KS 3D printed figurine files now available

Are you a deviant enough dude to post here?
Merlyn_LeRoy

KS 3D printed figurine files now available

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

NOTE: Hanako files seem to be messed up, they won't upload on shapeways, I'll have to fix them tomorrow
shapeways doesn't like my recent .zip files, but old ones are ok?! Try uncompressing and recompressing Hanako files...
Hanako files are fixed now, reload from archive.org

2nd Update -- Chibi versions mostly printed out OK, but Emi's ponytails arrived broken off (but they were also sent, and can be glued on)
However, Emi was scaled too large, so her file has been replaced in the ChibiStanding.zip file; her hair has been slightly rearranged to make it more durable.

They are up on https://archive.org/details/KatawaShoujo3D

3rd update --> August 15, 2015: Added Emi and Rin action poses that printed well enough to release.

NOTE that each figure is likely to have possible "suspect areas" (hair, fingers) that might be too thin to survive the manufacturing process. I have printed several figures at 80% full size as a test, with mostly good results. I would not suggest printing smaller than that -- default is 100% (but since price depends on physical volume, 100% costs about twice as much as 80%).

Because of the possibility of small areas breaking, there are conflicting ways to go if you print it at shapeways.com:
1) Print it, and have the model reviewed by a human first. They might reject the model as likely to fail.
2) Print it with "Print it anyway" selected -- no human review, it's printed, but if it comes broken, you can't get a refund.
(also see https://www.shapeways.com/support/faq and https://www.shapeways.com/support/print-it-anyway )

If you are only printing one figure, I'd suggest trying (1) first, and try "print it anyway" if it's rejected. If you are printing more than one, having some rejected will cost an extra shipping charge (~$5) if you re-order the rejected ones as "print it anyway".

I've tried to make the figures sturdy by e.g. keeping fingers together, but breaking is always a chance. I've had one "unexpected" break (Hanako's left elbow in this NSFW pose at 80% full size, which looks like it would usually survive. I've removed two Emi and two Rin "action" poses from the files that I suspected would break, and they did. Emi's running blades, unanchored twintails, and Rin's billowing sleeves were just too fragile.

I have the Chibi set in the queue for printing at 80% full size -- the only problems I suspect are Shizune's right thumb and Emi's now-unanchored twintails (they no longer touch her back when she's Chibi), so you might want to wait on those until I report how they came out.

In any case, you're taking a chance printing any of these out. I apologize for any problems, but won't give you money.

Now, as to the files:

Each top-level .zip file is a collection of more .zip files, one for each figure/pose.
Here are galleries of computer-simulated .pngs and the collection .zip file

"Standing" poses:
GALLERY (this gallery also includes a grid of all the girls' face textures)
ZIP FILE https://archive.org/download/KatawaShou ... anding.zip

"Chibi Standing" poses:
GALLERY
ZIP FILE https://archive.org/download/KatawaShou ... anding.zip

"Action" poses:
GALLERY (a gallery including the rejected Emi and Rin poses is at )
ZIP FILE https://archive.org/download/KatawaShoujo3D/Action.zip

Added August 15, 2015, Emi and Rin "Action" poses:
GALLERY
ZIP FILE https://archive.org/download/KatawaShoujo3D/Action2.zip

"Swimsuit" poses:
GALLERY
ZIP FILE https://archive.org/download/KatawaShou ... imsuit.zip

"Hot Springs" poses (NSFW):
GALLERY
ZIP FILE https://archive.org/download/KatawaShou ... prings.zip

Remember that each of the above .zip files is a collection of .zip files.

Here is a small gallery of some "Action" poses printed at 80% full size (Shizune + Misha, Hanako, Lilly):

Note that Hanako and Lilly's sitting poses need some support under them (or be stuck down on something) to keep them from leaning back since their weight is so lopsided.

PRINTING
If you have a 3D printer, unzip the file (e.g. LillyDrinkingTea.zip ) for a folder that includes LillyDrinkingTea.x3d, which is the 3D data, plus a number of .png texture files (and a LillyDrinkingTea.png showing what the figure looks like).

If you use an online service like shapeways, you can just upload the LillyDrinkingTea.zip file -- there's no charge to upload and you can look at a 3D model before deciding if you want to print it.

COLORS
All my color tests from last time came out right, with the exception of Hanako's scars, which came out dark gray instead of dark red/brown. I've reddened them up for all her files, but haven't had a chance to print any tests, so beware.

I've changed their skirts to look more like the KS drawings with fewer pleats.

You can print each file as-is, but since these are print-it-yourself, you can customize the colors/faces by unzipping the file, changing files, and zipping it back up.
All of the printing parts use .png files for textures (like their faces) or just a solid color (like hair). You can change the textures/colors if you like -- each file has several .pngs for different expressions for each girl (whatever file is named girlface.png is used).

Also, try my free game Donkey Kenj - rescue Hisao from Kenji before he falls off the roof:
https://archive.org/details/DonkeyKenj
Last edited by Merlyn_LeRoy on Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:39 pm, edited 10 times in total.
khaz

Re: KS 3D printed figurine files now available

Post by khaz »

B A S E D
A
S
E
D
Kenjibro

Post by Kenjibro »

These are fantastic, I've always wanted to get models done of the KS characters.

Would it be possible for the files in STL format as well?
Merlyn_LeRoy

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

I can do it for the other files, not sure about the chibis since I have to re-make them each time due to the distortion and their figure skeletons get messed up each time.

Addendum: I tried an .stl file at Shapeways, and it doesn't seem to have the color/texture mapping information. This is as exported from Blender. How do you add colors/textures?
Merlyn_LeRoy

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

And here's the chibi test (Emi is 25% too large, I forgot to scale her down for the sizing test):
Emi and Rin
Emi and Rin
EmiRin.JPG (234.43 KiB) Viewed 331808 times
Hanako and Lilly
Hanako and Lilly
HanakoLilly.JPG (241.18 KiB) Viewed 331808 times
Shizune and Misha
Shizune and Misha
ShizuneMisha.jpg (244.57 KiB) Viewed 331808 times
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Mostly they look really cute, but Emi's hips seem far too wide.
Not Dead Yet
Rice-chan

Post by Rice-chan »

Damn they look really good. I would totally print them all out but i don't have a 3d printer.
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

Damn. I suddenly wish I had a grand or so to shell out for a 3D printer... Meh. I'll just sculpt my own... one day...

The standard sized models look pretty nice, though, the chibi ones look off to me... Were they made simply by scrunching down the bodies, and inflating the heads? I don't feel like that's a good way to make chibi models. Y'gotta make 'em from scratch. Make the head big and round, the body a simple cylinder shape with little definition, and the limbs short and stubby. Right now, those chibi models give me an uneasy feeling, for some reason...

Those are just my thoughts, though.
Merlyn_LeRoy

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

Yeah, the chibis are just a quick stretch job.
300BillionDegrees

Post by 300BillionDegrees »

KeiichiO wrote:Damn. I suddenly wish I had a grand or so to shell out for a 3D printer...
You can build your own for much cheaper, if your handy :P
ThatLankyBastard

Post by ThatLankyBastard »

How much does it cost to get them printed by Shapeways? Ballpark figure is fine

And do you have any plans for making higher quality figures? No offense, these are great, and I imagine that it's difficult to add in the smaller details. I don't know much about how detailed 3D printers can get.
Merlyn_LeRoy

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

ThatLankyBastard wrote:How much does it cost to get them printed by Shapeways? Ballpark figure is fine

And do you have any plans for making higher quality figures? No offense, these are great, and I imagine that it's difficult to add in the smaller details. I don't know much about how detailed 3D printers can get.
Depending on size and model, $20 - $60 each. The quality is in the printing, not the models, so the models don't need to change, what's needed is higher quality color printing, which is done with ink in layers on a fine white powder. Some of the monochrone materials have better resolution, but would need to be painted.