Emi Epilogue - Stopping Short (UPDATED 5/25/2015: CHAPTER 5)

WORDS WORDS WORDS

scratchminus

Re: Emi Epilogue - Stopping Short (UPDATED 4/8/2015: CHAPTER

Post by scratchminus »

...that's actually a good question... I'll get back to you on that. *runs away*

Thinking about it now, I'm not really too sure about my intent when I wrote that line. XD
Alpacalypse

Post by Alpacalypse »

Just read this thing. My thoughts:
Hhmmm. Interesting. Also, stop being so f***ing confusing, Emi :evil: !

Quick mention of two things
a) Emi's hair ain't pink. That does annoy me.
b) The whole thing with Iwanako does strike me as really contrived. Not to say that I hate where the story is going with it - far from it, it's an interesting take on it, even though Iwanako differs from my usual (MttB) headcanon. The problem is that it just seems like she appears out of nowhere, with little reason for doing so, and I have an incessantly low tolerance for breaking my suspension of disbelief. Take that as you will (preferably with a handful of salt :wink:).

Otherwise, keep going. I'm enjoying this.
I am the harbinger of your destruction... By herbivorous, mountain dwelling quadrupeds... fear me
---
I also write now, apparently. Since everyone else does it, I'm putting it here
---
I have also discovered that I'm a decent proofreader. Anybody with SPaG problems is free to PM me their work for a thorough analysis and/or evisceration. Depends on how I'm feeling.
scratchminus

Post by scratchminus »

Alpacalypse wrote:Just read this thing. My thoughts:
Hhmmm. Interesting. Also, stop being so f***ing confusing, Emi :evil: !

Quick mention of two things
a) Emi's hair ain't pink. That does annoy me.
b) The whole thing with Iwanako does strike me as really contrived. Not to say that I hate where the story is going with it - far from it, it's an interesting take on it, even though Iwanako differs from my usual (MttB) headcanon. The problem is that it just seems like she appears out of nowhere, with little reason for doing so, and I have an incessantly low tolerance for breaking my suspension of disbelief. Take that as you will (preferably with a handful of salt :wink:).

Otherwise, keep going. I'm enjoying this.
Yeah, I'm working on fixing the "pink hair" issue because a lot of people keep telling me that. I dunno, I always saw it as a really light pink color, so I preferred to type "the pink haired girl" compared to "brunette" or "strawberry blonde". Not sure why, but since a lot of people mentioned it I'll change it. :P

And yes, I do realize that Iwanako's existence in this story is entirely contrived. I can admit to turning to her simply because she was the easiest way to create conflict, heh heh.

All in all, thank you for reading and I'm glad you're enjoying it! Whenever I write my next story I'm hoping I'll have improved considerably in all areas!
Leaty

Post by Leaty »

Alpacalypse wrote:a) Emi's hair ain't pink. That does annoy me.
Because I'm completely, utterly sick of this argument:

If you slightly adjust the magenta/green balance in any image of Emi, her hair definitively turns pink. Particularly since some people are red/green colorblind and everybody sees color slightly differently, it's not impossible that some people would see Emi's hair color as pinkish.
Alpacalypse wrote:even though Iwanako differs from my usual (MttB) headcanon.
Thank you for this!
Alpacalypse

Post by Alpacalypse »

Leaty wrote:
Alpacalypse wrote:a) Emi's hair ain't pink. That does annoy me.
Because I'm completely, utterly sick of this argument:

If you slightly adjust the magenta/green balance in any image of Emi, her hair definitively turns pink. Particularly since some people are red/green colorblind and everybody sees color slightly differently, it's not impossible that some people would see Emi's hair color as pinkish.
Ok, didn't take colour-blindness into account. Probably should have thought about that :roll:

Also, yes, your Iwanako is my headcanon. Not sure why, considering you pulled off Iwanako-being-a-complete-arsewipe to the point where I should logically hate her for all she's worth, but hey, there you go.
I am the harbinger of your destruction... By herbivorous, mountain dwelling quadrupeds... fear me
---
I also write now, apparently. Since everyone else does it, I'm putting it here
---
I have also discovered that I'm a decent proofreader. Anybody with SPaG problems is free to PM me their work for a thorough analysis and/or evisceration. Depends on how I'm feeling.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Leaty wrote:If you slightly adjust the magenta/green balance in any image of Emi, her hair definitively turns pink.
If you slightly change it in another direction I'm sure you can get it to be green, too :-)
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Leaty

Post by Leaty »

You tell me.

scratchminus

Post by scratchminus »

Leaty wrote:If you slightly adjust the magenta/green balance in any image of Emi, her hair definitively turns pink. Particularly since some people are red/green colorblind and everybody sees color slightly differently, it's not impossible that some people would see Emi's hair color as pinkish.
I love you forever for this.

Although I'm willing to change my wording in stories if people continue to correct me, in my head Emi will always be the pink-haired wonder.
Leaty

Post by Leaty »

scratchminus wrote:I love you forever for this.
Those of us who have nothing better to do make effort-posts. It is the path less chosen.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Leaty wrote:You tell me.
I'm not sure what I'm supposed to tell you - neither of those colours looks pink to me.
I'm not good with paint, but just pretend I posted a pic with Emi next to Misha and compare the hues.

Also, Emi's hair colour is officially light brown

(I've never understood where "strawberry blonde" comes from. Strawberries are red, aren't they?)
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
brythain

Post by brythain »

Mirage_GSM wrote:(I've never understood where "strawberry blonde" comes from. Strawberries are red, aren't they?)
It's the slight reddish tint that some blonde/auburn-haired people have. In pink-Emi's case, it would be the flesh of the strawberry, I suppose. :)
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Leaty

Post by Leaty »

Mirage_GSM wrote:I'm not good with paint, but just pretend I posted a pic with Emi next to Misha and compare the hues.
I never said Emi's hair was as pink as Misha's. The point I was making was the hues that were picked chosen to color Emi's hair in her official art have demonstrable magenta undertones, and since people perceive colors in different ways, it's not some risible idea that some people would think Emi's hair was pink.

But let's do your exercise anyway:

Translated into its nearest named computer colors, Emi's hair is, in fact, a shade of pink. "Tonys Pink," in fact.
Mirage_GSM wrote:Also, Emi's hair colour is officially light brown.
I know what it says, but the art assets do not reflect that: they depict her hair as being strawberry blonde. Hell, look at the R value in those two images: it's virtually identical in both Misha and Emi's hair colors. The only difference in the colors besides luminosity is that the green/blue ratios are different.
Mirage_GSM wrote:(I've never understood where "strawberry blonde" comes from. Strawberries are red, aren't they?)
It's also called "honey blonde" and "Venetian blonde." The most accurate word for it would be "ginger blonde," but I guess "strawberry blonde" sounds cuter (and, for Emi, it's thematic.)
HoneyBakedHam

Post by HoneyBakedHam »

Ginger blonde? First time I've heard that. I've always heard strawberry blonde. Ginger blonde sounds like an insult to me.
Leaty

Post by Leaty »

It's not a real phrase. It's just the most chromatically accurate description of the color, since the strawberry blonde color is literally a mixture of blonde and red (i.e., the "ginger" color) tones.

"Carrot blonde" would work too, I guess, but nobody wants to be named after a carrot.
brythain

Post by brythain »

Leaty wrote:"Carrot blonde" would work too, I guess, but nobody wants to be named after a carrot.
I guess we can all be grateful that nobody tried something like 'bloody lemon'. :D
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)