Trying to draw again.

Are you a deviant enough dude to post here?
muliebrity

Trying to draw again.

Post by muliebrity »

Hello.

I used to do nothing but draw all day every day, but for some reason, I stopped almost entirely about 4 years ago. KS has inspired me to try starting again. I'm rusty as hell, and my style won't be to everyone's taste, but I hope someone enjoys what I come up with as I force myself out of a several year long rut.

These look better in real life, of course; some detail is lost due to my light shading and it couldn't all be salvaged.

In time for her birthday, I sketched Emi. This wasn't originally meant to be so maudlin, but it ended up that way! I hope to paint this at some point, but it will take some time as It's been even longer since I've done that and I wasn't very good, anyway.

This next one is an illustration of one of my favorite moments in the VN. I tried to make Our Hero look a bit more Japanese without deviating too much from his original appearance (as much as possible in my style), and I'm not sure I succeeded. I'll keep trying.

I'd love to get feedback, positive or not. Thank you to 4LS for inadvertently lighting a fire directly under my ass.
<Xanatos>: Most certainly, matriarch appreciator.
My hobby: taking Xan quotes out of context.
Unorthodox KS Fanart
I loved every minute of KS, every route.
pandaphil

Re: Trying to draw again.

Post by pandaphil »

Pretty cool man. I like.

Keep'em coming!
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
muliebrity

Post by muliebrity »

Thank you, pandaphil.

This is my first attempt at my version of Lilly. I think I really screwed up the proportions, but I like her face.

Unorthodox KS Fanart
muliebrity

Post by muliebrity »

This is my attempt at Hanako. I think she turned out pretty much as I imagined.

This is an image of Shizune I'm working on, and I have no idea what clothes to put her in, so any ideas would be great.

Unorthodox KS Fanart
Dream

Post by Dream »

Oh man, someone from art class (at least i think you mentioned it somewhere) and who has a lot of experience with illustration? Really glad you're here, your contributions to the fan-art section are really appreciated i'm sure.

I think my favorites of your work are Emi's drawing and Shizune's drawing. By the way, i think you should leave the Shizune illustration naked, maybe with her glasses, i think it works better like that. You also achieved an incredible effect on Emi's shin/feet and the pattern of her bed. While facial features are a little weird (not sure if that's intentional) over-all your work is extremely good.

I know what you mean with some of the shading being lost during scanning, it's rather frustrating in my opinion.

Seriously, this is good stuff, quite likely among the best we've seen.
"It is not reason, more or less furnished, but will that makes the world march"

"Unfortunately, if you can think of something really stupid, someone out there probably believes it." -Xanatos
muliebrity

Post by muliebrity »

Cheers, Dream. I'm actually self taught, so thank you very much for your exceedingly kind comments. I really like the Emi drawing, too, I'm glad you find it interesting.
Dream wrote:While facial features are a little weird (not sure if that's intentional) over-all your work is extremely good.
The last thing I need is to get away with mistakes by playing the "it's my style" card. Please be as brutally honest as possible, I would really appreciate the criticism. If you could be more specific about what bothers you about the facial features, that would be especially helpful.

As for Shizune, I've already decided what to clothe her in, but maybe I can just do two versions.
Unorthodox KS Fanart
Dream

Post by Dream »

Oh didn't know you were self-taught, i tried studying by myself at first but didn't get too far, so i imagine it must be a hard road to thread. And you're welcome on the comments.

I'm glad to know you're really good at taking critique and don't get in the style-trap i've seen a bunch of practicing illustrators fall victim to (i'm part of an art forum) So i'll proceed to the critique: As of now, the only thing i can think of is the facial features matter. Looking at Hanako and Lilly's illustrations, i have the feeling that the facial features are either too big or disproportionate in relation to each other.

For example Lilly's mouth seems to be either too big or the corner of her lips feel like they extend to the sides of her face, which is impossible. Her nose is anatomically right, but is probably too big and un-feminine for the character of Lilly, and the brows are a bit too high/far from the eyes. Really like the hair and clothing by the way, that's very achieved.

Hanako's illustration, i would like to clarify that i'm not even too sure if it's actually disproportionate or something like that, so take it with a pound of salt: I don't know if you were going for this, but Hanako looks like she's twelve in that picture, probably because her facial feature are bit closer than those of an adult, the lips are rather small (the corners don't end just below the pupils or center of the eyes) and the eyes seem a bit bigger/rounder than those of an adult. I think her body also looks 12, probably.

Shizune's face is pretty good, though. It feels very proportionate.

I hope this critique doesn't come off as too blunt or useless.
"It is not reason, more or less furnished, but will that makes the world march"

"Unfortunately, if you can think of something really stupid, someone out there probably believes it." -Xanatos
Woody Alien

Post by Woody Alien »

I find them a little creepy, but I think it's just the art style that's pretty different to the ones in the game I'm used to. I suppose they are faithful representations of how they could look like in real life. Any way, I like them! Shizune is the best one.

Do Kenji next time :)
Katawa Shoujo is a game that, by all accounts, shouldn't exist, but it does and we're happier because of it!
Shizune è una porcona

Click here for real-life Misha: http://www.flickr.com/photos/daddy_mulk/8637512452/
muliebrity

Post by muliebrity »

Dream wrote:As of now, the only thing i can think of is the facial features matter. Looking at Hanako and Lilly's illustrations, i have the feeling that the facial features are either too big or disproportionate in relation to each other.

For example Lilly's mouth seems to be either too big or the corner of her lips feel like they extend to the sides of her face, which is impossible. Her nose is anatomically right, but is probably too big and un-feminine for the character of Lilly, and the brows are a bit too high/far from the eyes.
I agree, looking at them. I used to be better at eyeballing proportions, but I guess I've gotten rusty enough to need guides once again. I definitely see what you mean about her mouth, and I agree that it's not a good representation of Lilly (that's why I called it "my first attempt", actually).
Hanako's illustration, i would like to clarify that i'm not even too sure if it's actually disproportionate or something like that, so take it with a pound of salt: I don't know if you were going for this, but Hanako looks like she's twelve in that picture, probably because her facial feature are bit closer than those of an adult, the lips are rather small (the corners don't end just below the pupils or center of the eyes) and the eyes seem a bit bigger/rounder than those of an adult. I think her body also looks 12, probably.
I can't argue with any of that, either. See, I was attempting to make her look like she's trying to shrink away, her shoulders held very far forward and her arms tightly against her body, but if she looks out of proportion then I screwed up. I'll have to try this pose again, because I really like the concept. Her mouth is something I tried to make on the small side, though, few people actually have the idealized proportions they teach you in art class (the "the corners don't end just below the pupils or center of the eyes" thing).
Shizune's face is pretty good, though. It feels very proportionate.
In that case, maybe I am getting my old senses back as I do more of these. I also think that drawing is the most technically proficient of the lot.
I hope this critique doesn't come off as too blunt or useless.
More useful than you know, it can be tough to see errors in one's own work. Thank you.
Woody Alien wrote:I find them a little creepy, but I think it's just the art style that's pretty different to the ones in the game I'm used to.
That's no good! Are you sure that's why? If there's anything more specific you can place as off putting, I would really appreciate it. Creepy is definitely not the vibe I'm going for.
Do Kenji next time :)
I don't see why not. I actually wanted to recreate the scene in which he removes his specs.
Unorthodox KS Fanart
Woody Alien

Post by Woody Alien »

muliebrity wrote:
Woody Alien wrote:I find them a little creepy, but I think it's just the art style that's pretty different to the ones in the game I'm used to.
That's no good! Are you sure that's why? If there's anything more specific you can place as off putting, I would really appreciate it. Creepy is definitely not the vibe I'm going for.
I'm afraid I can't help you, I never really studied art, also English is not my first language. It's just that , every time I see a realistic version of cartoony characters, I tend to find them a bit unsettling (for example the infamous "Real Life Super Mario" image).
Katawa Shoujo is a game that, by all accounts, shouldn't exist, but it does and we're happier because of it!
Shizune è una porcona

Click here for real-life Misha: http://www.flickr.com/photos/daddy_mulk/8637512452/
muliebrity

Post by muliebrity »

Woody Alien wrote:I'm afraid I can't help you, I never really studied art, also English is not my first language. It's just that , every time I see a realistic version of cartoony characters, I tend to find them a bit unsettling (for example the infamous "Real Life Super Mario" image).
Non è necessario che sa cucinare per recensire il cibo. Non è necessario che sa dipingere per fare i commenti utili sui dipinti. Io veramente apprezzi qualsiasi idea che ti piaccia dirmi.

Sorry for my broken Italian, I haven't practiced for about 3 years. :P
Unorthodox KS Fanart
Woody Alien

Post by Woody Alien »

muliebrity wrote:Non è necessario che sa cucinare per recensire il cibo. Non è necessario che sa dipingere per fare i commenti utili sui dipinti. Io veramente apprezzi qualsiasi idea che ti piaccia dirmi.

Sorry for my broken Italian, I haven't practiced for about 3 years. :P
It's pretty good, occasional mistake aside. Complimenti!
Maybe it's Emi's face in shadow, maybe Shizune's smirk, I really can't explain why I find them a little unsettling. However I really really like your way of drawing!
Shizune è una porcona

Gamera Ramen

Post by Gamera Ramen »

I think Shizune's just fine how she is :P

(Also you're good at drawing! The Emi one's great!)
Hellcat wrote:Hanako as a guest appearance for Marvel Vs Capcom 4, make it happen.
TheHivemind wrote:(the amount of time I spent reading really shitty fanfiction as a direct result of needing more ways to describe sticking a dick in a butt is, at this point, incalculable).
muliebrity

Post by muliebrity »

Woody Alien wrote:It's pretty good, occasional mistake aside. Complimenti!
Grazie. It's really pathetic, though, I should never have let it slip so much. I guess I'll have to visit the relatives.
Maybe it's Emi's face in shadow, maybe Shizune's smirk, I really can't explain why I find them a little unsettling. However I really really like your way of drawing!
I appreciate the feedback even if you can't find the words. It may be that Shizune looks very mature rendered like this, but if nothing else, it's a fun experiment for me. Thank you for your comments!
Gamera Ramen wrote:I think Shizune's just fine how she is :P

(Also you're good at drawing! The Emi one's great!)
Thank you very much. :)
Unorthodox KS Fanart
muliebrity

Post by muliebrity »

Not really worth posting anywhere else: 15 minute drawling of Rin, exploring her body.

Unorthodox KS Fanart