Running Katawa Shoujo on an ARM Chromebook

Questions, answers and issues regarding releases.
Armando

Running Katawa Shoujo on an ARM Chromebook

Post by Armando »

Hello everybody, I'm here document and find help regarding Katawa Shoujo on a Samsung Exynos device.

How I got here:
Firstly, I installed crouton (https://github.com/dnschneid/crouton) with unity which runs Ubuntu 12.04 LTS alongside chrome os. Then I downloaded the linux version of Katawa Shoujo and extracted it to my computer. When I first changed directory to the folder and attempted to execute Katawa Shoujo.py via terminal with python "Katawa Shoujo.py", I was dismissed with a large cryptic error. I then installed Ren'py with Ubuntu Software Center and after a swift reboot, was able to run the same command in terminal more successfully. The game actually runs, but it skips the intro and there is no audio. This is the output from the terminal as soon as I execute the command:

Code: Select all

Exception TypeError: "poll() got an unexpected keyword argument '_deadstate'" in <bound method Popen.popen_del of subprocess.Popen object at 0x10b9f30>> ignored
The game runs fine on the basic level, saving and loading successfully, yet as I just mentioned media such as the the intro video and audio are missing D:
I'm quite convinced that this has something to do with the device using an arm processor, however I am unfortunately too uneducated in the realm of software to figure out what to do next. I have already installed "Ubuntu restricted extras" and have attempted to install ia32-libs which was suggested on this forum on a different post regarding similar issues, yet I when I try to install ia32-libs on terminal I am confronted with more courteous errors. Any suggestions or technological miracles would be much appreciated, thanks for reading!

Below is a more in-depth guide on what I did on my chromebook to get this far; in case some one wants to replicate what I did and hasn't been coding computer systems since birth.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Step one would certainly be getting a more powerful environment of linux on your chromebook device. Goto http://www.howtogeek.com/162120/how-to- ... h-crouton/ to follow an excellent tutorial on how to do just that. (And Note I installed unity NOT xfce, because I thought xfce looked hideous)
After that you would want to get onto your freshly installed software and hop on terminal (mine came with something called UXterm). Then type: "sudo apt-get install software-center" (w/o quotes) which will install a program that will allow you to install other things without having to type so much.
Then download the linux version of Katawa Shoujo either on a web browser of your choice or back on chrome os.
Launch up Ubuntu Software center and install Archive Manager and Ren'py; then extract the .tar.bz2 file you downloaded.
From here you should launch terminal again and switch to your directory like this: cd "/home/YOURUSERNAME/Downloads/Katawa Shoujo/" <-- if that's where you extracted and named the folder. Then type python "Katawa Shoujo.py"

Congrats! You're now where I am.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Armando

Re: Running Katawa Shoujo on an ARM Chromebook

Post by Armando »

*** UPDATE ***
Months ago I installed ubuntu 13.10 on my amd64 desktop. Now with the default unity environment i had identical errors, attempted the solutions i posted above and had similar results so I am now under the assumption that this is more in line as a software issue than a hardware one. After I wiped that initial install i later tried the Xubuntu environment, surprisingly I was able to run the game from the terminal with ease running with no errors. Since Xubuntu is ubuntu with xfce, I wiped the unity environment on my chromebook and installed xfce. However when i attempt to run the sh file i receive

Katawa Shoujo.sh: 20: exec: ./lib/python: Permission denied
, checked the permissions so I don't think that's the issue (but I'm no Linux wiz). Will keep messing around for a while hope someones reading :?
demonix

Post by demonix »

If that chromebook had a standard intel processor and not an ARM processor (since the acer C720 chromebook and the chromebook pixel have intel processors that you would find in any regular laptop), then what you've been trying to do would work as the problem is more an incompatibility issue with the processor then a problem with the software used.
neio

Post by neio »

Armando wrote:*** UPDATE ***
Months ago I installed ubuntu 13.10 on my amd64 desktop. Now with the default unity environment i had identical errors, attempted the solutions i posted above and had similar results so I am now under the assumption that this is more in line as a software issue than a hardware one. After I wiped that initial install i later tried the Xubuntu environment, surprisingly I was able to run the game from the terminal with ease running with no errors. Since Xubuntu is ubuntu with xfce, I wiped the unity environment on my chromebook and installed xfce. However when i attempt to run the sh file i receive

Katawa Shoujo.sh: 20: exec: ./lib/python: Permission denied
, checked the permissions so I don't think that's the issue (but I'm no Linux wiz). Will keep messing around for a while hope someones reading :?
I actually just ran into this issue in another thread. chmod -R the entire folder to 777 * and you'll have no problems.

*Yeah, yeah, I know. You could chmod +x files selectively until it works, but that'd be a pain.
Recommended fics: A pseudo-pseudo Suzu Route | Sisterhood (Hanako Epilogue) | Can You Open Your Heart? (Rika)

(New) Movie contest: From which 2012 film did I mangle this quote? Prize: Humble Bundle
You're worried about the Nurse? Try the mom.
Armando

Post by Armando »

demonix wrote:If that chromebook had a standard intel processor and not an ARM processor (since the acer C720 chromebook and the chromebook pixel have intel processors that you would find in any regular laptop), then what you've been trying to do would work as the problem is more an incompatibility issue with the processor then a problem with the software used.

Absolutely! But what does Xubuntu have that the regular ubuntu does not? Considering that my desktop ran this game with ease on Xubuntu but not on unity, spitting out identical if not similar errors that were on the chromebook; there is something different about the two. Furthermore, would such a difference allow the program to run on that device?
Armando

Post by Armando »

neio wrote:
I actually just ran into this issue in another thread. chmod -R the entire folder to 777 * and you'll have no problems.

*Yeah, yeah, I know. You could chmod +x files selectively until it works, but that'd be a pain.
I tried, tried, and then tried again... :cry: same problem :(
neio

Post by neio »

Alright, we need to see your terminal output. First, what's the folder name?
Recommended fics: A pseudo-pseudo Suzu Route | Sisterhood (Hanako Epilogue) | Can You Open Your Heart? (Rika)

(New) Movie contest: From which 2012 film did I mangle this quote? Prize: Humble Bundle
You're worried about the Nurse? Try the mom.
Armando

Post by Armando »

After I moved the folder to the internal ssd and removed the space from the default folder name, the permissions issue was fixed. So far I've tried xfce with crouton and had no luck, in addition I installed 13.04 with xubuntu on a sd card and have had the same errors so I guess I'm out of luck.