s effort. Not sure how he talked the stumped girl into studying. Sigh~ If even Miura starts studying, I really have to work twice as hard.

Yeah, force is mass times the difference between final velocity and initial velocity, then divided by time. I don’t think I’m ever using it in my sign language teaching career, even when I’m facing a student who studies Physics.

Sitting diagonally behind Shicchan’s desk is Ikezawa. After the accident in Kasshoku, she skipped all the classes except the Mock Exam days. She scored a terrible 26 in the exam. I know it because the scores are recorded in one of the documents in the Student Council room. Due to the poor results, she had to attend every supplementary class. She keeps her old habit of coming to class five minutes late and leaving class five minutes early, so I had no chance to even talk to her.

It’s such a pity that she returned to her old self after making a progress to reach out during the summer break. Hicchan told me that he and Licchan tried to help, but that didn’t work, so they had to rely on the school staff. Hopefully her therapist could do something about it.

And what is the unit of momentum again? Kilogram-meter per second?

The class is even more boring considering that neither Hicchan nor Shicchan are here. I don’t even have the opportunity to write and pass secret messages, and I have nobody to translate the lecture for.

Let’s think about dinner…

Today’s the last day of the supplementary classes. I can’t believe I made it through. You might ask how hard sitting through the classes could be, considering there’s no test at the end. But without my two best friends, studying topics unrelated to sign language teaching is an ordeal to me.

I’ll have to dive into these topics again next week, but at least I’ll have the Student Council with me, and maybe Hicchan can offer me a few exam tips so that I can limp through the exams with minimal studying hours.

When the last lesson is finally over, I can’t help but start a wild celebration.

“Hurray!!! Classes are over!!!”

I don’t care about the laughing of other students and Mutou’s glare. I just wanna leave this room right now!!! Bye Physics~! Bye Chemistry~! Bye Ethics~! At least for the coming weekend.

After picking up my stuff, I swiftly leave the academic building and head towards the pool, where I can hopefully wash away all the stress.

I used to swim in the morning, but in winter I swim in the afternoon because morning is too cold. Although the indoor swimming pool has warm water, it’s easy to catch a cold the moment you pull yourself up from the pool if the temperature is low, and with the exams around the corner I don’t want to risk it. What’s more, Hicchan and Shicchan have their runs in the afternoon, so it’s natural for me to do a separate exercise at the same time.

They invited me to join their runs, but I hate running. Not only because I’m fat, but my breasts keep bouncing up and down while running, and this is so annoying~~. I don’t know how Shicchan, who has a similar breast size, manages to run without problems. Anyway, I rejected their offer and instead swim alone in the afternoon.

Upon entering the dressing room, I promptly change into my swimsuit, and do the stretching inside the room because there are heaters here. Nobody is here, and none of the lockers are in use, so I’ll be pretty much swimming in a private pool. With such good service, you can’t say the expensive school fee isn’t worth it.

After the stretching, I put on my goggles, enter the main area, and jump into the pool. Splash!! Warm up is always 400 meters freestyle.

I wonder what the lifeguard is doing in front of a virtually empty swimming pool. He must be bored to death.

This morning, Shicchan visited my dorm room and promised to treat me dinner in the Shanghai, as a small celebration for the end of my classes~. I’m ecstatic!! I’ll have parfait!! Thinking about my dessert makes me swim faster~~.

But next Monday will be…

Nah, forget about it. Enjoy what’s in front of me.

After swimming 2000 meters, I leave the pool (feeling a little sad that the lifeguard doesn’t even bother looking at me), take a shower, get dressed, and dry my hair up. Then I pack everything up and head towards the dorm room.

It’s now six o’clock. Their run should be over now. Time for me to change my clothes and meet them up at the front gate. The weather is fairly cool now, and the wind is getting strong after sunset, so I need to wear a jacket and a scarf, both pink in color. I’ll bring a pair of gloves just in case.

But when I arrive at the school gate, I’m surprised to see Shicchan waiting for me alone, wearing a blue scarf and a black jacket.

[Where’s Hicchan?]

[He’s not coming. Miura invited him over to dinner with her friends.]

I’m a bit disappointed not to see Hicchan in my little celebration party, but at least I get to spend time with Shicchan alone, which has became quite rare after our fallout a few months ago.

[He can’t come and celebrate with us? What a bummer!]

[He said that Miura also wanted to celebrate, and her friends are unavailable this weekend, so they decided to celebrate tonight.]

[Oh yeah, Miura attended the classes too~]

[But he promised to treat you tomorrow instead. We’ll go to the city. To take a break from studies and buy a few more exercise books.]

[Mock papers again?]

[The ones for the Entrance Exams. We figured that our performance in the mock papers is good enough to assume that we will easily pass the Center Test with merit, so it’s time to prepare for the Entrance Exams. At least in terms of hardware.]

[That’s so smart, Shicchan.]

[We’re targeting the scholarships after all. Let’s go. I’m starving after the run.]

The mere thought of joining a study group consisting of two mega strong candidates aiming for NOT only a pass, BUT also a scholarship, is terrifying. I would avoid it at all costs if they were not my best friends. And, no offense, but what are the odds of running into such a study group in a school of the disabled?

Shicchan has changed our lives. What a woman!

When we enter The Shanghai, the waitress who comes to greet us is not the usual Yuuko. We pick a seat near the corner and ask for a menu.

[Why is Yuuko not here?]

[She’s studying for the Entrance Exam.]

[Really? She’s applying university too?]

[Yes. I heard that she wants to study history? Somewhere along the lines of anthropology, I think.]

When the waitress gives us the menu, she looks a bit confused, probably because we’re using sign language, and she doesn’t know how to communicate with us. Usually this doesn’t happen because Yuuko knows us, but when Yuuko is absent, there may be some awkward moments. I’ll solve her worries though.

“Parfait for me!! As for Shicchan… Eh…”

I didn’t even look at the menu because I already decided my food last week. My life changer, however, seems to be reading the menu carefully.

[Shicchan, what do you want?]

[I’ll have beef ramen!]

“She wants beef ramen. Wait~!! Is it in the menu~?”

“Yes. What about drinks?”

“Orange juice!”

[What drink, Shicchan?]

[Green tea.]

“She’ll have green tea.”

After the waitress takes our orders and leaves, I turn to my dinner partner to ask about her order.

[I didn’t know they sell ramen here.]

[It’s new! It’s best for this season. I want something hot to eat!]

Awwww…

[I should’ve ordered ramen too…]

My upcoming study partner adjusts her glasses triumphantly.

[Look before you leap. Read the menu before ordering.]

Yeah, I’m dead lost. Shicchan always wins. Perhaps I can ask her to share some of her ramen with me, although she’ll probably ask me to do a few more mock exams next week in return.

How stupid am I to order a parfait in a cold winter? And orange juice too? Should’ve at least asked for a hot drink like hot chocolate!

I’m too obsessed with sugar! I need to put on a diet after today!

Or after the weekend. We’re going to the city tomorrow.

Come to think of it, why didn’t Shicchan stop me when I was ordering?

Oh yeah, I didn’t sign when I was ordering. She doesn’t know what I ordered.

Shicchan’s deafness could potentially become a problem when she enters university, especially when I’m not around as her interpreter. Hicchan is the only viable solution right now, but they’re studying different subjects. She’ll need to find a way to address her issues.

[How’s your study with Hicchan today?]

The Yamaku academic star smiles triumphantly while adjusting her glasses for the second time in the evening.

[I won again, 4-2.]

Yup. Hardly surprising outcome.

[Hicchan must be disappointed.]

[But he actually beat me in terms of average score, by two points. He even got 62 in English.]

[Wow! That’s a huge improvement!]

[Indeed. The training has paid off! To be honest, I’m proud of him. You’ll be joining the training too!]

Look at those admiring eyes from the President! She’s been looking up to her ex-boyfriend recently. I think he deserves it. He’s been doing so well these few months, so different from the gloomy transfer student we saw in his first weeks here. I think Shicchan’s eyes are fixed!

[Shicchan, you and Hicchan…]

The scholarship pursuer immediately snaps her fingers, so hard that even the customer several tables across turns around. But she ignores the stare to continue with her statement.

[Nope. I promised to leave it until the end of the exam period.]

Again, she’s quick to deny her feelings to the transfer student. Verbally. Well, at least I successfully stray the conversation away from next week’s study group.

[Alright then~.]

[Misha, remember to join us next week in the Student Council room. No arguing, no absence, no latency.]

Or so I thought. Oh well, I already knew there’s no escape. At least it’s for my own good. If I don’t pass, I can’t go to America.

[Hicchan reminded me two days ago. Don’t worry. I’ll show up.]

“Green tea. Orange juice. Please enjoy.”

Oh man, should’ve ordered the tea instead!

[Misha, congrats for surviving all the way through the supplementary classes.]

[Cheers~~]

[Cheers!]

Now that my friendship with the two Student Council members has restored, let’s enjoy some relaxing hours with them before tackling those stupid Physics formulas next week!

But first, let’s find a way to steal some ramen from my best friend!

Chapter 20: Fashion Show

Last edited by ShizuneFan2019 on Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
ShizuneFan2019

Re: Precious Friendships (Shizune Bad End epilogue) (Chapter 17, Updated 29 Apr 2020)

Post by ShizuneFan2019 »

Chapter 20: Fashion Show

This is the third time I travel by train with my two best friends. We got up before sunrise, boarded the train on time, and had Shizune-style breakfast in the train. Eager to take a break from studies, we decided to just chat in the train. The use of sign language, combined with Misha’s occasional bursts of laughter, inevitably draws the sights of several passengers. Everything looks pretty similar to the previous trip.

Among the similarities, two of them are most notable. First, I don’t have to be a pack mule again, as we’re traveling light; we did bring a couple of games with us, but we’re sharing the load this time. Second, Shizune is still not my girlfriend, even though I really want her to be. Still, I enjoy the trip a lot.

After a few hours of train and a bus ride, we arrive at our destination: My humble home. Looking at my watch, it’s now half an hour until noon. We’re right on schedule.

The last time I returned home was several weeks ago after the Kasshoku Open Day visit, and the two girls tagged along in that occasion as well. But since we arrived at 5:30 in the afternoon, we only stayed until 8pm, spending all the time in the living room enjoying dinner and chatting with my parents. That evening was fantastic for all of us, except for one small detail.

I never stepped into my room, which was quite suspicious considering that the last time I entered my room was more than half a year ago. Fortunately, the girls didn’t know about this fact.

To be accurate, I did lead the girls to the room door while giving them a tiny tour of my small humble home, but I never put my foot into it. I won’t say I deliberately avoided it, but I must admit I was somewhat reluctant to do so. That room is littered by forgettable memories of my past, and I wasn’t ready to face those memories last month.

But, realizing that I can’t dodge it forever, I’m determined to step into my room this time, and perhaps wipe out everything from the past if possible.

“Mom, dad, I’m back!”

The door springs open, and Mom welcomes my return with a spirited hug.

“Merry Christmas, Hicchan!”

Thanks for using my nickname again, Mom. As she releases the hug, Misha greets my parents cheerfully with a broad smile.

“Hi~ Merry Christmas, Mr. Hicchan’s dad and mom!”

I almost want to facepalm at my pink-haired friend’s overly casual greeting, which would certainly annoy, if not enrage, most parents in Japan. Misha, you’re lucky that my parents aren’t the strict type.

Come to think of it, she greeted my parents last time in the same way too. I probably should have educated her during the train ride, although I doubt any kind of education would have worked for her.

“Merry Christmas, Misha.”

Standing next to the pink-haired, my ex-girlfriend produces her best smile of the day and greets my parents with a standard bow. Then she signs in a graceful manner that is so different from those slicing fingers in our casual talks.

[Merry Christmas, Mr. and Mrs. Nakai.]

You should learn from your best friend, Misha.

Her manners are so proper that I don’t need to change her words during the translation. She’s been raised by a rich family after all. Unfortunately I can’t rectify Misha’s greetings because she speaks them out loud while signing.

“Shizune says Merry Christmas to you, formally.”

“What good manners! Merry Christmas, Shizune! Hey Hicchan, why don’t you bring the girls to your room and put down your bags?”

Well, here we go. Last time when we arrived, we put everything in the living room because we were hurrying for dinner, and we had practically no luggage besides our study notes. This time we carried board games, so it’s not as appropriate to leave everything on the floor.

“Sure.”

Taking a deep breath, I proceed to bring my Student Council companions to my room upstairs while trying my best not to show any emotions. While Misha keeps bouncing up and down through the stairs, Shizune has been walking like a “proper lady” since stepping into my home, much like what Lilly usually does in school. No wonder they are cousins.

“Welcome to my room. Please put everything in that corner.”

I haven’t been here for months, but it’s surprisingly clean. My parents probably helped me tidy up my room beforehand. The bed is made, and the surface of the wardrobe is clean. On my desk there is a photo frame of me with my friends in my previous high school. We were good friends back then.

Makes me wonder how they are doing.

Come to think of it, I haven’t taken photos of any kind with my two visitors. Today should be a perfect opportunity.

Misha casually picks up the photo frame I’m staring at, without my permission. Even though I don’t mind it, I wonder if she acts so casually only in front of me.

[“Are these your friends, Hicchan?”]

Forgettable memories of my past. I’d rather not talk about it, but it would be impolite to neglect my guests.

[“Shin, Mai, and Takumi. They were my friends in my previous high school.”]

[You look a bit chubby in the photo.]

[“Yeah. Ever since I went to the hospital, I lost quite a lot of weight.”]

The President gives me an apologetic look when I mention the hospital, which, of course, links to my life-changing accident.

[Sorry.]

Of course it’s not her fault. And I’m determined to wipe my past away as well. Perhaps I should put the photo frame away in the drawer. It’s unlikely that I’ll ever call my former friends again, and even if they manage to find me on the street, I might just wave them hi and go my own way.

[“No worries. On the other hand, I haven’t taken any photos with you two. How about we take one today?”]

My ex-girlfriend adjusts her glasses in excitement.

[Okay! We’ll take a photo in front of the Christmas tree downstairs!]

[“There’s a Christmas tree?”]

[You didn’t see it? It’s right at the corner in the living room!]

[“Really?? Let’s go!!”]

[“Wait!”]

Already sprinting halfway down the stairs, the overly casual guest of mine turns around in mild confusion when I step out of my room to call her.

[“Huh?”]

[“I’d like to spend a few minutes in my room. I never went inside for months.”]

[“Okay We’ll wait for you downstairs!!”]

She continues dashing towards the Christmas tree as the President and I watch on in amusement. We share a shrug and a smile.

[Take your time. I’ll be with her.]

[Thanks.]

Returning to my room, I close the door gently and take a good look at the room that feels so familiar yet also so strange. So familiar, because the layout is still the same, with all the furniture and even the posters still in their original positions. So strange, because it’s much tidier than I thought, especially the desk. Thanks, Mom, for all the effort.

I can still vaguely recall the state of my desk prior to my transfer to Yamaku. Apart from the small space reserved for homework, its surface is hidden by a mess of old projects, abandoned hobbies, and other junk including the pile of manga and anime discs given by Shin. But now, only the photo frame and the table lamp remain. I can’t help but admit this is a better arrangement of a desk, and I really have to thank Mom for the cleaning up. If Shizune had seen the messy version, she probably would’ve thought twice about being my girlfriend next year.

And about the top drawer, I believe it was half-open with the sleeve of an unfolded uniform shirt from my previous school hanging out. The day I left for Yamaku, I didn’t have time to refold it when my parents called me down, so I just tossed the shirt in and slammed the drawer shut without looking. Obviously it was an act of frustration. I don’t want to imagine how Shizune would respond to the “before-Yamaku” version of the drawer. She probably would have forced me to tidy up all the drawers in the Student Council room for the rest of the semester.

Opening the drawer, I find… a big folder? I’ve never seen it before.

Taking out the green folder carefully, I move it to the desk and gently flip it open.

The first page stores my elementary school graduation certificate.
The second page contains the graduation photo.
The following few pages have the exam transcripts of the six years of my elementary school.
Followed by the certificates of me winning a few small-scale contests, including a Math competition and a science project.
Then photos of my class in the previous high school, followed by the transcripts.

In other words, the folder contains a summary of my history. The exact history that I want to wipe out today. I wonder if Mom deliberately arranged the documents such that everything related to my previous high school is at the back.

Sigh… This “history” of mine looks really lame. Nothing really stands out. I need to do better from now on.

But thanks Dad and Mom for taking the time from their busy work schedule to sort everything out for me. Let’s put it back into the drawer instead of throwing it away. As long as I don’t read it, I can block myself from my pitiful memories.

How about storing the photo frame in the drawer too?

Nah, let’s replace it with a picture of the Student Council after we take it downstairs. Oh yeah, everybody is waiting for me. I should go.

Carefully closing the drawer instead of slamming it shut, I open the door and step out of those pathetic memories. Let’s move forward along with my friends.

“Wahahahaha!!! Really~~???”

“Yup, that’s our Hicchan alright!”

Oops, looks like Mom is spoiling my childhood secrets to my guests. I need to stop her before they can collect enough blackmail materials to force me to do all the work for the Student Council until graduation.

[“It looks like you guys are having fun!”]

Mom gives me a big smile when I arrive at the living room standing behind Shizune’s chair.

“We are, dear! Your two classmates are really fun to talk to! Hey Hicchan, we promised to give you three a surprise! Look, here are your Christmas presents!”

From behind the sofa, Mom takes out three present boxes with fancy wrappings. An ecstatic Misha spins herself around with arms raised high.

[“Yay Present for Misha Thank you so much Mrs. Hicchan’s mom!!!”]

I’ll try educating her once, in sign language, but with no expectation of it working.

[Misha, it’s “Mrs. Nakai”.]

[“Oh~~ Um… Do you want me to call you Mrs. Nakai instead?”]

Mom laughs heartily at the inquiry from my “student”. Well, it worked better than I thought. I expected her to ignore my comment completely.

“You can just call me auntie, you know.”

That’s a creative way to solve the problem.

[“Alright auntie. What’s my present gonna be~??”]

“Here you go. You can unwrap it now.”

The happy girl carefully unwraps her present as all four of us watch on. It’s a nice warm jacket, in her favorite color of pink.

“Hicchan told me that you’re going to America soon. It gets cold in winter over there, and everything is a lot more expensive. This jacket should keep you warm. There’s a hood attached too.”

Misha gleefully puts on her new jacket on top of her Bush Cheney 2004 shirt. It fits her perfectly. I wonder how my parents managed to know their sizes. They only met them once.

[“Wow~!! It looks soooooo cool! Thanks so much auntie!!”]

As silly this girl is, her energetic way of talking and exaggerating gestures have the effect of lightening up the atmosphere. How different this visit would be without her presence!

Satisfied by Misha’s gratitude, my parents turn towards my deaf friend.

“Shizune, this is our present for you. Hicchan, here’s yours!”

Rising from her seat, the President makes a “proper lady” bow before receiving her present. I wonder what’s inside.

“Try them out. See if they fit.”

So they bought us clothes as well.

We unwrap our presents carefully. Mine is a set of sports clothing, with white shirt, black trousers, and deep blue jacket. Shizune receives a set of formal clothing with white shirt, black dress, and black suit.

“Shizune, you study business, don’t you? You’ll need to make presentations from time to time, so you’ll need this. Hicchan, you’ll need to perform exercises to stay healthy, so I’d like you to wear these during your workout.”

“Thanks mom. I’ll treasure it.”

“Why not both of you try them out now? If they don’t fit, we can exchange for another size.”

The future businesswoman bows once again and proceeds to gracefully walk towards the restroom upstairs. I should get changed in my room.

So, back to the history room I go. White shirt and black trousers. Hmm… Looking at the mirror, I do look quite stylish in my sports outfit. Perhaps Mom also wants me to move on from my dismal past with a new outfit.

Presents for each one of us. That’s a lot of money from my parents. How did they get so much money?

A couple of clear knocks on the door tell me the future businesswoman is done with her changing, which is confirmed when I open the door.

[Have you finished?]

[Yeah, come in.]

The President steps into my room and scans me from top to bottom. Adjusting her glasses, my Yamaku boss produces a satisfying smile.

[You look great! Your parents picked things right!]

Meanwhile, I’m also staring at her because she’s looking extremely gorgeous in her suit. The black-and-white theme suits her perfectly. The white shirt shows off her excellent curvature, and her dress couples well with her stockings. I’m sure every man in the world would instantly fall in love with her.

[How do I look?]

[You’re absolutely amazing.]

She stands next to me in front of the mirror. We look like a pair of fashion models. Satisfied with our outfits, the President grabs my arm and pulls me downstairs to show off our presents in front of my parents.

I enjoy the body contact, by the way.

“Look at them, hubby!”

“Hmm… Very nice indeed.”

[“You two look so cool~]

[“Thanks for the gift again. I can’t believe you bought me this.”]

“We love you Hicchan. Study hard and pass your exams.”

Even though we don’t get to see each other often, especially now that I’m in a school that is miles away from home, I can still feel their love towards me whenever I return home. I should give them a few more phone calls. Short ones will suffice. As they just said, I need to focus on schoolwork.

[“I will. I’m studying very hard with Shizune and Misha. I’m confident I’ll be in Kasshoku University in April.”]

The girl in suit points towards the corner of the living room.

[Let’s take a photo under the Christmas tree.]

Oh yeah, the Tsu-ree*. It’s full of decorations with sticks, presents, and balls. At the top is a big yellow star. With the lights on, the Christmas tree is sparkling beautifully in an otherwise extremely boring living room.

[“Oh, I forgot about the photo. How did you get this Tsu-ree?”]

Mom grins triumphantly with a V-sign.

“Isn’t it pretty? I spent a lot of time on it last weekend.”

[“It is. Let’s take a photo under the tree. Misha, let’s go.”]

We stand under the sparkling tree, showing off our clothes together. I stand in the middle, Shizune on my right side, and Misha on my left. Mom happily takes out her camera. A group photo of the Yamaku Student Council!

“Say Cheese!”

This photo should be a nice substitute to the one upstairs.

I just realized that I already forfeited my rights of translating for Shizune to Misha when I left them in the living room. Oh no! I hope my pink-haired friend didn’t do any damage!

While the girls are playing trumps upstairs in my room (Shizune wanted to bring Risk, but we outvoted her because we need to save our brain power on the exams instead), I go down to the kitchen to talk to Mom, who is almost done with her lunch preparations.

“Hey mom, thanks for the presents. You shouldn’t spend so much money on us. We don’t have much money, and my medical expenses are not cheap.”

Mom looks surprised at my caring words, which implies I wasn’t that caring towards my family. Yeah, I admit I was a bad kid. Well, I wasn’t necessarily bad, but I had been really negative throughout my childhood years. Three guesses who changed my life? Shin, my former classmate who was constantly trying to draw me into his world of anime? Nope. Mai, the rebellious friend who always banters with me? Nope. Shizune, the deaf girl who dragged me into the Student Council? Bingo, that’s right!

“You’ve really grown up, Hicchan. Thanks for your concern of the family’s financial situation. Tell you some news. Your dad’s hard work has paid off. He received a promotion last month, and he got a big raise in salary as a result. I also earned some money from the stock market in the last few months. You know, you’re my only son, we love you so much, we know we’ll need to spend a lot of money on your health. That’s why we’re trying to earn more money for you.”

Wow, so many events have happened in my family and I know nothing about them. I guess we really need to catch up. Man, I feel so ashamed for not calling them more. Taking the first step towards redemption, I give Mom a warm hug to thank her for the effort.

“Thanks for everything. Shizune and I will try our best in our studies and be financially capable in the future.”

Oh no. My careless gratitude just resulted in a slip-up. And it looks like Mom caught onto that as well. Turning off the flames, she faces me directly and puts her hands on my shoulders.

I guess we’ll have to talk about it sooner or later.

“May I have a moment with you, Hicchan?”

I can’t say no. Mom points towards the store room to engage in a secret conversation with me while Dad is preparing the dining table.

“Tell me, son, are you dating Shizune now?”

Yup, exactly the question I expected. Mom, you’re sharp!

“Not officially. The truth is…”

Well, there’s no harm in talking about my life-changer to someone who loves me so much and gives presents to all three of us. But I do have a slight worry.

“Shizune and I started dating in the summer holidays. After the break, I made a huge mistake. I’d rather not talk about the mistake, but as a result we had a major fallout, and we stopped talking to each other for a few days. I managed to make up for my error and reconcile with her. Because exam period is approaching, we decided to put our relationship on hold until the end of the exams. But we’re studying together every day, so we’ve been very close.”

Mom nods in agreement as Dad notices what we’re doing but decides not to interfere. Good call, Dad.

“I knew you would choose her. Your dad likes Shizune a lot too. I personally like Misha more, because I think her cheerful personality could give you more happiness. You know, you haven’t been this happy until you came back last time. We’re both very worried about you.”

Understandable. And although I can’t say it out loud, I did choose Misha for, like, fifteen minutes.

“Sorry, mom. But as you know, Misha’s going to America, and we both know that we’re not in love with each other. She’s still one of my best friends. Yes, she’s cheerful, and she brings a lot of joy, but we’re not possible.”

“I understand. On the other hand, I do admit Shizune is a great girl.”

“If I tell you what she did to me, you’ll like her much more.”

“Tell me about Shizune, will you?”

We probably should have lunch now, but I don’t mind giving her a briefing to satisfy her curiosity before we fill our stomachs.

“In short, she changed my lifestyle. I’m now eating oatmeal for breakfast, salmon for lunch, and I stopped drinking coffee. I run with her in the afternoons every day. I sleep at eleven at night, and wake up at seven. I haven’t had any heart flutters or irregular heartbeat for two months. We’re practicing mock exam papers every day. My English improved from 43 to 62. Remember my school Mock Exam score? I had 80. In the last set of mock papers I scored an average of 84, with a 97 in Math. We’re passing the Center Test handily. We’re aiming for the scholarships now.”

I love Mom’s shocking reaction upon hearing my report.

“I can’t believe it. You certainly changed a lot. She did all that to you?”

Yup. And that’s why I make her my girlfriend of choice. If we can walk that far.

“That’s not all. She always reminds me to make better use of money. She wants me to do part-time work when I enter university. Librarian and homeschooling are my best choices, and they make a moderate amount of money.”

Of course there’s an ulterior motive for me to speaking good for Shizune in front of my parents.

“Really…?”

“I know you like Misha better. I’m also aware that Shizune is deaf, and this might pose a problem in the future, but I really want to be with her. Will you accept Shizune as my girlfriend? We’ll deal with our disabilities later.”

If I want my parents to accept Shizune as my girlfriend through her disability, I need to present her in the best possible way while hiding her strict and bossy nature. I intended to do this brainwashing after we revive our relationship, but I also prepared myself for the speech in case I need it earlier than expected.

“How can I say no to such a fantastic girl? But yes, make sure you two can figure out yourselves. Deaf is not a simple issue to solve.”

Telling her earlier has the advantage of testing the waters. If my parents heavily oppose to me dating a disabled, at least I know I have work cut out for me. Luckily for me, Mom doesn’t seem to reject Shizune. But perhaps it’s only because we’re not yet a couple officially. We’re definitely not in the clear yet.

“I promise you, mom.”

“Good. Come on, go and grab the girls for lunch.”

I’m hungry, and I’m sure my guests are starving too. I asked Shizune earlier to monitor Misha closely and don’t let her wreak havoc in my room; I hope she respected my privacy and followed through my request.

After a wonderful day with the Student Council duo, I find myself in the front cabin of the train with my lovely ex-girlfriend again. The last time this happened, she gave me a letter that completely changed my life.

[Thanks for the trip. I enjoyed it a lot.]

I was relieved to see that my room was kept intact when I went upstairs to call the girls for lunch. Everyone had a great meal, except that we didn’t serve Misha a parfait. After spending an hour or two on board games with my parents, the three of us visited a newly opened shopping mall which was a three-minute walk from my home. Besides enjoying the Christmas decorations, we also bought a few small items, and I treated Misha a cake because there was no parfait available. I was lucky not to come across with any of my former friends.

[Me too. Thanks for coming.]

We returned home at six o’clock, and my parents drove us to the town for dinner in a restaurant before dropping us off at the train station.

[Your parents are really nice.]

I smile, then pause for a while before replying with a wink.

[They seem to like you a lot.]

The President stares straight at me without replying. She knows I’m implying something else. I’m going to tackle this issue from the side, though.

[Wanna ask you a question, if you don’t mind.]

[Go ahead.]

[Have you figured out how to deal with your disability when you enter university? I can’t translate the classes for you like Misha does, because I also need to attend my own classes, and we’re studying different subjects.]

The future Kasshoku student confidently adjusts her glasses, which I must admit I didn’t expect.

[I know. No need to worry.]

I’d like the details, please.

[I don’t think there is sign language translation service in Kasshoku. Are you planning to hire a translator?]

[That’s a good idea, but no, that will be way too expensive. I’ll tell you later, okay?]

Makes me even more curious about her solution. But she says no, so I’m not going to pursue the matter.

[Alright, if you say so.]

The most confident deaf girl in Yamaku gives me a light smile.

[Thanks for caring for me. I’ve been in Yamaku for three years, yet nobody ever asked me this question except Misha.]

[You’re too intimidating. Nobody dares asking you questions.]

[Am I really that intimidating? I always answer any questions, especially regarding the Student Council.]

You don’t know your reputation in Yamaku. You’re lucky that I’ve been speaking good of you in front of my parents. But of course, your good manners today helped.

[You are. Miki told me that many boys want to reach out to you, but nobody had the courage to do so.]

My adorable blue-haired classmate adjusts her glasses again and signs playfully.

[Thanks for sticking around then.]

If you look past Shizune’s intimidating exterior, you find that she’s actually a caring and lovely lady. I hope she’ll get along with my parents, in whatever way she plans to, when we officially revert to couple status after graduation.

• Note: In Japanese the word “Tsu-ree” (Tree) specifically means Christmas tree.

Chapter 21: Petrified

Last edited by ShizuneFan2019 on Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:56 am, edited 2 times in total.