Feurox's Den of Sadness Updated 5th of January, 2024

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Feurox

A Glimmer and It's Gone SS22 Submission for Grayest

Post by Feurox »

A Glimmer and It’s Gone

It had been an unusually warm winter when, by pure coincidence, I discovered a quiet and charming little store called ‘Othello’s Antiques’.

The squirrelly looking man behind the counter looked nothing like Othello. I would come to learn his name was Ryuki Domen, though I only ever called him by his last name of course. He was a strong silent type, and I liked to attribute to him an imaginary love for games like chess or dominoes, though he never actually mentioned an interest in either of those things. Perhaps I merely ascribed to him typical ‘old man’ qualities, as other than what was a well-kept but nonetheless majestic beard, he was very unassuming.

The store itself was a bit of a hidden gem for students such as myself, venturing from my school, Yamaku, a school for the physically disabled nestled in the hills just outside of the city. Not only did the topic of Mr Domen himself intrigue me, but his catalogue of antiques ranged from at least mildly interesting to downright fascinating. I was drawn in at first by an old map of the region, but the various little treasures dotting the shelf are what kept me coming back whenever I made it this far into the city.

On my second visit to Othello’s, Mr Domen greeted me with a nod of familiarity. It was peculiar, given that on my previous trip two weeks prior, he had scarcely lifted an eye in my direction, even when I approached the counter, map in hand. He had simply given me one quick scan, said the price, and without any negotiation on my end, I was out back into the city streets. And yet this time his nod was convincingly conversant, as though I had been in his store every day since. The man remembered me fondly.

I suppose for any outside of Yamaku, I would be quite memorable. I walk with a cane and have done since I was very young on the account of my cerebral palsy. How many young people do you see walking with a cane? My friends would often joke that I had an old soul, as if the cane was a personification of my already elderly spirit. I had an equally funny joke where I would hit them with it.

It was on the hunt for a birthday gift for one such annoying friend that I found myself back in Mr Domen’s little cove of treasures, and where I discovered a fascination that would unknowingly open ancient wounds for us both.

You see, I have this terrible trait of inquisitiveness. No, inquisitiveness is probably the wrong word. Angry curiosity or annoying prying is probably more accurate. I’m like a dog following my nose around the garden this way and that way, digging up a bone, chewing it to death, and then digging up another until the garden is full of holes. Still, this quality of mine has brought me a few good times for the multitude of bad ones. It was curiosity, after all that brought me to Takumi. Then it was my unwillingness to let things go that drove her away.

I was lamenting my curiosity and how it had forsaken me in the aisle of Othello’s when Mr Domen came out from behind the counter to approach me.

“I’m afraid to say that I no longer have any of those maps you were keen on last time.” His voice was a bit gruffer than I expected, but I didn’t get the sense that he was ridiculing me or anything.

Truth be told the lack of maps was a bit of a blow. I had planned to get another map like my one for my friend’s birthday, as he had already commented several times on mine. Still, Othello’s housed many potential gifts, so I tried to hide my disappointment with a smile.

“That’s not a problem, I’m sure I can find something equally promising.” I replied with a chipper tone. Mr Domen nodded.

“Is it for a gift?” He asked, and I could already see the gears beginning to turn in his head to assemble a suggestion.

“Indeed, a friend’s birthday.”

Mr Domen and I wandered the store searching for a suitable gift, exchanging relevant talk about my friend and his tastes. Somewhere in this wandering we exchanged introductions, and I got the sense that few people would frequent his store but that those who did received this sort of colloquial and personal touch from him. We finally settled on a delicate and beautiful pirate ship model that set me back a fair bit. I didn’t mind. It felt like I was paying for the service as well as the gift. As I was leaving the store, I caught sight of a framed photograph behind the counter.

The photo featured a young girl, dressed as a Christmas elf, alongside what was clearly Mr Domen in a Father Christmas costume. It was clearly several years ago, I could see that the years hadn’t been kind to Mr Domen, and that the beaming smile he wore in the photo was a rare occurrence now. The girl was what really fascinated me, as she was leaning on a cane in the photograph, though she was clearly attempting to disguise it behind Mr Domen.

I felt as though Mr Domen and I had established a bit of a repour, and so I asked if the girl was his daughter, perhaps a bit ruder than I had hoped for it to come out. All at once, Mr Domen stiffened up. I had unknowingly struck a nerve.

“She was a customer, and a friend.” He replied coldly, and I knew then that I would draw no blood from this stone today, and so I gave him my thanks and exited into the warm winter taking over the city.

The gentle hum of the bus threatened to put me to sleep on my return to Yamaku. Still, I was wired awake by the photograph and Mr Domen’s sudden withdraw. The girl was important, that much was clear, but the cane she had failed to hide in the photo gnawed at me. She looked to be about my age, at least when the photo was taken. Was she a student at Yamaku? And wouldn’t the age gap between Mr Domen and the girl make a friendship unlikely, bordering creepy? There was something perplexing about Othello’s irrespective of the photo, and I knew I would be returning soon as the bus slowly puttered out from the city lights into the dark country sky.

Memories warm you up from the inside. But they also tear you apart.

Haruki Murakami, Kafka on the Shore

I was reeling from a rather uncomfortable conversation with Takumi when I found myself once again in the city.

You see, Takumi and I were, from one perspective, destined to fail. We could hardly move without stepping on one-another’s toes, figuratively speaking of course as Takumi’s condition, Huntington’s Disease, in conjunction with my own condition meant we didn’t often go for long walks.

We often butted heads, particularly over Takumi’s pessimistic attitude, that she swore was actually optimistic. Her Huntington’s was still in its early stages, but she had opted to withdraw from intensive medical treatment. It was her decision of course, but despite my inquisitive brain, I just couldn’t understand her. Why would someone give up a chance to prolong their life? I had stressed the importance of fighting to her, when, in the heat of the moment, I had accused her of cowardice.

“It’s about living,” she said, her eyes blinking away tears. “I’m choosing life.”

“You’re choosing death,” I replied, before shutting her dormitory room door with an unnecessary thud.

This was hardly our first fight, but it was easily our worst. Arguing with Takumi, or any loved one for that matter, is like juggling spears in the air. Eventually, they all come crashing down and you’re impaled by your own words.

I’m not sure what possessed me to visit Othello’s again. My Christmas shopping had been nearly completed, and aside from a few last-minute gifts for my family, I had no business in the city. It’s not like I find cities particularly calming or anything, but I did, at least, find Othello’s a bit soothing. There was a coffee shop just short of the store where I stopped and took in the life all around me. I saw Takumi everywhere around me, the passing people and the billboard adverts all seemed to morph into her tearful face. I couldn’t help but cry, but no-one seemed to pay me any mind. Just as the sky was darkening, I took off from the café and passed the stores between it and Othello’s.

Christmas lights were just beginning to twinkle to life, and their light flittered through the windows to dance on the pavement. A small bar was open on the other side of the road, and already some businessmen, presumably finished for the day, were sharing their drunk merriment with a terribly performed rendition of an English Christmas carol.

Othello’s was devoid of Christmas decorations, and like every other time I had visited, there were no customers. The small chime of the bell and scent of a pine candle were the only signs of life within the store, as even Mr Domen was nowhere to be seen. I let my hands and eyes wander over the shelves with absent-minded curiosity. Nothing in particular was jumping out to me, but I found myself again at the counter where the photo stared back at me.

From within the frame, the girl was beckoning me closer. It was my imagination, of course, a product of my saddened brain. Still, I felt as if the girl from the photo was compelling me to investigate further, to pry the story from the frame. At the bottom, I saw an inscription for the first time.

“A glimmer and it’s gone – Saki Enomoto.”

It was nonsensical to me, and closer inspection didn’t reveal any other hidden communiques in the photograph. Saki Enomoto was obviously the girl, I mean, the process of elimination made that clear given I already knew Mr Domen’s name. It was also a pretty name that wouldn’t suit a bearded man like Mr Domen. It was at this moment that Mr Domen revealed himself from what I presumed was the storage closet.

He saw me looking at the photograph, and I can only presume he could tell I had been crying, because he didn’t greet me angrily or with frustration. Instead, he let out a deep sigh.

“Your uniform is Yamaku Academy, yes?” He asked in a quiet, calm tone.

I nodded.

He came and stood beside me, looking up at the photograph with his lips pursed in thought. With gentle hands, he plucked the photograph from the wall and held it in his hands with a fond but pained smile.

“She was an alumnus of your school,” he acknowledged after a moment of quiet contemplation. “Saki Enomoto, this was about six years ago.” He gently rubbed his thumb along the frame of the photograph.

Mr Domen went on to explain how he had recognised my school uniform when I first entered the store, despite some changes to it. How he noticed my cane, but after meeting Saki, had become less prone to staring or reacting publicly to visible disabilities. She had helped him climatise, he said. I didn’t really like his terminology. He asked me if I was okay, and I told him the truth.

Wordlessly, he began to shut up shop. It was a short process, as all he had to do was flip the sign on the door around to say ‘CLOSED’. I suspected that even with the door saying open, few if any customers would enter. He opened the cash register and stowed the drawer which contained a few bills in the back where he had emerged from. Motioning for me to join him, we turned off the lights in the store, locked the front door, and headed back in the direction of the café. Under one arm he held the photograph, and under the other a small umbrella that would protect him if the clouds opened up overhead as they were beginning to threaten.

We were already seated and drinking by the time we spoke properly again. I had a juice, as I felt any surplus caffeine would make me anxious, and Mr Domen had a mug of tea that he swirled round and round between his fingers.

“I have a story for you.” He finally said, as the first drops of rain fell down on us.

Love is so short, forgetting is so long.

Pablo Neruda

Ms Enomoto was an intriguing sort of girl. She was like you, in a few ways. Curious about old things, old people. She was fascinated by everyday life as though she was an academic on the subject, and her questions about the past bordered on the relentless. She would meander through the store, touching everything, scaring off my usual customers by asking them prying questions, about them and what drew them to the store. In all respects, she was a terrible employee, but I felt a kinship with her from the moment she stumbled into the store a year prior, seeking shelter from a terrible rainstorm, and I hired her on the spot.

She never got too specific about her condition, just that it was of the terminal variety, and that as a result her actual academic life was relatively unimportant to her. I tried to convince her to take her studies more seriously, but she was convinced that she could learn what she needed from experience in the store and in the city. She would arrive for a shift, late, and in her school uniform, but I didn’t really mind because she brightened up the place and customers eventually became familiar with her, even with her incessant questioning.

After an unusually busy day in late October, Saki, she insisted we dropped the formalities because it was ‘wasted time she didn’t have’, had an idea that I didn’t have the heart to refuse.

“We have a duty to the community,” she insisted with a cunning smile and pleading eyes. In her left hand she had plucked a Santa hat from one of the boxes in the storage closet.

“We have no such duty, besides, Christmas isn’t such a big holiday here,” I protested in vain.

“And isn’t that so devastating sad? Wouldn’t you like to fill the winter with a little warmth?” She could read the scepticism on my face and changed her attack. “Besides, I need us to do it, to add to my catalogue of experiences.”

How could I argue with a dying girl? Especially one like Saki, who could flutter her eyes and make anyone weak at the knees. One of her most brilliant qualities is how she would invoke her condition, not for the sake of herself, but in order to persuade others to be better. She told me once that it was her duty to spread a bit of joy, even if it had to be forcefully.

Sure enough, the plans were set in motion. I phoned the event coordinator of the local mall, who was a bit perplexed by my request but nonetheless allowed us to set up a small booth in the main thoroughfare of the shopping centre free of charge. Saki and I got to work collecting presents from the community, and other Yamaku students even got involved in order to help set everything up. A school newspaper article by a girl named Natsume Ooe about our little idea even made it in the local paper. ‘Christmas Spirit Bolstered by Othello’s’, I think it was titled. The whole thing made for some good publicity for the store, not that that was an ulterior motive. Oh, but people quickly forget and move on. C’est le guerre.

Where was I? Oh, that’s right.

By the time December came around we were prepared for our little event. We were in position at the stall, and Saki was giggling relentlessly at the rather ill-fitting Santa Claus costume we had put together in the month prior. I had to wear one of those fake belly things to give the outfit some weight, and it was terribly uncomfortable.

Throngs of people passed us with confused glances. It was clear that, despite the relative excitement that had generated in the lead up, people were still confused as to what the Santa stall was actually about. Yet, despite a relatively slow start, families began approaching us, taking photos with me, and receiving a present from Saki.

I’ll confess, my heart wasn’t really into it at first. I’m not much of a family man, and Saki was the closest I had ever come to having children of my own. I tried to be jolly, and even forged for myself a deep, Christmassy laugh that bellowed. Still, I was struggling to get into the spirit of the thing until Saki muttered something about ‘getting the magic back’ and slipped away from the stall.

She was gone for about thirty minutes, during which a handful of children came to visit the stall and I tried my best to channel Santa Claus.

When she rounded the corner, dressed in that ridiculous elf costume she’s wearing in that photo, I nearly cackled myself to death. At least her costume fit properly, though she would never reveal to me where exactly she bought it. Maybe she had fashioned it herself, but I’d seen the result of her other arts and crafts projects, and they were not exactly professional.

After that, the stall became extremely crowded. We ran out of presents to give within a few hours, and if it wasn’t for a customer of mine who happened to be passing and volunteered to buy a few boxes of chocolates to hand out, we would have had to wrap up early. As the evening came in, a journalist approached the table wanting to write about Othello’s but more importantly about Saki Enomoto. ‘The girl who saved Christmas’ they called her jokingly.

Saki was hesitant at first, but I urged her to speak to them. With only a minor protest, she agreed, and sat down with the journalist just beside the table. The crowds had mostly dispersed, and so I suggested that I get a few celebratory hot chocolates.

When I returned the interview was winding down, and lights were beginning to dim in the shop fronts along either side of the mall. I didn’t mean to pry, but I overheard a snippet of their conversation, when Saki rather proudly stated.

“All we can do is spread a little joy while we’re here. Nothing more, nothing less. A glimmer, and we’re gone.”

Her phrasing stuck with me. It was so definitively Saki. Even the journalist seemed a bit taken aback by her positive affirmation, and even without knowing the severity of her condition, the journalist could tell that Saki was resolved to impart a bit of kindness every chance she could before her death.

He asked us to pose for a photograph, and he was happy to send me the copies, which I of course framed. For a while, Othello’s was abuzz with activity. People would visit just to spend time talking with Saki, and even if few people bought things from the store, it was nice to see the shopfront so lively.

The Santa stall became a bit of a yearly tradition for Saki and me. Even when her friends were moving away to university, she insisted on staying, helping me run Othello’s and organising our yearly Christmas stall. I think her family put her up in the city, and she would sometimes phone up to say she couldn’t work because she was on a date with some young lad, she met during her final year at Yamaku. Again, I didn’t mind, she had become family to me, and she made up for every shift she missed with aplomb.

Well, everything is a loan in this world, and our new yearly tradition eventually became too taxing for Saki. On her last time manning the stall with me, her legs buckled, and she collapsed before a crowd of young children, who, mortified to see an elf collapse, screamed, and cried. Saki tried to play it off with a comical remark, but the damage had been done.

It broke her heart when I insisted that she take a break from Othello’s, but she understood. I can only assume that her boyfriend and family had also been encouraging her to take things easy, and to spend the last of her time with them. Before she left the store for the final time, I asked her to inscribe our photograph with a message. She happily obliged, but she let the pen linger over the photograph.

I visited her a lot after that, bringing her stories, and the occasional trinket from Othello’s. She adored the stories of the customers but without Saki the regulars started to vanish. I was fine financially, but the loss of customers hurt, and Saki was quick to realise that something within me was changing. On my last visit, this time to a small hospice outside of the city, she asked her family to give us a moment and spoke to me in her usual sing-song voice.

“Stories of kindness,” she said to me, squeezing my hand tight within the ward of a hospice. “That’s all that really matters, stories of kindness to take with you.”

I placed my other hand on top of hers and promised to carry her with me.

“A glimmer and I’m gone,” she laughed quietly.

“A glimmer of gold is enough,” I replied.

I confess that Saki’s passing affected me deeply. I was just one of many unremarkables that wound up in her orbit and was enriched as a result. The drive back to the city was a contemplative and quiet one. I continued the tradition we established until a few years ago, when a small family business within the shopping mall asked if they could continue in my stead. The truth is that without Saki, I’d lost my love for it anyway. Besides, I’m getting old now. Being Santa is a young man’s game, figuratively speaking of course.

I can see you’re getting antsy now; maybe this is a boring story, or maybe I’m not a very captivating storyteller. You seem like a nice kid, so I’ll leave you with a bit of Saki’s wisdom.

Don’t go looking for answers in everything, but don’t ever stop collecting stories either. In this grand and complicated life we’re only tourists. Fill your suitcase, because its only around for a glimmer, and then it’s gone.

Mr Domen sighed and sat back in his chair. The rain was pelting the canopy above us, and people were darting around us trying to save things from the storm. A planter filled with white rhododendrons filled with water and began to veer dangerously to the left.

It was a lot to take in from a relative stranger. My curiosity had certainly be sated, but I couldn’t help but feel overwhelmed. Mr Domen, for his part, seemed lightened and unburdened. I wondered whether he had told anyone but me the story of Saki Enomoto, and I wondered if the Saki from his story would have wanted him to share it.

We stayed in the café until the rain eased off, but it was clear that neither of us had much more to contribute to the conversation. I tried to pay for my juice, but Mr Domen was kind enough to cover the bill. He lent me his umbrella and asked if I would come back to Othello’s to return it someday. I vowed that I would be back soon, and excused myself.

I didn’t know what to make of Mr Domen’s story. It was profoundly sad, but feeling despair or sadness from it seemed to dramatically miss the point. I tried, in vain to shake the feel of unease and ennui that settled on me as I stood waiting for the bus to pick me up. I found myself the victim of a gripping isolation, and I felt myself nearly come to tears again as the rain continued to lazily fall onto Mr Domen’s umbrella.

When the bus eventually arrived, I was soaked through. The umbrella had done very little and was more like a summer parasol than an actual waterproof. The chill from the cold sunk into my bones, and I could feel my fingers going a little numb. Thankfully, the bus driver didn’t ask for my pass, and ushered me straight into the warm seats.

We took off immediately, leaving the city lights behind as the bus throbbed. Every light must have been green, because the journey home was far quicker than it usually felt, and aside from one other passenger who got off before me, the bus didn’t stop.

Yamaku was as quiet as it always was. There were some hastily thrown together Christmas decorations, and someone who I presume worked for the school had draped some tinsel over the gate. I walked past that godawful mural by the boys dormitories and stopped for a moment to observe it, despite the cold. Apparently, it was painted by a student with no arms, but that was years ago, and by now parts of the mural had become dull and colourless. I felt another rush of profound sadness as I noticed a small graffiti in the corner, and I made a mental note to come back tomorrow with a brush and some soap.

Something compelled me to pass the boys dormitories, and moving automatically, I crossed the courtyard to the girls’ dorms.

Some bitchy first years were watching Christmas movies in the common room, and one of them shot me a scowl as I passed them. In fairness, I was still dripping wet, and I looked quite miserable.

Up two flights of stairs and down the corridor, I knocked on Takumi’s door.

Takumi opened the door. She had clearly just showered but before she could say anything I took her into my arms. Her back was warm, and thought for a moment she might protest, she nestled into my collar and squeezed me, practically wringing me dry. All I could think about was the inscription, and Mr Domen’s curious retort.

‘A glimmer is enough.’

I held Takumi and didn’t let go.
My Molly Route
Ekephrasis and Other Stories
I hate when people ruin perfectly good literature with literary terminology.
- CraftyAtom
Feurox

Re: A Glimmer and It's Gone

Post by Feurox »

With thanks to Prof for organising this wonderful Secret Santa, and with the recipient being Grayest, whose prompt was:

The shopkeeper is secretly Santa clause
I hope you enjoy it and that it does your prompt justice! Merry Christmas my friend!

Love and best wishes from Feurox!
My Molly Route
- CraftyAtom
Asoko_Desu

Re: Feurox's Den of Sadness [04/26/2020]

Post by Asoko_Desu »

Years pass, wisdom gained is handed down - loved this; just the right length, and with a character that we see too little of.
"So much to do, so little time."

Asoko Desu's one-shots and short pieces - and assorted tie-ins.
Two Body Problem - "Adventures in the 'Emiverse'"; Emi’s path from Rin’s perspective ..
The Years That the Locusts Have Eaten - Post-Rin’s good ending - a journey through the 'Rinverse'

+++
Feurox

Post by Feurox »

Asoko_Desu wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:32 pm Years pass, wisdom gained is handed down - loved this; just the right length, and with a character that we see too little of.
Thank you! Glad it went down well. Hope you don't mind, but I stole that little summary for a description of the story!
My Molly Route
- CraftyAtom
Asoko_Desu

Post by Asoko_Desu »

I stole that little summary for a description of the story!
Please have it with my gratitude.

--
"So much to do, so little time."

Asoko Desu's one-shots and short pieces - and assorted tie-ins.
Two Body Problem - "Adventures in the 'Emiverse'"; Emi’s path from Rin’s perspective ..
The Years That the Locusts Have Eaten - Post-Rin’s good ending - a journey through the 'Rinverse'

+++
Feurox

A Matter of Memory - 2023/2024 New Year Story

Post by Feurox »

A Matter of Memory

This was a story written by Sharp-O and posted by me as a test to see if we could emulate one another's styles. Thanks for doing this with me man!

Here's his story, please check it out! viewtopic.php?p=249402#p249402

Last edited by Feurox on Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
My Molly Route
- CraftyAtom
hdkv
new forum host for the next 15 years

Re: Feurox's Den of Sadness Updated 30th of December, 2023

Post by hdkv »

And now I'm genuinely sad.

Given that Hisao and Hanako never lost touch, and Hanako had connection with Misaki parents, how it took six damn years for Hanako to deliver the news about Misaki's amnesia?

Given their relationship, do Hanako secretly hope that Hisao will fall for her?

Do Hisao really need to meet Misaki again and open old wounds?

So many questions, so little answers...

Thank you, Feurox, I liked that story! I need a drink...

I provide tech support for this forum. Ping me by email, Discord or DM.
forums changelog
Fleeting Heartbeat Studios: site, Discord.
My own legacy.

StealthyWolf

Post by StealthyWolf »

First of all, this was definitely an interesting take on Hanako and Hisao's development and friendship. Though I'm slightly confused by the wording in the very start...

Feurox wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:21 am

The idea seemed almost appealing when I first caught sight of my ex-girlfriend ten minutes ago but when I realised this was my classmate’s idea

I'm 90% sure Hisao's referring to Misaki as his ex (especially since he then immediately refers to Hanako as his "classmate"), but there's that small 10% part of me that thought this was referring to Hanako that I can't shake - which has interesting implications and such for their history, but I went forward under the assumption that his ex (here) is Misaki and Hanako and him just become close friends over their time at Yamaku and beyond.

With that out of the way, this was a nice read! Interesting that two bittersweet new years stories that take place some years after the events of Yamaku and center around a party (of sorts) taking place with the goal of rekindling old friendships/relationships came out at one time... must just mean great minds think alike!

Regarding Hanako: I always liked the idea of her personality expanding beyond that of the stereotypical shy girl because it feels like a natural, fun, and interesting expansion to her character. I mean, who's to say she isn't a deviant, or class act, or suave, or dirty-minded, etc. etc. beyond her trauma and once it is dealt with? I like this version of her and her friendship with Hisao is great. I also like how it's a bit of a twist of fate. Hisao (pre-Yamaku) was seemingly outgoing with his friends and would frequently go out with them to play soccer and go to arcades and such. Around this time Hanako was a complete recluse, barely talking to even just one person. Nowadays it Hisao who is a bit on the quiet side while Hanako is urging him out of his comfort zone - all the while bringing a lot of other people together as well.

Then there's the story of Misaki and Hisao's doomed relationship and the similarities to past situations only become more prevalent. This time it was Hisao's "partner" (if we'd ever go so far as to call Iwanako an ex) who drifted away thanks to the trauma of Hisao's heart attack. It's one thing to say you can handle dealing with something like that, but it's another thing completely to actually see it. Hisao almost died essentially in her arms. That's brutal, and Misaki spiraling into self-blame to the point of her brain blocking off those memories as a defense mechanism is a sad tale. What's more sad though is that now she's living with this hole in who she is, not ever understanding exactly why she's missing parts of her. Then on the other end, Hisao spent six years in the dark. Six years trying to understand where he went wrong, and likely thinking that he can't love someone because all it'll do is hurt them or him. I also have to wonder just how close Hanako is with Misaki by this time and throughout the past six years as well.

Sad story, yes, but even still there's a glimmer of something better just beyond the present. Maybe the manage to help Misaki remember her time at Yamaku, battle and overcome the trauma she endured, and move forward with new old friends. Maybe they start a new friendship, divorced from the past but something worthwhile all the same. Maybe they simply drift away at this point and the only take-away is not letting the past hold them back anymore - namely Hisao. In any-case, despite the darkness all around here I like to imagine this party was a turning point on some level. Thus why I labeled this one as a bittersweet story as well. Great read Fue! I eagerly await the next two stories from you as well! ;)

My Writing:
Uncertainty (A post Emi-Good Ending Story)
My Shorts and One-shots
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

I'm going to assume they died in a car crash, since neither of them had particularly lethal problems :-) (unless Suzu was driving of course.)

I also think it' strange that nobody ever bothered to tell Hisao about what happened to Misaki. I'd expect one of the first things to explain to someone who wakes up from a six month coma (I always think six months of coma are too much to just casually slip into a story by the way...) would be to tell them why their significant other is not there...
Feels more than a bit mean to both Hisao and Misaki not to tell him.

Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Feurox

The Universe In Ecstatic Motion, According to Emi Ibarazaki

Post by Feurox »

The Universe In Ecstatic Motion, According to Emi Ibarazaki

The party does not have to end, but the music might have to change.
J.R Rim

“But we’ve got to get you laid Ibarazaki!” Miki’s cat-like growl from the seat beside me makes me laugh out loud. With her one good hand she slaps my inner thigh.

Hey! That hurts!

She continues her relentless assault and reaches over to ruffle my hair.

I smack her hand away and stick my tongue out at her.

“It took me ages to get it perfect, don’t ruin it!”

Miki cackles, and leans back into her seat. Passing by in the window behind her, the lights and sounds of the city in motion, it's honestly exhilarating. This taxi feels more like a limousine.The leather seats are really comfortable. Really, really comfortable.

“Oi! Don’t you dare fall asleep before we get to Taro’s! Hell, don’t you dare fall asleep until after we leave Taro’s!” Miki’s stern glare is enough to keep me awake. And if it isn’t, her glare will probably follow me into my dreams and drag me out kicking and screaming.

“I’m not!”

“Suuuuuuure.” Miki sighs. Not like she’s disappointed or anything, but in a kind of laughing way. “You were out running today huh?”

“Yeah, you should try it sometime,” I tease her.

“My running days are behind me. It’s work, gym, bars for me.” She laughs. She still has her powerful toned legs from when we were younger, and they’re on full display tonight in the tight black dress she’s wearing.

“So I don’t get it, you and Taro dated in college?”

Miki chortles, and bats the idea away with a flick of her wrist. “I think dated is a bit generous, but there are just some guys you can never shake from your system you know?” A momentary wistful glance out the window and then she’s laughing again. “Besides, Taro throws killer parties. You should have come with me to one sooner, they’re very bohemian.”

There are just some guys you can never shake from your system. Ain’t that right?

“I’ve been busy. Besides, I’ve had enough fun cleaning your drunken messes up since we moved in together.” This time I reach over and ruffle Miki’s hair. She doesn’t put up a defence, and instead pouts at me. “I don’t know who said pouting was an option for you Miki, but it really isn’t.”

“Co-o-o-old!”

We sit at several red lights before Miki tells the taxi driver to ‘step on it’. Thankfully, he ignores her, and we slowly make our way across the city, from our cramped little apartment in the outskirts to the financial district, where the bars are absolutely packed and the skyline blots out the night sky. Outside the window, sat in the smoking area, two western tourists with comically large glasses wave at us. Miki shakes her stump at them, much to their horror.

“Here we are,” Miki grins and taps her card against the taxi driver's card machine. “Time for some debauchery.”

I laugh and accept her help getting out of the car. I’ve never felt as comfortable in my civilian legs, but it’s a bit of a faux-pas wearing my running blades in the silver dress number Miki insisted I wear. Miki doesn’t so much help me out of the car as yank me out onto the street, before reaching back into the taxi to grab her little bag that she’s miraculously crammed a bottle of vodka into.

We pass by a throng of people in equally skimpy / fancy clothing and head into a lavish apartment foyer.

Woah. I knew Taro was successful but… Woah.

There’s a koi pond in the centre, and opulent looking golden trees on either end of the large hall. There are direction signs that tell you which floor has the swimming pool and which floor has the private gym, and which floor has the cinema…

“Taro lives here?” I ask.

Miki shrugs and greets the security guard / receptionist with a familiar wave. Clearly she’s been here a lot. So far, I can’t blame her. This place is bougie as anything! “Intelligence coupled with inheritance, it’s a winning combo.” She laughs again as we enter the elevator and the doors close behind us.

“Thirty-six,” she instructs me and I comply with a press of the button.

The elevator quietly surges upwards. It doesn’t even make that weird groaning noise that our elevator makes, and that Miki swears is a ‘moleman’ living in the shaft, whatever that means.

God, I feel nervous. I haven’t been to a party in ages, let alone one so… what did Miki say? Bohemian? It honestly makes me feel a little sick. I’m not sure I even remember how to flirt.

Miki wraps her arm around my shoulder as we pass floor twenty-four. “Relax you little goblin, you keep thinking and you’ll detonate. You know how hard it is to clean blood from an elevator?”

“Do you?”

“No, and I wouldn’t be the one clearing it anyway. I’ve got plans. I’m not wasting my New Years cleaning up your blood.”

“Charming,” I reply, and Miki leans down and kisses the top of my head.

“It’s not like you to get hung up on a guy. You’re the fastest thing on no legs, I always assumed that was because you were a bit slutty.” Miki teases.

“Miki! I was the fastest on no legs and you were the fastest on your back.”

We laugh, and Miki squeezes me again for good measure.

“You got this, Ibarazaki. If you haven’t secured a kiss by midnight, come see me for a smooch.”

I laugh and playfully punch her in the arm.

The elevator doors open to a stately hallway. There’s only two doors, one on the left and the right, so it looks like Taro has half a floor to himself.

It’s fairly obvious which side of the floor belongs to him, given the pumping music practically blowing the door down and the scattered trail of christmas decorations outside his door that haven’t been taken down yet. The Arai’s party party, Miki told me once. I think I’m starting to understand what she means.

Miki is quick to rap her stump against the door.

No answer.

“You should ring his cell, I bet they can’t hear a thing in there.”

Miki shrugs and reaches into her purse, producing a small key.

“Why knock at all?” I ask.

“Laziness, I suppose.”

Just as Miki starts to open the door, it gets yanked wide open by Taro. He’s slimmed out a lot since I last saw him in high-school. I guess I never noticed how tall he was either, but he towers above me and even Miki, who has always been tall and lean.

“Ibarazaki!” He exclaims in a loud deep voice. “It’s been far too long. Miki here has told me so much about you. How are you finding living with her?”

“Messy,” I reply, which earns a laugh from him. “It’s been far too long Taro.”

“Yeah yeah, I’m standing right here man.” Miki pushes Taro backwards into his own home and grabs him by the collar. “I missed you.” She reaches up to grab the back of his head and pulls him into a long passionate kiss.

I shuffle about awkwardly and look behind them. Taro’s apartment is insanely big, and he’s even put up a disco ball in what I presume is his living room. It’s bustling with people I don’t recognise.

After what feels like way too long for a public display of affection, especially considering they’re not together, Miki and Taro break apart. Basically throwing Miki behind him into the party, Taro grabs a beer from the counter and offers it to me.

I accept, and before I can enter the party as well, Taro envelops me in one of his massive bear hugs from High School. I feel like I might break in half.

“Miki told me you and that fellow split up. Daichi? Daisuke?” He shakes his head, resolved. “Daichi.”

“Ren,” I correct him.

“I was about to say Ren.”

“Suuuuuure.”

“No man has ever kept up with you, huh?” Taro chuckles. His eyes are drawn across the room to another guest, and he throws them a cheery wave.

“I’ve not found one yet, no.” I answer. Behind him in the surge of a crowd, I see Miki down a shot.

“Maybe tonight is your lucky night?” He asks, but his attention is clearly elsewhere. “Here, let me introduce you to someone.”

With only that slight warning, Taro practically hoists me into a group of people. They’re all dancing, below the disco ball hanging from the split level mezzanine above. Holy cow this place is insane!

If Miki doesn’t marry Taro for his friendly personality, his wealth should do it.

I shake the thought. That’s a bad way to think, obviously.

Buuuuut…

“Emi, I’d like to introduce you to my colleague, Kiyoshi.”

The bespeckled man in front of me eyes me up and down like a rotisserie chicken. Gross. He offers me his hand and I shake it so as to not be rude, but I can’t pretend this guy attracts me.

“A pleasure,” the weird and, ew, sweaty man says.

“Sure, so Taro I -”

I turn around and see Taro disappearing after Miki into a crowd. Classy.

A deep hypnotic beat pumps from the speaker in the centre of the room. Lights fly around at dizzying speeds.

“So how did you meet Taro?” I ask Kiyoshi. He smiles fondly as he recalls.

“We work at the same firm. My father and Taro’s father go way back.”

Figures.

“Uh-huh,” I answer uninterestedly. Maybe Taro put us together because we’re the most boring people at this party.

Wait, how did I become boring? I’m Emi Ibarazaki. The fastest thing on no legs. The speed demon herself.

“And you? Did you meet at Ritsumeikan?” Captain of the good ship boredom asks me.

“No, I actually went to Tokyo U.”

“Oh? What did you major in?”

“I dropped out.” I confess.

“Ah. But you and Taro?”

Oh.

“Taro and I went to school together. High school that is. Now he’s… dating, I think, my roommate, Miki.”

The man nods thoughtfully. “Ms Miura, I’m familiar. Dating might be generous.” Without really looking, the man reaches out to the bar counter beside him and offers me a bottle of beer, to swap my now depleted one.

I accept it with a shrug and twist the cap off. Behind Kiyoshi, against the wall, illuminated by one of those little spotlights you see in museums, I recognise a painting. Or rather, a style.

“So, your prosthetics -”

“Car accident.” I cut Kiyoshi off. “Excuse me.”

“Oh, yeah I -”

Before Kiyoshi can continue I push past him and head over to the single space of calm in a spinning room.

Hanging dead centre on the wall, a painting. A small signature in the bottom right corner.

Akio Hayashi. The only man I ever slowed down for.

I knew Akio continued with his art. He was obsessed with ‘getting discovered’ in college, and deep down I’ve always associated his artwork with one of the several reasons we split up.

My reflection faces me from the glass sliding door on the wall directly adjacent to the painting. It’s an ethereal sort of scene, looking back at myself in this skimpy little dress, a token of my ex boyfriend illuminated beside me as though he’s stood there. Behind my reflected self, a series of undulating and pulsing lights, both from within this apartment and from the city that hums its life-song outside of it.

I’ve never really understood art. Maybe that was part of the problem. I have no idea if this piece here is one of any significant value, or if Taro simply hangs it like this because of their friendship. Either way, I’m stuck at a party staring at the past.

Rin and Akio. Two artists I loved. Two people I haven’t heard from in years.

What happened to never looking back?

I take another long look at the painting. It’s a melancholy scene. A view from a window in Tokyo, the skyline towers impenetrable above.

I close my eyes, the music pounds in my ears like a heartbeat.

“Stop it!” I barely manage to get the words out before another barrage of kisses and tickling sends me reeling with laughter.

“No can do captain, I’m on the warpath now.” Akio laughs, his hands move from under my armpits to my sides, to my inner thighs, and then back up.

I burst into laughter again and try to push him off me. My prosthetics watch in horror from the wall as I’m tickled to death. Farewell, my loyal legs.

There’s a sudden abrupt thump on the wall from Akio’s neighbour.

“Piss off Takahiro!” Akio shouts into the wall.

Well that’s my near death experience over, thankfully. A shame though, because our tickling normally leads to…

Well, nevermind.

Akio’s dorm room doesn’t insulate noise very well. Or heat. Or anything really. He really crapped out here. And his neighbour is a real prude.

I gently push Akio back and straighten myself out. My hair is probably a mess, and now I’m all out of breath.

“You are really mean,” I say.

Akio laughs and pulls me into his side for another kiss. I oblige, even though I should punish him.

Scattered art supplies litter his room, half-finished canvases and empty coffee cups. I whack him carefully on the back of the head.

“You need to tidy up here if you expect me to stay over.”

“Bah, I'm a creative. We’re inherently messy.”

“And I’m an athlete, we’re inherently organised.”

“So I’ll work and you’ll clean,” Akio teases. I thump him gently on the back of his head again for good measure.

“I’m not your mother, young man.”

“But I call you mommy?” He laughs. Another thump for that.

“Gross! You know Takahiro is listening, you pervert!”

“Not listening!” Comes the muffled reply through the wall.

Akio and I burst into laughter.

He jumps up from the bed and walks over to the window. Tokyo stretches out above us, its highrises and impenetrable skyline.

I pull myself over to the end of the bed and watch him.

“It’s all coming together Emi,” he says. That determined look on his face. The one that made me fall for him. The one he wore when he asked me out.

“We’re still first years, and yet you’ve got it all figured out huh?”

I certainly don't. It’s a miracle I even got into University, and now I have exams just around the corner…

I shake the thought.

“I’m going to make it. We’re going to make it big, Emi.”

Silhouetted by the window light, Akio’s body tenses up.

“Of course we will, I’m still the fastest thing on no legs.” I say.

That’s not technically true, since Tokyo U has that prodigy Akane. But our rivalry will become legend. Probably.

“Hell yeah you are,” Akio laughs. “Life is a race and we make a killer relay team.”

“Well don’t forget your studies, or I’ll be running it alone.” I say, only half-teasing. He needs to buckle down more.

Akio chuckles. “We’re heading straight for the top Emi,” he repeats.

He turns to face me now, the city skyline shimmering outside the window behind him.

“You’ll take me with you?” I ask, and he kisses me hard.

“There’s nothing in all of Tokyo that could stop me.”

“Ibarazaki.” Miki’s hand finds my shoulder before I hear her.

“You left me,” I reply without looking back. “That wasn’t very ‘big sis’ Miki of you.”

She laughs and slings her arm around me. The beer in her hand clatters against my own, and they make a soft clinking sound barely audible above the electronic funk.

“You haven’t made any friends yet?” Miki asks. “I’m beginning to think you’re a social parrot.”

“Social parrot?” I ask, and Miki looks down at me like I’m being stupid.

“Yeah, like someone who isn’t very good in social situations. An outcast.”

“Do you mean a social pariah?”

“Whatever,” Miki shrugs.

“Well I think Taro paired me up with one of those,” I gesture back to the weird guy Taro introduced me to. “Kiyoshi.”

“Oh, that boring fuck? Taro said he was going to pair you up with him so you’d remember the difference between the boring people and the fun people. I told him that was stupid, but I guess he did it anyway.” Miki explains.

“It was stupid,” I reply, which earns me one of Miki’s pseudo dirty laughs.

Miki grabs me by the wrist and pulls me after her into the centre of the room. We pass back by Kiyoshi, and Taro steps aside to make room for us.

“Come on Emi, I came here to dance with my roomie, not mope about.”

I laugh and start swaying along with Miki as she starts mouthing the words to the pop song blaring over the speakers. Before long, we’re swinging our arms around wildly, and I nearly go tumbling down when another girl bumps into me on my side.

I wave Taro over, and he makes his way through the crowd of dancing strangers. Well, strangers to me, I guess they all know Taro. He looks pretty suave as he glides across the floor to us, rocking his hips side to side. He throws an imaginary lasso over Miki, and pulls himself to her.

The three of us dance below the disco ball, the rhythm and beat of the music entering us. Strangers on either side swarm around us, moving with the same infectious sway as us. I can’t say for how long, but for a while I forget where I end and Miki and Taro begin.

“There’s my -!” Miki shouts across to me.

“What?” I can barely hear her over the thumping base.

“I said there’s my girl! Party Ibarazaki!”

Taro’s booming laugh is much easier to hear among the cacophony of sounds. It’s a familiar sound even from high school, when I’d hear him across the cafeteria.

It’s funny thinking back to high school. How I thought I had everything figured out back then, and how now I know I don’t know a thing. A silly girl with silly dreams.

Taro looks down to his phone and excuses himself. Miki flashes me a knowing smile.

“What?” I yell, still swinging my arms and hips.

“A surprise!”

Hearing that makes my stomach sink a little bit. The last ‘surprise’ I had from Miki was when she set a firework off in our kitchen. I wish that I was joking.

She punches my shoulder and points towards the door with her stump.

And that’s when I see him again.

From the crowd in the hallway, he emerges. He’s gotten a bit bigger at the sides, but those eyes, that smile. That’s Akio. That’s him in all his glory. Taro’s smile blares like a super trooper beside him.

“Emi.” Akio smiles as he shouts my name above the noise.

The two guys dance over to us, cutting shapes as they go, big stupid cheesy grins on their faces.

“Akio,” I shout at him. “Nice moves!”

And then there are four of us, dancing all together.

I close my eyes and let the feeling and rhythm take control.

Somewhere in the distant recesses of my memory, I see myself again. My eighteen year old-self, in her Yamaku uniform. A school disco, dancing alongside Miki, a larger than life Taro, a skinny redhead boy.

I see Akio and me kissing in my Yamaku dorm room, I see us doing so much more. I open my eyes and see his deep brown eyes.

I see his face when I got accepted into Tokyo U, when all of those hours studying finally paid off. I see Akio and me eating dinner with my mom. I see Akio standing at the airport. His year abroad. I’m crying in the rear view mirror.

I open my eyes and see Miki smiling at me. I close them again and see her opening her apartment door, taking my suitcase from me.

The past and the future, dancing all together.

After a few songs, and after getting probably a bit sweatier than is socially acceptable, Taro taps my shoulder and points back towards the bar. The three of us wordlessly follow, cutting back through the crowds who all offer Taro a high five or say something to Miki.

Taro reaches over the bar-counter and produces a bottle of whiskey, before reaching again and fiddling around until he finds a few plastic cups as well. Miki shakes her head and yanks the bottle of vodka from her bag, offering us all some and pouring me WAAAY too much.

Akio and Taro fill their cups with the whiskey, and the four of us exchange cheers.

“Happy new year,” I say. “Thanks for having us Taro.”

“Here here,” Miki nods as our cups bump against one another unsatisfyingly. Plastic cups.

After our toast, and a well deserved but not very hydrating drink, Miki and Taro sort of turn towards one another. It seems Akio notices their imminent make out session, as he gestures for me to follow him.

We wordlessly make our way back to the painting, to the sliding glass door, and Akio opens it. The cold air rushes past me as I follow him out onto the balcony. He fiddles with something in his pocket.

“Still smoking, Akio?”

“It’s an excuse at parties. Like now, for example.”

He plucks a cigarette from its packet and places it between his lips.

That’s a disgusting habit. One that Akio picked up after high school. One he picked up from his father.

“Killing yourself to get out?” I say, a bit below my breath.

“Better than killing myself in there,” Akio laughs.

I shrug, and take another sip from my crinkly plastic cup.

“Brittle bones and botched lungs,” I say. Akio doesn’t take it personally and chuckles.

Below us, car horns sound, and the occasional siren blares in the distance. The smell of cold, you know that sort of fresh smell, it intermingles with the smell from Akio’s cigarette. I shake from the chill.

“Here,” Akio says, offering me his suit jacket.

I take it and stick my arms through the sleeves. It’s like a dress on top of my dress.

“I’m sorry about the way things ended, Akio.”

“Not with a bang, but a whimper,” he chuckles sadly.

I can’t help but smile. “We got a few good bangs in there too, though.”

“Forever the dirty mind, classic Emi.” He takes a long drag. “We did though. Remember Tanabata?”

“I could never forget.”

“So you and Taro, you stayed close?” He asks.

“I live with Miki now, and obviously…”

“Obviously,” Akio agrees.

“But you and Taro?” I ask him now.

“We reconnected when I was abroad. I guess that’s when he was hitting it big, because he messaged asking to buy one of my pieces. I still don’t know if he’s a secret aesthete, or if he just wanted to re-connect.”

From the party inside, a countdown begins.

“TEN!”

I close the distance between us, and Akio wraps his arm over my shoulder.

“For old times sake?”

“SIX!”

“You don’t have to invoke the past,” he smiles, tilting his head down just a fraction to meet me.

“THREE!”

“It goes quickly, doesn’t it?” I ask as I shiver into his arms. He presses his cigarette into the ashtray.

And then our lips meet as the countdown hits one.

We linger, our lips locked, the sounds of cheering and ‘oohing’ inside.

Part of me wants to stay in this moment forever. The cold can hardly touch us. But the party resumes inside, and our lips slowly disengage.

“Life moves fast,” I say, begrudgingly.

“Life moves pretty fast,” he repeats to himself. Beyond him the lights and sounds of the city blare. There’s a long moment of silence between us.“You want to know when I fell in love with you?”

I laugh bitterly and take another sip of my drink. “When I kicked Miki’s ass at the track meet?”

He shakes his head, and reaches out for my drink, having finished his own. I relent and pass it to him, and he takes a long swig.

“No, no. It was after that. It was in the Shanghai, when that ditsy waitress spilled coffee all over the floor and you helped her clean up.”

“That’s…. Surprisingly dull Akio! “ I exclaim, and Akio laughs out loud.

“I don’t know what to tell you, it wasn’t some grand romantic or sexy moment. I just knew that day that I was in love with you and that I’d never meet anyone like you again.”

Hearing him speak like that, it nearly makes me cry. I offer him my hand.

“I’ve never met anyone like you either, Akio.” He squeezes my hand and our fingers interlink. “You were worth slowing down for, even just a little.”

“Don’t say that,” Akio chuckles sadly. “I never wanted you to slow down for anyone.”

We sit in silence like that for a moment. Back to being two strangers, what feels like miles above a city made from millions upon millions of strangers all moving in tandem.

“I never wanted you to slow down,” he repeats. “But the more I think about it, I never wanted to speed up either. I wish I could go back and shake myself. Tell myself what I needed to hear.” He passes me the cup back. It’s considerably lighter now.

“And what was that?” I ask, our fingers still interlinked.

“That we didn’t need to be in the same race to be in the same life.” His eyes meet mine.

I reach for his head and pull him into another long kiss.

We stay locked in a desperate kiss for what feels like an eternity. I want it to be an eternity. Until, again, we stop.

“Are you back in Tokyo?” I whisper, holding his head in my hands.

“I fly back to London in a few days,” he confesses.

“Life moves fast,” I repeat, my forehead pressed against his. I feel my tears as they freeze against my cheeks.

“It goes just the right speed with you, Emi.”

In the dark of the balcony, with the lights both from the party and from the city below and above us, we hold one another close, until it’s time to return inside.

No, I'm not stealing Sharp-O's work but I am stealing his little sign off note. I actually wrote this piece in an attempt to emulate Sharp O's style and he did much the same with his story, A Matter of Memory, which I posted previously. Hope you enjoyed both stories! Sorry for tricking you all.

My Molly Route
- CraftyAtom