The First Week –A Soon-hee Story Conclusion Update!

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Hoitash

Re: The First Week –A Soon-hee Story (Updated 10/09)

Post by Hoitash »

Mirage_GSM wrote:
Also the Christmas Special, since I finished the New Year’s Special days ago. And three or or four novellas, but I’ve stopped counting those by now.
I was going to comment on how you manage to keep TWO stories updating regularly at the same time, but now I'm not sure why I should even bother...
You caught me. I'm a wizard. Hence why I have a magical girl half-homonculus apprentice helping me save New England from the zombie apocalypse.

I think Helbereth is a wizard, too, but I'm not sure.

If only he was a cleric he could heal and get back to work sooner not that I'm complaining being in that much pain sucks diseased moose wang trust me I've been there.
"Who are you, that do not know your history?" -Ulysses
Misha Time: United States of Misha Meet the Hakamichis
Awesome, served on the rocks: Hisao and Kenji- Master Detectives! (Check out the Archive for more!)
I wrote a book! Brythain edited it! If you like mystery and history please consider: A Sister's Habit
"You are absolutely insane. And entertaining." -griffon8
Hoitash

Re: The First Week –A Soon-hee Story Conclusion Update!

Post by Hoitash »

And so we come to the final chapter.

Well, let’s get to it then. Ave Imperator! WORDS FOR THE WORD GOD! TROPES FOR THE TROPE THRONE!

…I’m on a lot of Fireball for my sore throat right now. Anywho:

Previous Chapter

Chapter Twenty-One: Full Circle

I don’t actually process the realization that I’ve been at Yamaku for a full week until I’m at the pool. That fact is a little startling, but I don’t want it to distract me right now, so I do my laps and a few extra to make up for not having anything else to do all day.

When I finish, I’m breathing hard and my eyes sting a bit from the chlorine, but my mind is properly clear and blank, which is what I wanted.

While I towel off, Isobe wanders over to me, smiling tiredly, “You really went for it today, didn’t you?”

I lower the towel from my hair and turn to her, smiling from the endorphins and a clear head, “Yeah. Felt good to push myself again. Fortunately I don’t have PE tomorrow.”

There’s still club practice, but I can always cut down on my laps tomorrow.

“Sounds like you got the hang of this place,” Isobe remarks.

I shrug, “Maybe. I’m sleeping better now, at least.”

Possibly because I was just tired from the previous week of rocky sleep, but I’ll take what I can get.

Isobe smiles at me, “That’s always a good thing. Well, I don’t wanna keep you.”

“You’re not,” I state, “I don’t have anything planned for today, and I appreciate your concern. Thank you.”

Isobe blinks at me a few times, then grins, “No problem, Kim. I like having you around –keeps me awake, and you’re fun to talk to.”

I don’t even talk that much.

Kenji said when people say that, it means you’re a good listener. Which is good, I guess.

Isobe goes back to walking around the pool, while I towel off, shower, change, and grab some breakfast.

Okay, a lot of breakfast. I swam a lot, I’m hungry, and I like breakfast food.

Actually I like pretty much any food. Except instant oatmeal. Never. Again.

It’s on my way back to my room that I finally start to mull over the fact that I’ve been here a week. It seems like longer, and yet like it was practically yesterday. Maybe it’s because I’m still getting used to being out of the hospital, where time just sort of slogged along. Even with my schoolwork and training back then, things seemed so… I don’t want to say lifeless, but like that. Like everything was in grayscale or something. Maybe because it was temporary, and everyone involved knew it, so it lacked any real vitality or permanence.

Or I’m over-thinking it. Maybe I’ll bring it up with the Doc Saturday.

With nothing else to do until lunch, I head back to my room, taking my time and enjoying my walk through the grounds. It’s a bit cool outside, but I have a jacket. There is a slight breeze, though, and it makes my nose twitch a bit, as my allergy meds haven’t quite kicked in yet.

Or I need a stronger dosage….

My throat’s not dry or scratchy, though, so maybe it’s just the wind.

When I get to the dormitory I pause just inside the doors. There’s a girl about to make her way up the stairs, and I know I’ve seen her before, but…

Ah. Right.

The girl, dressed in her Western Sunday best, saw me enter the building, and, smiling lightly, waves briefly and greets, “Good morning, Soon-hee.”

“Good morning, Nakajima-Sempai,” I return the greeting and as I walk over to the stairs, I once again see her silver crucifix necklace. I wonder…, “Are you back from a service?”

Nakajima nods.

Guess she’s the real deal, then.

The two of us are just standing awkwardly at the foot of the steps, like we’re trying to have a conversation, but aren’t quite sure how. Nakajima is shuffling her feet a bit, so maybe she just wants to leave. Best to hurry this along.

Thinking of something to say, I end up with, “I didn’t know there was a church in town.”

“There’s not,” Nakajima states, “I go into the city.”

“Oh.”

That explains why we ran into each other. We both got up early.

Well, that was a stimulating conversation. Rather than try and say anything else, I just start climbing the stairs. Nakajima follows me, matching my pace despite her still fidgeting feet.

Am I really making her that nervous? Or… maybe it’s her condition?

“So how was the service?” I ask, once again groping for a conversation to try and make this as least awkward as possible.

“Hmm?” Nakajima seems surprised I spoke, “Oh, it was lovely.”

I nod, as I once again have nothing to say.

We reach our floor and make our way down the hall to our rooms. When I get to mine, Nakajima turns to me and smiles.

“Have a good day, Soon-hee.”

I smile and nod, “Thanks... God be with you," I offer.

Nakajima smiles, says a quick "Thank you," and heads down the hall to her room.

So that happened. She seems nice. I wonder why she and Maiko don’t get along?

Maybe Maiko blames her for the rumor-mongering in the occult club.

Moving on from my encounter with the reclusive senior, I open my door, close it, kick off my shoes, and set my bag down. With nothing to do, I figure I may as well read the books I checked out from the library. If I finish one I can return it and spend some time on the computer after lunch. Maybe send a message to Kenji.

My reading is interrupted some time later by a series of knocks outside. I jump and turn to the door, and I hear a muffled voice calling from the hallway.

Is that Maiko?

I hear knocking again, but now that I’m focused on it I realize it’s not on my door. It sounds like Maiko is knocking on Setsuko’s door.

I try and go back to my reading, but I can hear them talking in the hallway, and my innate fight or flight response has got me too geared up, so I stand by the door and listen in while hoping things don’t escalate.

Not that I expect them to, but the rodent in me isn’t going to go away easily.

“It’s not my fault the book club went to hell in a handcart and needed me to play damage control,” Maiko pleads.

“Well I can’t fault you for that,” Setsuko says. I can her sigh before continuing, “alright, come on in and I’ll catch you up as best I can. And since you knocked loud enough to wake the dead, you may as well ask Sonny for help, too.”

I sense an incoming Maiko.

Somehow, I’m not surprised when Maiko knocks on my door.

“Hey Muscles, you in there?” she calls.

“Yes,” I reply.

I open the door to see Maiko standing in front of it, a collection of books, notebooks, and pencils clutched in one hand as her other prepares to rap once again on my now open door.

“Oh. Hi,” Maiko says, apparently unprepared for my rapid response. She rallies quickly, though, and with her weary eyes practically pleading at me, asks, “Did you finish your Japanese homework?”

“Yes,” I reply, “I finished all my homework yesterday.”

“Great! Could you help me with mine? I swear that old bat has it out for me, and this way we aren’t bothering Setsuko as much.”

“Except for the part where you’re using mah room to study,” Setsuko retorts.

I lean sideways a bit so I can see our senior, who’s grinning as she leans against her threshold, clad in a kimono jacket and a purple t-shirt several sizes too big. She’s not wearing her leg again. Or pants, for that matter.

Never change, Setsuko..

“I don’t want to impose,” I say.

Setsuko waves the air in front of her, “You ain’t an imposition, Sonny. And neither is Maiko, so come on in and set up while I make some tea.”

Setsuko turns around and heads back into her room, leaving the door open for Maiko and me. Maiko turns and walks into the room, while I grab my book, some pencils, my notebook, and several boxes of Pocky sticks –no reason not to be a good guest, after all.

I close and lock my room and head into Setsuko’s room, closing the door behind me.

Setsuko’s sitting at the table preparing tea, while Maiko is sitting in front of the small shrine; I guess she took Setsuko’s words yesterday seriously.

I take the spot opposite Setsuko and put my stuff down, muttering, “I brought snacks.”

Setsuko grins, “Thank you kindly.”

I turn to look at the shrine, where the old photo of who I presume is Setsuko’s great-grandfather is looking down at us. Maiko finishes paying her respects and takes the seat to my left, where her stuff was waiting. Fortunately the table’s large enough her being on my left side won’t be a problem.

“Thanks for having us over,” Maiko states.

“No problem,” Setsuko says, “Sonny brought snacks.”

Maiko grins, “Great! Thanks for that.”

“No problem,” I say, my gaze still towards the old photo. Remembering yesterday’s conversations, I turn to Setsuko and ask, “Did you say he,” I jerk my head towards the shrine, “was your great-grandfather?”

Setsuko nods, “Yeah. My grandparents were pretty busy, but when ah was laid up in the hospital he visited me all the time. Even gave me his cane when ah got my leg,” she turns toward the photo and sighs wistfully, “He died not long after I was released.”

“I’m sorry.”

Setsuko turns an eye to me, then shrugs, “He got to see me walk with two legs again, so to speak. That was all he really wanted near the end, ah think.”

I nod in lieu of anything else to say, then offer one of the boxes to Setsuko, who opens it and starts eating.

“Thanks,” Setsuko says.

“Least I could do for imposing on you,” I state, “Twice.”

Setsuko rolls her eyes, “You ain’t intrudin’- I just gotta make sure this one-” she jerks a thumb at Maiko, who sticks out her tongue at the senior, “Doesn’t start geekin’ out or somethin’.”

“Too late,” Maiko says grinning as she explains, “I’m in her room, and you can’t take that from me,” she glances at Setsuko’s futon, “I wonder if the bed I’ll get will be the same one she slept in….”

Somehow that kind of thing doesn’t seem creepy when she says it. Or I’m just used to her fangirling.

That was quick. Then again, we do hang out a lot.
Awesome, served on the rocks: Hisao and Kenji- Master Detectives! (Check out the Archive for more!)
I wrote a book! Brythain edited it! If you like mystery and history please consider: A Sister's Habit
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

Part II:

Setsuko glares at Maiko, “You done yet?”

Maiko stares at the futon for a couple moments before looking down at her unopened books. Sighing she says, “Yeah, let’s get this over with.”

I open a box and nudge it toward her, “Here, they’ll help.”

Setsuko grins and offers the weary girl a cup of tea, “Here, it’s dangerous where yer goin’, take this.”

Maiko smirks and takes the tea, “Thanks.”

While Maiko opens her books and sips her tea, Setsuko offers me a cup, which I accept with a muttered thanks. The tea isn’t green, and smells like cinnamon.

Must be some of what she bought yesterday.

I take a gentle sniff while Maiko sorts out her work. Definitely smells like cinnamon, and something else. I take a careful sip, both because I’m unsure of the flavor and because it’s really hot.

“Ah pick up this flavor every once in a while,” Setsuko explains, “It’s good on its own, but ah usually add honey. Ah didn’t add any to yours, though.”

“Thank you,” I say.

Setsuko nods, and I crack open a box of sticks while sorting through my work. Once it’s sorted out, Maiko immediately begins copying my Japanese homework.

“You won’t learn anything if you do that,” I chide.

Maiko shrugs, “I’ll learn to write the kanji, and that’s good enough for me.”

Setsuko and I sigh, and after a combined glare at Maiko, she sighs and starts studying properly.

When did I become so academically responsible?

I feel I should point out that Maiko’s reluctance to do the work isn’t because she can’t handle it, but because it’s tedious, involved, and easy to screw up if you aren’t paying attention. That last one, I suspect, was the big problem –if it wasn’t a book or a conversation about a book, Maiko’s attention tended to wander quickly. Fortunately Setsuko and I were there to keep her on track.

Unfortunately, the work I had done wasn’t the best example of how not to piss off our crotchety Japanese teacher.

Peering from over her tea, Setsuko sighs as she glances at my notes, “Your pronoun use is way off-kilter, Sonny.”

I look up from making sure Maiko is using her book to eye the senior, “Enjoying the irony?”

Setsuko grins, “A-yup. Gimme your notes, I’ll try and set you to rights.”

I grimace and push my notebook over to her, “Thanks.”

“No problem,” she states.

Maiko sighs, “Great, now what I’m I gonna do?”

“Sit patiently like a good underclassman,” Setsuko mumbles.

“Read the book?” I suggest, “It’s not like you have any more work after this, right?”

Maiko looks down at her half-empty tea cup and doesn’t say anything.

Setsuko looks up from her efforts to re-Babel my notes, “What else you got tah do?”

“Um…” Maiko mumbles.

Setsuko frowns, “Didn’t catch that.”

“Math…and… science….”

Setsuko and I sigh again.

“Good grief,” Setsuko grumbles.

Maiko looks up, “Hey, I did my English and social studies homework.”

“I’m not surprised,” Setsuko remarks. Sighing again, she smirks and jabs her pencil at the door, “Go grab your other books while I sort out Sonny’s efforts to sound highfalutin.”

“…What?” I ask.

“Nuttin’,” Setsuko drawls, scribbling away as she adds, “Could you grab your science and math books, too? This might take a while.”

I’m not sure how to take that

“I’m not sure how I should take that,” I blurt.

Shit. Bad Brain.

Maiko grins at me, “Think of it as a compliment and a testament to your scholarly efforts that you’ve been co-opted to help me study.”

“Yeah,” Setsuko says, “That. Now go git your other books.”

Maiko sighs and gives the senior a weary smile, “Thanks. I owe you one.”

Setsuko snorts, “Damn right. Now git goin’ before ah change my mind about helpin’ you.”

Maiko nods and gets up. I follow her lead, grabbing a box of Pocky sticks for the trip as we leave to get more books.

On the way out of her room, I hear Setsuko sigh and mutter, “We’re gonna need more tea.”

Maiko rolls her eyes, but doesn’t say anything.

After grabbing our books and notes, Maiko and I head back to Setsuko’s room. She poured us fresh tea while we were out, and we both take a moment to relax before getting back to work.

My Japanese notebook is in front of me on the desk again. It looks like originally Setsuko had tried to make suggestions in the margins to get me on the right track, but gave up and rewrote my notes with her guide next to it, with hastily scrawled notes along the sides.

“Wow,” I say, “I didn’t think we were gone that long.”

Setsuko shrugs, her hands wrapped around her tea cup, “I’m a fast writer.”

Maiko leans forward slightly to look over the notes, “Wow, cool. This’ll be a breeze now.”

I glance at her, “I’m still not letting you copy it.”

Maiko sighs and nods, “Yeah, yeah.”

“And you still got the rest of your homework,” Setsuko reminds her.

Maiko sigh agains, “I know. I hate it when this happens, but it’s not like I had a choice.”

“Shit happens,” I state, “You just gotta deal with it and move on.”

Easier said than done, in some cases.

Maiko smirks, nods, and sets her tea down, “Alright, then. Let’s do this.”

Setsuko grins, “That’s our Maiko! Do a good job and I’ll buy us all pizza.”

Yay free food. Wait, she included me?

I guess I’m still getting used to the idea of being included. At least I seem to be fitting in, and I’m even helping one of my classmates with her homework. Well, Setsuko’s helping me so I can help Maiko because we have the same worse subjects, but it still counts.

I should let Kenji know. He’d be thrilled at how well I’m adjusting. So would Miya-san.

I should email them again tonight. A lot happened this weekend, but it was definitely fun. Sure my week was a bit rough –mostly from poor sleep- but things are getting better, and as long as my allergy meds hold out, I should be fine.

Well, at least until the rainy season.

A great while ago the world begun /With hey, ho, the wind and the rain /But that's all one, our play is done /And we'll strive to please you every day.

+++

THE END

And so the story ends, as all stories must.

I had fun writing this, and I hope you had fun reading it.

Until next time… seriously, did I run out of smokebombs again? Wow. Damn zombies.

Alright, then. See you around, folks. Like, in my Halloween Special thread, for example.
Command13

Post by Command13 »

I read that all the way through while listening to my Sabaton Pandora station playing, that was interesting. The story was awesome, I really like Soon-hee as a character.
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

Command13 wrote:I read that all the way through while listening to my Sabaton Pandora station playing, that was interesting. The story was awesome, I really like Soon-hee as a character.
...I need to get Pandora, apparently, because I could use more Sabaton in my life :)

Anywho, thanks, glad you liked it :). Making OC's is always a tricky business, so I'm glad I did well with her.
Command13

Post by Command13 »

I always enjoy the 40K references in your fics.
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

Command13 wrote:I always enjoy the 40K references in your fics.
:)

Only in death does duty end.
griffon8

Post by griffon8 »

All right, I’m finally catching up on this forum. Yes, it has been a while. No, I don’t know when I’ll finish catching up.

In the meanwhile, I have to comment on Hoitash’s stories as I finish them.

It’s always interesting to see stories in the world you’ve created. Soon-hee has become an interesting character. It’s good to create whole new ones instead of only relying on characters from the game. And in the truly down-to-earth nature of this story, she avoids being any kind of a Mary Sue. After all, as entertaining as the Master Detective stories are, the over-the-top nature of them creates characters who wouldn’t be acceptable outside of their genre.

Now, on to corrections!

Chapter 6:
Its proximity
Also, two milk crates don’t seem to be enough for a desk, unless it’s really low to the floor. Four is much more plausible.

Chapter 8: Not a correction, just referencing The Girl From Ipanema is amusing to me.

Chapter 9:
to get used to this

Chapter 11:
deny its beauty
She’s stiller wearing

Chapter 19:
apologized to the other member

Not a whole lot, but you did have Mirage catching things as the story was going.

Were strikethroughs always this light in appearance?
I found out about Katawa Shoujo through the forums of Misfile. There, I am the editor of Misfiled Dreams.

Completed: 100%, including bonus picture. Shizune>Emi>Lilly>Hanako>Rin

Griffon8's Writing
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

griffon8 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:23 am All right, I’m finally catching up on this forum. Yes, it has been a while. No, I don’t know when I’ll finish catching up.
You have until 2 PM tomorrow ;)

Chapter 6:
Its proximity
Also, two milk crates don’t seem to be enough for a desk, unless it’s really low to the floor. Four is much more plausible.
Fair point; even Sonny's not that short.
Chapter 8: Not a correction, just referencing The Girl From Ipanema is amusing to me.
That and Downtown (thanks to Will & Grace) are forever stuck in my head as elevator music.
edits
...Remind me to make you an offer if Brythain dies.