So I drew Rin (First tablet drawing)

Are you a deviant enough dude to post here?
tounymalouny

So I drew Rin (First tablet drawing)

Post by tounymalouny »

So this is what I drew on the 13th of March, because of reasons.
I recently got my tablet (Wacom Bamboo) and I decided to draw Rin first since she inspired me to pick up drawing again.

http://i.imgur.com/S2QZBux.png
(Not attaching the image itself since it's quite large)

What do you guys think?
I'd really appreciate feedback; on what did I succeed? On what do I have room to improve?
Also if anyone has got any tips or tricks on tablet drawing (or on photoshop) be sure to post them!
Help on how to do shading of the hair properly would be ideal!
muliebrity

Re: So I drew Rin (First tablet drawing)

Post by muliebrity »

I think it's a good start for being unfamiliar with working with a tablet, but here are my tips.

From the way your strokes look, it's clear that you lack confidence in the marks you're making. More careful though before each stroke, visualization of the results will help the drawing look less forced.

Play around with different brush sizes. Use the right tools for the job, and most importantly, experiment.

Think carefully about the three dimensional shape of what you're drawing, your shading is very minute, and doesn't really suggest depth.

Keep it up!

EDIT: as for the hair, it really depends on what you're going for. It can be helpful to divide the hair into zones. It's hard to explain, but try thinking about what silhouette you want the hair to cut, sketch that out, then divide the hair into different areas which you feel represent "clumps" that go in roughly the same direction, and shade those separately, then blend. It takes planning and patience.
<Xanatos>: Most certainly, matriarch appreciator.
My hobby: taking Xan quotes out of context.
Unorthodox KS Fanart
I loved every minute of KS, every route.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Not too shabby for somebody that's just starting.
Not Dead Yet
ArcCain

Post by ArcCain »

That's pretty good.
A good writer knows his limits. A great writer finds ways around them.
apackofbadgers

Post by apackofbadgers »

Ahh the bamboo, I remember getting that in an apple store when I was young. I used it until it broke then got another one because I hate change. Good times. It's a lovely Rin too, you did great.

I have some humble suggestions from a fellow photoshop user.
Layers: I'm not sure how you structured your drawing but I personally do my lineart then generally do the colour underneath it in seperate layers. This way if you mess up it's only one thing that went wrong.
Fill tool: It looks like you used the filler to colour large areas. Just be aware that it makes quite a sharp edge which often leaks over other boundaries. In yours for example you can see the hair red zone leaks past the lineart in quite a blocky way. You can also adjust the "Tolerance" value for the filler at the top of the window to adjust how much it spreads.
brush opacity: Photoshop is annoying in that if your brush is transparent (lets say 50%) then you can go over the stroke again and it will stay at 50%. If however you release the pen, then start a new stroke and go over it you will get the crossing section go darker. You can see this on yours mostly at the base of the hair points but especially on the eyes. The easiest solution is to make your strokes last as long as you can. I have in the past done strokes in different layers and manually overlapped them.
hair shading: I watched a pair of videos by Weee/Raemz many years ago to try and get better at hair and I found it very helpful. Get a round brush (or whatever you prefer) and in the brush "transfer" settings set the opacity to pen pressure, then you can fade hair in and out. This is of course, subject to stylistic preference. If you have a specific style you're chasing I may be able to give better (or worse!) help.
undo: You can increase the number of undo/saved actions in photoshop in "edit" -> "preferences" -> "performance" then the amount of "history states" is how many times you can undo. I've thrown mine up to 125 because I change my mind a lot.

With digital art I think the most important thing is knowing what is right and what is wrong. We have the luxury of infinite "undo" so it's more about going "yep that's okay" or "nope, I'll try that again" than anything. I sometimes redraw a line like 30 times before I leave it.

Just realised this is a resurrected thread. Big sad.