Katawa Grisaia - Crossover Katawa Shoujo / Fruit of Grisaia

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Downix

Katawa Grisaia - Crossover Katawa Shoujo / Fruit of Grisaia

Post by Downix »

Another piece I've been working on from time to time was a crossover. For those who do not know, Fruit of Grisaia is another visual novel released a few months before Katawa Shoujo, centering around the students at Mihana Academy, and a new transfer student, Yuuji Kazami. Another writer I know is working on a Hisao goes to Mihana, so I thought to explore the other way, how could you integrate Grisaia characters into KS, and an obvious option was Yuuji's older sister, Kazuki.

Kazuki in FoG is belied to have died in a bus accident in 2005, her first year of High School. Had she had survived, her third year would have been 2007, the year KS takes place in. And, she is listed in Grisaia with the overt symptoms of severe albinism, including a lazy eye, tunnel vision in her functional eye, severe issues with sunlight, etc. She is also a self admitted sadist, and an absolute genius.

One of the theories floated within FoG is that she survived the bus accident, and took on a new identity to escape the abuse of her parents (who effectively lived off of her talent, and abused her younger brother who was normal and not a genius), and I took this angle, with her taking on a new identity, swapping the first characters of her names for the characters of Yuuji's given name, making Kazuki Kazami into Yuhime Futami.

Now, within FoG, canonically the school Kazuki attended was local to the general area KS states Hisao is from, one of the cities near Tokyo. This developed the premise I used to create the hook to allow such a crossover to work. Unlike other crossovers, I am not changing anyone's age, so Kazuki/Yuhime is a few weeks older than Hisao, and if any other Grisaia characters appear they will be the ages they would have been in 2007, not the ages they would have been in Fruit of Grisaia (which takes place a few years later).

I hope the holidays are going well for you all, and enjoy.
Downix

Re: Katawa Grisaia - Crossover Katawa Shoujo / Fruit of Grisaia

Post by Downix »

As I walk towards the main building, a quiet voice off to the side says, “Don’t.”
I stop and look around. Sitting under a tree with a sketch pad out is a white haired girl I don’t recall seeing before. She is not looking at me, but seems to be the only person near enough to talk.
“Are you talking to me?” I ask.
“As there is nobody else here to talk to, that is a safe assumption,” she says, a slight smile forming on her face. “Now, I saw you looking at the main building, and I witnessed that hallmate of yours already going in there, so it is safe to assume that he has recruited you to go to the roof, am I wrong?”
“Well, no, I suppose. How did you know?” I ask.
“Kenji has had two hallmates since attending Yamaku. Both of them were found dead within three weeks of moving in, both by falling off the roof,” she says, certainty in her voice. “Both loners who made no real connections with anybody, and both left suicide notes that were only discovered in their rooms after the act. Nobody can prove anything, of course, but to me it is clear what is happening.”
“And I’m number three, you think?” I ask, not quite believing her.
“I know you are,” she says. “Trust me, if you go up there, we will find your body, most likely off of the southeast corner.”
I eye her. “You certainly seem knowledgeable on the subject.”
“Of course I am. It’s precisely how I would get rid of someone,” she says, not a hint of emotion in her voice. “Then again, I would make sure they deserved it first.”
She finally folds the sketchbook closed, puts the pencil she was working with in the box by her side, and looks at me. “So, you are the new transfer student, Hisao Nakai.”
“Er, yes, ah…” I say, slightly unnerved that she knew that.
She pats the ground next to her and says, “Sit.”
The feeling in the pit of my stomach is either those noodles disagreeing with me, or that I will regret it if I do not follow her instructions.
As I lower myself to the ground, she taps a finger against her lip before nodding. “Excellent. It seems we have a good repartee going already. Now, for saving you from certain death, I require you to stay with me.”
“Why?” I ask.
“Because I told you to,” she says flatly. “By doing so, it will make me forget to mention to others that on February 9th you entered the hospital in a state of cardiac arrest. Further, it may make me forget to mention to others the specifics of your condition. Incidentally, you should stay calm, else cause another attack don’t you think?”
“H-how d-do you know all that?” I stammer out, stunned.
“All that matters is that I do,” she says simply. “So, are you staying with me, or shall I let things slip?”
I put my hands in my lap, and try and force a smile.
“Good, I’m glad we could come to an arrangement,” she says.
“For how long?” I ask.
“Until the fireworks display should be sufficient,” she says.
Fireworks?
“But what do you get out of it?” I ask.
“Peace and quiet,” she says. “It is always so bothersome dealing with certain others on festival days.”
I slowly nod, “So, by having someone already sitting with you…?”
“Nobody else bothers me, correct. And being that you want my silence, you are well motivated,” she says. “Now, smile and look like you’re enjoying the conversation.”
I blink, and put on a forced smile again.
“Good boy. I knew you could listen,” she says.
I sigh and lean back against the tree.
“Now that the unpleasant business is out of the way did you have any other plans besides meeting an untimely death tonight?” She asks, leaning back against it as well.
“I still don’t fully believe you,” I tell her.
“Then you are smarter than most,” she says.
“Your friends must love you,” I comment.
“Think of it this way. I’m doing you a favor. Instead of you being the mopey kid who committed suicide a week after arriving, now you’re the boy who befriended the ice queen a week after arriving,” she says, a bit of color entering her tone.
“Ice queen?” I ask.
“Ice Queen. Winter Witch. Ghost Woman. I have several nicknames here, none too pleasant,” she says.
“But why?” I ask.
“Because of my condition and general antisocial attitude I would imagine. People frequently turn to ridicule of what they don’t understand, or those they see as weak.”
“That’s the truth,” I say, chuckling dryly. Oddly, knowing that she knows, feels almost comforting. “So, Ice Queen, if you don’t want to deal with people, why come outside?”
“Because I always come outside on Sundays,” she says. “I don’t see what having a festival has to do with me not continuing my routine.” Then she considers. “Why did you call me that?”
“What else should I call you? It’s the only name I know,” I say.
“Oh,” she says, suddenly looking surprised. “Everyone seems to know my name before I’ve been introduced, so I assumed.” She closes her eyes and coughs. “Yuhime Futami,” she says.
“Pleased to meet you Yuhime,” I tell her, waving a hand. “Well, not pleased so much I suppose. You are, after all, blackmailing me.”
“Don’t let that spoil the fun,” she says, a devilish smile on her lips. “After all, you are new here. Plenty to introduce you to. What would you like to discuss?”
“Other than discovering how you found out about me?” I ask.
“Other than that, yes,” Yuhime says, her smile still coy.
“Well, tell me about this school?” I ask.
She considers. “Yamaku Academy, founded as a school for the blind in 1898 by the Yamaku family in honor of…”
I groan. “Great, I get blackmailed by a girl who can recite information out of a brochure by memory.”
Her smile settles in a bit more genuinely. “I can recall much more specific information than that, in case you’re curious. For instance, we have 193 students, in 12 classes total – 122 girls, 73 boys.”
“And why do you know this?” I ask.
“Why not?” she says.
Glancing, I realize that when people get near, they see us and seem to steer clear. With Yuhime’s winning personality, gee, I wonder why.
But then why did she need me here?
“Now, I am taking my nap. Stay put and make sure nobody bothers me,” she says, just before leaning herself against the tree and relaxing.
“Nap?” I ask, but it’s too late. Her gentle breath tells me she’s fast asleep.
Leaning my head against the tree, I sigh.
“Great, just great,” I mutter to myself. “Well, at least now I understand why she wanted someone here.”
She must take a nap in the fresh air on Sundays I suppose. Then again, the air is refreshing. Must be nice to be able to sleep when you want.
It’s boring sitting here with nothing to do, but exactly one hour after she dozed off, her eyes flutter open and she looks over to me.
“Good, you didn’t run off,” she says, sitting up. “Some weaker people could have considered the opportunity to flee such a situation.”
“And you would have released the information,” I tell her.
“Yes,” she says simply. “It’s only fair, after all.”
“Is it then fair to ask your condition, since you know so much about mine?” I ask.
She tilts her head slightly at this. “Does it matter? I may not have anything for all you know.”
“Then why would you be here?”
She just smiles enigmatically at that, and returns to her sketchbook.
Sighing, I stare upwards. “You mentioned fireworks. They do fireworks here?”
“Some kind of local tradition so I understand,” Yuhime says.
Chuckling, I respond with, “So I kind of heard. I’m from much further south, but I suspect you know that.”
“Naturally,” she says.
Thinking a moment, I ask, “Why me?”
“I have my reasons,” she says.
“Yeah, and I’m curious what they are,” I insist.
She taps her pencil against her lips, eyes never leaving the page before her. “You are a risk I cannot afford to not have under control.”
“What is that supposed to mean?” I ask.
“Why are you asking a question when you don’t want to hear the answer? I could have just let him dispose of you. But you don’t deserve that as far as I can tell. Perhaps you’re a serial rapist, or are carrying on an illicit affair with a teacher, but I did not find out if so,” she says. “So, instead I put you under tight control. Simply put Hisao, you now are mine.”
“If that was some kind of confession, you need to work on your technique,” I tell her, trying to be sarcastic.
This makes Yuhime’s eyes go wide. “Come again?”
“You said I am now yours. In some circles, that would be taken as a confession,” I say.
“W-what… no I… ah…” she stumbles out.
Aha, I tripped her up. So, she can get flustered. This brings a genuine smile to my face.
With her eyes wide like that, I notice something. Her eyes are slightly off from each other, with her left eye turned inwards. They’re also very violet, a color I’m not used to seeing.
“I mean, I’m honored if you’ve done all this research on me in the leadup to this, but shouldn’t we get to know each other first?” I ask, having fun with this.
“Just… be quiet. I’m trying to sketch,” she snaps, finally regaining some semblance of organized thought. She shuffles where she sits so she’s not facing me anymore.
Putting my hands behind my head, I lean back against the tree, chuckling softly to myself.
Sitting that way for several minutes, a thought strikes me. “Hey, aren’t you supposed to be helping with the festival?”
“I am, by staying out of the way,” she says. “And how about yourself?”
“Can’t. My class already had everything done and ready, so no place I could help,” I admit.
She chuckles. “That is doubtful. Certainly your class representative would have put you to work.”
“Yeah, well, I try and avoid her,” I admit.
“You’re smarter than most,” she says with a chuckle.
“How do you make friends with such a charming personality anyways?” I ask.
“I don’t,” she says.
“Never had any friends, ever?” I ask.
“I had one, once. But that was years ago,” she says, almost absentmindedly.
“I know how that is,” I say. “I lost my friends after what happened.”
“I… know how much it hurts to lose a friend,” she admits.
“So, when you’re not blackmailing new students, what do you do for fun?”
“Why do you want to know?” She asks, not looking in my direction.
“Because if I’m being forced to spend time with you, I’d like to at least know you,” I tell her. “Plus if I sit here brooding, people will suspect something’s up and will wander over.”
She considers this a moment, then nods. “I paint, draw, and play piano.”
“Sounds cultured,” I tell her. “I used to play soccer, but can’t anymore.”
“Interesting,” Yuhime says.
“What? You didn’t know that?” I ask her, surprised.
She shakes her head. “No.”
“Well, that’s good I suppose,” I muse. “Be boring if you knew everything about me, what, with me being yours and all that.”
Man it’s fun keeping her off-balance. If I’m stuck with her, may as well enjoy it.
“You’re not going to let that go, are you?” she asks.
I shrug. “Why would I? It is a better explanation than saying I was blackmailed, don’t you agree?”
Yuhime considers a moment. “You may have a point. Fine, then our cover story is made.”
For a moment I ponder how she sounds more like Kenji there. Then my heart sinks as I realize that she called my bluff.
“So, how do you know Kenji anyways?” I ask.
“He sits next to me in class,” she says.
“Ah, so you’re in 3-2?” I ask.
“Naturally,” she says.
The lazy eye now makes more sense. “How bad is your vision, if you don’t mind me asking?”
“Isn’t that kind of personal?” she asks.
“You know my heart, figured should get some kind of feel for you,” I tell her. “Helps with the cover story as you put it.”
A few minutes pass as she sketches.
“You have a point. One of my eyes is pretty much worthless. The other, I can see, but only in the center, and not at night,” Yuhime says finally. “I am also very photosensitive.”
“So, you can see, like Kenji?” I ask.
“No. Kenji’s eyes can’t focus. My working eye can focus, but can only see what’s directly in font of me,” she says.
“Yet, you paint without problem? Impressive,” I admit. “Are you in the art club?”
“I belong to no clubs here,” she admits. “My previous experience with school clubs did not go well.”
“Fair enough,” I admit.
More than a few eyes observe us from various festival goers, but none approach us. Apparently whatever Yuhime’s plan was is working.
“Do this often?” I ask.
“Never needed to,” she admits. “It’s kind of nice,” she says.
Looking up at the tree over us, I say, “Nice to be left alone, or nice to have claimed the new kid?”
“Well, I’ve not had anyone to boss around for awhile, I suppose,” she says.
“Then your will is my reluctant command, oh holder of blackmail goods,” I say, putting as much sarcasm as I can in my voice.
Yuhime smiles before pulling herself to her feet. “Then, come my valet.”
“Valet?” I ask.
“Would you prefer I call you my maid? Perhaps put you in something of a short skirt with apron?” Yuhime’s smile gets a bit sharper.
“Valet it is,” I say, rolling my eyes as I stand up. “What are we doing?”
“Enjoying the day,” she says. “This is about when Nomiya will be passing this way, and he will talk to me regardless of anything else.”
“Nomiya?” I ask. Mutou mentioned him the other day, I recall.
“The art teacher. He’s bothersome,” Yuhime says. “Follow me.”
“Yes dear,” I say, making her stiffen.
“How long are you going to keep that up?” she hisses.
“Depends on how long you hold my heart over my head,” I tell her.
She considers this a moment. “I suppose I did ask for this, didn’t I?”
“Yes you did, and can end it anytime you’d like,” I tell her.
Yuhime smiles. “Is that how it is?”
She walks forward, then pauses, looking up.
“Problem?” I ask.
“The sun is not good for me,” she says.
Looking around, my eyes settle on her sketchbook. I pull it out of her hands too quickly for her to respond, and hold it over her.
Yuhime blinks in surprise, then gets a bit of a smile. “You may actually be useful after all.”
“How about I get my umbrella,” I suggest.
“To protect the girl leveraging you for company?”
I shrug. “Seems smarter than walking around like this all day.
She slowly nods. “Alright,” she says reluctantly.
The boys dorm is packed with people. Yet surprisingly everyone gives us a wide berth, even as they watch us go by. It’s kind of fun, honestly.
Thankfully I’d left my umbrella by the door, so I just need to open it up and grab it.
Unfortunately, someone is standing before my door as I round the corner to my hallway. Or rather, two someone’s.
“Oh Hicchan, there you are. We didn’t see…” Misha’s voice freezes as my pale companion rounds the corner behind me. Her eyes widen with what almost could be terror, and she slowly backs away from my door.
“Hey,” I say, nodding to Shizune as I pass. My classmate’s eyes flick between me and Yuhime before her face settles into a neutral mask as she crosses her arms in front of her.
Opening my door, I reach in and quickly grab my umbrella, closing it behind me. Shizune and I exchange a look, and she simply nods, understanding it seems.
Misha really looks nervous, despite Yuhime completely ignoring the pair.
“See you tomorrow,” I tell them, waving a hand absently.
“S-sure. S-s-see you then, Hicchan…” Misha’s voice trails off.
Once out of line of sight, I ask, “What was that about?”
Yuhime gets an absentminded smile, as if remembering something enjoyable. “Nothing of interest to you. She is one of the girls who annoy me. She knows better now.”
Stepping outside, I open the umbrella and fall in behind her. People still go around us for the most part.
“Don’t you want to eat something?” I ask.
She just looks back at me, then turns away, saying nothing.
I consider a moment. “Well, standing here is sure to draw attention. As it is a festival, the least attention would be to enjoy it I would imagine.”
After several more minutes of just standing there, she lets out a sharp exhale, mumbling to herself, “Of all the people, it had to be you didn’t it?”
“Pardon?” I ask. “What was that?”
“Nevermind. Just nothing,” she says. “Let’s go.”
Not bothering to ask where, I follow her, holding the umbrella aloft to provide her shade.
After a bit Yuhime looks up at it curiously, then over her shoulder at me. “I should have recruited you earlier. This is actually more pleasant than usual.”
“Glad to be of service,” I say before realizing what I was saying.
Great, praising my blackmailer.
Reaching her destination it seems, she looks up, then points. “See, there. The fence has been taken down.”
I look up, and find myself surprised that she is correct. But, I know that fence was there just two days ago, when I had lunch with Emi and Rin on the roof.
“Believe me now?” Yuhime asks, turning to look at me. “Your life truly belongs to me.”
I just stare, considering the implications. “But why?”
“He’s insane, do you need a better reason?” she asks frankly.
“Well, I’d like one,” I state. “I mean, you don’t just go throwing people off roofs.”
She shrugs. “Do you want to go up there and ask?”
Considering, I shake my head. “If it’s all the same with you, I think I’d prefer keeping my feet on the ground.”
“Smart boy,” she praises. For some reason, her praise does not cheer me. “I see this relationship will be a beneficial one.”
“For you, maybe,” I say dryly.
Her right eye flicks to the side, then she hisses, “Behave.” Then in a louder voice she calls out to someone approaching in that direction. “Lilly, how nice to run into you. I take it your shift today is over?”
Following her gaze, indeed Lilly is walking in our general direction. Looking behind me, I realize we are in the direct path from the food stalls and the main building.
She tilts her head a moment, as if trying to place the voice, before nodding. “Yes Yuhime, it has been a long day. I’m surprised to find you outdoors today, considering.”
“You can thank my companion for today for that. Say hello,” she says, almost in a friendly tone.
“Um, hi Lilly,” I say.
“Hisao?” she asks.
“Oh, you two have met,” Yuhime says, a bit of a smile on her face.
She probably already knew that I muse to myself.
“Yes, we met earlier this week. But how is it you two are acquainted?” Lilly seems curious.
“I saw him wandering around this morning. He looked so lost, I had to take him under my wing,” Yuhime’s smile almost looks genuine.
But why is she smiling to Lilly?
“My, my, it seems you are making friends Hisao,” Lilly says, a bit of humor in her voice.
“So, what brings you here?” I ask.
“I was about to fetch Hanako and take her to town. The crowds should be less and from the Shanghai she will still be able to watch the fireworks so I understand,” the blonde haired girl says.
At this, Yuhime pulls her face up, and puts a knuckle against her bottom lip, as if thinking, eye flicking between Lilly and myself. Then, thoughts finished, she says, “That seems wise. Have a good day Lilly. Oh, and Lilly, can you let that cousin of yours know that the fence in the southeast corner of the roof has fallen down?”
“The roof?” Lilly asks.
An elbow to my side prompts me to talk. “Yeah,” I tell her. “Looking up there, part of the fencing is missing.”
She nods, before grimacing. “I do not like interacting with that woman.”
Yuhime smiles slightly before saying, “Of course, but the safety of others is important.”
Sighing, Lilly nods. “Yes, that is true. Thank you for telling me Yuhime.”
“Gladly, Lilly,” the pale girl says rather cheerfully.
As Lilly walks off, I ask, “Why did you tell her?”
“Because they don’t get along,” Yuhime says. Watching her enter the building, the look on her face is her thinking one I’ve come to recognize. After some time, she nods. “This gives me an idea.”

“What about this band is so interesting to you?” I ask.
She points to the students setting up on stage. “They all have a hearing deficiency.”
It takes me a moment to process that, then I look up at the stage. A reasonably sized number, likely to support more students than currently using it. Behind it, my dorm room window is almost directly overhead on the second floor.
Damnit, I left the curtains open.
“Hey, that boy’s in my class!”
She nods. “Likely here to support his fellow hearing deficient schoolmates.”
“I didn’t know he was deaf,” I say, dumbfounded.
“Tinnitus, properly. Trauma from when he was a child. Finally lost the hearing in his left ear last year,” she says.
“Something about him rubs me the wrong way,” I admit.
“Exactly,” Yuhime says, smiling as she waves the boy over. “Takashi, please, join us.”
“Hello Princess,” he says sitting down in the chair next to hers.
I consider this. Tinnitus, that’s ringing in his ears, so he can hear somewhat.
“You two have met already I am to believe,” Yuhime says, smiling.
“Nakai,” Maeda says, tapping his hat.
“Maeda,” I answer him.
“Now, hush, they’re about to start,” she says.
This has got to be obnoxious with me sitting here holding an umbrella over this girl. Glancing behind me, well, thankfully the crowd is thin.
The band itself is a five piece setup, Four girls on two guitars, bass, a keyboard, with the lone boy playing drums. I find myself curious what kind of music they will be playing.
As they start, Yuhime turns to Maeda, and I see her jaw moving, without any sound coming out.
He laughs, and says something back to her I couldn’t really hear over the music.
They continue this exchange, and I tune them out and focus on the music, a rock piece from a decade ago. Nobody is singing, but it’s still fun to listen to.
They just run from song to song without a break, which is kind of cool. I notice that the bass drum has a light attached to it which flashes when it is hit. So that’s how they’re keeping timing. Clever.
Whatever the two of them are discussing next to me, it seems to be wrapping up.
As the song ends, I can kind of make out Maeda saying, “…ami original. They’re not going to part with it.”
“Such a pity,” Yuhime tells him.
“Well, child prodigy dies at such an early age, of course her work is going for a fortune,” he says, shrugging. “They lucked into it before the accident.”
I mostly ignore them, but it’s hard not to overhear a pair sitting right next to me.
“My family used to have it, so there’s sentimental value,” she says.
“Look, I know where you’re coming from, but I can’t force anything. They bought it, and now are holding onto it for awhile. An investment, you know?”
“Paintings should be enjoyed, not squirreled away like investments,” Yuhime says in a sulking manner. “I understand, but you can’t blame me for trying.”
“I know,” Maeda says. “And if something changes I’ll make sure to let you know.”
“I appreciate it,” she says as he stands up.
“Catch you later Princess,” he says, waving a hand as he walks away.
As he distances himself, I ask, “What was that about?”
She looks at me and sighs. “A painting my father sold. Takashi’s family bought it and I have been trying to convince them to sell it back.”
“But the painter died, so it’s value went up I take it?”
“It’s not polite to eavesdrop,” Yuhime says, narrowing her eyes at me.
“Didn’t mean to. But, that’s the general issue now I guess,” I tell her.
She considers for a moment, then nods. “Yes.”
I shrug. “I don’t get it myself. Why does a dead painter get a higher price than a living one?”
Yuhime considers a moment. “When dead, there will never be any more work of theirs. No new piece around the corner. No commissioned works. None of it. So, instead of new paintings being available, people have to fight over what there is.”
“Ok, that makes sense,” I tell her. “Never thought of it that way. What’s the painting of?”
“Oh? Of… ah, her little brother. I always thought it was adorable,” she says, smiling slightly.
I nod. “And your father sold it?”
“Helped pay off his debts,” she says flatly. “He was heir to a very successful family business, which he drove into the ground. Then he began to work for my mothers company, and drove them under as well. When he began running the antique store, that was a joy.”
She begins to smile, almost rocking in place with a subtle motion. “I would spend hours in there, looking at all the pretty things. Then there was this painting. I thought it gorgeous. But it was for sale, and my father said I could not have it…”
Well, that certainly was not what I expected. For some reason, I expected her parents to be crafty people. Now they sound, well, kind of pathetic.
“Pity you don’t have any more of her works. Trade one you don’t care about for the one you do,” I say absentmindedly.
She sits there, staring at me, considering something. When whatever cleverness behind those calculating eyes is finished, the slight smile of hers settles in, and she says, “Now, I know exactly what to do until the Fireworks,” with a glint in her eye.

Blanket over the grass, I stand there holding the umbrella over Yuhime as she sits there holding still in the center with her eyes closed.
I think she’s doing it to see how long before I give in.
Well, two can play at this game.
The sun is almost to the treeline, so I have maybe an hour and a half left of this at least.
And I don’t even have a book to read. Damn you Yuhime I think to myself staring at the back of her head.
“You need to make friends,” she says out of the blue. “Growing up without them only makes you a depressed and bitter person.”
“That’s funny, coming from you,” I say.
“I’ve seen it happen,” Yuhime says, a note of sadness in her voice.
“Are you saying that you’re on the path to becoming a depressed and bitter person?” I ask.
“I already am one,” she admits. “I am just not going to subject that onto someone else.”
“Is that why you’re doing this?” I ask.
“I only am using you for company. You’re the one being so attentive,” she says.
I feel a slight smile at this. “Just because I’m being blackmailed doesn’t mean I can’t be a decent person about it.”
“Decent? Is that what you call this?” she scoffs.
“You said the sun hurt, and that you were photosensitive. I may not like what you’re doing, but that doesn’t mean I’m going to stand by while you are in pain,” I admit. “Besides, I’m not giving in to you.”
“So am I a challenge to you?” she says, turning to look at me. “And what if I were to call your bluff?”
What does she mean? Ah well, I’ll play along. I put on the fake smile I’ve become quite used to by now, and tell her, “Who knows?”
“Most irritating,” she mutters to herself.
“Well, it’s over as soon as you say,” I remind her.
She folds her hands, and stares up at me.
“What, are we in a staring contest now?” I ask her.
She just folds her hands, and continues to look up at me.
I consider a moment, then nod to myself. She gets flustered when I take her actions and present them as romantic. That seems to be the only way under her skin. So, I know what I have to do.
“Or are my eyes just that captivating?” I say with a smile.
Her cheeks turn a bit pink and she bites her lip.
“Stop that,” she hisses.
“Why? Your eyes are quite lovely as well I should note,” I say, hamming this up.
A slight tremble sets in her hands, out of irritation or embarrassment I can not tell. Then she turns her head away, and puts her knuckle up to her lips again. By now, it is clear that this is a nervous habit when she’s concentrating on something.
Nodding to herself, she sits up on her knees, and snaps, “Sit,” while pointing behind her.
Curious what she’s doing, I sit down cross legged behind her, holding the umbrella over her the while. Looking at her back, it’s obvious how tiny this girl is. Almost as small as Emi, but far less athletic in her build.
Before I know it, she’s scooted back, and sits down in my lap.
“There,” she says, almost purring.
The sudden sensation suddenly makes me keenly aware that she is a girl. Damn, so that’s what she means by calling my bluff.
My hand holding the umbrella is already beside her, but she takes it and pulls it around her, after which she reaches back to pull my other hand over her as well.
She then leans her head back and almost in a seductive whisper says, “It’s been awhile since I’ve sat on anyone’s lap. Let’s see how well you can handle it.”
“You don’t play fair,” I tell her, keeping my forced smile up.
She shakes her head. “Never. After all, let’s not forget that I am blackmailing you.”
We settle into silence, with her pressing herself against me, and me trying my best to ignore it.
After some time, I ask, “So, did that antique store work out for your father?”
“Sadly no,” she says. “He tried to run it without any outside influence. And if I or mother tried to help, it would not end well for either of us.”
“He is strict I take it?”
“He was,” she says.
“Mellow out in his old age?” I ask.
“Dead,” Yuhime says simply. “Murder suicide along with my mother.”
Well, that topic went dark quick. Recalling what she said about gambling debts, the puzzle of her life becomes clearer, and far more tragic.
“Oh, ah, I’m sorry,” I manage to get out.
“Why? I’m not,” she says as easily as if she were ordering a cup of tea. “They were horrible people who got what they deserved in the end.”
“Oh. What did they do?” I ask.
She sighs. “To me, nothing too bad. To my little brother…” she shakes her head. “He was never as quick at picking up things as I was. As they focused everything on me, he was never given the attention or training needed. There were nights when the only food he was given was whatever I managed to sneak.”
She hangs her head.
“I’m sorry to hear that. What happened to him?”
She shakes her head. “I don’t know. After what happened, I lost him.”
Like this, she almost seems human.
I nod. “I don’t have any brothers or sisters. My parents, well, they’re too busy working to pay much attention, honestly.”
Need a better subject. Much more of this and I’m going to be more depressed than I was in the hospital.
“So, now that I’m yours, what are the perks of the position?”
This makes her crane her head around to look at me. “Perks? That I don’t tell everyone isn’t enough?”
I shrug.
Looking at her in the eyes, something in me clicks. For how foul my mood was this morning, I’m actually starting to enjoy myself.
I start to laugh.
“What?” Yuhime says, all confused.
“I just realized, you blackmailing me may have been the best thing to happen since I got here,” I tell her.
Glancing around, the shadows from the trees now have stretched long enough that the umbrella is no longer needed, so I close it, and return my arms to around Yuhime, slightly surprising her I note as she jumps.
“Ah, what are you doing?” she asks.
“Well, you did put my arms here, so just putting them back,” I say.
Her hands come up to one arm, then slowly settle down.
And then she falls silent, and looks up to the sky.
Curious, I gaze as well, just as fireworks start going off.
I hold her a bit tighter as I watch the display. “Thank you.”
She hangs her head and shakes it. “Thanking me for blackmail.”
“Hey, it’s been fun, in a weird, sadistic way,” I tell her.
“I am a natural born sadist,” she states in a matter of fact tone.
I chuckle. “I kind of guessed that.”
She lets out a short laugh. “Pity you’re not a masochist. You fight back.”
“Well, I don’t like backing down,” I tell her.
“I’m surprised that you and the student council don’t get along then.”
I shrug. “I think me defending Lilly the other day made Shizune angry with me.”
Yuhime nods. “That would do it. Then why were they at your room earlier?”
“No idea,” I admit.
She leans back into me, then says softly, “I only ordered you to stay until the fireworks started you know.”
“In such a hurry to get rid of me?” I ask.
“I suppose not,” she finally admits.
“Then just enjoy the fireworks,” I say in return, never taking my eyes off the sky.
Bright blues, greens, reds, yellows, all scatter and fade. Cores pop and stars zoom. By the time it finishes, I’m actually feeling genuinely happy.
“I guess this is exactly what I needed,” I admit to Yuhime.
She stays silent.
“Yuhime?” I ask.
A few moments later, she nods. “Yes, it’s time.” She almost sounds regretful.
Pulling ourselves to our feet, I fold up the blanket and hand it back to her.
She then looks at me, thinking about something before nodding. “Yes. Have a good night Hisao.”
“You too Yuhime,” I tell her.
When we both head in the direction of the dorms, we come up short. Then we start at the same time, and stop when we see the other one moving.
“Ah,” she says, really looking confused. Then she looks around, and the other people heading to the dorms, many of them couples holding hands.
Sighing, she holds out an arm. “Hold my hand,” she orders.
“What?” I exclaim.
“I said, hold my hand. If we walk back together not holding hands, people will think something’s up after the rest of the day,” she says. “Besides, you’re the one who started this.”
I laugh. “No, you did by saying I’m yours.”
She just wiggles her fingers.
I reach out, and take her hand.
Walking to the dorms is a strange feeling now. I’m walking hand in hand with a girl who is exploiting my past. And the strangest part is, I’m actually enjoying it.
Her hand is a bit warm, and very small in mine. I notice one of her fingers tracing itself along the back of my hand – a gentle back and forth motion. It is oddly comfortable.
As we reach the dorms, I say, “I suppose this is it, the end of the day.”
She nods. “Indeed it is.”
“Goodnight, again, Yuhime,” I tell her.
“Goodnight Hisao,” she says, turning and walking in the direction of the dorms.
My umbrella under my arm, I re-enter my building.
On my door however, I find a fishing line running from the doorknob over to Kenji’s door. Groaning, I walk over, and knock on his door.
“Kenji, open up,” I tell him.
The locks all flip with an alarming speed and his door opens. “Where were you?”
I suppose I can tell him the truth. Nobody will believe him anyways.
“Held hostage by some girl named Yuhime. Says she sits next to you in class,” I tell him.
His eyebrows go up and his jaw opens. “You were… held hostage? I knew it! I knew she was up to something! Oh man, sorry I doubted you.”
“Doubted me?” I ask
“Nevermind, not important. Do you know what this means?” he asks, a look of either raving madness or pure ecstasy on his face.
“Uh, no,” I admit.
“It means, she’s finally made her move! A ha! She thought she had everyone fooled, but I knew she’d slip up!”
I roll my eyes.
“So, what is she, some kind of spy?” I ask.
Kenji shakes his head. “No, no, no, nothing like that. Look man, it was her! She’s the key to it all! To cover for her, they killed an entire basketball team then claimed it was an accident!”
I scoff. “That’s preposterous.”
“It’s true! An all girls academy just outside of Tokyo, whole bus full of girls vanishes. They find the bodies weeks later. Only one girl made it! It’s got to be her!”
For a moment, a vague memory hits.
“About two years ago?” I ask
“Yeah!” Kenji says.
“I remember something about a basketball team bus accident, but I didn’t pay much attention.”
He points at me. “That’s the one!”
“And let me guess; her little brother was recruited into a top secret black ops organization?” I ask, not bothering to hide the sarcasm in my voice.
Kenji just looks at me. “Look dude, if you’re not going to take this seriously…”
I roll my eyes. “Fine, fine, so let’s assume for a second you’re right about her, why would she be here?”
“The girl is a super genius,” Kenji asserts. “She is clearly here to plan out the feminist takeover! Why else would they kill off a dozen of their own to create a cover for her disappearance?”
This is making my head hurt.
I shake my head. “Look, Kenji, I don’t know where you got this idea, but it’s preposterous. I mean, what are the chances, seriously?”
“Fine, don’t believe me? Go look for yourself!” he says.
“Alright, I’ll… ask, alright?” I say.
“No! You need to be more clever than that!” Kenji snaps.
“I mean I’ll ask my parents, you dolt,” I tell him. “If anyone can remember, they will.”
“Oh,” Kenji says, placated. “Smart thinking, and since she doesn’t know them, they can operate without suspicion!”
Groaning, I step away. “Goodnight Kenji.”
“Later dude,” he says, slamming his door shut, and then the locks begin.
Am I seriously considering what he says?
Damn, I must be tired.
Shoving those thoughts out of my head, I walk to my room and open the door.
“Bus accident survivor, what the hell dude?” I mutter to myself as I go into my room and close the door.
AJT135

Post by AJT135 »

I've never played Fruit of Grisaia, so I can't really appreciate the crossover aspect, but I can definitely appreciate everything else about this. Very good work.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

I saw the first season of the anime... and I want that time back.
So sorry, but even without reading this story I know it isn't for me...
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Downix

Post by Downix »

Mirage_GSM wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:17 am I saw the first season of the anime... and I want that time back.
So sorry, but even without reading this story I know it isn't for me...
To be fair the anime butchered the story, to the point that they retconned the VN for future installments. But no stress dude. The anime really is not my cup of tea either.
Scroff

Post by Scroff »

Enjoyed reading this, looking forward to seeing how it develops. I've only finished Fruit of Grisaia (still reading through Labyrinth) and I don't recall any mention or signs of Kazuki having trouble with her eyes, is that something that comes up in a later VN?

And yeah, don't judge the VN by the anime!
Downix

Post by Downix »

Scroff wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:47 pm Enjoyed reading this, looking forward to seeing how it develops. I've only finished Fruit of Grisaia (still reading through Labyrinth) and I don't recall any mention or signs of Kazuki having trouble with her eyes, is that something that comes up in a later VN?

And yeah, don't judge the VN by the anime!
It is actually in the first VN, and is so brief a mention that if you don't catch it, super easy to miss. I know I did the first read through.