Yamaku Academy Random Writing Challenge

WORDS WORDS WORDS

StilesLong

Yamaku Academy Random Writing Challenge

Post by StilesLong »

At the Yamaku Academy discord server, I run a regularly occurring KS writing contest/challenge (more of the latter than the former). Each contestant is assigned a randomly-generated prompt (Thanks, SGTPepper!) that has at its core a list of pairings of KS characters. One pairing of characters must be chosen and a short (500 words minimum) piece written about them. As time goes by, we've added other constraints too, such as lists of situations or locations.

This contest is likely why you've seen some one-shots appearing with similar premises to others. There's only a limited number of ways to bring together unlikely characters in the limited number of locations fed in to the generator. Even less of those limited ways are good ideas and to avoid confusion, contest submissions will start appearing with a small disclaimer at their head.

You can also find all of the submissions that were publicly posted in this thread. Remember that one of the key goals of the contest was to foster creativity and help writers develop, so any comments or criticism you leave should be constructive. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did!

And, of course, if you'd like to participate, please DM me!

First Contest
Generator link here (canon pairings, extra characters). One pairing had to be chosen

More posts to come (when people send me links...)

Submissions

Brythain: Comfort
CraftyAtom: Undercover Journalism
Feurox: A Long Way Down

Second Contest
Generator link here (canon pairings, extra characters). One pairing and one situation OR one location had to be chosen.

Submissions

Brythain: Compromise
CraftyAtom: Brief Exchanges
Hanako Fancopter: Overnighter
sgtpepper: The Involuntary Lock-In

Third Contest
Generator link here (canon pairings, extra characters, RNG weighted to normal cast). One pairing and one location had to be chosen.

Submissions

Brythain: Strains (2028)
CraftyAtom: Dead of Night
Hanako Fancopter: An Unusual Family
Scroff: Quercus mongolica