Wreckworks

Are you a deviant enough dude to post here?
Wreckusu

Wreckworks

Post by Wreckusu »

Finally finished this piece of Rin after fiddling with it on and off for the past week. Though really the hair took the longest. If anyone actually saw the original version of this piece consider it an ill advised prototype that I don't know why I bothered uploading.
rinhires.png
rinhires.png (94.78 KiB) Viewed 3622 times
High res version on my DA: http://rejusu.deviantart.com/art/Rin-155207332
Alternate expression (slightly rougher): http://rejusu.deviantart.com/art/Rin-al ... -155193694

EDIT: Fixed
Last edited by Wreckusu on Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kosherbacon

Re: Wreckworks

Post by kosherbacon »

Much better. I like the expression.
Sajomir

Post by Sajomir »

Expression's definitely better in this one :D
Thought about doing the same shot for my realistic set, but decided to go with something different. ^^
Animator for the Katawa Shoujo Fighting Game
We are looking for additional animators and spriters! Please PM me :D
Wreckusu

Post by Wreckusu »

There's actually some bizarre problem with the hair at her front (I mean I can sort of tell it's a little off) that makes the picture look like crap if I flip it horizontally. I know how I'd go about fixing it (though I'm too lazy to now I've declared it done) but I don't get how it goes from looking sort of odd with her facing one direction to looking super weird with her facing the other way.
Escalator

Post by Escalator »

Wreckusu wrote:There's actually some bizarre problem with the hair at her front (I mean I can sort of tell it's a little off) that makes the picture look like crap if I flip it horizontally. I know how I'd go about fixing it (though I'm too lazy to now I've declared it done) but I don't get how it goes from looking sort of odd with her facing one direction to looking super weird with her facing the other way.
A-ha.
It's not the picture that's changing when you flip it, it's your perception of it. Lots of times, when an artist spends a relatively long amount of time working on the same picture, it will warp his perception, and he may not see the mistakes he makes. If you lurk art forums, you'll notice flipping the picture (or looking at it on a mirror, in the case of traditional media) occasionally to see if anything looks weird is really common advice.

If it looks weird to you when you flip it, that is exactly how it looks to us, unflipped.
Sajomir

Post by Sajomir »

Escalator wrote:
Wreckusu wrote:There's actually some bizarre problem with the hair at her front (I mean I can sort of tell it's a little off) that makes the picture look like crap if I flip it horizontally. I know how I'd go about fixing it (though I'm too lazy to now I've declared it done) but I don't get how it goes from looking sort of odd with her facing one direction to looking super weird with her facing the other way.
A-ha.
It's not the picture that's changing when you flip it, it's your perception of it. Lots of times, when an artist spends a relatively long amount of time working on the same picture, it will warp his perception, and he may not see the mistakes he makes. If you lurk art forums, you'll notice flipping the picture (or looking at it on a mirror, in the case of traditional media) occasionally to see if anything looks weird is really common advice.

If it looks weird to you when you flip it, that is exactly how it looks to us, unflipped.
^
what he said. Flipping the image is a great way to double-check your pictures before you finish. If it looks weird flipped, you have work to do.
In the case of your picture, her hair looks weird because you chopped off part of her forehead. Try drawing the skull under that hair and seeing if that helps show how the front of her hair should fall.
Animator for the Katawa Shoujo Fighting Game
We are looking for additional animators and spriters! Please PM me :D
Wreckusu

Post by Wreckusu »

Sajomir wrote:
Escalator wrote: A-ha.

^
what he said. Flipping the image is a great way to double-check your pictures before you finish. If it looks weird flipped, you have work to do.
In the case of your picture, her hair looks weird because you chopped off part of her forehead. Try drawing the skull under that hair and seeing if that helps show how the front of her hair should fall.
Man makes a good point. Too good a point in fact. I'm actually going to have to fix it now. Drat and blast, I thought I was done with that hair. At any rate I know I clipped the forehead a bit, it's a common mistake that I should really take more care to avoid. I just couldn't get my head around why it looked a lot worse when flopped but I guess my view was skewed.

And done. Hopefully for good this time.