Katawa Shoujo + Science

Are you a deviant enough dude to post here?
Fidelas

Re: Katawa Mecha Shojo

Post by Fidelas »

PCJedi wrote:Emi would probably look about the same as she does with the normal casual-use prosthetics. Rin would look awesome though. I'd be all for giving Rin at least one prosthetic arm by the end of the game if I were writing her route, because I feel a bit too sorry for her as she is (much more than I do for Lilly or Shizune, by comparison). She just seems so defenseless, even though her personality doesn't give off that image very much.
I believe there was a picture on the Shimmie where she said 'Do what you want. It's not like I can stop you.'
Emi Footjob -> The Problem Really Is In Your Pants
PCJedi

Post by PCJedi »

That's the exact sort of situation that would make me feel like I would be obligated to help her/protect her if I knew her, or someone similarly disabled in real life. Though I guess KS would probably raise anybody's protective instincts when they play it.
Love is Blind. God is Love. Lilly is Blind.

Then, is Lilly God?
Fidelas

Post by Fidelas »

PCJedi wrote:That's the exact sort of situation that would make me feel like I would be obligated to help her/protect her if I knew her, or someone similarly disabled in real life. Though I guess KS would probably raise anybody's protective instincts when they play it.
I thought the same thing, and then I felt bad, simply because I thought 'These girls work around their disabilities. Does it look like I pity them when I want to act all machismo and protect them?'
PCJedi

Post by PCJedi »

Fidelas wrote:
PCJedi wrote:That's the exact sort of situation that would make me feel like I would be obligated to help her/protect her if I knew her, or someone similarly disabled in real life. Though I guess KS would probably raise anybody's protective instincts when they play it.
I thought the same thing, and then I felt bad, simply because I thought 'These girls work around their disabilities. Does it look like I pity them when I want to act all machismo and protect them?'
That's something I occasionally worry about too. I don't want to look like I'm pitying them, because they've learned to handle their lives very well, but I just can't help it at times. It's hard to balance being protective and respecting their own efforts sometimes.
Love is Blind. God is Love. Lilly is Blind.

Then, is Lilly God?
Xevo

Post by Xevo »

Face is wrong, she'd never smile lake that. She'd rather make a joke about it or sumthin'. :P
"Anal." - Emi
"I merely have a healthy adolescent sex drive." - Lilly
"The problem is in your pants." - Rin
"I'll tutor you." - Misha
"...?" - Shizune

I approve.
where'smyBMI

Post by where'smyBMI »

RELEVANT TO MY INTERESTS!

Though due to technical interest (well, academic interest, I don't have that MEng yet), I must nitpick incessantly.
On the limb itself:
The hand looks fine, but the arm needs a few more DOF to be practical, especially for the wrist. A rotation point in the lower arm, and a yaw axis for the wrist would allow much more natural motion (try moving your arm without rotating your wrist or lower arm at all. You'll find you need to pretty much turn your entire body to compensate). Joint motors are fine until somebody figures out how to make artificial muscle that contract quickly, powerfully AND for a reasonable distance. Current state of the art is two-out-of-three, with low power efficiency. For fingers, however, joint motors that small aren't powerful enough, so wire tendons are used with the actuators being mounted in the lower arm.
On attachment:
Rin is 'lucky' in that she still has stumps. Currently, we have no really effective prosthetic shoulder joint. 99.9% of prosthetic limbs attach with a 'stump cup', a moulded plastioc/silicon socket which fits tightly over the stump, using friction to hold the limb in place, often with some straps for re-enforcement. Even if this cup is an absolutely perfect fit, it still rubs and chafes constantly, creating painful sores, especially with long-term use. This is why many prosthetic users simply never use their limbs. There has been some advancement with using Osseointegration to attach limbs. This involves a semiporous titanium rod being inserted into a bone, where the bone itself joins permanently with the rod, leaving an attachment point sticking out the end. Attaching a limb is then as simple as plugging it into the mounting point. Very comfortable, and can be done by the prosthetic user themselves. It does have a few disadvantages though: the attachment point must pass through the skin, and this creates an infection risk if not kept clean (it's essentially an open wound). A sufficiently large impact to the mounting point could shatter the bone from the inside, causing irreparable damage (this shock loading problem is why there has yet to be testing of osseointegrated lower body prosthesis from the worries of repeated impact without the shock absorbing properties of the lower leg), but this is generally a nonissue for arm prosthesis. To my knowledge, there are only two people win the world with osseointegrated arm prosthesis.
On control:
Current state of the art is Targeted Muscle Reinnervation, where the remains of nerves that once controlled the arm (motor neurons) are surgically reattached to muscles in the chest. Signals from these nerves cause the muscles to contract, which can be measured by surface electrodes (myoelectrics). Experiments have been performed where sensory neurons have been routed to skin on the back, resulting in a limited sensation that appears to come from the missing limb. Other than this, every prosthetic limb has no feedback to the user and is totally open-loop.
Future prosthesis are expected to be able to interface directly with the motor neuron and sensory neuron remnants without needing them to be connected to other muscles, but as of yet it has been difficult to interface with nerves and keep them alive for longer than a few days. Connecting directly to the motor cortex of the brain is also promising, especially in cases of paraplegia where the spinal cord is damaged or severed, and experiments have been performed where monkeys have operated a robot arm in order to feed themselves (independently of their natural arms), and to operate a pair of robotic legs remotely, keeping the legs walking on a treadmill whilst the monkey stood still.

OK, that was a lot more info dump than I was intending.
tl;dr: for current prosthetics, 'awesome' and 'practical' are mutual exclusives.
Sturm

Post by Sturm »

EternalLurker wrote:Much win. What's Shizune gonna have, an artificial voicebox? Might be difficult to show that. I s'pose you could do a Malak-ish replacement of her entire lower jaw and a good portion of her throat.
And cochlear implants. She is deaf.
Burning Earth!
mugenjohncel

Post by mugenjohncel »

Science always finds a way...

This time, it's Lily's turn :mrgreen:

"POOF" (Disappears)
Attachments
Lily Satou with Geordi La Forge.jpg
Lily Satou with Geordi La Forge.jpg (231.76 KiB) Viewed 7589 times
Hello everyone...
WetCrate

Re: Katawa Shoujo + Science

Post by WetCrate »

HA!

Geordi's all, "Who's ya boi?!"

It's you, Geordi. It's you.
Xevo

Post by Xevo »

Don't make my lilly a trekkie! :o

Nice work though. :)
"Anal." - Emi
"I merely have a healthy adolescent sex drive." - Lilly
"The problem is in your pants." - Rin
"I'll tutor you." - Misha
"...?" - Shizune

I approve.
Khaos

Post by Khaos »

Awesome, I can imagine Lilly well as a doctor on the enterprise.
...so that's why I'm trying to figure out if there is something I need to figure out and then figure that out before it's too late and all hope is lost.
~~~~~
Isn't a realist just the word for what the cynic calls himself?
Fidelas

Post by Fidelas »

Just... oh god.

I always thought of her 'SCIENCE!' as more Cyclops from X-Men...
Vertical

Post by Vertical »

Oh man I almost fell outta my chair. You got me laughing out loud Mugen. About the only thing I could say about this is the Geordi visor destroys Lilly's moe. But that pics escapes criticism through the LOL clause.
Imagine me and you...
ChaosEngine

Post by ChaosEngine »

That just made my day. :D
DeliciouslyAtrocious

Post by DeliciouslyAtrocious »

I saw this earlier today and was wondering who drew it!
This has to be one of my fav KS fanarts.
262 : Anonymous. : 2,009/05/03 Sunday 01:10:05 ID:eglUycKa
All Cara is pitiful…(, ´ Д `)
I read with the character introduction sentence of the official site and gave gooseflesh.

Katawa Shoujo gives us all gooseflesh, my friend.