Rin sketch

Are you a deviant enough dude to post here?
KeiichiO

Rin sketch

Post by KeiichiO »

I love Rin, so I tried drawing her ^_^

Rin!

There's several things wrong with this drawing, (Like how the scanner fucked up the shading. Seriously, it destroyed the shading) But I think it came out alright. Any constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated!
StudyOfWumbology

Re: Rin sketch

Post by StudyOfWumbology »

I think it looks nice except for maybe one thing? (I'm not that good at art myself but I noticed something.)
I think you should have made the facial features tilt a little more backwards? If that makes sense.
Things happen. For the best or for the worst we do not know.
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

StudyOfWumbology wrote:I think it looks nice except for maybe one thing? (I'm not that good at art myself but I noticed something.)
I think you should have made the facial features tilt a little more backwards? If that makes sense.
Hmmm, I think I understand what you're talking about. It's hard to describe, but the facial expressions should be tilted slightly more since her head is turned ever so slightly to the right. (If that's what you meant.)

I think I could have done a better job on the face. (Mostly the eyes. They're kinda oddly shaped)
StudyOfWumbology

Post by StudyOfWumbology »

KeiichiO wrote:
StudyOfWumbology wrote:I think it looks nice except for maybe one thing? (I'm not that good at art myself but I noticed something.)
Hmmm, I think I understand what you're talking about. It's hard to describe, but the facial expressions should be tilted slightly more since her head is turned ever so slightly to the right. (If that's what you meant.)

I think I could have done a better job on the face. (Mostly the eyes. They're kinda oddly shaped)
I personally like the eyes. Oh, and the neck is just a little thin.
Things happen. For the best or for the worst we do not know.
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

StudyOfWumbology wrote:
KeiichiO wrote:

I personally like the eyes. Oh, and the neck is just a little thin.
Thanks. And yeah, I noticed her neck was unusually thin after posting this... why couldn't I have noticed while drawing?? I just don't know :P
ReCodes

Post by ReCodes »

nice drawing :'D
~WAHAHAHA...~
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=7531 <- my fan art gallery

I'm dead...for now...will be back sometimes later...
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

ReCodes wrote:nice drawing :'D
Domo arigoto.
Dream

Post by Dream »

There's something i don't like with the legs... At first i was going to say that the thigh is too long, but it seems to be right, so it seems that her leg below the knee is way too short, at least the one with the foot grappling the brush. Aside from that, while there doesn't seem to be anything overtly wrong with the drawing, it seems to lack a certain... Life/vitality to it, know what i mean?
"It is not reason, more or less furnished, but will that makes the world march"

"Unfortunately, if you can think of something really stupid, someone out there probably believes it." -Xanatos
ReCodes

Post by ReCodes »

Dream wrote:There's something i don't like with the legs... At first i was going to say that the thigh is too long, but it seems to be right, so it seems that her leg below the knee is way too short, at least the one with the foot grappling the brush. Aside from that, while there doesn't seem to be anything overtly wrong with the drawing, it seems to lack a certain... Life/vitality to it, know what i mean?
it's good enough
to make one drawing that exactly the same takes a lot of times and sketches
and snacks, too.
~WAHAHAHA...~
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=7531 <- my fan art gallery

I'm dead...for now...will be back sometimes later...
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

Dream wrote:There's something i don't like with the legs... At first i was going to say that the thigh is too long, but it seems to be right, so it seems that her leg below the knee is way too short, at least the one with the foot grappling the brush. Aside from that, while there doesn't seem to be anything overtly wrong with the drawing, it seems to lack a certain... Life/vitality to it, know what i mean?
I was feeling that the legs were to short when I was finishing up and adding details. Yeah, I get lazy with my work. A horribly bad aspect about me.

And when you say it lacks life, I understand. I was kinda going for that. Rin's general presence is meant to be a little drab, so I tried imitating that in my own way, while still trying to stay true to the original,

Thanks for the criticism though.
ReCodes wrote:it's good enough
to make one drawing that exactly the same takes a lot of times and sketches
and snacks, too.
While I appreciate the support, I really do, he has a point. The errors he pointed out are present in my piece.
But really, thanks for being supportive. Positive feed back always inspires me to get better! :D
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Thats the secret, to take positive criticism and use it to help improve yourself. Keep at it and don't get discouraged.

Lord knows it took me forever to develop a healthy attitude toward criticism. For the longest time I'd go all Hanako is someone pointed out a mistake I'd made.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

pandaphil wrote:Thats the secret, to take positive criticism and use it to help improve yourself. Keep at it and don't get discouraged.

Lord knows it took me forever to develop a healthy attitude toward criticism. For the longest time I'd go all Hanako is someone pointed out a mistake I'd made.
It took me many years to realize that criticism is meant to improve your abilities, not make you feel bad when someone points out mistakes about your work.

While I like how it turned out, there are many things wrong with it that I hadn't noticed 'til I uploaded and people are trying to help me out and improve for the next time I draw Rin.

And for some reason, it just looks so much better in my sketch book then on the computer. The details just pop out more in person if that makes any sense.
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

KeiichiO wrote:
pandaphil wrote:Thats the secret, to take positive criticism and use it to help improve yourself. Keep at it and don't get discouraged.

It took me many years to realize that criticism is meant to improve your abilities, not make you feel bad when someone points out mistakes about your work.

While I like how it turned out, there are many things wrong with it that I hadn't noticed 'til I uploaded and people are trying to help me out and improve for the next time I draw Rin.

And for some reason, it just looks so much better in my sketch book then on the computer. The details just pop out more in person if that makes any sense.
Agreed. Pictures tend to lose something when they're scanned. Also, shrinking an image down to computer screen size gives you a better ability to see the overall image. So mistakes tend to stand out.

One old trick I learned while drawing is to take the picture, flip it over and hold it to the light. Seeing the image in reverse will make fixable mistakes seem more obvious.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

pandaphil wrote:Agreed. Pictures tend to lose something when they're scanned. Also, shrinking an image down to computer screen size gives you a better ability to see the overall image. So mistakes tend to stand out.

One old trick I learned while drawing is to take the picture, flip it over and hold it to the light. Seeing the image in reverse will make fixable mistakes seem more obvious.
That makes a lot of sense. With every new drawing, I learn something new with the experience. I think it's a beautiful thing. I'm just gonna keep on drawing. With each and every new drawing, I'll learn a new technique, and eventually, I'll be completely satisfied with my art.
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

KeiichiO wrote:

That makes a lot of sense. With every new drawing, I learn something new with the experience. I think it's a beautiful thing. I'm just gonna keep on drawing. With each and every new drawing, I'll learn a new technique, and eventually, I'll be completely satisfied with my art.
Sounds good. Just remember to share the KS ones. :)
Last edited by pandaphil on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:50 am, edited 2 times in total.