Katawa Fortress 2

Are you a deviant enough dude to post here?
Spindrift

Re: Katawa Fortress 2

Post by Spindrift »

Don't get too excited. Making one model or skin is a lot of work. A whole team of them...
das bruce

Post by das bruce »

And then animating. *cringe*
Captain Niggawatts

Post by Captain Niggawatts »

Spindrift wrote:Don't get too excited. Making one model or skin is a lot of work. A whole team of them...
Yep. Considering the physical attributes of the KS cast, you would have to completely remodel each class, because of missing limbs, but also because it would otherwise be a horrible misshapen monstrosity.

And if you remodel them, you would have to play on a special server which uses those models.
"People who quote themselves in their signatures are egotistical faggots" - Captain Niggawatts
SirMax

Post by SirMax »

Captain Niggawatts wrote: And if you remodel them, you would have to play on a special server which uses those models.
Actually, you just need to play on a server with sv_pure set low enough. All models, textures, sounds, animations, etc. are client-side, but there's a server setting that will force you to use the defaults.
DESU

Post by DESU »

Spindrift wrote:Don't get too excited. Making one model or skin is a lot of work. A whole team of them...
well this is the same guy who made touhou fortress. also, at the bottom of the page, he said they they are open to any custom modeling-related jobs.

here's the guy's site. I was actually waiting on niggawatt's suggestions (which is got) and i'm going to e-mail him, though i'm not sure how to word it.
Captain Niggawatts wrote:And if you remodel them, you would have to play on a special server which uses those models.
it's client-side, so the models show up on any server, but only on servers that have sv_pure set to 0.
Last edited by DESU on Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
I white-knighted for Hanako before the rest of you.
>Completion 28%
I got my Hanako path. To me, that's 100% completion.
My steam is my nexus of stuff so yeah. Also I have a chan. Ask me shit.
Bara

Post by Bara »

Extremist_Line wrote:
DESU wrote:edit: i may have found someone who is open to requests, so this may be able to be done.
Oh. Hell. Yes. If this happens, I will buy The Orange Box, which for some reason, I have not bought yet.
For a KS mod of TF2 I'd have to buy it and play it also; even though I suck massively at shooting games. :wink:

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Captain Niggawatts

Post by Captain Niggawatts »

SirMax wrote:
Captain Niggawatts wrote: And if you remodel them, you would have to play on a special server which uses those models.
Actually, you just need to play on a server with sv_pure set low enough. All models, textures, sounds, animations, etc. are client-side, but there's a server setting that will force you to use the defaults.
So, what exactly do they do about that, then?

I mean, do the models change but the hitboxes stay the same, or what? Because there is a sizable difference between, say, Misha and a Heavy (Hurrdurrmishafatdurrrrr). If someone without the custom model shot the heavy's flank, on the person with the custom model, it would just miss her side or so. Are hitboxes client-side or server-side?
"People who quote themselves in their signatures are egotistical faggots" - Captain Niggawatts
SirMax

Post by SirMax »

Captain Niggawatts wrote:
SirMax wrote:
So, what exactly do they do about that, then?

I mean, do the models change but the hitboxes stay the same, or what? Because there is a sizable difference between, say, Misha and a Heavy (Hurrdurrmishafatdurrrrr). If someone without the custom model shot the heavy's flank, on the person with the custom model, it would just miss her side or so. Are hitboxes client-side or server-side?
Hitboxes are unaffected by the model, they're completely independent of it. Same with collision hulls. So Misha might not look as big as the heavy, but any bullet that would hit a Heavy would hit her and she'd take up the same space for the sake of running into walls and such.
Spindrift

Post by Spindrift »

Captain Niggawatts wrote:I mean, do the models change but the hitboxes stay the same, or what? Because there is a sizable difference between, say, Misha and a Heavy (Hurrdurrmishafatdurrrrr). If someone without the custom model shot the heavy's flank, on the person with the custom model, it would just miss her side or so. Are hitboxes client-side or server-side?
SirMax wrote: Hitboxes are unaffected by the model, they're completely independent of it. Same with collision hulls. So Misha might not look as big as the heavy, but any bullet that would hit a Heavy would hit her and she'd take up the same space for the sake of running into walls and such.
Clearly the answer is to make a Misha model with Heavy-sized drillhair in order to maintain hitbox accuracy. Just think of the quotes!

"My hair is GIANT!"
"Entire team's hair is baby!"
"My drills, they are made of STEEL!"
Extremist_Line

Post by Extremist_Line »

After thinking a bit, I had an idea. Instead of making models for TF2, why not make models for HL2? The HL2 models are compatible with a several different Valve games, including all Half-Life 2 Episodes, Counter Strike Source, Day of Defeat Source, and Garry's Mod, among others. You wouldn't have to worry about hitboxes, voices, or the like. I've seen several anime and game character made into source ragdolls for Garry's Mod, and one even made a replacement for Alyx.

I dunno, just an idea.
"Anyone can say they're your friend, few can prove it." -Me
Hanako >/= Lilly > Shizune > Emi > Rin
Currently:Finished all but Rin. Taking a break for now.
http://extremistline.deviantart.com/
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

SirMax wrote:Hitboxes are unaffected by the model, they're completely independent of it. Same with collision hulls. So Misha might not look as big as the heavy, but any bullet that would hit a Heavy would hit her and she'd take up the same space for the sake of running into walls and such.
True; on 2Fort, try playing a Spy with the Dead Ringer, and disguise as a friendly Heavy. Run out on to the battlements, and the enemy Snipers will miss their headshots. They are aiming at the Heavy model's head, and not yours because the Heavy is taller than the spy. The dead ringer is for when they miss.

This actually is a problem for any alternate modeling endeavor. If they wanted to make the models balanced with gameplay (which may not be the case, just doing the models would be awesome in of itself), customizing the hitboxes would be necessary. Case in point: Snipers would want to take Misha's head off, but would only get bodyshots. Unless they aim at the empty air above her head.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
DESU

Post by DESU »

well the original guy that i was going to have make the models only does it for money ($160 per model if you're wondering), so he's out of the question.

but, he did tell me to ask around, and especially on the steam forums and fpsbanana. since I have an account at neither place i'm asking of you guys could help out sonnysonny and ask around for modelers.
ImageImage
>Completion 28%
das bruce

Post by das bruce »

The chances of you getting someone to help you out of the blue are sweet fuck all to none. There are already enough 'ideas men' in the world that anyone with any talent will simply ignore your request in favour of a project that has visible progress.
DESU

Post by DESU »

das bruce wrote:The chances of you getting someone to help you out of the blue are sweet fuck all to none. There are already enough 'ideas men' in the world that anyone with any talent will simply ignore your request in favour of a project that has visible progress.
well we do have progress, though i'm not sure how far along we are. ask sonnysonny.

besides, there are alot of people out there, and i don't think that they are all going to have something to do and would probably be okay with helping.
ImageImage
>Completion 28%