Lost my save?

Questions, answers and issues regarding releases.
Sora de Eclaune

Lost my save?

Post by Sora de Eclaune »

I was playing Katawa Shoujo last night and made sure it saved, but today I went back to the game and it wouldn't let me load my save. In fact, the game was acting as if I had never played before. I couldn't skip past any of the text I know I had already saw last night.

I'm using a Windows 7. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I installed the game to a flash drive. That's where I've installed multiple other visual novels, even VNs made with Ren'py like Katawa Shoujo, and have had no problems. I've looked where the game is saved and it doesn't look like the save is there, either... All I've found is a file without an extension called 'persistent' in the Katawa Shoujo folder.

...Okay so my save is completely gone. However, the 'persistent' file keeps track of what you have/haven't seen and what you've unlocked, right? Right? -Has no idea what that file does-

Also, how do I keep this from happening again, or is this a ren'py specific bug that I'll have to consult the ren'py developers with?
noelly94

Re: Lost my save?

Post by noelly94 »

that happened to me aswell :( my saves still work but all my unlocks are gone i have 4/5 of the story done i just had to get the last 2 acts for rin done
gura

Post by gura »

yeah, im working on XP with the C drive frozen(deep freeze), I saved and turned off, next they when i opened my computa my saves where gone! :cry: Can you tell me where does the game save? in C drive? and if so in what folder/specific location plox
Gamera Ramen

Post by Gamera Ramen »

gura wrote:yeah, im working on XP with the C drive frozen(deep freeze), I saved and turned off, next they when i opened my computa my saves where gone! :cry: Can you tell me where does the game save? in C drive? and if so in what folder/specific location plox
On 7 it's in C:/Users/*Username here*/AppData/Roaming/Renpy/katawashoujo_actual
Hellcat wrote:Hanako as a guest appearance for Marvel Vs Capcom 4, make it happen.
TheHivemind wrote:(the amount of time I spent reading really shitty fanfiction as a direct result of needing more ways to describe sticking a dick in a butt is, at this point, incalculable).
dwarduk

Post by dwarduk »

I believe it's in %APPDATA%\Renpy\katawashoujo_actual

If you didn't know, %APPDATA% is kind-of like a shortcut in windows that always takes you to the application data folder. Just put that string into the location bar and it should take you there. The data like unlock percentage and viewed scenes is in persistent.
Meiko will be my waifu. I swear it on my honour. </Zuko>
demonix

Post by demonix »

gura wrote:yeah, im working on XP with the C drive frozen(deep freeze), I saved and turned off, next they when i opened my computa my saves where gone! :cry: Can you tell me where does the game save? in C drive? and if so in what folder/specific location plox
If the computer is using deep freeze then finding the save would be pointless since the computer would've reverted back to the state it was in before it was frozen when you turned it back on thus the save would have been erased on shutdown.