Mirage_GSM

Re: Cup and Saucer: A Rika Fan Route

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Sometimes you inexplicably slip into past tense for a while, e.g. here:
Wordlessly, I ducked under her umbrella and stood beside her,
and sometimes (rarely) the prepositions are a bit wonky, like here:
weren't feeling at yourself
but overall the writing is very good.
I also like the story so far - could become one of the best Rika stories around here if you kep it up.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
emi

Post by emi »

Flopsy wrote:Sorry for the absence there, I've had a terrible flu. Still do, just well enough to actually make it to my desk today.
Hope you get better. Don't feel pressure to have to update every day, 5 days is hardly an absence. Some stories go weeks or longer without updates, it's okay if you take more time to make sure it is done properly rather than rush it out too.
Emi > Misha > Miki > Suzu > Lilly > Hanako > Rika > Saki > Rin > Shizune
Art: http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=10495
Flopsy

Post by Flopsy »

Mirage_GSM wrote:Sometimes you inexplicably slip into past tense for a while
I'm a bit slippery with tenses. Thanks for catching those.
I also like the story so far - could become one of the best Rika stories around here if you keep it up.
Oh, that's very nice of you. I will do my best.
emi wrote:Hope you get better. Don't feel pressure to have to update every day, 5 days is hardly an absence. Some stories go weeks or longer without updates, it's okay if you take more time to make sure it is done properly rather than rush it out too.
Thanks for the well wishes. Well, it's not as though I'm writing these at the moment, just editing them as I bring them over from my old pastebin. I won't be caught up until I get all of Act I here, then I can work on something new. It's not too strenuous, and you guys have been a big help double checking as well.
Thanatos02

Post by Thanatos02 »

Neat.
Flopsy

Post by Flopsy »

1-08: Inflict

Rain gently patters on my window, streaking my view of the grey morning with the beginnings of a dreary day. It must have rained all through the night. I lean back from my window and return to my mirror, steeling myself with a deep breath. I can get this right. Wordlessly, I part my hair into three locks and begin the attempt to braid my hair for the fourth time this morning. The rain begins to pound on the window louder, drawing my attention as the wind announces its arrival as well. I hope I'm not caught in another rainstorm on my way to class. My mind wanders as I stare out into the courtyard below, to important things, and to wanton thoughts. I think of my poor stray out there in that weather and endeavour to make time to heat some milk for it before I leave for class. I think of whether or not I'll bother to replace my bracelet, although I'm sure Saki will scold me once she notices. Saki brushes my mind at that, and I think of all she did for me last night. You reach a certain level of comfort with an old friend where you don't need explanations, just a warm hug and the knowledge that you'll have someone to talk to when you're ready. I can't help but run through scenarios in which I appeared as I had Saki to my other friends. Friends? I pause.

Would I be able to call Lilly a friend? Or Hanako? I know them, certainly, but only once have I ever attempted to talk to Lilly beyond pleasantries, and I was met with a calm assurance that seems to come naturally to her. She came to visit me in the hospital, certainly, but... but maybe I should stop trying to analyse my connections to people. People like Nakai. I yelp, realising I've managed to tie a knot in my hair and have tugged at it painfully. My own fault for not focusing. Resigning to my failure, I begin to untie the knot and unweave my hair as I notice someone in my doorway. 'You're up early,' Saki greets me through a stifled yawn, leaning on my doorframe in a bedraggled pair of pajamas. I look her up and down, putting together what I'm seeing.

'Shouldn't you be getting ready?' I reply, frowning.

'Should I be getting ready for what? Do you have plans?' Saki just frowns in return, looking equally confused. There's a silence as I feel the gears in my head clicking into place.

Slowly dropping my hands from my hair, I look up at her and say, 'it's Sunday.'

'It... is Sunday,' she confirms, looking at me like I'd just asked the year. I look down at my school uniform and back at Saki. Her eyes follow and look back at me as a smile slowly breaks out on her face. 'Oh Rika, dear sweet Rika, you were getting ready for class, weren't you?' Punctuating her question with a hearty chuckle, she moves across the room and stands beside me, taking my head in her arms as though I was an upset child.

'That may have been the case, yes,' I muffle into her torso before she pulls me away, clasping her hands to my head and looking into my eyes.

'You woke up before your brain did, didn't you?' She lets me go, still sniggering as she continues, 'nothing for it, I suppose. Say.'

'Say... what?' I repeat.

'Say... have you got plans today?' She follows, innocently tilting her head.

'To be honest, I'd sort of booked my day out with the classes I don't have. It being Sunday has really cleared up my schedule.'

'I figured that would be the case. Well, seeing how the obvious answer to getting you out of this slump is hanging out with this wonderful lady right here,' she pauses, gesturing at herself, 'how's about a little day out on the town? I'm going out shopping for some new paints, but I figured I'd make a day of it and me and a few friends are going to get ice cream and maybe a movie and other city junk.'

'Ice cream?' I dubiously ask, looking out the window at the bleak day it's promising to be.

'Maybe not ice cream. Anyway, you don't really know them, but I'm sure they'll warm up to you. Just be your usual charming self.' She adds, grinning. I weigh the thought of going out with Saki and her friends. I did want to get out of my head, but hanging out with Saki's friends might be a little much. She studies my face, then pouts like she read my mind. 'I know they're not your usual crowd, but you should get out of your comfort zone a little,' Saki softly says, creasing her eyebrows in the particular way she does.

'Maybe I should... but I'm not sure, Saki. I don't want to push myself back into a state again,' I sigh, running my hair between my fingers, 'maybe I should take baby steps for now. Like, join a club or something.' Looking up, I see Saki's face light up at that as she walks behind me and separates my hair in her hands, beginning to braid it.

'You probably know you best right now, then,' She says slowly, with an edge of disappointment. Finishing the braid, she walks around to face me and regards me seriously. 'You have to promise to go ask about clubs, then. None of this...' she wildly gestures at my mess of library books on the desk, '... seclusion. Deal?'

'Deal,' I reply. With that I stick out my hand, and she spits on hers then grasps it firmly. Saki just smiles as my face curls and I wipe my hand off with my handkerchief from my pocket.

'Well then, I do have to get ready for the city today. You get changed and go ask around first thing, okay?' She says, twirling away towards the door,quickly looking back to catch my nod and skips out towards her room. For a while, I watch the space where she was and consider. I'd have to keep my promise about the clubs, but which? I let the thought mull around in my head while I dig through my wardrobe for something to wear. It's hardly forbidden to wear school uniform on the weekend, but most students, myself included, take the opportunity to wear something of their own. After a short look, I pull out a casual looking blue dress with some large buttons down the front that don't actually button anything. Fashion, apparently. Shrugging off my uniform, I pull the dress over my head and slip my arms in. On observation, the dress was shorter than when I last wore it, coming up to mid-thigh. Terrific, I'm still growing, despite already being taller than half the guys in my class. Or maybe it has been longer than I thought since I wore this. Looking out at the weather again, I also slip on some thick tights and a pair of cosy boots before shrugging on my shockingly still clean jacket that I wore yesterday. Quickly draining the cooling tea I'd brewed when I woke up in one long gulp, I set it down and head out into the hallway.

It proves to be as empty as you'd imagine a school dorm to be on an early Sunday morning, but that saves me the awkwardness of bumping into anyone who saw me before. True to my promise, I head to the kitchenette before heading out and heat up some milk for the stray. Easing open the back door, I find it waiting for me, soaking wet and shivering. It gives a pitiful meow when it spots me and rubs itself against my leg. 'You idiot, couldn't you have found somewhere warm?' I chastise it, setting the milk down. It sneezes in response, almost falling into the bowl. Chewing my lip, I decide to take the risk and reach down for the poor thing, huddling it under my jacket. It purrs in delight and nestles into me as I make a quick detour to my room, milk in hand. I settle the sodden bundle onto my bed, setting the milk on the floor. 'You can stay here since it's so miserable out, but I expect you to behave,' I inform the cat, hands on hips, but it's already curled into a ball and fallen asleep. Maybe I'll add finding this thing a home to my list today. 'I'll be back soon, and no cleaning is scheduled today so you should be safe,' I add to the slumbering ball of fur before heading out the door again and locking it. Finally out the main doors and into the courtyard, I'm blasted by a fiercely cold gust that threatens to blow my coat off my shoulders. Saki must really need those paints. Pulling it securely and warmly around myself, I trudge through to the classroom building through the Spring storm. By the time I've fought with the wind to pull the door shut behind me, I deeply regret my decision not to bring an umbrella for the short walk. Glumly, I head down the hall towards the library to find some listings for club activities. Along the way, I'm distracted by a passing whiff of warm cinnamon, and I slow in my tracks. It is, of course, coming from the tearoom. I decide that I have time today to have a second cup of tea with Lilly and let myself be drawn in by the pleasant aroma.

Easing the door open, I poke my head in and see that Lilly's the only one here this morning, focused on brewing the what smells like Chai tea with her back turned to the door. There's a moment of hesitation as I realise she'll have questions about yesterday, but I push that out of my mind and slip inside. 'Good morning, Lilly,' I greet her as I gently close the door behind me. I watch her pause what she's doing for a moment, before she turns her head over her shoulder and smiles.

'Ah, good morning Rika, I should have known it was you this early,' she replies with her usual comforting demeanour, 'please sit. You're lucky I always brew enough for a guest.' I quickly oblige and move from hovering at the doorway, pulling up the seat closest to the window. Lilly continues preparing the tea as I sit and watch the first students emerge from the dorms, only to flee back inside from the rain. Glancing at Lilly, I notice she's totally dry and rack my brain for a way to ask how she avoided the rain without seeming prying.

'That rain, huh?' Elegant and understated, Rika, good job. Lilly doesn't seem to mind, however, and turns her head to the sound of the rain pattering against the glass.

'Quite the morning. I was lucky to get a dry spell while I walked Hanako inside,' Lilly explains over her shoulder. 'By the way Rika, you can hang your coat over the radiator, you sound soaked,' she adds.

The curiousity gets the better of me and I ask, 'I sound soaked?'

She laughs as she moves to the table and sets the tea and saucer in front of me, 'I can hear your coat dripping on the floor.'

'Oh,' I reply, feeling heat rush to face. I quickly drape the coat over the radiator and watch the steam from it rise up and cloud the window. As Lilly returns for her own tea, I hastily rub a viewing hole in the fogged glass with my sleeve to watch students flee across the drenched courtyard to and fro. My attention darts back as Lilly sets her saucer down with a gentle clink against the cup. I wait for her to say something, but we sit in silence in the tearoom, just listening to the rain and enjoying the warm sensation of nice tea on a cold day. I clasp the cup with both hands, trying to get the chill out of my bones as Lilly idly stirs her tea with a teaspoon, eyes fixed down at the swirling liquid.

'Rika...' she starts, glancing up at me. I take a sip of tea and steel myself.

'Yes?' I try and sound calm, but a tremor in my voice betrays me.

'About yesterday... was something wrong?' Lilly inquires, sounding concerned. Oh dear Lilly, how do I go about answering that? Yes, a million things were but nothing I could tangibly explain? That I panicked for no other reason than things seemed to be going well? Maybe I can pretend the tart didn't agree with me and I had to rush home. Which is why I was crying, obviously, because of a stomach ache.

'I remembered something sad,' not wholly a lie, but far from the truth. Lilly frowns, obviously not satisfied with the answer. Her forehead crinkles as she ponders a better phrasing.

'Did Hisao do something to upset you?' She decides on something surprisingly blunt. Another question I can't answer. I suppose he did, of no fault of his own. What it was I couldn't say.

'I don't know. I don't think so,' I say, not looking up from my tea, 'nice tea for the weather, isn't it?' I cringe at my own awkward change of subject, and Lilly doesn't look pleased at it either. She politely offers a small smile anyway.

[Cont.]
Flopsy

Post by Flopsy »

'I always drink Chai on days like this. This is actually an Oolong blend of it,' she offers, maintaining the pursed smile.

'Oh, I didn't notice. Is there ginger as well?' I meekly return, mind still threatening to buckle down on me.

'Mm. I added it myself.' She smiles a little broader at that, but there's the questions unanswered evident in the set of her expression.

'It really compliments the cinnamon, I think,' time for a conversational u-turn, 'I'm thinking of joining a club.' Lilly's face brightens up, and her concern is pushed aside for the moment.

'Really? Oh my, any ideas?' She follows, looking as though she already has a few. I rack my brain, and think of what clubs I know. Art, track, the student council. Astronomy? Is there an astronomy club?

'Maybe astronomy? Something relaxed would suit me, I think,' I answer. If there isn't an astronomy club I'm going to seem as out as touch as... as I am, actually.

'Perfect! I believe they have a meeting right now, actually, they tend to gather early,' she hastily says as she rises from her chair and offers me her arm.

'We're going right now?' I hesitate, but slowly rise to my feet and take her arm. No sooner than I do, Lilly marches off with me down the hall.

'No time like the present. They're in the club room now so you can meet everyone,' I take a hard swallow at that, but Lilly has my arm in a shockingly firm grip as though she anticipates my escape attempt. We go up a flight of stairs and arrive at the club room sooner than I hoped. Lilly raps the door a few times.

'Come in!' A familiar voice from inside calls out. Molly? Oh no. Without ceremony, Lilly opens the door and pulls me inside, leaving me standing before a room full of around seven people, all with their heads turned to me. I feel equal parts embarrassed and vulnerable as Molly looks up from her star chart to recognise me and grins.

'Rika! What brings you here?' Her eyes wander from my pained expression to Lilly's grip on me, but it only seems to delight her further.

'Rika was thinking of joining your club,' Lilly answers before I can open my mouth and Molly turns to me.

'Is that true?' She asks. I manage a nod, but words are beyond me.

'We can always use someone to lug around the equipment, right guys?' She laughs and the club joins her, nodding their assent. I shift uncomfortably and find my voice.

'I'm still just thinking about it,' I stammer, talking much too fast and much too quiet. Molly hears however, and stands from her position over the chart, stretching out her arms above her.

'You don't have to join immediately. But maybe you can tag along on our trip tonight. We're going star gazing to celebrate the vernal equinox,' with that, she motions for me to come over beside her. I free myself from Lilly and walk across the room, eyes fixed on the floor and away from meeting the gazes of the other club members. I stand a couple of feet away from her. Molly pulls one arm around me to get me closer, and points at the chart with the other. 'See here? The equinox signals the start of Spring,' she pauses to glare out the window at the rain, 'even if the rains came early. If the weather abides, which it mightn't from the looks of things, we're going out to the country side with our equipment and watching the night sky. We'll mostly just eat junk food and lounge around on the picnic blankets though.' She laughs again, and I offer a giggle as well. 'Ah, sounds like you're interested, then! Well, no pressure anyway, we'll only go if this weather clears up.'

'It sounds like it might be fun.' I reply, mulling over the idea. It does actually sound alright. Even if I don't make friends, I can bring a book and a thermos filled with tea.

'It's settled then! Wanna' sit in with us now and get to know the gang?' She cheesily smiles, the group cringing at the phrase. She obviously uses it a lot.

'No, I should really finish my tea with Lilly...' I look up, only now noticing that Lilly has vanished and left me to it. She planned this. Molly notices it as well, and just pulls me in tighter.

'Looks like she's busy! You're all ours!' She wickedly says, grinning with all her teeth. I feebly smile in return, and look about the group. Some are smiling at me, but most have already returned to what they were doing. There aren't any other faces I recognise, at least. I look back out the window, and I realise.

I hope the weather clears up for tonight.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

We're going star gazing to celebrate the vernal equinox
The vernal equinox has a fixed date (MAR 20th). This story is currently in June, so it could possibly be summer solstice - that would be about three weeks after HIsao's arrival.

griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Flopsy

Post by Flopsy »

1-09: Drift

'Now you're absolutely sure you don't mind?' I ask Yuuko for the seventh time. She looks up from teasing the cat with a string bookmark and gives me a reassuring smile.

'I'm sure I'll appreciate the company,' she laughs, the cat hopping on the desk and nuzzling into her shoulder. I continue to fret and second-guess myself until Yuuko turns her attention from giving the cat a thorough tummy rub, and pushes me out the door. 'We'll be fine Rika, honestly. You enjoy your club excursion and I'll worry about the kitten,' she assures me. The library doors swing closed behind me before I have time to protest. I take a deep breath, and manage to snap myself out of it to try and focus on the evening planned. My rucksack slung over my shoulder, I venture down the empty halls of Yamaku and head to the meeting point. The setting sun just about peers through the windows to cast long panes of light across the floor in front of me, drowning the hallway in a warm orange. There's always this strange cosiness to being in the school building after class hours. I allow the feeling to sink deep, and a contented smile creeps onto my face. Travelling down the stairwell I spot the astronomy club already gathered at the front gates through the window. The sight of them chatting and playing around makes me hesitate. I wonder again if this is a good idea, if I can put on a brave face to fit in like they all seem to. I quickly regain my composure, however, and stride down the stairs with added purpose. If I stop now I won't be able to keep going.

With a hop down the last few stairs, I hit the ground floor and round the corner out of the school building. Dusk is approaching quickly, and a gloom is setting in over the courtyard. The air is crisp and not nearly as humid as I thought it would be after all the rain, and I take long refreshing breaths to clear my head as I head towards the gates. Molly spots me first, and calls out my name, spooking a crowd of birds getting ready to nest out of a nearby tree. I cringe at the commotion as the group turns to watch me approach, but Molly saves me having to break the sudden silence with a welcoming hug. 'I knew you'd make it!' She chirps, squeezing a good portion of the air out of my lungs.

'Of course, it isn't a big deal at all, glad to meet new people,' I blatantly lie. Molly turns to address her club.

'Astronomers! You might have seen her sulking around the club room earlier, but I'd like to formally introduce you all to Miss Rika Katayama! Novice stargazer and new member of the club,' Molly announces to the group, and most manage a lazy clap or two. She frowns, and continues, 'treat her as you would your glorious club president. Or I'll put you on pack mule duty.' The group laughs, and I feel a bit of the awkwardness ease. Before the glorious leader can continue her speech, the bus arrives outside the gates and the door swings open. Mr Mutou steps off the bus with a clipboard tucked under his arm and surveys the group.

'While I'm not too pleased to be heading out with the weather we had this morning, Miss Kapur wouldn't take no for an answer. Still, you're going under the terms that you pair up and don't wander off. The trip will be around fifteen minutes before we arrive at the national park and once we're there you'll all line up and follow me. The ground will be soaked, so I hope you've all brought thick blankets. You can thank Miss Kapur if you haven't,' he finishes with a chuckle, and begins to read off names. He goes through the whole club, and does a headcount. Checking his list again, he looks puzzled, and does another headcount before clearing his throat. 'We seem to have a straggler today,' Mutou points out, and all eyes go to me. Following their gazes he slowly meets my eyes. It takes me a few painful moments of staring at my feet before I realise that he's waiting for me to speak.

'I'm Rika Katayama, sir. M-Molly,' my voice stammers and I catch myself, coughing and patting my chest before I continue, 'Molly invited me along to try out the club.' Molly nods her enthusiastic assent and Mutou's deadpan stare eases.

'Then Miss Kapur is your problem. I mean partner,' he states, sweeping his eyes over to Molly, 'and Miss Katayama is your responsibility. Normally school regulations wouldn't allow her to come along, but I'm willing to put them aside if you agree to do the paperwork if she goes missing in the woods.'

'Yes sir, sir,' Molly replies with a salute. 'But can we get going? We're already going to be adjusting our equipment in the dark and I don't want it to get any later, sir,' she adds, saluting again for good measure. Mutou sighs and walks back onto the bus. Molly takes this as consent and everyone begins to pile onto the bus in pairs, Molly grabbing my hand and pulling me up with her. I freeze in the isle, unsure where to sit. Is there designated seats? Do people just have seats they like and they'll yell at me if I accidentally sit in theirs? Should I sit at the front near the teacher or at the back far away from everyone? Sho--

My thought's cut short as Molly grabs my hand again and practically tosses me into a seat. I straighten myself with what dignity I can find and Molly plops down beside me, eyes sparkling. 'Isn't this exciting?' She asks, grabbing my shoulders and shaking me for an answer.

'It--sure--is!' I manage to reply through shakes. She mercifully releases me and looks around the rest of the bus, pointing fingers and raising her voice to get her club under control. I take the break from her attention to gather my thoughts, gazing out the window back at the school. I can see my dorm room from here. I could be there right now, snuggled up under blankets with some privacy, a cup of tea and and my books. No, I shouldn't be fantasizing about such things, I should be proud of myself for being here. Some time outside the dorms will be good for me, and good for my nerves. Better try and have a good time so Saki will be pleased when she comes back from the city asking me what I did with my day. The engine sputters to life and the school moves away from my window. No turning back now. The bus trundles along down the hill and I watch as the town comes and goes through the glass, streetlights beginning to be turned on as we pass. As the bus stops at traffic lights, I spy Lilly sitting at a window-seat in the Shanghai with a blonde man in a suit. I don't ponder it for long as the light switches and we're quickly out of the town and into the countryside.

The trip passes uneventfully, with me mostly watching the scenery and occasionally chatting with Molly, or better put, Molly chatting at me about astronomy with phrases and jargon that makes little sense to me, so I just nod and smile. The moon begins to peak on the horizon as we pull up into the parking lot of the national park we're visiting, and the general chatter of club members intensifies with excitement. I hear people talking about what they packed for a picnic, or a couple of girls quietly discussing their attempts to sit with a certain male student. All in all, very little talk about astronomy, and I begin to suspect that most here are just excited for the excursion. Mutou stands and opens his mouth to speak, but Molly's already out of her seat and barking commands at the club. Mutou shrugs and leaves it to her before heading out of the bus. I'm out with Molly first, leading the other pairs behind us as we form around the entrance to the park. Mutou does a quick roll call before the other students dig into their rucksacks and pull out flashlights. The way is lit with a few lanterns, but everyone is caught up in the spirit of it. I didn't think to bring one myself, but Molly wraps an arm around me and flicks on a ridiculously bright torch of her own. 'Don't worry Rika, I'll keep you safe,' she laughs, pulling me along into the woods.

'My hero,' I laugh back, pretending to swoon. Molly grins and pulls a stick off the ground, swinging it at shadows and overhead branches. We dart around the path, shining the light at passing rabbits and trembling in fear of the terrible beasts. I get caught up in the silly game, playing the frightened damsel all the way down the path. By the time we've reached the hill we both lay down our blankets and collapse, breathless. I give Molly a huge smile and she returns it, and I roll to look up a the starry sky. 'Wow,' I let out, as if I'd never looked up at the stars before. Here in the country, the sky is lit up brilliantly, the deep blue of the sky peppered with the shining drops of light, like watching the reflection of city lights on the water's surface.

'I know,' Molly replies from beside me. Turning to her, I see her face is calm and her eyes are closed, as though she's just soaking in the starlight. 'When I'm stressed at school, I wait until night-time and go to the roof of the dorms. I lie and watch the moon pass through the sky and count the constellations. Sometimes I even make up my own,' she giggles, pointing up to the sky, 'that one is the Nurse, for example.' I follow her finger and see the stars in a long curve, looking like a big grin. It makes me giggle as well, and I point out my own.

'That one is the teacup,' I point to a different section of clustered stars. Molly laughs.

'Always on your mind, isn't it? I don't suppose I'll get to try any of your famous tea, then?' Molly asks, leaning up on her elbows.

'I wasn't aware it was famous,' I reply, pulling myself to my knees and digging through my rucksack. I find my thermos and unscrew the lid, taking in a long smell of the smoky tea inside.

'Oh my goodness you actually brought some,' Molly teases me as I carefully pour the Russian Caravan blend into the cup, trying not to spill it and scald myself in the dark.

'Of course I did,' I retort, raising an eyebrow, 'out in the soggy cold like this, a cup of tea is perfect.' With great care, I pass her the cup and say, 'now I am afraid that I don't have any milk to go with it, and it's a tad strong.' Molly doesn't seem to mind and takes a long gulp of the steaming hot brew. I stare, flabbergasted. 'What's your mouth made out of, leather?' I ask.

'It's good!' She announces, ignoring my question. I just have to laugh as she downs the rest of the cup, wiping her mouth afterwards. 'I can see why you're so crazy about the stuff.'

'Well, generally, one sips from the cup...' I trail off, shaking my head, 'nevermind, actually.' I just smile at her, and she hands me the cup back before standing up and grabbing her own rucksack.

'I just realised why we're here,' she says over her shoulder, gesturing at the other students with a tilt of her head. All around us, the other club members are at least putting on a show of looking through their telescopes. With a heave, Molly lugs out a very fancy looking telescope of her own, flicking open the legs of the stand and resting it into the ground. A lantern appears next, resting in front of the blankets to give her some light. There's a lot more fiddly looking instruments that she screws into various places before she seems satisfied. 'What a beautiful piece of technology,' she comments, admiring her telescope with her hands on her hips. Looking around again, I see the other students have noticed their club leader getting to work and scrambling to make adjustments. I see she notices it as well, and affirms what I'm thinking, 'they've picked up that I'm about to do my rounds. Better not disappoint them.' She strides off looking very stern. I stifle a laugh to not break her guise and lean back down on my rucksack, pouring my own cup of tea. From up here, you can see miles of countryside, spattered with small towns throughout. I can even see the lights of Yamaku tucked away at the top of a far-off hill. So strange to think how so much of my life centres around those tiny, faraway lights. I cast my gaze away, beyond the school to the train-line cutting a winding line throughout the hills. The line continues on to the city and beyond to the rest of Japan. There'll be a time soon that I'll be riding that train-line once I graduate, and I can't help but wonder where it'll take me. Back home?

I took a long sip of tea, letting the warmth ease the sudden anxiety. Worries for the future, not for now. Now, all I have to concern myself with is some sort of mutiny on the part of the club as Molly scolds a tired looking girl for knocking someone else's telescope. I decide to let Molly run her club her own way and lie back on the blanket, watching the stars. It's funny, looking at Yamaku's lights made my problems feel insignificant, but looking up at the endless expanse of stars and sky makes me feel silly for having any in the first place. I try and mimic Molly, closing my eyes and attempting to just soak in the starlight. With a couple of deep breaths, I find my pulse and simply listen. It's erratic as ever, but I listen to its strange rhythm and find my thoughts easing. It becomes as calm as I've heard it in a long time, but I don't usually take the time to stop and feel it unless I'm concerned. My whole life I've had so many specialists and consultants pay so much attention to every detail of each beat. Nakai wouldn't have gone through that, not yet. He said he's stayed in hospital, but a lifetime of doctor's visits and switching medications makes is a different matter. I wonder what he thinks about his condition? Nakai seems like such a private person I can't imagine ever asking. Will I ever get a chance to ask after all that's happened this week? What must he think of me? I feel a few tears streak down my cheeks, but somehow it's okay. A smile emerges on my face with them, and all I can think about is how I'm going to change his mind.

Images of hospital rooms, the sensation of a cold stethoscope against my chest, the familiar drum of my heart when I'm anxious. Mussy brown hair, a smile and sunlight catching a glimmer of metal buried in mud. They all come and go as I lie there and simply let my thoughts flow through my head. I feel a sudden coldness on my head, and then another. My eyes open and a cloud has crept along while I've been thinking, and I find myself staring up into the rain. 'Alright, pack up! We're heading home!' I hear Mutou call out and see him with his jacket pulled up over his head against the rain. The club collectively groans and begins to dismantle their equipment. Molly appears above me, looking down and smiling.

'Sorry I left you for so long, someone had to keep the rabble in check. A certain couple of ladies wouldn't leave a male student alone,' she explains, offering a hand. I take it and she pulls me to my feet, then gets to work on pulling apart the telescope. 'Didn't even get to use the thing,' she mumbles as I roll up the soggy blankets. Quickly fishing my overcoat out of my bag, I wrap myself in it before I get soaked. Looking up, the clouds are only looking angrier and the rain's coming harder. Hurriedly, I stash away all my things and assist Molly pack away her telescope. She's being so careful it takes a little while, and the rest of the club ends up standing waiting for us to finish up, looking miserable from the rain. With rucksacks on we hurry back down through the forest trail, ignoring Mutou's warnings of slippery mud. A few students tumble and I hear their cries of annoyance as they land in the mud, but we press onto the bus. I think I've had quite my fill of rain and mud for the week. The bus driver glances up at us as we rush past him to our seats, coats and skirts dripping along the isle. We're soon joined by others rushing aboard, and finally the few mud-covered students slowly make their way in,looking suitably upset. Molly delights in the fact that it's the trouble-making duo of girls, and they both shoot her a mean look. Mutou arrives last, shaking his hair dry as he walks up the steps and urging the driver to get moving. Molly wrings out her braids and I do likewise with my own.

The floor of the bus is a mess of puddles, mud and soggy grass by the time the bus starts moving away from the park. I sneeze, and burst out laughing. Molly gives me a strange look, so I reply, 'I've just gotten over the cold.' She doesn't understand why that's funny, but bursts out with laughter herself. And so we alone laugh and joke as the other members just mutter discontentedly, the whole way back to Yamaku.
Last edited by Flopsy on Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
emi

Post by emi »

Flopsy wrote:1-09: Drift

There's always this strange cosiness to being in the school building after class hours.

'treat her as you would your glorious club president. Or I'll put you pack mule duty.'

'Then Miss Kapur your problem. I mean partner,'

'I just realised why we're here,'

So strange to think how so much of my life centres around those tiny, faraway lights.

Molly scolds a tired looking girl for knocking someone else's telescope.

but a lifetime of doctor's visits and switching medications makes is a different matter.
Coziness, put you on pack mule duty, Kapur is your problem, realized, centers, knocking down, makes his/it a different matter

You might want someone to proofread before you post. Still a good story though, keep it coming.
Flopsy

Post by Flopsy »

emi wrote:Coziness realized, centers
British English, again. We spell words differently.
emi wrote:knocking down, makes his/it a different matter
Neither of these are really incorrect, they could just be more correct. You'll probably see me do that a few times, it's just a personal taste thing. The knocking thing in particular is fine, you can knock something without knocking it entirely over.
emi wrote:put you on pack mule duty, Kapur is your problem
These two are missing prepositions though. I did have other route writers look over things when I originally wrote them, it's just often that someone doesn't notice a preposition, or it could have been lost after I edited a sentence that I was suggested to edit. But unless the sentence clearly reads just totally wrong without it, it was probably intentional.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

No complaints about British English - I prefer to use it myself.
Apart from the prepositions and the is/it typo already pointed out here's one more case of past tense:
I took a long sip of tea,

Sore wa himitsu desu.
emi

Post by emi »

Flopsy wrote:
British English, again. We spell words differently.
emi wrote:put you on pack mule duty, Kapur is your problem
These two are missing prepositions though. I did have other route writers look over things when I originally wrote them, it's just often that someone doesn't notice a preposition, or it could have been lost after I edited a sentence that I was suggested to edit. But unless the sentence clearly reads just totally wrong without it, it was probably intentional.

Fair enough on the first part, I guess it'll always be a bit weird for the rest of us,

I can't see how the last two could ever be correct without the prepositions unless you change put to assign on the first one.
Zerebos

Post by Zerebos »

This story is really cool so far, and its good to see Rika finally branching out in the latest installment!
rimvydasm

Post by rimvydasm »

i like this story so far.looking forward to the next update!
Lilly master race!
YeahWay

Post by YeahWay »

Wow, I haven't been on these forums in a long time, but I am so glad I came back and found this.

Your Rika is just phenomenal. She feels so real and genuine. I love how you get across all of her thoughts to us throughout and make her so relatable.

Really disappointed that it's not finished already haha. Guess I'll just have to wait on the edge of my seat until the next chapter comes out. Thank you for this great story