Upgraded to KS 1.1 :: Lost Saves

Questions, answers and issues regarding releases.
overquote

Upgraded to KS 1.1 :: Lost Saves

Post by overquote »

Hello Everyone,

I'm a big fan of KS currently, and I've just got back into it after playing the demo a few years back. Just a few weeks and I've completed 2 arcs (Lilly and Rin) and working on Emi. Just a week or so after I started, KS 1.1 came out, and I decided to patch it on, seeing that improved Red Velvet track. I installed it, and it overrode my 1.0 version, which was expected. I had even made a copy of the save files, and I still have it. Unfortunately, the 1.1 cleared all my progress in KS, and I tried loading the save, but it gave me a error, crashing the game, and saying that it could not find the "traceback.txt" file in the Katawa Shoujo folder. Has anyone had this problem before, and is there a solution?

4 files I have saved - Found under RenPy KS folder
[url][

Error message:
[url][

Many Thanks,
overquote
onenightblitz

Re: Upgraded to KS 1.1 :: Lost Saves

Post by onenightblitz »

Hello and welcome to the community support hotline!

Katawa Shoujo 1.0 and 1.1 are made with different versions of Ren'Py. Both saves are not cross-compatible. Try deleting/overriding the existing traceback.txt file.
demonix

Post by demonix »

onenightblitz wrote:Hello and welcome to the community support hotline!

Katawa Shoujo 1.0 and 1.1 are made with different versions of Ren'Py. Both saves are not cross-compatible. Try deleting/overriding the existing traceback.txt file.
That's only for the mac version as the version of Ren'Py for other versions remained the same (the OP is using windows, so there is no change in the game engine)
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

I actually found that personally, while my save states seem to be useless upon upgrading, that the file named "persistent" in the save folder still seems to be compatible when transferring to 1.1, so overall progress (completed routes, available extras, etc.) is still preserved for me.

All that save scumming I did went to waste though, haha.
onenightblitz

Post by onenightblitz »

demonix wrote:That's only for the mac version as the version of Ren'Py for other versions remained the same (the OP is using windows, so there is no change in the game engine)
Wrong. Katawa Shoujo 1.1 on Windows is also upgraded to Ren'Py 6.15.4, unlike 1.0 which was on Ren'Py 6.10.2e. My traceback file says so :|
demonix

Post by demonix »

onenightblitz wrote:
demonix wrote:That's only for the mac version as the version of Ren'Py for other versions remained the same (the OP is using windows, so there is no change in the game engine)
Wrong. Katawa Shoujo 1.1 on Windows is also upgraded to Ren'Py 6.15.4, unlike 1.0 which was on Ren'Py 6.10.2e. My traceback file says so :|
That's strange, as I thought that it had been decided after the 1.1 beta to leave the version of Ren'Py unchanged on all except the mac version (the release notes only state that the mac version has had an update to the game engine).
overquote

Post by overquote »

Well, haven't given up hope just yet, but chances are since KS 1.1 is running on a new version of RenPy most of these files if not all of them are completely useless now. I still have two questions. And yes, I am using Windows 7.

1. Is there a way to downgrade to KS 1.0? If somebody still has a download link or the KS 1.0 files, it would be VERY appreciated if you could give it to me. Torrent/DDL, anything.

2. persistent file - What I assume is that it holds the Extras data/info, and records your completion. Does it transfer over to KS 1.1 correctly?

Thanks Again, Everyone
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

overquote wrote:Well, haven't given up hope just yet, but chances are since KS 1.1 is running on a new version of RenPy most of these files if not all of them are completely useless now. I still have two questions. And yes, I am using Windows 7.

1. Is there a way to downgrade to KS 1.0? If somebody still has a download link or the KS 1.0 files, it would be VERY appreciated if you could give it to me. Torrent/DDL, anything.

2. persistent file - What I assume is that it holds the Extras data/info, and records your completion. Does it transfer over to KS 1.1 correctly?

Thanks Again, Everyone
Like I said, persistent transferred perfectly fine for me. I still have all my extras, completed routes, etc.
overquote

Post by overquote »

Sorry for not seeing that. Anyway, thanks for all your help. I'll just have to click my way through again, :lol: .
BleedingUranium

Post by BleedingUranium »

Vanguard wrote:Like I said, persistent transferred perfectly fine for me. I still have all my extras, completed routes, etc.
Not sure if this is considered a necro post, but did that stay automatically, or did you have to manually move the persistent file somewhere? If I download 1.1 right now, my completion unlocks and such would work without any input from me, right?
overquote

Post by overquote »

Just might be ;)

OP Delivers! Not really.

Yes, I had to move the persistent file.

TLDR -

SAVE YO SHIT

-Jigoro Hakamachi
BleedingUranium

overquote wrote:Just might be ;)

OP Delivers! Not really.

Yes, I had to move the persistent file.

TLDR -

SAVE YO SHIT

-Jigoro Hakamachi
And how would I go about doing that? :?
overquote

Post by overquote »

Simple. Copy the file, place it in any folder besides the KS/Renpy folder, and after you install 1.1, navigate to the saves file folder. Replace the new persistent file with your old one. If one is not already there, it is because you have not opened the game/saved anything.

You should have all your extras and be able to skip text you have seen before. If not, you fucked up.

SAVE YO SHIT

-Jigoro Hakamachi
BleedingUranium

I'm in KS/renpy, but I don't see any files named "persistent" :/
overquote

Post by overquote »

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://ks. ... H-PlYzuOkg

Little google search could help ;)

C/Users/(your user)/AppData/Roaming/RenPy/katawashoujo_actual

PM me or the KS Support team if you need any more help.