The Fixers - "School Daze" 28-9-15

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Skeeve

Re: The Fixers - "A Stranger Comes To Call" 19-9-15

Post by Skeeve »

Our gang of misfits really has come together as a very competent team, haven't they?

I do have a couple of half-formed ideas about what's going on with that painting as well. (Although I have no idea why Shin sees Death in a schoolgirl's outfit)
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

At this point, I have to ask: what is left of KS in this, other than the names of some characters?

While the writing in itself is decent, the setting is not even similar, the characterizations are not even similar, and the plot is not even similar. Losing one or even two out of the three might get by, but by this point aren't you essentially writing about something entirely else?

...And well, the question is not entirely academic. Because if this really is as KS-unrelated as I'm making it out to be, in the end it has no place on the forums. I'm honestly looking for examples disproving my theory.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Sharp-O

Post by Sharp-O »

Okie-dokie, Silent. Lemme get to your points in order.
Silentcook wrote:At this point, I have to ask: what is left of KS in this, other than the names of some characters?
You're totally right. The cast I'm using is by far and away the most outlandish divergence from the established KS lore that this forum has ever seen. I'll admit that these characters are almost nothing like their original incarnations but I have to ask, what's so wrong with that? The links to established lore may be tenuous and the histories drastically different but that's part of the fun of a bat-shit insane crack story about multiversal heroes who happen to be loose reincarnations of characters people know.
Silentcook wrote:While the writing in itself is decent, the setting is not even similar, the characterizations are not even similar, and the plot is not even similar. Losing one or even two out of the three might get by, but by this point aren't you essentially writing about something entirely else?
Saying my writing is decent is probably the nicest thing you've said to me since I got here so I'm taking that as a win :) But can I remind you of a few other stories?

Emi in Wonderland
Fewer Options
The Limbless Wonders
Titanium

These, and a fair few others, all have non-standard settings and this story is no different, really. I'm just going that little bit farther, adding multiple non-standard settings into one story within an established framework. Does this mean all the stories will have superpowers and magic bullshit? Certainly not. Many of the ideas I have are for more standard settings but with a little twist. Like helping a genderbent Hisao stuck on a Kenji route or a universe where some of the disabilities are switched and how that would affect certain characters. The cast is also very likely to change, with characters a little closer to their roots being introduced over time.
Silentcook wrote:...And well, the question is not entirely academic. Because if this really is as KS-unrelated as I'm making it out to be, in the end it has no place on the forums. I'm honestly looking for examples disproving my theory.
If you don't like it, that's perfectly alright, not every fic is for every one. There are plenty of fics I either dislike or I am indifferent to for various reasons but I would never tell anyone that their story has no place here just because it doesn't fit my personal view of how characters should be portrayed or how the story plays out. If the story was met with more derision, I would definitely think twice about stopping it all together but given the positive responses I've had, I'm not likely to.

People seem to dig it and I enjoy writing it so where's the harm?
swampie2

Post by swampie2 »

Couldn't Lilly look through the thief's eyes to see where they're going? :wink:

What happens if Kenji forms his barrier while somebody moves through it, does it cut them in half?

Now we've got death gun to deal with, I kind of hope they become the big bad boss for a little while though.

Interesting chapter, I'm looking forward to seeing where this painting dealio goes, even if I have to read it elsewhere. :)
One Shots - My stories thread.
Decadent Albatros

Post by Decadent Albatros »

swampie2 wrote:Interesting chapter, I'm looking forward to seeing where this painting dealio goes, even if I have to read it elsewhere. :)
Do we go full Braveheart now or later? :lol:
Skeeve

Post by Skeeve »

You may take our threads but you'll never take our reading?
Sharp-O

Post by Sharp-O »

AntonSlavik020 wrote:Another mystery character. Judging by the advanced tech, I imagine it's another dimension jumper, though this one may be doing it for more selfish reasons. Can't wait to find out more about him/her.
You'd be pretty on the money with that assessment, Anton :D
Decadent Albatros wrote:I like what you did with the painting. I have some ideas around it, but in order not to make an ass of myself I'll wait for further developments.
Skeeve wrote:
I do have a couple of half-formed ideas about what's going on with that painting as well. (Although I have no idea why Shin sees Death in a schoolgirl's outfit)
Obviously, these are little teases for what's coming up :wink:
swampie2 wrote:Couldn't Lilly look through the thief's eyes to see where they're going? :wink:

What happens if Kenji forms his barrier while somebody moves through it, does it cut them in half?

Now we've got death gun to deal with, I kind of hope they become the big bad boss for a little while though.
The answers to your questions are:
Yes, but the Sendai Shadow gave prior warning because who doesn't like a classy thief with some showmanship? As for L'Etranger... Maybe she could.

It's more than possible, it'll happen. His barriers are equally as capable of being offensive as defensive.

Death Gun? Nothing that bad. He might be an antagonist but the big bad boss? Naaaah
Decadent Albatros wrote:
swampie2 wrote:Interesting chapter, I'm looking forward to seeing where this painting dealio goes, even if I have to read it elsewhere. :)
Do we go full Braveheart now or later? :lol:
Skeeve wrote:You may take our threads but you'll never take our reading?
I already have a rousing speech in mind... :wink:
brythain

Post by brythain »

I do indeed think that this fic owes more to Judd Winick's 'Exiles', thematically, than it does to KS.
As someone who occasionally does write what might be thought of as transgressive with respect to being fanfic, I understand your position.
But there are times I do wish these characters seemed more familiar. :)
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Sharp-O

Post by Sharp-O »

brythain wrote:I do indeed think that this fic owes more to Judd Winick's 'Exiles', thematically, than it does to KS.
As someone who occasionally does write what might be thought of as transgressive with respect to being fanfic, I understand your position.
But there are times I do wish these characters seemed more familiar. :)
Exiles was one of the major inspirations, as well as elements of shows like Sliders and Kamen Rider Decade (the idea of the Shanghai being able to dimension-hop comes from there)

But I got the message loud and clear. I'll be sure to make this a little more KS-related in future installments, both in terms of content and character :)
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Well, concerning your examples, and keeping in mind that as a rule they take the plot into... new and unexpected directions:
"Emi in Wonderland" keeps the characterization (or attempts to). It also imploded in the span of three days, though for mostly unrelated reasons.
"Fewer Options" is a very-short-short in the middle of a collection.
"The Limbless Wonders" is set in Yamaku, and the characterization is still there.
"Titanium" is probably the closest to your take, and therefore the worst offender, but at a length of one mid-sized post, it wasn't worth the trouble. You see, it isn't entirely coincidental that I came posting here exactly one month after you began.

My liking or not liking something really has nothing to do with the forum rules - if it did, I have estimated that the Fan Fiction section would be about 5% of its current size. Nor does audience approval.

I'm not talking deletion in any case - heck, you can go look at the few locked horrors to see that if those didn't deserve it, your stuff doesn't either - but I have very mixed feelings about this having gone on this long with hardly anything redeemable and no end in sight. You having to write with one arm metaphorically bent behind your back would not do any favors to you or your stuff, nor really do anything about all you've put up already. Maybe the implied suggestion to archive your stuff elsewhere, a la Bromont, would be best?
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Hesmiyu
Location: England, United Kingdom, British Isles, Europe, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by Hesmiyu »

If Lilly uses her ability to look through other people's eyes, would she see what that person sees on the painting or would it be what she sees?
The line below is false.
The line above is true.

Being disabled is just differently abled differently labelled.

My art: http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=10190
Swim story(Currently 11 chapters long) http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=10221
Sharp-O

Post by Sharp-O »

Just a heads up for everyone. From now on, The Fixers will be on fanfiction.net and will be linked to from here. I know it's an utter ball-ache and believe me, I would love to keep posting it here for your convenience but if it keeps the story going without me getting an earful, it has to be done. The next chapter will be up tomorrow because I have to wait 12 hours for the site to let me post. Bastards

I hope this change won't affect the readership too harshly and I thank you all for your continued support.

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve »

Sharp-O wrote:
Skeeve wrote:You may take our threads but you'll never take our reading?
I already have a rousing speech in mind... :wink:
Sharp-O wrote:I hope this change won't affect the readership too harshly and I thank you all for your continued support.
READING! :mrgreen:

In all seriousness, I look forwards to your next installment, no matter where it's posted.
swampie2

Post by swampie2 »

I hope this change won't affect the readership...
I'll still be reading it!
One Shots - My stories thread.