Can you learn to trust? (Original characters)

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Rogueldr44

Can you learn to trust? (Original characters)

Post by Rogueldr44 »

Hey y'all! Fairly new to this forum, but already an avid fanfiction reader!

I'll be clear, this is my first fanfiction, also the first text I've written for some time, and most of all, english isn't my native language :D.
So please point out any of the mistakes, and the clumsy style if need be.

To give you a little more context, I found out about Katawa Shoujo in an entirely random manner, like it happens so often on the internet, by seeing an ingame screencap on an unnamed (one of 4chan's rival) image sharing website. I did some research and spend nearly 5 days exploring all the possibilities of that game with a fascination for the quality of the plot and writing. I'll tell it right away, this game taught me things. I don't think this is the right place to discuss those things, and some of them are really personnal, but even now that I've finished all routes several time, I still come back to it, like I would do with any good book. I'm not one to discuss much as you could guess from my post count, but Katawa Shoujo is amongst my very important reading experience, and I've had quite a few.

Honestly, this fanfiction is a gamble. I spent so many hours playing Katawa Shoujo that I was mortified to reach the end of it, and finding all the great fanfiction posted on this forum made me reaaaaally happy.
In fact, I liked it so much that I decided to try my hand at it myself. So I began to write this story. But there were so many stories already that involved characters from the game that I decided to create 5 new characters, and use the others we all know and love as cameos, secondary characters, and also rarely as plot devices. Anyway, you'll see, just remember that there are mostly original characters here.

I will get that out of the way right now, most of the disabilities I chose for my characters aren't original or the main aspect of the plot whatsoever. What I mean is no-one is literally dying from their disease amongst the main characters. I should tell you a little bit about the two main though, as I think a little context is important.

For starters, this main arc of this story is told from the perspective of Keijiro Endo, a 18 years old boy who attended Yamaku since first year. His disease is revealed early, so no point in telling you ;). (Also, depending on the success, I may or may not write side stories, oneshots and shifted POV stories, so I'm not ruling that idea out.)
The other main character, aka the love interest, is a girl named Hoshiyo Tanaka. Same gig, more will be revealed soon.
I've been told that the names aren't original, I do realise that, but I decided to play it safe, using a website that gave japanese names meaning rather than creating my own.
So the story is about the interactions of those two, but there are three other original characters that are also involved and play an important part in the plot, and two others that only appear once in a while. More might appear, as I'm still in the process of writing, and constantly making changes.

I don't want to say too much, but I also don't know if I said enough, so I'll just go ahead with it and post the beginning. I actually did draw my five main characters, mainly to avoid the painful physical description, you know like "A picture is worth a thousand words" style, but I'm not overly confident with those and thus refrained from posting them now. Maybe later :D

Remember that I'm new to all this so there might problems with the way I post again, and of course, don't hesitate to make a suggestion or a comment. Feedback is appreciated, too.

Well that's all folks, on to the real thing now, shall we?

Table of contents:

Act 1: Your (quite not) usual teenager love story

Chapter 1: Some stones are best left unturned: Part 1 (next post); Part 2
Last edited by Rogueldr44 on Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
Rogueldr44

Re: Can you learn to trust? (OCs and other stuff involved)

Post by Rogueldr44 »

Act 1 : Your (quite not) usual tenager story
Chapter I : Some stones are best left unturned

Part 1 :

As I look at the familiar gates, I let out a sigh. Those gates always reminded me of why I was here. Of course, Yamaku was a nice place, with nice people, and it really feels like I am alright here, like I am just a teenager living the life of a teenager. This feeling is fleeting though, because what teenager must avoid every shock, see a nurse every 2 or 3 days, and take shots regularly so he doesn't die from internal bleeding ? Well anyway, this place has been my home for 2 years now, and I like it here, as much of an illusion as this school might be.

Oh but I forget the presentations, my name is Keijiro Endo. Wich is funny, since my first name means “Happy second son”. I like the contrast because my elder brother is actually pretty much okay, and I am the one in the disabled kids school. Well I guess that doesn't make me that unhappy, what I have is not the worse you could get, you just have to be careful. But still, had my parents know that it would turn that way, they probably would not have given me that name. I giggle internally at the thought, and all this brings me back to the reason I go to this school.

I have type A Haemophilia, wich means that my blood lacks capacity to coagulate normally. Basically, any shock has the potential to kill me, or at least to hurt me really badly if not taken seriously. Although, despite common belief, a benign cut would not kill me, internal bleeding in my muscles, joints and sometimes even brain can happen, and damage my body or even kill me in case I don't get help fast. Type A is the most common type of haemophilia, but it doesn't mean it's less serious, just that the mutation affects one coagulating factor and not another in my blood. I was diagnosed pretty early, as the symptoms are kind of obvious. I mean, a bruise the size of a frying pan is quite noticeable on a 4 years old boy. And I'm not even talking about the swelling knees.

As I said, my disease is managable. In fact, I could be in a normal school, I would just need to take extra care of myself, but an accident 3 years ago that almost had the best of me convinced my parents to put me here. They have always been paranoid about my disease, but only ever restrained me for engaging into serious sports or going out alone. They made sure there was always a friend with me. However, even prudence fails sometimes and the several weeks I spent in the hospital three years ago reminded me of this. Since then, I've been extra-careful, I don't like hospitals that much.

In a way, it isn't so bad being here. The campus is pleasant, and the uniform masks the different bruises I get -from basically even touching something too hard- on my body pretty well. People are nice and acceptative, but I've been here long enough to know that this was sometimes just a facade. After all, we are just normal teenagers in abnormal bodies, and sometimes, gripes, fights and such between groups happened. I've heard mean things being said between students, and some mock or even doubt the disability of others. Usually the staff adresses it fast enough, like they do with the ones that use their disability as a way of getting away with anything. And trust me, there have been some, although few, to be fair. Any way, that is what I like about that school, they don't just teach you how to live with your disability, but also how to live with others. I can't say I have many friends here, but the few I hung out with were always up for a laugh and a good time that didn't involve tackling or punching each other. If I should name just one, I'd say Genki Onoda, my best friend since 1st year, and probably the wisest of the two of us, although he can be quite reckless. There is also Hiroo Kinoshita, that ball of fun, who I've come to know during 2nd year, and who has since been the official mascot of our group, with his endless appetite and his refreshing jokes. Nomi Ueno comes to mind also, but more about her later. Right now I have to get to my room

As this train of thoughts finally passes by in my head, I decide to go through the gates and make my way to the dormitories, to meet my parents, who went on ahead with my stuff. I was given the same room, so almost all was left here last year, and I just have to fetch the keys and my uniforms. Lots of memories play in my mind when I walk in the dormitory building. All the stupid things I have done here with my friends, the sleepless nights playing video games and eating junk food in my room with and Genki. All the times I have hurt myself also, wich thankfully, weren't that much, and never too serious.

I make my way to the 3rd floor, careful not to slip in the stairs, and walk to room 325, wich has been my den since year 1. I smalltalk a bit with my parents as I help them with unpacking and storing my stuff, making the room slowly mine again. It is just about the way I left it last time, before the spring vacation. I took only what I needed for the vacation at my parent's, and left the rest here, so my gaming system, television and the many books I own, and also some other unimportant stuff are still where I left them. My father just did my bed, and is scolding me gently because he found some packets of junk food under it. I play it cool and apologise as I promise on my heart that I would never do such a thing again. I may be telling the truth, though, such habits combined with the lack of exercise have made me quite... out of shape is probably the best term for it. I'm not fat, but not a ball of muscle as well.

My parents really aren't that overprotective, but it is really them who insisted that I go to Yamaku. They didn't force me, but I felt like they really wanted me to, maybe only for me to see how others handled it. At least that's what I've come to think othe the years. Of course, I do not regret that decision now, but it was not always that easy. This school takes time to adapt too, and sometimes, I still can't help but walk on eggshells around other students because of their disabilities.

I'm rather lucky in that regard, since my condition is not that visible, if you except the fact that the slightest pinch leaves a bruise, and the regular injections of healthy plasma full of that precious factor VIII I need so much.
Anyway, we quickly finish cleaning and organising my room, and my parents bid me farewell and good luck, hugging me and telling me that I can call whenever I want. Then they are off, and I am alone. Hiroo, Genki, Nomi and the others are not to arrive for 3 days, just the day before school starts, so i just decide to stroll around the class buildings, to pass time.

I was assigned to class 3-4 this year, a class of mixed disabilities, like 3-3. By the way, if I remember well, there is another boy with haemophilia in 3-3, I wonder why I never talked to him...
Maybe because it would be too much like looking in a mirror. Anyway, Hiroo is also in 3-3, so maybe I'll have the opportunity to meet my companion of infortune.

Suddendly I realise that Shizune Hakamichi is in that class too, and I unvolontarily shiver a bit. This girl gives me the creeps sometimes. Once she saw me sitting alone in the cafeteria because my friends weren't there, and she then proceeded to try recruiting me in the student council for the next hour, with the help of her pink-haired shadow, Mikado, I believe her name is.

I brush the thought away. I managed to escape student council by entering the litterature club anyway, so I should be safe this year...
There is not a living thing in the building apart from me it seems. It is not that surprising, as school starts only in a week. I soon reach the door of class 3-4, and take a look at the list of people I am going to spend the year with. There is Genki of course, and Nomi as well, and also... Rin Tezuka. Again. Oh well, she sure is weird, but she doesn't bite. And she can be quite funny sometimes, even if I don't think she does it on purpose. I remember that time in second year when she just rose up in the middle of the class and left because the cloud she was looking at was no longer visible through the window. I think I have never seen a teacher so confused.

Focusing on my surroundings again, I step in the class a little just to take a look. It is... a classroom, really. Nothing stands out, apart maybe from the ceiling that seems to be about a meter too high. I don't know what I expected. I stand here for a few seconds and then turn around and start walking away, to just wander a bit more in the empty building.
I haven't walked for 3 meters that I feel a small tap on my shoulder and a soft and timid voice saying :

“A-are you in class 3-4, too ?” I heard a sigh, and the voice continued, “I... I just transfered today, and I don't know...”

The voice stops and I turn around to look at my interlocutor. It is a girl, about 1m65 tall, with ungroomed auburn hair, masking almost completly the left side of her face. Her deep green right eye looks at me, then quickly switches to the ground when I stare back at her. Her hands are hidden deeply in the belly pocket of her hoodie. She seems nervous, and I soon realise why. I see behind the hair that her left eye is barred by a patch of grey fabric, seemingly fixed to her face, since there is no visible string. How the hell did I not noticed that earlier ? I realise that I have not yet said anything and must be looking strangely at her, since I can see from the movement in the hoodie pocket that she is now clutching her hands together, her body tensed as if she was going to run away. I hope I didn't get a strange look. She must get that reaction a lot, and I should know better than do the same. I try to regain a serious composure, but fail in my try not to hesitate.

“Hum... ah... Yes, yes I am in 3-4,” I say clumsily “The name is Keijiro Endo, but you can call me Keiji.” Wow, man that was like the most plain and out of context introduction ever. And I sometimes wonder why I can't make new acquaintances...

It seems to relieve the tension though, if only a little, as she visibly relaxes a little, her shoulder coming down and her uneasy expression becoming a more neutral one. She takes my outstrechted hand anq shake it. “Hoshiyo Tanaka.”

Then she smiles shyly, and withdraws her hand, looks at me for a few seconds and then away again. Awkward silence falls. Well, what now ? I know this is my turn to talk, but what do I say ? Smalltalk or offer to visit the school ?
Oh what the hell, I don't have anything else to do today, I might as well show her around a bit since she's new. I scratch the back of my head as I say hesitantly :

“Sooooo... You want me to show you around a bit ?”

First Post|Next
Last edited by Rogueldr44 on Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mirage_GSM

Re: Can you learn to trust? (OCs and other stuff involved)

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Hello and welcome to the forums!

First of all we have a thread with some tips for novice writers that you might be interested in.

As for direct feedback to your story:
The spelling and grammar are okay; a few typos but nothing really worth mentioning.

You used (almost) the entire first chapter for introducing your character through internal monologue. While that is one step better than just posting a character bio at the top of the thread, it still feels quite unnatural.
Your character knows all this stuff about himself, so there's no real reason why he should spend all that time mentally going over all of it.
A better way of doing this would be to have all of this come up naturally in conversation with others. The end of your chapter would have been the perfect opportunity to do this: Your OC meets a character who does NOT know all of this, and he is going to show her around so, they'll have plaenty of stuff to talk about. If not every detail comes up in this first conversation that's fine. It can come up as soon as it's relevant for the story.

So to summarize, that first chapter was okay, but it would have been much better if you had started at the end - with him reading the class list meeting Hoshiyo - and continued from there.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Sharp-O

Re: Can you learn to trust? (Original characters)

Post by Sharp-O »

Hey Rogue, welcome to the boards mate!

I agree with Mirage, I think the first chapter would have been a little nicer if it was a conversation with Hoshiyo but for your first chapter, it wasn't too bad. Hope you post those character designs eventually. For OCs especially, it's nice to have an idea of what the characters look like.
Rogueldr44

Post by Rogueldr44 »

Actually this was more or less the only part of the story that will include such a long monologue. The point was to show how Keiji is when left alone. I realise it must look a little clumsy and heavy, but it is meant to unveil the most basic trait of the main character, which is overthinking and clutching on memories. I guess it made sense only for me :). Maybe that's because I enjoyed writing it, and did not realise how it would feel for the reader. I probably need a proofreader of some kind :roll:...
Well, as I said, the rest of the chapter and of what I wrote so far is much more based on dialogue than this. I hope it will be easier to read.

As for the characters design, they should be coming during the month, hopefully, if I'm not too lazy, hum I mean busy, of course.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback, and I'll make sure to post the next parts some time during this weekend ;)
Rogueldr44

Post by Rogueldr44 »

Chapter 1: Part 2! (Notes at the end.)

I'm not sure whether Hoshiyo accepted my offer because she was interested or out of stress. While nothing like that strange burned girl, Ikezawa, who goes out of her way to hide from others, she seems shy. We have been walking for about 10 minutes now, and no word escaped her mouth yet. She keeps her hands in the belly pocket of her white and blue hoodie and looks at things with a distracted and anxious eye. There is a touch of sadness also, I believe... I can understand why, though, she is thrown in an alien universe where nothing is familiar, and the school is in itself large and intimidating, with its huge park and numerous buildings and installations. I was probably like that myself when I first came here and the students who welcomed me showed me around.

The silence on her part is becoming quite unbearable, though.
To be fair, I did not say much either, just the essential about the places we come accross. I showed her the library, cafeteria and rooftop already, and we are now heading out in the park. However big this school is, once you know it, it becomes quite easy to go around, so I think it is important to show as much as I can.

I break the silence yet another time, with no response from my companion. “ This is the medical aisle, ” I say in a neutral voice pointing my finger at the building. “ The headnurse's office is here, as well as the pool and other stuff.” Stuff I have no idea what it is used for, by the way...

She nods but says nothing, and we continue our walk to the dormitories. Usually, the presence of a pool triggers some questions, but Hoshiyo seems completely unimpressed.

“I guess you already know of the dormitories?” I ask, sure of the answer.

“Well... A-actually no.” Those are the first words she says since her presentation, and she looks awfully ill-at-ease with them.

“You mean you don't have a room yet?” I ask in a surprised voice “I assumed your family had already helped you settle up?”

However innocent my remark has been, she seems to be taking it wrong. For a brief moment her eye opens wide, but closes just as fast, as if she was repressing a tear. When she speaks, her voice is a bit shaky.

“My sister will be dropping my things later.” She says so fast I can barely understand. “She is at w-work and there is nobody else that could come.”
The last part is muttered and she lowers her face to the ground.

It seems like she is about to cry. Wait, what did I do? This is really confusing and awkward, but I obviously said something wrong. I am lousy when it comes to those situations...
I scratch my head and put my hand on her shoulder.

“Hey... Whatever it was, I'm sorry I mentionned it, I should not have...”

“It... is okay, really.” she says, her tone still shaking. “You could not have known.” She is lightly shivering, as she says so. Her face is bowed in the direction of the floor, as much to avoid eye contact as to hide the incoming tears, I guess.

Sure enough, I spot a tear falling to the ground, followed by many others. But she does not sob, she is entirely silent. Hem, I just made a girl I know for only a few minutes cry, and I haven't got the slightest idea why. I really don't know what to do right now, so I just step towards her and hug her. There is no other thought in my mind than the will to confort her. I've always hated to see people cry. She is trembling a little bit more when my arms come around her, surprised probably, but she quickly accepts the embrace, taking her hands out of the pockets of her hoodie and putting them behind my back, as her head comes to rest on my shoulder. If I had guessed my innocent question would have such an outcome, I would have refrained from asking it...

The embrace lasts for an undetermined time, maybe for several minutes, but eventually it starts getting awkward. Besides, she seems to regain some sort of composure, wiping away the remaining tears with her hoodie's sleeve. She looks at me, and this time I focus my gaze only on her good eye. We separate and stand here awkwardly, none of us knowing what to do.

“Thank you.”She says, in a strangled voice.

I grin and reply “You are quite welcome!” Ugh... Idiot, she just cried for god knows what, and you just do the idiot like nothing happened.

She doesn't seem to mind, though, and a small and timid smile creeps on her face, before disappearing behind the serious stare mode.

I look at the sky. It is almost cloudless. By now, the sun is high up, and a quick look at my watch tells me it is already 1pm. There are too few students in the school for the cafeteria to be open, but I guess the Shangai should be. The little café is not exactly close neither cheap, but the food is good and the service usually suits the standards. I have plenty of good memories there. So I decide to soothe the atmosphere with the offer of food. It usually works.

“Do you want to grab something to eat?” I ask to my new classmate

She shrugs a bit, turns at me, and says :

“Yeah, what are you suggesting?”

It would seem that the food ritual still works!

I notice she appears to be far less anxious now, and even if it's only a little, she is smiling. Her speech is no longer hesitant, as well. The distracting thought of food worked its wonders. I smile, glad that we were able to break the tension. She was probably just scared and disoriented, and I just pressed the bad buttons... Maybe I'm saying that just because I want to make myself feel better, though.

“Well we can't go to the cafeteria, it's closed, but there is a café in the town nearby, called the Shangai, a nice and quiet place. Unless you prefer the convenience store?” I say jokingly. Who would prefer instant ramen and packed food to the appeal of a nice and fresh slice of delicious pie or cake, with a nice cup of tea?

She lets out a small and cute giggle. “The Shangai is fine.”

“This way, then!” I say enthusiastically while showing the gate with both my arms, bowing deeply, like a butler or some kind of overly polite waiter.

She giggles again, and heads to the gate, a small smile on her lips. I guess acting goofy always does the trick, especially when combined with the prospect of food.

-----

I think I missed walking down this hill a little, over the vacations. It has always been an airlock between the school and the 'Real' world. People here know about the school, and so it's common for them to see kids missing arms, legs, scarred, or whatever. With people like me, it's harder, and I sometimes catch a glance that says “Now what is wrong with this one?” But most simply don't care anymore. And most students are used to it as well.

As for my new companion, I notice she looks elsewhere when we cross the path of one of the rare locals. She must be self-conscious about her eye, but still not hiding it completely. Thanks to the hair that masks it, it's actually pretty hard to see if you're not staring.

We reach the Shangai after a short walk in silence. The familiar bell chimes as we get in, and the waitress, who is not Yuuko -I guess she is not here yet- seats us in a quiet corner. There is almost nobody here apart from us, and Hoshiyo seems much more relaxed. The quiet atmosphere seems to be working its charms, even with my reserved companion. We order a plate of sandwiches for the both of us, and then I order a tea and lemon pie, while Hoshiyo asks for a light soda and chocolate cake.

The same silence stands between us, but it is less painful and awkward than before. I decide to try and get her to talk a bit, just so she can feel safer and open a little more, hopefully.

“So, are you better now?” I ask casually, just to engage the conversation.

She nods and adds : “Sorry about that, It's been a rough week, and it is a whole new environment.” She says this with a distant look on her face, seemingly going through her thoughts. Her voice is very soft. She is not shy as I thought first, she is just a bit disoriented, and who can blame her? Coming in a new school, and having a stranger pressing on some painful spot...
I try to reassure her by talking a bit about my own first experience with Yamaku, maybe it will show her that this is big change to everyone.

“When I came here two years ago, I was just like you, I knew nobody, and everyone was so strange and scary...” I look at the ceiling as I recall my first day. It's like it was yesterday somehow. “I arrived two days before school started, so there were many students already. I remember they were nice, but they looked at me as if they were trying to guess what was wrong with me.” I giggle a bit to the memory, as I remember the face of embarassement that Genki pulled when I confronted him about it. And to think we would be best friends only weeks after that episode...

I look at Hoshiyo again and find her gazing at me, a serious, analytical glare on her face. There goes the 'What is wrong with you that you are in a school for the disable' face. I must have attracted her interest in knowing about why I am here with my story. I decide to play with her a bit.

“Something on my face?” I ask jokingly, pointing to my nose.

She shakes her head. “No, sorry, it's just I thought this was a school for disabled students, but you seem completely okay, and I wonder why you...”

Seriously? How bold! I let out a phony outraged gasp, and voluntarily puff out my cheeks to form a disapproving face. She stops when she sees it, and her eye opens wide, as she jumps halfway out of her seat.

“OH MY GOD, sorry I didn't mean to say it out loud!” She is nearly screaming and the other clients turn to us, no doubt questionning about the sudden commotion. Hoshyio sees that, and she just collapses back in her chair, looking at the ground, and blushing hard. The clients quickly go back to their business.

I look at her. If embarrassment had a face, she would be it right now. I find myself about to start laughing at what just happened. I'm quite used to being asked about my disability, and I guess it's because it's all the more intriguing since there is no apparent sign of it. Well that is until I fall down and swell.
I stay silent for a bit but can't hold my laughter in, as she seems to be willing to disappear in her seat. The sudden laughter startles her and her face jumps up, her mouth wide opened in surprise. I'm still laughing when I say :

“Hey, how crude of you! Not everyone likes to be asked about their disability... And besides, normal students are also accepted at Yamaku. Why could I not be one of those?” I stop, trying, and failing, to take a serious tone. “Ah, anyway I don't really mind. What I have is Haemophilia, wich means my blood doesn't coagulate well. Like, when I cut myself, the blood flows for a longer time, and shocks on my body can make lumps filled with blood if a vessel is broken.”

I really do not care talking about all of it, I was diagnosed when I was 3, so the disease is a significant part of my life, and I live along with it. Plus it is better if she knows, instead of freaking out at a swelling knee if I happen to fall, like it happened before. I usually tell the people I get close to, because with something like that, it is helpful that whoever you are with knows how to react.

She still seems ashame and tense, but it looks like my words calmed her a little. She is now sitting normally, and looks at the table, still blushing, but noticeably less embarassed. She sighs, closing her eye and says in a shy voice :

“I'm really, really sorry for being so rude, it just kind of came out, and I forced you to bring it up.” she says, shaking awkwardly in her seat. “It just surprised me how normal you look.” She doesn't insist on my disease, but more on her mistake.

I grimace at her employ of the word 'normal', though. “You know, everyone is normal here. Our bodies are damaged, but inside we are just like everyone else.”

She seems to be doubting that, but doesn't argue. I can tell she is eager to change the subject.

“For my part I think it is quite obvious why I am here...” her good eye wanders around the room to avoid my gaze.

I look at her eyepatch instinctively, and smile. “It is indeed. Relax, now, it's alright, just remember to have more tact with other people, some are not in good terms with their disability. It's kind of an unspoken rule around here not to talk to someone about it unless they do it first.”

A rule some don't seem to know or care about, like Tezuka, who straight out of nowhere extorted the information out of me by implying that my problem involved my manhood. What could I do but tell her ? I had to defend my male honor, didn't I ?
On a more serious note, now that I think about it, this kind of mistake Hoshiyo just made is common ground at Yamaku, and I think everyone took a step on such a landmine at least once. It's hard to be careful enough to never hurt anyone. But Yamaku actually helps one come to terms with their condition most of the time, so in the end, making such step off the line is not considered a big deal for most students.

I notice that Hoshiyo is back to her calmer self. It looks like she is honest at least. I decide to joke around her earlier discomfort by playing her own game of 'Ask tactless questions casually'.

“So, why come to Yamaku?” I ask, “Apart for the eye, I mean.” I smile widely to let her know I'm joking and she sticks her tongue out. It's good to see her embarassment is going away bit by bit. She is smiling genuinely at last. Sunshine after rain, praise the lord, etc...

“I guess I heard only good things about it, but it is mostly because it was the school for disabled that was the closest to my home.” she makes a pause, sighs and continues, like it is a burden to say the next sentence “Also, I did not want to go back to my old school now that...” Her voice jerks and she stops, taking a sip of her soda.

Oh so it is recent then... I understand why she is so clumsy about it, now. The loss of her eye understandably isn't the best subject. Better not to insist on it. Silence settles once again, as only the rattle of cutlery is heard. I silently bless whoever invented lemon pie. This thing tastes like heaven wrapped in an outer shell of meringue. After a minute of eating, she suddenly and unexpectedly breaks the silence.

“Why, I mean, why did you choose Yamaku?” She looks at me with an interested eye.

Oh, that is a pretty complicated story actually... But I guess I can try to cut it short.

“Well it's certainly not because of proximity, I used to live in Kyushu, near Fukuoka, but my parents had a blind friend who went here in Yamaku, and told them it was the best days of his life. It's a coincidence I guess, or some kind of destiny stuff.” I laugh softly, and then stop and hesitate about telling her about the other reason. Hum, maybe later.

“But it is so far from your home !” She says on a surprised tone, “Don't you miss it sometimes?”

“Sure, sometimes, it was a lovely place, but I'm used to here, now. I have much more freedom here, with the knowledge that if something happens, the staff is here.” It is not always entirely true, of course, but they can intervene quickly, and they know what they are doing... Besides, I also tend to limit myself because accidents can bring a lot of pain, and if I can avoid it, I'm fine with the idea of being somewhat idle.

Hoshiyo seems to be taking in the facts slowly, lost in thought, as if she was trying to process something to say after all that revelations. Finally she looks at me and says with a smile : “You seem to be feeling alright in this school... Like you are actually at home here.” She pauses and looks away evasively, her cheeks a little red and then asks in a very low voice : “Will you help me make myself at home, also?”

I think I am blushing a little too. It is very strangely put, and i can't help but wonder if she meant something more than her words said... Nah, I'm overthinking this, she is just asking me to show her around and to hang with her before she can get to know other people better. She probably noticed I was lost in thoughts since a half expectant, half embarassed smile is now showing on her face. God, get it together Keiji, it's nothing.

“Of course, we're here for the whole year after all.”

----------------------------------------
NOTES

So there it is, the true beginning of the story, part 1 being that bulky introduction/monologue.
This is way more dialogue oriented, and so is the rest of the chapter, but you'll see that.
Actually, The first act is almost fully redacted, so it means that i have a little less than a dozen of those, more or less the same size, ready. I'm planning to live on that stock for the next two weeks, to give myself time to write more and also finish those damn drawings. I hope that I will be done sometimes next week, or the one after.

Anyway, feedback and advices are appreciated, hope you enjoy it!

Previous|First Post|Next
Last edited by Rogueldr44 on Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Rogueldr44 wrote:Actually this was more or less the only part of the story that will include such a long monologue. The point was to show how Keiji is when left alone. I realise it must look a little clumsy and heavy, but it is meant to unveil the most basic trait of the main character, which is overthinking and clutching on memories. ...
Well, as I said, the rest of the chapter and of what I wrote so far is much more based on dialogue than this. I hope it will be easier to read.
There's nothing wrong with an introspective character, and it wasn't particularly hard to read either.
It's just that all this information could have more elegantly be introduced later on. For example, when he told Hoshiyo about his haemophilia in this chapter that would have been an opportunity for him to reminisce about that time he spent in his hospital or about the time he was diagnosed.
All that info about his friends could have been offered when he first met them and so on.
Like I said it's more a tip for any future stories you write than a recommendation to go back and change it.

One small detail: Your OC can't have come to Yamaku three years ago - he is just now starting his third year.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Hesmiyu
Location: England, United Kingdom, British Isles, Europe, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by Hesmiyu »

Mirage_GSM wrote:One small detail: Your OC can't have come to Yamaku three years ago - he is just now starting his third year.
unless of course he was held back a year :P. But yeah, it should be 2 years ago right?
The line below is false.
The line above is true.

Being disabled is just differently abled differently labelled.

My art: http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=10190
Swim story(Currently 11 chapters long) http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=10221
Rogueldr44

Post by Rogueldr44 »

I still can't understand why I did not think about it. You're right of course, I think I was distracted. Thanks for picking that one up.