Something wrong with Linux libraries?

Questions, answers and issues regarding releases.
LinuxUser

Something wrong with Linux libraries?

Post by LinuxUser »

Hi. I'm someone who enjoys playing this game, and I do so on linux. I used to play on Xubuntu but for unrelated reasons I've changed my distribution to Ubuntu10.04.

I'm able to run KS with RenPy, pygame, and python 2.6 that are installed on my system, HOWEVER the libraries included with the game for some reason do not execute right.

Whenever I try running the shell script I get the following output

Code: Select all

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./Katawa Shoujo.py", line 132, in <module>
    renpy.bootstrap.bootstrap(renpy_base)
  File "/home/thomas/Games/Katawa Shoujo-linux-x86/renpy/bootstrap.py", line 170, in bootstrap
    renpy.display.presplash.show(options.presplash)
  File "/home/thomas/Games/Katawa Shoujo-linux-x86/renpy/display/presplash.py", line 93, in show
    pygame.display.init()
pygame.error: No available video device
Googling around produces no results. I upgraded my video driver just for kicks and nothing changed. I'm wondering if anything has changed since I downloaded the game 2 months ago, because it worked like a charm before, but now I can't seem to run it with the developers own packages.

As stated, I can personally run the game, but I know when I first started linux I was mad whenever I couldn't find the solution to an issue easily so I'm hoping someone here can help me out and figure out why pygame isn't finding a video device.

Thanks for your time.
Kaheil

Re: Something wrong with Linux libraries?

Post by Kaheil »

Hello,

Have you updated to 12.04 yet? Do you still have the same issue?
khaosdvorak

Re: Something wrong with Linux libraries?

Post by khaosdvorak »

Try this command from terminal.

jockey-text -l

The output will tell you if your video card is detected, AND if and what drivers are in use.

Here is mine for an example....

christopher@g51vx-rx05:~$ jockey-text -l
xorg:nvidia_current - NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (Proprietary, Enabled, In use)
xorg:nvidia_current_updates - NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (post-release updates) (Proprietary, Disabled, Not in use)

A lot of people have been saying they have issues with the game....

Just make sure in linux you are running the game from "Katawa Shoujo.sh" and that you have the file to "Allow executing as a program" from the Permissions tab by right clicking it in nautilus.

Am running 12.04 and have NO issues with anything, especially not the game.
When Hanako smiles it makes you feel on top of the world.
When hanako cries.....*HNNNNNNNGGGGGGG* *dies*