Yet another one-shot thread (updated 2019-05-14)

WORDS WORDS WORDS
Scroff

Re: Yet another one-shot thread (updated 2019-04-14)

Post by Scroff » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:59 am

Thank-you all! I wasn't even working on the second one, it was just an outline about old man Hisao looking back on his time with Saki, then...
brythain wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:03 am
“Well, Hisao Scroff, you might be the first, but I don’t think you’ll be the last to be subconsciously influenced by popular lyrics.”
...I heard True Love Waits by Radiohead and I knew what I had to write. I finished it quickly (I normally write slowly), gave it a quick editing pass (I tend to second-guess what I write too much) and posted it before I succumbed to the urge to bury it - it makes me sad too.

Scroff

Lullaby

Post by Scroff » Tue May 14, 2019 9:28 am

Although this contains no smut, it does feature mature themes and may be upsetting. The music video playing in the common room at the start is Lullaby by The Cure.

We're sitting in the common room on another tedious Saturday afternoon. We should be making the most of the mid-September weather before we're confined to barracks for the winter but no, this bunch of stick-in-the-muds wants to hang around inside. The teachers have eased up on supervising us now we're in our second term and the senior class reps who're supposed to keep us in line while we're in the dorms are busy with school work, chores, or fucking if the noises coming from Yuna's room are anything to go by. So we've been left to our own devices and I gotta say, boredom is setting in. There's nothing good on telly, one of the girls who thinks she's cool has commandeered the remote and is making us watch prehistoric music videos. I remember my dad listening to this a lot when I was a kid, before he... nah don't dwell on that, he's not worth the effort.

"Noooo, turn it off, turn it OFF!"

What's got into Suzu? Shit, she's bluescreened. "Coming through, shift your arses."

"Yeah, don't get between her and her girlfriend."

Stuck up bitch! "Now now, no need to be jealous, I'm sure you'll find someone one day. Oh wait, I forgot, you've already tried it on with half the boys in the school. Maybe you'll get lucky before you've gone through the other half."

"You cow, I ought to-"

"Leave it Ritsu, you know she'll hurt you if you try anything."

You better believe Miki Miura will put you down if you fuck with her. The boys have wised up, they mostly treat me like a person instead of a pair of tits on legs, there's just a couple of girls who need to be brought into line now.

I scoop Suzu up and head to my room. It's a pain juggling her rigid body as I try to get my keys out, even more so when I go to grab them with my stump. Why can't I get used to not having that hand? Once I'm through the door I dump her on the bed and check her vital signs like Nurse showed me. All good, so I sit at my desk and pick up this week's Number while I wait for her to reboot. Ugh, do they have to put gross sumo wrestlers on the front cover?

"I'm sorry Miki."

"Hey, what for?" I move over and perch on the side of the bed. Big mistake, she limpets on to me as soon as I'm in range. I try to disengage before the power of the sleepy puppy eyes makes me accept my fate.

"You know I'm not unconscious during an episode, I heard you fighting with Ritsu."

"Not your fault she's a bitch."

"You wouldn't have to deal with her bitchiness if it wasn't for me. I don't understand why you care for me, but I'm thankful that you do."

Yeah, I'm not admitting that Nurse was right when he told me looking out for someone would help me feel less empty inside. "What set you off? You haven't had one of those attacks since we came back after the summer break."

"The way he was paralysed on the bed with that creepy guy coming for him."

"I guess it is a freaky video for such a pretty tune, but it's only make-believe, nothing to get upset over."

She shivers. "It brought back bad memories."

"Anything you wanna talk about, or are those sleeping dogs better left to lie?" Oof, I had no idea she could squeeze so hard.

"People are mean, Miki. Ever since I've been having cataplexy attacks someone has thought it funny to mess with me. You can't imagine how it feels to know they're going to do something humiliating to you but not be able to stop them. It hasn't been so bad here once you took me under your wing, which is another thing I've got to be thankful for."

"They've learnt not to fuck with Miki's pals."

"I swear, if I didn't know better, I'd think you've been using me as an excuse to get into fights..."

Ouch. I shouldn't underestimate this girl, her sleepy face hides a shrewd judge of character. "Pfff as if I need an excuse to get into a fight!"

"Yeah well, anyway I'm glad that I'm left alone now and you're not having to get your knuckles patched up by Nurse quite so often."

"Wait, you're trying to tell me remembering being given a sharpie moustache set you off? That doesn't fit with the other times, they were triggered by a shock or getting angry enough to spit feathers."

"Are you keeping track of my episodes Miki?"

"Don't laugh at me! I like to be prepared, to anticipate if I've gotta jump in. I had no reason to think you were gonna have a problem today so I was slow to react."

"Well you didn't seem slow to me. Thank you."

Where does she get off kissing me? Lucky it's just on the cheek, if she'd taken proper liberties I'd have... no, don't get sidetracked Miki, she's trying to bamboozle you. "I'm not buying your story Suzu and a half-hearted smooch isn't gonna distract me."

"You're saying you want me to try harder?"

"No! I'm saying start making sense or tell me to fuck off if you don't wanna talk about it. Either way, don't insult my intelligence." Shit, is she going lights out again? "Hey, sorry, I shouldn't push you, it's none of my business."

"It's OK, I need to talk about it, I want someone to know, it's really difficult though."

Damn, she sounds grim. "But is that 'someone' me? The school's got counsellors, the shy girl in our class sees one." So did I, until I made a deal... I don't have a problem with the concept of counselling, it just wasn't working for me.

"I'm not a nut-job!"

"Nor is she. You said yourself that you need to talk and they're professionals, they could help a lot more than some bolshie teen."

"I want to talk to someone I trust, someone I l...like. Right now, that's you."

Yay for me. "OK but I don't know what you're expecting from me."

"Just listen a-and don't hate me."

Hate her? "I can't imagine you doing anything hateful. You're manipulative, judgemental, a bit spoilt, but you've got a kind heart."

"Wow, thanks for the ringing endorsement, I totally see why you put up with me!"

Oops. "I meant that in a good way, I wouldn't hang out with you if I didn't think you were OK."

"I'll save my analysis of your character till later. Do you know what he was singing when the scary guy was creeping up on him?"

"No, I'm not bad at reading English but don't follow well when it's spoken."

"Hold on." Her phone is very fancy, makes my second-hand jobbie look like an antique. "Here's the lyrics, the second verse was being sung when I flipped out."

What. The. Fuck. "Who? I will cut his fucking balls off and stuff them down his throat. No-one does shit like that to my-"

"Calm down Miki, it's OK, I'm safe here."

"What the fuck do you mean 'it's OK'? It's not OK, it's never OK. How can you say it's OK?"

"Like I said, I'm safe here. It won't happen again, especially with you to care for me. My mum is an alcoholic and-"

``Your mum?''

"Looking back I can see she was odd, intrusive, but I didn't question her behaviour when I was growing up. I could never please her. It didn't matter how high my grades were or how hard I tried with my extracurriculars, she always found fault, always pointed out how I could do better, how I would never be as good as her. Things came to a head when I started getting my periods. She completely freaked out, called me a dirty whore who was trying to steal her husband."

"Fuck, what did your dad do?"

"She's relatively normal when he's around and made sure we weren't alone together, which was easy because of his long hours. When he came home I'd be allowed to talk to him for a few minutes then I'd be packed off to bed so he could eat in peace. Some days he wouldn't be back till after I was sent up, other times I'd be so out of it that I might as well not have been there."

She wipes her eyes and glares at me defiantly. "He's a good man, he always looks for the best in people so it didn't occur to him she was trying to drive a wedge between us. He finds my narcolepsy hard to deal with, he hates that I have to cope with the sleepies and the attacks, and I think he blames himself for not being able to fix me. It's only because he wanted to tuck me in one night when he was late home that he found out what she was doing to me."

I don't know if I can listen to much more of this, it's seriously freaking me out, my heart is thumping like I'm in the last twenty metres of the closest race of my life. Oh get over yourself Miki, you're supposed to be a bad-ass and you're not even brave enough to hear your friend out? This is about her, not you.

"Nights when he was back late were the worst. She'd get drunk, come to my room and start laying in to me about my failings. That night she worked herself into a rage, screaming she'd make sure that dad would never want my rancid cunt. I was so shocked I had an episode and there was nothing I could do when she came at me with a lemon reamer. I lay there terrified of what she was going to do, unable to move or even scream, when dad walked in and told her to go downstairs and wait for him. He was super calm but so scary, she went as pale as a sheet and stumbled out.''

"Holy shit Suzu, no wonder the video freaked you out. What happened then?"

"He held me and stroked my hair. When I could move again I clung on to him and sobbed. He said how sorry he was that this happened, how he was a failure for being too distant from us to see it coming. Then he said divorcing her was out of the question but he would make sure I would be protected in future. And I was, the next day he brought home a governess who was more Molly Millions than Mary Poppins."

"So he didn't actually solve the problem? Took the coward's way out?"

"It's not that easy Miki, a divorce would cause huge problems with both families and I'm already an embarrassment."

"Well if he really cared for you-"

"I said it's not that simple!"

Wow, the kitten's got claws. "OK, OK. How much did it fuck you up?" Good, she can smile about it.

"The nightmares were dreadful for a few weeks, but when I saw how broken she'd become, drinking all day, not taking care of herself, I realised that I was the strong one, the survivor. I didn't exactly feel sorry for her, but I found it hard to hate her. Spending time with dad and getting to know him helped too."

"Almost sounds like a happy ending, so how come you're here?"

"I wouldn't say it was a happy ending. It was extremely uncomfortable for us to be in the same house, to be reminded of what she'd tried to do when I saw her every day. Even worse was the hypocrisy, having to present a united front at family events. I understand why but it was awful, it hurt to see dad treating her as if nothing had happened. I was in the last year of middle school while this was going on and when he suggested going to Yamaku I jumped at the chance. I'm hundreds of kilometres away from her, I'm getting proper medical care, a decent education, I feel like I'm able to be a normal teen."

Normal? Yeah, now that I think about it, everyone here has their issues but when it comes down to it we're all just high-schoolers muddling our way through life.

"Apart from missing my dad, I'm pretty happy. There's much less pressure on me and most of the teachers know I'm not being lazy when I fall asleep in class. And I found you, I've never had someone watch over me like you do."

The squeezing again! "Don't get the wrong idea, I'm just looking out for the underdog. How are you feeling? Ready to go back to the common room?"

"No, I can't be bothered with those cows right now. Do you want to head into town for pizza, my treat?"

"You just said the magic words! Your card better not be maxed out, I'm ordering a large with extra toppings. I'll need the energy if I have to lug you all the way back..." Though to be honest carrying her isn't a burden, not even those last few winding turns up to the main gate; she's light enough to pierce my gloom.

Mirage_GSM

Re: Yet another one-shot thread (updated 2019-05-14)

Post by Mirage_GSM » Tue May 14, 2019 12:54 pm

Very well written - though I don't think you'd infringe on any copyrights if you just posted the lyrics in question. Having to follow a link to an external page in the middle of reading (something I didn't do) will definitely pull any reader out of the story.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.

Scroff

Re: Yet another one-shot thread (updated 2019-05-14)

Post by Scroff » Wed May 15, 2019 9:32 am

Thanks Mirage! I went backwards and forwards several times on the lyrics (I've had a lot of love for The Cure for decades and last thing I wanted was to infringe copyright, hence linking the band's home page) and I didn't like any of my solutions so I went for an approach that would allow the reader to find them if they wanted, or not if they didn't. The fic doesn't hinge on reading the lyrics or watching the video, but I personally think that the whole package of music, words and imagery is incredibly powerful. Links would probably be better at the end rather than inline though, to remove the temptation to click them...