Black bars around the screen on ubuntu 12-04 LTS

Questions, answers and issues regarding releases.
elcaminante

Black bars around the screen on ubuntu 12-04 LTS

Post by elcaminante »

Hi everbody
I installed linux less than a week ago and i downloaded katawa shoujo yesterday.
The gamed runned smoothly i just had one issue. I wanted to play in full screen mode but two bars showed at each side of the screen instead of displaying the full image all over the screen. Anyway that was not a big deal and just got over it.
The problem was that those bars still showed when i closed the game and i dont know howw to get rid of them.
I would appreciatte if someone could help me to fix this problem.
Thanks in advance for your answer.
griffon8

Re: Black bars around the screen on ubuntu 12-04 LTS

Post by griffon8 »

I don't know about the black bars still being there when you close the program, but they are entirely intentional for the full screen mode. That's because the game isn't widescreen.
I found out about Katawa Shoujo through the forums of Misfile. There, I am the editor of Misfiled Dreams.

Completed: 100%, including bonus picture. Shizune>Emi>Lilly>Hanako>Rin

Griffon8's Writing
Ritter Delorges

Post by Ritter Delorges »

I have the same issue under Ubuntu 12.04 as the OP. After leaving the game the resolution remains at 800x600. Unfortunately I don't have a solution though. Usually I just log out and back in quickly.
antiandrew

Post by antiandrew »

I just tried to replicate your problem, it looks like it just tries to change your resolution to 800x600. When you quit out, they just probably forgot to set your resolution back.

It also could be that the game did not close down completely. Try in terminal:

sudo ps -ef|grep -i katawa

That will list out the processes for the name katawa. If the game is running, output should be something like

root 2832 1984 0 18:50 pts/1 00:00:00 sudo sh ./Katawa Shoujo.sh
root 2833 2832 21 18:50 pts/1 00:00:10 /home/user/Downloads/Katawa Shoujo-linux-x86/lib/linux-x86/python.real -OO ./Katawa Shoujo.py
user 2918 2851 0 18:51 pts/2 00:00:00 grep --color=auto -i katawa

If those are still up after closing down the game, use the kill command to destroy them all. To use kill command, you have to list out the relevant process id numbers. I bolded them up there. Example:

sudo kill -9 2832 2833

If that doesn't fix it, it might be something to do with the driver, xserver or lightdm.
elcaminante

Post by elcaminante »

antiandrew wrote:I just tried to replicate your problem, it looks like it just tries to change your resolution to 800x600. When you quit out, they just probably forgot to set your resolution back.

Sorry for the very , very late answer. What worked for me was changing screen resolution as antiandrew suggested. I hope this to be useful to someone else. Thanks everyone for helping me out.