I draw them after I finish the route?

Are you a deviant enough dude to post here?
Greycat

I draw them after I finish the route?

Post by Greycat »

Last edited by Greycat on Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Umber

Re: I draw them after I finish the route?

Post by Umber »

Greycat wrote:-words and pictures-
You drew these yourself? If so, I'm all sorts of impressed. I'm not a reliable art critic, if that's what you're looking for, but here's some appreciation. Though, I am glad you're one of those people that convert their feels to interesting visual drawings, we need more of 'em.

Don't worry about not fitting in. The forums tend to be a likable place, with some likable people.
-An occasional art thread.
pig dissections and cadaver examinations.
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Nicely done sir, and welcome to the board!

Hope you'll join us down int he discussion area. None of us really "fit in" which is probably why we get along so well. :)
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Greycat

Post by Greycat »

Last edited by Greycat on Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crinklywrap

Post by crinklywrap »

You're drawing is not crappy at all! I honestly find a lot of inspiration in really attractive amateur work. You have a fantastic style and I can only hope to be able to depict this kind of fluidity in characters later on. Really like your take on Hanako.

And yes, though I may not be the best person to tell you this, this community can definitely be the place you're looking for :)
Live
muliebrity

Post by muliebrity »

I love how expressive and free-flowing your lines are. Definitely a unique style. I won't say anything more because:
Greycat wrote:I don't need much critique
I look forward to seeing more.
<Xanatos>: Most certainly, matriarch appreciator.
My hobby: taking Xan quotes out of context.
Unorthodox KS Fanart
I loved every minute of KS, every route.
Greycat

Post by Greycat »

crinklywrap

Post by crinklywrap »

That coloured hair looks ridiculously good; I can feel it. Background is nice too. It does seem like you're holding yourself back a bit in the digitized version overall though, maybe because you're not as comfortable with it? Keep pushing!

This recent influx of artists really pumps me up to practice a whole lot more than my measly minutes right now.

And yes, I think most of the character/route discussions happen in topic-specific threads in "Public Discussion," I hope you'll enjoy yourself. :)
Live
muliebrity

Post by muliebrity »

Greycat wrote:Oh my god, thanks! You're the person who drew this big-gate-4-shadows-image-thing... (well versed, what can I say!) I wanted to comment on that but I was scared.
Man, don't be scared. All you need to do is look at my other threads in this section of the forums to see that I take criticism from anyone eagerly, I know I'm no Caravaggio and every critique helps.
It's so great! I could never paint such a thing, I don't understand how straight, rigid lines work :D.
Thanks! I cheated with the straight lines, though, all you have to do is hold shift in either Painter or Photoshop and the program will keep the lines straight. I actually try to do them freehand and mess them up a bit if I use shift, makes it look more natural. I'm personally deeply unsatisfied with my abilities, and I got really depressed about it recently and deleted 4 paintings in progress and curled up in a fetal position and wanted to die. So... Uh... Obviously it helps a lot to hear such praise, deserved or not. Thank you.
I mean, you can critique(!), it's just if you don't want to, then you don't need to feel obliged to... I definitely like when someone points out the flaws I may commit, with the exception when someone says "well, that's just crap go die" becaaaause then it's just unnecessary hate.
I would never say such a thing, especially not to you because it's not even close to accurate. Since you gave me permission, though:

What I adore about your style is how free and expressive the figures are, they just look like they're in motion, and that's something I struggle to accomplish in my own work. There are two things that really take away from that, though. It's clear that you lack confidence in your strokes/lines from the way it takes numerous lines, often going in different directions, to define the curve you were looking for. A bit more planning, more time spent visualizing the curve you want to draw before drawing it would not only add a flourish to your drawing it really needs to suit the subject matter, but also force your brain to think more carefully about the form of the subject. As it is, it's easy to tell that you're approaching each curve as it comes, and it doesn't seem that you have a very clear idea of the overall form of the subject while sketching. I hope this all makes sense. I'm trying to say that you should try lifting your pen up less frequently and draw your lines in one go, without changing your mind and doubling back as is clear in the arms, shirt and the lower right part of the left leg in the first drawing in the OP. The face and the upper left part of the left leg show more condifent strokes, and also a clearer idea of what you wanted to depict, so these parts of the drawing look better than the rest.

The second issue is that the poses look unnatural. The first one really doesn't look like a running figure, and a lot of this has to do with the straightness of the legs, but the biggest issue is that the figure looks off balance. Her center of gravity looks like its leaning to her right quite a bit, and her arms look like they're flailing rather than pumping as a runner's would. The center of gravity of the second figure is also leaning, this time far forward, making the figure look unbalanced. The legs also do not seem to be in a position of supporting her weight. This is also an issue in the third Emi drawing. This one could be fixed by straightening the leg that's meant to be holding her weight (seems to be her right leg) and making the hip it's attached to raised above the leg not bearing the weight.

Finally, her tits are too big to be Emi's :P

The Hanako image has none of the CoG issues, though, and the pose is great. Your style is great for prone positions like this, and you handled that with much more aplomb than I can manage with prone positions. The big issue with that one is that her left forearm is unnaturally twisted away from her body.

The colors you chose look great. I have no idea what I'm doing with color, so the only criticism I can make there is that her hair seems a little dull. Making the highlights warmer in color and the shadows a bit cooler would go a long way to making it pop more (or rather, reverse that as your shadows are warm in color on the rest of the image). I love the composition of it, as well.
crinklywrap wrote:It does seem like you're holding yourself back a bit in the digitized version overall though, maybe because you're not as comfortable with it? Keep pushing!
Couldn't have said it better myself. Experiment! Throw some weird colors in there, like some green!
<Xanatos>: Most certainly, matriarch appreciator.
My hobby: taking Xan quotes out of context.
Unorthodox KS Fanart
I loved every minute of KS, every route.
Greycat

Post by Greycat »

griffon8

Post by griffon8 »

It isn't allowing requests. It just hasn't been noticed yet. If you want requests, people should PM you.
I found out about Katawa Shoujo through the forums of Misfile. There, I am the editor of Misfiled Dreams.

Completed: 100%, including bonus picture. Shizune>Emi>Lilly>Hanako>Rin

Griffon8's Writing
LemonPirate

Post by LemonPirate »

Greycat wrote:Woah, that has been a really productive critique! Thank you for that!
I don't understand by what do you mean that I'm not entirely finished with my 'finished piece'... Because I think I am at the time? I don't really know how to solve this issue.
Also, the sketch (the blue one) is crappy, I know it's pretty bad, you didn't need to bother yourself with that one hahahah
http://24.media.tumblr.com/b727a8449c38 ... o1_500.png
As a massive fan of Emi I approve of this drawing. Looks awesome :D
Last edited by Silentcook on Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Don't quote images that were just posted, people...
"I just wrote down PIRATE!" -Emi Ibarazaki