Ubuntu 12.04 - Not Starting

Questions, answers and issues regarding releases.
Kinch

Ubuntu 12.04 - Not Starting

Post by Kinch »

I've tried launching it from the .sh file in terminal, but all I get is this error:

File "/home/kinch/Desktop/Katawa_Shoujo-linux-x86/Katawa_Shoujo.sh", line 4
if [ "x`uname -s`" = "xDarwin" ]; then
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

It looks like a dev error in the code itself, but I'm inexperienced with this stuff. Help would be greatly appreciated...
demonix

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 - Not Starting

Post by demonix »

Have you tried not using terminal to launch it since I never had any problems with it.
onenightblitz

Post by onenightblitz »

That depends, are you using a 64-bit or a 32-bit version of Ubuntu? If you are using 64-bit, then you're screwed.
dwarduk

Post by dwarduk »

onenightblitz wrote:That depends, are you using a 64-bit or a 32-bit version of Ubuntu? If you are using 64-bit, then you're screwed.
Not -too- screwed - I got it to work with a little tinkering on my 64-bit Ubuntu. It was a pain though, and long enough ago that I can't give accurate instructions, sorry :/
Meiko will be my waifu. I swear it on my honour. </Zuko>
Uikri

Post by Uikri »

I'm having the same problem of the game not starting (also in 12.04), but I believe it may be a problem with Ren'Py? When I boot up Ren'Py, it looks like the attached image. I had some issues with installation at first, so I re-installed just incase something had somehow gotten messed up, and it is still giving me this problem. Also, it could just be an issue with how I'm extracting the .tar.bz2 file. Normally, I just right click and choose "Extract Here", but that takes forever and I'm not even sure it's working right, as when the game launches, I get the launch image and then it proceeds to crash on me. I'm running the 32-bit version of 12.04. Any solutions?

P.S. The FAQ said it was okay to bump old posts if it was on topic :P
Attachments
Why is this happening?
Why is this happening?
FGSFDS.png (40.75 KiB) Viewed 4590 times
lifning

Post by lifning »

to OP:
Try running
$ bash Katawa_Shoujo.sh
instead of
$ ./Katawa_Shoujo.sh
or however else you're launching it. I seem to recall Ubuntu shipping some strange Debian-specific shell called "dash" as a default "sh" that chokes on a lot of commonly used Bourne (Again) Shell syntax.

to Uikri:
Try running
$ unset RENPY_BASE
before launching. Having renpy installed system-wide caused conflicts for me, notably that environment variable being in my profile. If you don't need it for anything else, feel free to uninstall RenPy itself, KS bundles its own RenPy runtime.
onenightblitz

Post by onenightblitz »

dwarduk wrote:
onenightblitz wrote:That depends, are you using a 64-bit or a 32-bit version of Ubuntu? If you are using 64-bit, then you're screwed.
Not -too- screwed - I got it to work with a little tinkering on my 64-bit Ubuntu. It was a pain though, and long enough ago that I can't give accurate instructions, sorry :/
Does this involve installing ia32-libs?