Katawa Shoujo/Koe no Katachi Crossover

Are you a deviant enough dude to post here?
mysterycycle

Katawa Shoujo/Koe no Katachi Crossover

Post by mysterycycle »

Inspired by this comic, mentioned in this thread, I felt compelled to create a response tonight.

You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person.
ImageImage
Couch to 5k with Emi: WD123 W2D123 W3D123 W4D123 W5D123 W6D123 W7D123 W8D123 W9D123
I'm making a Katawa Shoujo doujinshi!
My deviantArt
pandaphil

Re: Katawa Shoujo/Koe no Katachi Crossover

Post by pandaphil »

Awww, I love this so much! Nicely done and thank you!
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
crinklywrap

Post by crinklywrap »

The quality is top notch and I'm sure a lot of us really enjoyed this. It's pretty cool seeing a relative big-shot mingling here and making stuff. :)
Live
mysterycycle

Post by mysterycycle »

crinklywrap wrote:The quality is top notch and I'm sure a lot of us really enjoyed this. It's pretty cool seeing a relative big-shot mingling here and making stuff. :)
I'm pretty sure that's the first time I've ever been called that. :lol: But thank you very much!
You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person.
ImageImage
Couch to 5k with Emi: WD123 W2D123 W3D123 W4D123 W5D123 W6D123 W7D123 W8D123 W9D123
My deviantArt
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Now we just need a fic to go with it. :)
mysterycycle wrote:
I'm pretty sure that's the first time I've ever been called that. :lol: But thank you very much!
Hopefully it won't be the last. ;)
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

Outside the view of the camera, Hisao is talking to Misha.

"Do you think she knows what she's getting into?"
"Hic-chan! You're implying that joining the Student Council is a bad thing?"
"I wouldn't know..."
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
muliebrity

Post by muliebrity »

!!!

I demand more! This is great. The colors are very pleasant to look at, and I love the way you draw hands. The inking is also delightful. The only issue I have is with some of the proportions, but it's nothing that really detracts from the image.
<Xanatos>: Most certainly, matriarch appreciator.
My hobby: taking Xan quotes out of context.
Unorthodox KS Fanart
I loved every minute of KS, every route.
Greycat

Post by Greycat »

I like the fact that you crossed this manga and Shizune, I'm always so amazed at how people can connect two other "worlds" together.
I think muliebrity said it all, the proportions are a bit off but the expressions are so very expressive (mind you, some people can make them really dull!) and the hands, man, the hands, they're so hard yet you drew them so nicely!
I demand more.
mysterycycle

Post by mysterycycle »

Thanks! The proportions were definitely something I was struggling with, and have been ever since I started drawing the KS girls. I'm still trying to get a feel for the appropriate head-to-body ratio that will convey the correct age as well as having a shoujo look, as well as a couple of other issues.
ImageImage
My deviantArt
muliebrity

Post by muliebrity »

If you don't mind, there are key problem areas that stick out to me. Shizune's torso is thick in places it shouldn't be, body types irrelevant. I would recommend looking at some pictures of ladies in beach wear or underwear or nothing and paying very close attention to the size and shape of the ribcage such as it can be seen above the skin. Try to get it from as many angles as possible. What you'll notice is that female torsos are very distinct from male torsos, primarily due to the fact that in women (and children), the ribcage is very ovoid, maintaining a fairly consistent girth from top to bottom. Contrast this with the average adult male torso, and you'll find that the ribcage has a wider base, tapering towards the top. This is largely responsible for the "barrel" shape of even an out-of-shape man. In women, I think you'll be surprised how narrow their torsos look from many angles.

The arm lengths need to be more in line with the rest of the body. If you stand up straight with your arms at your sides, try noticing where your elbows are relative to the bottom of your ribcage, your hips and your waist. Try to feel out the relative height of your wrists and crotch, then your fingertips and crotch. WHat you should notice is that your elbows extend just past your ribcage, and are approximately in line with what most would call a "waist", and the tips of your fingers extend just past your crotch, with your wrists slightly above. These are pretty consistent across ethnicities, so even though the Japanese tend to have longer torsos relative to their legs and northern Europeans tend to have longer legs relative to their torsos, the relative positions of the joints will remain pretty much the same. Here, Shizune's arms, the one extending in particular, are noticeably short. I would be unsurprised if this happened more because you were trying to fit two bodies together than a lack of understanding of this, as that's always hard for me.

The faces are obviously deliberately stylized, so I can't comment. I love love LOVE the way you draw hands, though. Mine alwas look like technical drawings, yours look much more animated, more alive. I will try to incorporate some of that into my own work.
<Xanatos>: Most certainly, matriarch appreciator.
My hobby: taking Xan quotes out of context.
Unorthodox KS Fanart
I loved every minute of KS, every route.
mysterycycle

Post by mysterycycle »

That's a lot of good information, there - thanks! I'll have to mull that over and see if I can't apply that in my next drawing.
ImageImage
My deviantArt
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

I demand more
Oi.

Good sentiments, poor execution.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Carighan

Post by Carighan »

Hrm... in that case, I'll instead hope I'll one day master my GF's pentablet and there shall be more \o/
The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.