Sprites skip, and text fails to load or disappears

Questions, answers and issues regarding releases.
profdoom99

Sprites skip, and text fails to load or disappears

Post by profdoom99 »

I've been able to play a couple acts with no real issues (although reviewing text history--especially right after loading--used to cause this problem to a minor degree in the past,) but now the game is suddenly unplayable. I do not know what could have precipitated this change.

It began slowly, only occasionally interfering with the text. If a sprite moved, it would wipe any text it touched. Sometimes parts of a longer sentence would remain visible, overwriting the first few words, when the dialog changed to a shorter sentence. By switching to the highest text speed setting and minimizing text history browsing, this symptom was allayed.

Now, without warning, it happens almost every scene. One dialog box will, for example, repeat seven times before changing to dialog box eight. Sprites lag horribly whenever moving, and they blank out any text they touch. I still have the residual text, as before, but now it occurs in combination with these other problems, making things even more difficult to understand.

(I should mention that skip mode no longer works, for whatever reason.)

I uninstalled and reinstalled. Same problem.

I uninstalled and removed the old settings, starting from scratch. Same problem.

In the last two weeks I have installed no new software, nor have I updated any of my drivers. The game suddenly ceased to be playable. I don't know what to do, and I've been unable to find any other threads with this problem (although I admit I wouldn't really even know where to begin.)

Thanks in advance for your help.
neio

Re: Sprites skip, and text fails to load or disappears

Post by neio »

Do you get the same problems playing other games? Other RenPy games? Have you tried clearing (back up first) your game data folder?
What OS are you running? Graphics card? Drivers?
Have you tried hitting it really hard?
Recommended fics: A pseudo-pseudo Suzu Route | Sisterhood (Hanako Epilogue) | Can You Open Your Heart? (Rika)

(New) Movie contest: From which 2012 film did I mangle this quote? Prize: Humble Bundle
You're worried about the Nurse? Try the mom.