So I doodled this picture..

Are you a deviant enough dude to post here?
Sin of my sins

So I doodled this picture..

Post by Sin of my sins »

I was having a really boring physics lesson on Friday, so instead of studying I decided to doodle this picture of Hanako ^^ It's pretty rough and some little details don't match because it's memory-based but it turned out good enough, I guess. Hope you like it!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76223501@N ... otostream/

Oh yea, I'd appreciate feed-back and I'm always open minded for suggestions to draw something ^^ Share your own pictures as well if you want to :)
Daitengu

Re: So I doodled this picture..

Post by Daitengu »

Well, when you get around to biology class, pay attention to anatomy, specifically human anatomy. Bone and muscle structure is a must for understanding how to draw people. Leonardo De Vinci actually studied and dissected cadavers to reach his understanding of anatomy.

Look at how fabric crinkles and folds while you wear them, then try to simulate it in drawing. Different fabrics fold and reflect light different.

"anime" is just a style, foundation principles of art and understanding the natural world via science still apply.

These suggestions can do nothing but help you improve faster if you are serious.

This youtube channel can also help for anime/manga style specifically: http://www.youtube.com/user/markcrilley
Sin of my sins

Post by Sin of my sins »

Thanks for the feed-back, I watched the video and found it intriguing. Lately I've been paying more attention to the shapes and perspective, but I'm still no good at shading.

I recently made these sketches, and I think I've somewhat improved. Care to review these? I'm content with all of them, except Kenji which I pretty messed due to remembering some of the details (HAIR) all wrong. Sorry about the quality, took the pictures with my phone.

Hisao/Hanako

Teatime

Kenji

Just to break the pattern and for common interest, anyone recognize the character? :D
Daitengu

Post by Daitengu »

oh Mark Crilley has like 300 videos lol. They range from manga/anime to realistic styles. Color pencil and painting as well besides just B&W.

Pen is pretty tough to properly sketch in. It lends itself to a more bold and rough style. I recommend pencil. So that you can do light guide lines and light rough sketch. Then you can define the rough sketch with hard lines.

I recommend guide line usage until you can intuitively draw proportions. It takes a while, till you don't need em, but with new camera perspectives the guide lines really help. If you draw them light, you can erase them easy without messing up final lines as much.

These videos specifically will help ya with clothing:

Hair:

Shading:

Head shape:

Those should keep ya busy with clear concepts to work with and practice. oh, and don't be afraid to spend hours on a single drawing. That's normal for good ones. Anything in the 20 to 40 minute range I tend to leave rough. Mainly because I spend atleast 15 minutes just doing light rough lines to get Body proportions and perspective looking right before I do final lines.

Oh and sketching the exact same thing multiple times is a good way to practice. It allows you to note where you can do better and improve. My 6th sketch usually looks much much better than my 1st. Proportions, shading, clothes etc, get better as I fix what needs improving in subsequent redraws.
Sin of my sins

Post by Sin of my sins »

Yea hah thanks a bunch for the feed-back :D I'll be sure to watch more of Mark Crilley's videos. I'll also get some proper drawing equipment, since all I have at the moment are regular pens and markers.

I will post more pictures when I deem that I have improved significantly. Thanks for the advice.
Daitengu

Post by Daitengu »

You'll eventually want to understand muscle structure, and bone shape on the human body if you wish to be good.

This is because it defines everything in a drawing. lines, shapes, shading, even how clothes wrinkle on the body.

When I was in art class, I stayed away from any particular style when I was studying how to draw humans. I just drew muscles and bone for couple weeks(no skin) from anatomy books I borrowed from the library. Since I have to draw something daily for homework, I just turned those in lol.

Helped me get past flat, tubish bodies. It helped me figure out where to shade on the skin to give some muscle tone, without hard lines.

I also drew alot of skulls lol. it helped to figure out face structure from many angles. I even made a small skull out of clay and used it to help figure out perspective of faces other than head on , 45 degree, and sidelong.

Helped that I had an awesome hippy art teacher in highschool lol
The O.H.L.

Post by The O.H.L. »

Just something I noticed and it's gonna make me insane if I don't say it so please don't get angry. But the word is third, not thirth.
Guess who's back, back, back, back again.
Not that I ever made any great contributions, but oh well, too bad.
Sin of my sins

Post by Sin of my sins »

The O.H.L. wrote:Just something I noticed and it's gonna make me insane if I don't say it so please don't get angry. But the word is third, not thirth.
Haha yea I realized my error shortly after uploading the pictures, but can't do anything about it now. English is not my primary language so it's not entirely unheard of me to do stupid mistakes like that. :)
The O.H.L.

Post by The O.H.L. »

Sin of my sins wrote:
The O.H.L. wrote:Just something I noticed and it's gonna make me insane if I don't say it so please don't get angry. But the word is third, not thirth.
Haha yea I realized my error shortly after uploading the pictures, but can't do anything about it now. English is not my primary language so it's not entirely unheard of me to do stupid mistakes like that. :)
Well you're fluent enough to fool me. I couldnt learn another language if my life depended on it, so I congradulate you on your success.
Guess who's back, back, back, back again.
Not that I ever made any great contributions, but oh well, too bad.