Hisao and Kenji: Masterful One Shots! Father's Day Update

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Re: Hisao and Kenji: Masterful One Shots! Christmas Update

Postby Serviam » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:19 am

It's been a while since I last took a look at your works, and might I say: they're damn good as always. You keep doing the Emperor's work!
"What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else."
- Tom Clancy summing up l'état in a nutshell

In order of completion:
Lilly > Hanako > Rin > Emi
Currently on: Shizune
Serviam

Re: Hisao and Kenji: Masterful One Shots! Christmas Update

Postby Hoitash » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:34 am

Serviam wrote:It's been a while since I last took a look at your works, and might I say: they're damn good as always. You keep doing the Emperor's work!

Good to see you back, and thanks. Like the Living Saint herself, I shall always return when I am needed :)

Though apparently not in time to save a planet. Stupid Abaddon.
"Who are you, that do not know your history?" -Ulysses
Misha Time: United States of Misha Meet the Hakamichis
Awesome, served on the rocks: Hisao and Kenji- Master Detectives! (Check out the Archive for more!)
I wrote a book! Brythain edited it! If you like mystery and history please consider: A Sister's Habit
"You are absolutely insane. And entertaining." -griffon8
Hoitash

Re: Hisao and Kenji: Masterful One Shots! Father's Day Updat

Postby Hoitash » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:27 pm

You know, I haven’t written anything sappy in five minutes.

Let’s fix that. Ilya, throw the switch!

Shining Middle Child -A Father’s Day Special

As an only child with three children, sometimes I have trouble relating to or even understanding their sibling dynamics. Granted, I had a fair few cousins, but it’s not the same. Hanako not having any experience in the matter either meant we more or less made it up as we went along, as parents have done since time immemorial.

Satomi, our middle child, gave us the most concern. It wasn’t really the normal middle child issue since she and our youngest were five years apart. What ate at Satomi instead was the simple fact she enjoyed things the rest of us never bothered much with. She liked fashion and baseball, didn’t like science, and academically tended toward the average, though that was more lack of effort than anything.

On the bright side, every now and then we got a reminder that we occasionally knew what we were doing. She might have had different interests, but she definitely had our hearts. Metaphorically I mean –fortunately none of the kids inherited my arrhythmia.

Anyway, I remember one time where I was lucky enough to receive two such reminders, one of which you already know about thanks to a certain albatross. It was Father’s Day; obviously the same one Refia wrote about, only a few hours earlier. I was still in my study grading papers when I heard a knock at my threshold –I kept the door open so the kids and Hana, who refused to enter uninvited for whatever reason, usually just knocked on or near the wall to get my attention.

I looked up from my work to see Satomi leaning into the open doorway, her purple ponytail dangling to one side as her head looked at me sideways. I scooted back from my work and turned my chair toward the threshold, waiting for Satomi to speak.

“Dad?” she asked, “can I come in?”

I smiled and nodded, “Sure. Something on your mind?”

Satomi stepped into my office, hands behind her back as if hiding something. Once she had stepped within a few paces of me she held out her hands, revealing an envelope just the right size for a holiday card.

“Happy Father’s Day, Daddy!”

I took the envelope –purple of course- and opened the drawer containing my letter opener. Satomi’s lips twisted in an adorable pout, presumably because I was opening the thing the hard way and not just ripping into it. Once I pulled out the opener I worked it along the top of the envelope, placed the opener back in the drawer and closed it, and slowly pulled out the card within.

The homemade card on light blue construction paper featured a broadly stroked calligraphic “Happy Father’s Day!” in elaborate kanji above several exploding beakers filled with something that caused the explosions to contain glitter. Said glitter was very well glued in place and didn’t end up all over me, and thanks to my open window caught the light rather nicely.

I lowered the card to look at my expectant daughter, her pout gone and her fingers twirling in on themselves while she waited for my verdict on her gift.

I grinned and patted her head, “Thank you, Satomi. I love it.”

Satomi beamed and pumped her fists in victory, “I knew you would! I worked really hard on the calligraphy! I’ve been practicing for weeks to get it right and then I had to get it on the card and make the other stuff and the art club thinks I’m joining them now but it was a lot of fun and I’m really glad you love it.”

I lowered my hand, smiling at my energetic daughter, “Of course I love it. You made it.”

Satomi continued beaming. Colorful, coordinated, and keeping other’s interests in mind; in other words, my oldest daughter in a nutshell. To put my previous words into action, I carefully placed the card on the top row of cabinets of my desk along with the photos I kept up there.

Glancing back to my daughter, I asked, “Any idea where your brother and sister are?”

“Nii-chan’s helping Mom with something,” she replied, “And Refia’s working on her own present. Something about needing a really small box.”

I slowly nodded, “So then, would you like to stay a bit?”

Satomi slowly looked behind her, back-stepped to the threshold, and carefully peered into the hallway, both ways. Once she was sure the coast was clear, she carefully hopped into my lap as if she was still the springy little girl Refia’s age. I smiled as she eased her head against my chest.

“You know I’m getting too old for this,” she said.

I nodded, “I know.”

And thanks to her lanky frame, it was painfully obvious, too –I could barely rest my chin on her head anymore.

I sighed and admitted, “Right, you’re my little lady now, and Refia is my little girl.”

Satomi smirked and added, “And Nii-chan is the Prince of Nerds.”

I chuckled and patted her head. How I had become the King of Nerds when I knew an actual nuclear physicist was anyone’s guess.

After that Satomi said nothing for a few minutes, and we just sat together like we used to when she was a little girl. She was still so young, yet it wouldn’t be long now before she’d be a young lady, and then I’d have to acknowledge it.

Eight million gods help me, my little girl was going to become a woman before I knew it. At least I’d live to see it.

Apparently on the same wavelength as I was, Satomi muttered, “When I was really little and would cry, you’d hold me up to your chest and have me listen to your heartbeat. That always calmed me down.”

I raised an eyebrow and looked down at her, “You remember that?”

Satomi nodded, “It sounds weird now. It’s not the you I remember.”

I grinned, “It’s Me 2.0. I’m stronger, faster, more likely to live to see you get married.”

Satomi giggled, “That’s good, because there’s this boy in class that really likes to play baseball with me.”

“Amagi, right?” I guessed, “The one who always comes over to help you with homework and play catch when you finish? The one whose mom your mother trades recipes with all the time?”

Satomi gulped, “Um… yeah… you won’t tell Nii-chan, will you?”

I should’ve known Hanako was right about those two, since she supervised them and seemed to have a knack for matchmaking. I hadn’t really noticed it, but as astute observers may have noticed, I can be a bit dense when it comes to crushes.

I sighed and patted her head again. Satomi looked up at me, her brown eyes looking into my own. Such a sweet girl, despite her snarky nature –no idea where she got that.

Really.

I gave her a small smirk, “You know, if you didn’t tease him so much about Soon-hee, you wouldn’t have to worry about that.”

Satomi pouted, “I know, but he’s so funny when he gets flustered; kinda like you do.”

I gently tapped her nose, “You like getting a rise outta people, eh? You got that from your Aunt Lilly and Aunt Akira, didn’t you?”

Satomi grinned, “Maybe~.”

I rolled my eyes and patted her head again, “Your secret’s safe with me. Just don’t grow up too fast, okay? And be nice to your brother –he can be a bit dense just like me, sometimes.”

Satomi nodded, “I know. Thanks, Dad.”

With that, she gently hopped out of my lap, turned around, and gave me a quick hug that I returned. After a moment we parted, and Satomi took a few steps back.

“Happy Father’s Day,” she said again, then spun around and left my office.

I sighed and leaned back in my chair, the picture of me and a graduating Hana beaming down at me from my desk next to the card.

“Guess we’re doing okay so far,” I declared.

Taking the smile in my wife’s photo as agreement, I went back to work. I needed to get everything done quickly, as I was rather popular that day.

+++

There, it is done. I have done the thing.

Now for my next trick, I shall pull a 4th of July special out of the Warp. Oh crap that’s a Herald of Khorne. Oh God Ilya kill it with fire kill it with-

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

Crap, this is gonna be my whole day now. MILK FOR THE CORN FLAKES!

Oh, Ilya, do the thing.

/smokebomb

Thank you, Ilya.
Awesome, served on the rocks: Hisao and Kenji- Master Detectives! (Check out the Archive for more!)
I wrote a book! Brythain edited it! If you like mystery and history please consider: A Sister's Habit
Hoitash

Postby Toothless » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:12 pm

Finishing a nice story with such craziness, you absolute madman. As long the 4th of July do not involve Slaannesh, it should be great.
Toothless

Postby Hoitash » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:59 pm

Toothless wrote:Finishing a nice story with such craziness, you absolute madman. As long the 4th of July do not involve Slaannesh, it should be great.

I promise nothing, and thanks for the vote of confidence :)
Hoitash

Previous

Return to Fan Fiction