Yet another one-shot thread (updated 2019-08-12)

WORDS WORDS WORDS
Hanako Fancopter

Re: Yet another one-shot thread (updated 2019-06-25)

Post by Hanako Fancopter » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:51 pm

It's not stated that Misha offed herself is it? It doesn't seem clear that Hisao and Shizune are getting back together, either, just that they're seeing each other again. The story as a whole is pretty open ended. Quite different from the funnier ones with Miki in them, and definitely on the depressing side, yes. But you left room for some hope! After all, Shizune might get Hisao to lose some of that weight!
An Unusual Friendship (Misha x Hanako Route)
Riposte (Rika Mini-Route)
One-Shots Thread (Random Smut/Meme Stories)

Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:28 am

It doesn't seem clear that Hisao and Shizune are getting back together, either, just that they're seeing each other again.
It's not outright spelled out, but walking hand in hand is quite a big indication. :-)
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.

Lap

Post by Lap » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:44 am

Hanako Fancopter wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:51 pm
It's not stated that Misha offed herself is it?
Never stated explicitly, no; Scroff is a subtler and better writer than that. But lines like
"Silly Hicchan~, you shouldn't be wishing your life away."

"Isn't that what you did? Rather successfully if I may say so."

" 'Where's there's life, there's hope.' Just because I had neither, doesn't mean you get to slack off~!"
seem rather indicative...
Avenues of Communication: Shizune suffers an accident.
Akira's Surprise: Akira pays a surprise visit to Lilly, Hanako and Hisao on Christmas eve. S9 Entry.
Arrival: Hanako's first days at Yamaku. (On Hiatus)
Home: Hanako & Hisao at University, sharing an apartment with their friend Lilly (on Ao3).
One-shots

Scroff

Thoroughly modern pirates

Post by Scroff » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:23 am

The following post was written in response to Stiles Long's writing challenge. Each participant was given a list of KS character pairings and a list of locations. One of each was chosen for this fic, where we find out what happens when Hisao drags Emi into the library.

"Omigosh Hisao, I'm not that far behind, you don't have to frog-march me in here! Besides, what use does a pirate have for science?"

"I don't think there's many openings for pirates right now and even if there are, you'll need to be up on 21st century pirating techniques. It's not all cutlasses and wooden legs these days."

"And just what would you know about pirates, mister? It's not like you're president of the Advances in Pirating club!"

Hisao waves dismissively. "It stands to reason they've updated their ways to compete in the modern world."

"Shame," she sighs. "I'm more cut out for traditional swashbuckling."

"You can buckle my swash any day!"

"Cheeky!" She slaps him playfully on the arm. "You do know I'm kidding about the whole pirate thing?"

"Well I certainly hope you are..." He draws her into an affectionate hug which she returns with a happy sigh as she buries her face into his chest.

"No canoodling in the library you two! Umm I m-mean you shouldn't be disturbing the other students with your... you know..."

"Sorry Yuuko," they chorus, ending the hug but holding hands as they make their way to a cubicle set up for group work.

"You don't have to torture me with revision. This booth is pretty secluded, if we're quiet I bet we could get away wi-"

Chuckling, he places a finger on her lips and does his best to ignore the puppy-dog eyes. "I thought we agreed you weren't going to distract me like that anymore?"

"Don't you enjoy my distraction techniques?" she pouts.

Blushing, he replies, "well yeah, but there's a time and place for everything."

"You're a hard taskmaster Hisao!" She pushes him onto a chair and hops on his lap, squirming suggestively. "Talking about being hard...

"Could you not do that in public?! Tell you what, give me two hours of study then we can distract each other to our hearts' content."

"Ninety minutes and not a second longer!"

"Heh, I would've settled for sixty." He puts his finger on her lips again. "Nuh-uh, no takesy-backsies! Time will fly when you get into it, this stuff is really interesting."

Rolling her eyes, she takes a seat next to Hisao and drags her books from her backpack. "Nerd."

Emi sighs in relief when the alarm on Hisao's phone brings their session to an end.

"See, it wasn't so bad. I think you even had fun once you got the hang of it."

"I admit it wasn't too awful, though I don't get why you're going all out on this. What happened to living in the moment?"

"Do you remember I said we'll go on living until we stop?" When she nods he continues, "I realised the other day that one of us is going to be left behind with memories of the time we had together."

"Hisao, I swear I'll kill you if you up and die! You promised to stay with me."

"I'm doing my best to make sure I stick around as long as I can. If we want to have memories of happy times, not just of struggling to live hand-to-mouth, we need to find decent jobs. And the first step to that is performing well in our exams."

"I dunno Hisao, mom said some of the best times she had with dad were in the early days before things got too settled."

"That's good to hear." He hesitates. "But memories aren't the only thing which could be left behind..."

"Huh?"

"I know it's far too soon to be talking about this stuff but I can't help thinking about it."

"Talk about what? Give me a clue here, Hisao."

"History repeating itself." Seeing the puzzled look on her face he says, "your history."

Emi blushes as she realises what he means. "Yes, it's much too soon to be thinking about what could happen to little Rin."

"Or little Akio. Or both."

"Not little Kenji?" She laughs when she sees him shudder. "OK, not Kenji."

"I know it's presumptuous of me to think you'd want to-"

Emi stops him with a kiss. "I love you too. And that does mean a family somewhere down the line. Far down the line," she giggles as he wraps her in a fierce hug.

"Hearing you say that makes me happy and scared all at the same time." He draws back a little and looks at her uneasily. "Is it selfish of me to want littl'uns when I know my time could be cut short?"

"Damn you Hisao, you're making me worry about the future too!"

"Sorry."

"Just let me think for a bit."

He leans out of the hug and takes her hand, trying to quiet his nerves by stroking it gently. As he watches, a range of emotions play on Emi's face until a look of determination emerges.

"Done thinking?"

Emi nods decisively. " 'These things happen.' Remember? I'm done with letting what might happen hold me back from living my life." Seeing his relieved expression she holds up a finger sternly. "That doesn't give you free rein to die on me, mister! And don't think I'm gonna let you repeat your history."

"Eh?"

"How much time do you spend with your parents?"

"Ah, yeah. Work-life balance will be particularly important for us."

"Right? Come on, I'm getting hungry."

They pack their books away and head out of the library, hand in hand, ignoring Yuuko's disapproving stare.

"So, Hisao."

"Hmm?"

"I need to make sure you're up to the job of becoming a father."

"You said it's much too soo-"

"It's never too soon to practice!" Laughing, she drags a not-so-reluctant Hisao in the direction of the girls' dorm.

"You'll be the death of me, Emi Ibarazaki!"

Feurox

Re: Yet another one-shot thread (updated 2019-08-12)

Post by Feurox » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:48 am

Simply wonderful Scroff, how you continue to churn out such brilliant posts will never cease to amaze me! Both characters feel deeply - uh - in character, and the whole story has an adorable and fluid style :D There’s not any conflict, so it really is just a quaint and humours little slice of life.

The inclusion of “Little Rin” and “Little Kenji” really made me laugh, so did Hisaos cryptic way of bringing up the topic. Got to say, he’s a braver man than I - and I’ve been at this longer then he has :lol:

Incredible work Scroff, truly.

brythain

Post by brythain » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:42 pm

Aha, that was FUN. The Emi pirate trope is canon, but you've run away with it into utter hilarity.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)

Fowlor

Post by Fowlor » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:03 pm

Finding this here was a pleasant surprise!

You kept it really engaging while keeping it a light and mildly humorous piece. I definitely laughed at the "Little Kenji" shudder.
Just finished the rest of this thread a little under a week ago and really enjoyed your work. You do a really good job at characterization consistency, the established characters feel true to themselves, and you make the "promoted background" characters feel like people.
I'm usually not much for OT3, but I enjoyed the Walking Together pieces so much that you've got me wondering if I might just not be a fan of poorly written OT3.