Re: Learning To Fly - A Saki pseudo-route (New NSFW Art 2/22)

WORDS WORDS WORDS

AlexFDSR

Re: Learning To Fly - A Saki pseudo-route (Double Update 3/14)

Post by AlexFDSR »

HE'S BACK!
Another fantastic chapter, Euro. It's so good to see you're still writing despite all the Hellish shit you've had to go through. Your tenacity goes far above that of the average writer, I can't wait to see the conclusion of this great story.
If Iwanako had a route, would the tagline be "Can you find it in your heart?"
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Back to the forums after an extended leave of absence... again...

Absolutely great climax to the story you've been writing for so long!

Admittedly I do not play any instruments, and my theoretical knowledge of music is also sorely lacking, so a lot of what you were writing about is going straight over my head, but I enjoyed it nevertheless.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
ShadowSais

Post by ShadowSais »

Hi! Here a recent follower of EBJ. Just stopping by to say that you've done a great job with the climax of the story. I hope to see the end of "Learning to fly" soon.
StealthyWolf

Post by StealthyWolf »

This is the second fanfic of KS I read after completing the game and I'm really happy it is. The glowing recommendations almost don't do this piece justice. The story, characters, writing, style, and passion that has gone into this piece over the course of years is quite amazing. It not only feels like it'd fit in right along the main game routes, it surpasses them in many many ways. I'm sure length helps on that account, and I'm a sucker for a really interesting and long story, but it only works when done well. This achieves that and then some. I'm excited to see how this story ends, and I hope you're doing Well Euro. Keep up the amazing and inspiring work! The past few months have been a wild ride for me in my life, and this story has helped me through some of it, so I'm sad to see it coming to an end "soon." But I'm happy that I'll be here for it!
My Writing:
Uncertainty (A post Emi-Good Ending Story)
My Shorts and One-shots
Aksuko

Post by Aksuko »

Just like many previous people commenting on this thread, I also wanted to make an account among other reasons to comment on the quality of this story. I don't have words which have not been said before, but I want to say this: about this newest chapter. I read it in dark living room last night and it really felt like I was there. It felt like I was hearing the recital from the crowd, seeing Saki and Chisato on stage, Hisao speaking with the director. I now have a memory of being there - reading the latest chapter left such a strong mark in me. I'm going to read it through again in near future.

It is perhaps a stupid thing to say but if there were anything new to add to the original KS-lore through a mod of some sort, this might be it.

I also want to say that it warmed my heart to see blackmambauk commenting and also giving such a good advice all these years here, through thick and thin.
"Every human being should always be treated as an end and never as a mere instrument." -Immanuel Kant
Blackmambauk

Post by Blackmambauk »

Aksuko wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:53 pm
I also want to say that it warmed my heart to see blackmambauk commenting and also giving such a good advice all these years here, through thick and thin.
Thank you so much for your kind comment above, it really is a privilege to have been following Euro's story for so many years now, giving feedback on his excellent writing, becoming good friends with them and helping them with some of their ideas and more as the years have progressed.

Along with commenting with others like Mirage on parts of LTF and what our thoughts are on some of the elements and events of each chapter. I can't believe we are coming up to nearly 10 years since it all started. And that we are close to seeing its finale coming in the next few chapters.

No matter how long that ends up being.

Thanks again for the comment, it really made my day :D .

Kind Regards

Mamba
"I think the greatest skill a writer can have is simply having confidence in themselves to tell the story they want to tell, and to have confidence that their audience will make up their own minds on their story and characters." Blackmambauk

Favourite Route= All the Routes were done well. Each had it's strengths and weak points. But none were bad, a brilliant achievement by the KS Team.
Frankyo

Post by Frankyo »

Wow, I've gotta say that I'm absolutely stunned at how good this fic is.

After the past holiday season, especially after an impromptu 10 year high school reunion with some close classmates, I'm feeling nostalgic and reminiscing, wondering where all the time went. I also thought of the KS fandom since it was around 10 years ago holiday season, that I finished KS. This is why I've been reading KS fanfics again. I have read this one when it was early in its development and I remember how Saki said the line about being cute matching the April Fools image and how that itself was cute. (btw I saw the name as Learn to Fly so I'm always reminded of the Foo Fighters song lol)

Overall I love the way you've written all of the characters and they seem to be relatable if not likeable. The adults are reasonably supportive and Hisao is basically making all the good choices if it were a VN, which I think is fine as he grows/changes throughout the story. Swimming is a great bonding activity as I used to swim too! The music plot is great as we see the different reasons for Saki and Chisato trying their hardest to perform together, and the beautiful goal of trying to leave a legacy, a mark on the world even if you're gone.

I haven't been able to sleep well and had to talk to a friend that dabbed in KS about certain plot points I've read, since after reading the act 3 finale I've been emotionally broken and feeling many strong emotions, similar to the ones I felt when I first finished KS. It was just that good. The Kayoko plot hits hard too as a similar thing happened to an acquaintance (daughter of mom's friend). ~removed additional details, felt too personal to share on a fanfic review~

Where the current story has left off at least gives a triumphant feeling, that the hard work that Saki and Chisato have put in have paid off. Honestly I'll probably be similarly emotionally broken from the ending, I would rather see it end before Saki reaches her end, but would also like to see the happy years before that.
Last edited by Frankyo on Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Girls: Hanako/Misha > Lilly > Emi > Shizune/Rin
Routes: I realized that every route has its own charms, but felt that Shizune's was lackluster. It has Misha though!

"No masters or kings, when the ritual begins
There is no sweeter innocence than our gentle sin"
Aksuko

Post by Aksuko »

Frankyo wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:12 pm
I would rather see it end before Saki reaches her end, but would also like to see the happy years before that.
Gonna hijack this comment and say that when I read through this thread earlier, I saw rising number of commenters wishing for a traditional happy end as the story progressed. I am one of those people.

As I was reading Saki's and Hisao's journey, the further I went the more I noticed that I dont want it to end badly. I still have a wish that this will end well on her and therefore also on Hisao's part... I am so engaged in this story that Im praying and waiting for a deus ex machina.
"Every human being should always be treated as an end and never as a mere instrument." -Immanuel Kant
Titus

Post by Titus »

Frankyo wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:12 pm After the past holiday season, especially after an impromptu 10 year high school reunion with some close classmates, I'm feeling nostalgic and reminiscing, wondering where all the time went. I also thought of the KS fandom since it was around 10 years ago holiday season, that I finished KS. This is why I've been reading KS fanfics again. I have read this one when it was early in its development and I remember how Saki said the line about being cute matching the April Fools image and how that itself was cute. (btw I saw the name as Learn to Fly so I'm always reminded of the Foo Fighters song lol)

Where the current story has left off at least gives a triumphant feeling, that the hard work that Saki and Chisato have put in have paid off. Honestly I'll probably be similarly emotionally broken from the ending, I would rather see it end before Saki reaches her end, but would also like to see the happy years before that.
Are you me? Really! The same happened to me almost exactly. Glad I'm not the only one who got nostalgia! Spring 2022 marked a 10 year anniversary for me as well, same time I first played KS. It motivated me to start and end the year as strongly as possible, and I got a 99% success on goals at the completion of 2022!
Wow time went by fast, these years are not as long as people like to think! I came back to see how the forum is and I was pleasantly surprised to see someone in the KS cast got a route, as well as this amazing story by EBJ. This story is seriously KS Hall of Fame, I really want to say that it belongs officially.
Aksuko wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:14 am Gonna hijack this comment and say that when I read through this thread earlier, I saw rising number of commenters wishing for a traditional happy end as the story progressed. I am one of those people.

As I was reading Saki's and Hisao's journey, the further I went the more I noticed that I dont want it to end badly. I still have a wish that this will end well on her and therefore also on Hisao's part... I am so engaged in this story that Im praying and waiting for a deus ex machina.
Yep. EBJ can tell an amazing story, many times I caught myself with the feeling that Saki and the gang were real people because of how realistic the conversations were. I guess that's why we'd hate to see her go in a tragic way. We're hoping for a breakthrough cure! Haha
What if life had a soundtrack similar to Katawa Shoujo's ?
Sulik

Post by Sulik »

Aksuko wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:14 am
Frankyo wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:12 pm
I would rather see it end before Saki reaches her end, but would also like to see the happy years before that.
Gonna hijack this comment and say that when I read through this thread earlier, I saw rising number of commenters wishing for a traditional happy end as the story progressed. I am one of those people.
I want to give my two cents against the seemingly common opinion here, then.
Personally I'm in it for the cathartic pathos of the resolution, Saki dying early is a foregone conclusion and it'd be a flaccid ending for it to be in a post script note or not addressed at all. If you wanted a happy ending with implied years of love, you can always replay Lilly's route or something. Saki's struggle allows for an entirely different sort of story. Even if the road is happy, it's ultimately a tragedy. There's something especially beautiful in those sorts of things. It's like that saying about a candle that burns half as long, sort of.
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

I'd been meaning to read this story for, literally, years, and after StealthyWolf mentioned it in the Developments thread I thought it was finally time to do so. In fact, I believe I did read it in its early stages and think it had potential. It seems I was right, and the process of living up to it is nearly complete. In fact, I would say that, even if that completion never comes, this is the best example of a true pseudo-route that I've read on these boards, or indeed anywhere. I have a few quibbles, like the story feeling a bit by-the-numbers in places, or the characters feeling wise beyond their years at times, but honestly the writing itself is so good that it more than makes up for those. The idea that you worked on this for nearly ten years (and beyond, assuming the last bits are posted) and kept up the level of quality through all of that, as well as the personal travails in the interim about which you've posted, speaks to a tremendous level of both dedication and talent. I'll even let the fact that one of your prominent side characters shares a name with one of mine slide :wink:.

Anyway, as you've implied and I know from personal experience, the hardest part might be yet to come. I have faith that when it does, the proverbial landing will be stuck. Take care!
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
Silentfrost

Post by Silentfrost »

This is my favourite pseudo route, which is really saying something considering how much i liked Scissorlips' Suzu route.

I really hope you get round to finishing it, whether that be in a few days or a few years. It will be really nice to see how you tie up the loose ends.
Saki = Emi = Suzu > Lilly > Misha > Hanako > Miki > Shizune > Rika. Rin is off to the side somewhere pondering about what a tier list tastes like.

“Try explaining the concept of suicide being empowering. It doesn’t go well”
Sulik

Post by Sulik »

I hope all is well!
Map217

Post by Map217 »

First I just want to say that I hope you are doing well EBJ! From what I can tell you've dealt with a lot of shit, but have managed to pull through despite it all. I can only hope that the strength that helped you through those times continues to be a part of you no matter what your current circumstances are.

I first read KS back in 2017 and then found these forums and your story some time in 2018. Back then both KS and your story really helped me through some tough times. Wherein I dealt with some severe depression since the direction my life had been taking up until that point completely changed and I felt I had lost my purpose.

Now here I am some 5 years later having just reread and caught back up, and I just want to throw my own appreciation/support out there instead of remaining the invisible lurker I tend to be on the internet.

This story you've crafted here has been such an absolute pleasure to read and experience. Coming back to this story after so long has imbued me with a feeling akin to catching up with old friends, a testament to the life that you are able to breathe into the characters contained within.

I'm struggling to find words that won't put too much pressure on you, because as I'm sure you know all of us that are here are invested in how this story will wrap up. But, I guess I just want to say to take your time and prioritize yourself and your own wellbeing over trying to force anything.

Once again I hope you and all who grace this forum are well. I look forward to the next update, whenever that may be.
I'm a bit late to all this huh?
jacobgkau

Post by jacobgkau »

I left a longer review on FFnet a while ago, but now that I have an account here, I also wanted to say it's been a marvelous story and I'm looking forward to (and sincerely hoping for) the eventual conclusion.

With regards to some of the more recent posts about a "happy" vs. "sad" ending, I think a deus ex machina or fictional cure would be unrealistic and would undermine the point of the story, and therefore isn't likely to happen. However, that doesn't mean we have to actually see the tragic inevitability, considering Saki still has at least a couple of years left and the canon routes all ended no later than the end of the school year. So what I'm most on the edge of my seat about is just how far into the future the final chapter will reach vs. leaving it to the imagination.