The Involuntary Lock-In (Hisao x Miki)

WORDS WORDS WORDS
Mirage_GSM

Re: The Involuntary Lock-In (Hisao x Miki)

Post by Mirage_GSM » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:06 am

Call it "commonly agreed on" then if you don't like "objectively". Objectively doesn't mean that every last person on the planet has to agree with you or you couldn't claim that vaccines do objectively work either... (Yes, there is more "wiggle room" in how people experience stories than in how vaccines work, but those rules of good writing were made for a reason, too.)

As for people maybe finding it funny, I never claimed that wasn't the case. I listed two of the major downsides of relying on memes when writing a story. If an author accepts those for the giggles they are free to do so, but they shouldn't complain if they're called out on it.

Regarding plot... Well, there isn't much of that to comment on here, is it? Hisao and Miki get locked in the library, talk for a bit, go to sleep and Yuuko lets them out in the morning. There's not really much of any conflict or resolution, nor would I expect any in a story of less than 1K words.

If I had to find something to comment on it would be that the story came out just a few days after another story about two different characters being locked in the library - that one did have some conflict, despite not being much longer - which does not really help the argument that the story is not derivative.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.

sgtpepper

Post by sgtpepper » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:54 am

Greetings

I have decided to revise the fic in light of recent events. Here is the revised passage.
"I love you, Miki"

It was then I realized the girl I was snuggling wasn't Miki, it was a 7 story tall monster from the paleolithic era. I said

"Loch Ness monster, what you want?"

He said

"Open the door, get on the floor, everybody walk the dinosaur"

The End

this fic is dedicated to Mirage, for without him I wouldn't have known where to take this fic. <3
I hope you're all happy with my revision :)

Oddball

Post by Oddball » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:27 pm

Now you're just being stupid.
Not Dead Yet

Hanako Fancopter

Post by Hanako Fancopter » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:33 pm

Mirage_GSM wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:06 am
Call it "commonly agreed on" then if you don't like "objectively". Objectively doesn't mean that every last person on the planet has to agree with you or you couldn't claim that vaccines do objectively work either... (Yes, there is more "wiggle room" in how people experience stories than in how vaccines work, but those rules of good writing were made for a reason, too.)

As for people maybe finding it funny, I never claimed that wasn't the case. I listed two of the major downsides of relying on memes when writing a story. If an author accepts those for the giggles they are free to do so, but they shouldn't complain if they're called out on it.

Regarding plot... Well, there isn't much of that to comment on here, is it? Hisao and Miki get locked in the library, talk for a bit, go to sleep and Yuuko lets them out in the morning. There's not really much of any conflict or resolution, nor would I expect any in a story of less than 1K words.

If I had to find something to comment on it would be that the story came out just a few days after another story about two different characters being locked in the library - that one did have some conflict, despite not being much longer - which does not really help the argument that the story is not derivative.
Fair points.

sgtpepper

Post by sgtpepper » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:47 pm

Mirage_GSM wrote:
Both stories were written for a contest on one of the discord servers. We were meant to choose a pairing, a scenario, or a location from a randomly generated list. Fancopter and I just happened to choose the same scenario from the limited list of possible ones. I didn't know about his story, nor that he chose the same scenario as me. You can view the generator if you want here.

Now

If you really thought I was plagerizing, why wouldn't you, perhaps, privately mention it to me? It seems kind of rude to me to publically accuse me, even if you thought you were right. I accept that my fic is mediocre and I accept your criticism of my word choice, but I think you shouldn't have ventured beyond that, at least publically.

That is all. I don't want this to be a huge, hairy ordeal, I just wanted to make that clear.

Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:06 pm

sgtpepper wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:47 pm
Mirage_GSM wrote:
If you really thought I was plagerizing, why wouldn't you, perhaps, privately mention it to me? It seems kind of rude to me to publically accuse me, even if you thought you were right. I accept that my fic is mediocre and I accept your criticism of my word choice, but I think you shouldn't have ventured beyond that, at least publically.

That is all. I don't want this to be a huge, hairy ordeal, I just wanted to make that clear.
That's because I did not think of it as plagiarization even without knowing about the generator. Both stories are using a similar premise but they are completely different beyond that.
Also, I did not expect my comment to be taken as an accusation of plagiarization, and I'm honestly sorry if it was.
I'm certain if any plagiarization had been intended you would not have posted the story on the same forum within a few days of the first one.
As I said I was not aware of the generator, so to me it seemed as if your story was inspired by another - which would not have been original but also not grounds for any accusations. Authors inspire each other all the time.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.