Issues with Installation on Linux

Questions, answers and issues regarding releases.
lml99

Issues with Installation on Linux

Post by lml99 »

The moment I read about Kawata Shoujo for the first time, I fell in love with the concept. I was really excited to try it out. However, I'm a pretty big newb with using computers. I know I really should be using a more user-friendly operating system like Windows, but due to my unfortunate circumstances, I'm stuck with a Linux laptop for the time being. The only progress I've had in getting this game to work has been owed to my brother, who is adept with using Linux and Python. So, forgive my ignorance or any confusion I may have with this process, and I will try to be as clear and helpful as I can. From what my brother has explained to me, KS needs the Renpy engine to run, Renpy depends on Pygame, and Pygame is based on Python. The issue we're running into right now is that the version of Pygame (1.9.1 I believe) needed to run Renpy hasn't been finalized yet. Neither of us know what to do. I'm currently using Ubuntu 11.1, 32 bit. If you need any other info, please feel free to ask. I've seen that at least a couple people on this forum have successfully played the game on Linux, so I know its doable. Any help or information would be great. Thanks.
formerly athankfulanon
capncrooked

Re: Issues with Installation on Linux

Post by capncrooked »

Some of the info mentioned in this other post may help...

http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=4865

Quotes from the above thread - "I can confirm that KS works with Python 2.7.2 and SDL 1.2.14..." or even "I managed to figure out a very very very verryy noob solution to this issue. Simply go to terminal and type: sudo apt-get install renpy or yum install renpy on yer distro. That will fix all the dependencies, after mark the .sh file as executable in properties and then run it. And it will start... eventually. I think."

Sorry, I don't use Linux, and can't verify if this will work for you or not!

Also, you may want to take a look at this... http://katawashoujo.blogspot.com/2012/0 ... rsion.html
guest2

Post by guest2 »

You shouldn't have to do any of that. As far as I can tell, everything you need is in the tarball. Permissions get set the way they need to and everything. Just run Katawa Shoujo.sh and it should go. I'm running 11.10 as well. It runs fine.
Katawa Shoujo Piano Sheet Music Project
"Jellyfish are like people to me" - Me
"OH GOD MAH DRILLS" - yipyapper
lml99

Post by lml99 »

capncrooked wrote:Some of the info mentioned in this other post may help...

http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=4865

Quotes from the above thread - "I can confirm that KS works with Python 2.7.2 and SDL 1.2.14..." or even "I managed to figure out a very very very verryy noob solution to this issue. Simply go to terminal and type: sudo apt-get install renpy or yum install renpy on yer distro. That will fix all the dependencies, after mark the .sh file as executable in properties and then run it. And it will start... eventually. I think."

Sorry, I don't use Linux, and can't verify if this will work for you or not!

Also, you may want to take a look at this... http://katawashoujo.blogspot.com/2012/0 ... rsion.html
Sorry, like I said, I'm a newb with computers and operating systems in general, so i'm not sure about this, but I thought that Linux wasn't compatible with .exes? Other than that, thanks for the help. I looked through the thread, and there was only one thing I could really take from it. My brother doesn't come home till after 7, and I can't really do anything without him, so I'll probably show him my findings and repost later tonight. Thanks for all the help.
formerly athankfulanon
lml99

Post by lml99 »

All right, I've gotten renpy to run, but whenever I try to get the ks.sh file to run, nothing happens. I tried manually plugging it into the terminal under the correct directory, and it just stops at one point. When I press enter again, the terminal says "cannot execute: Is a directory". My brother's saying that the paths aren't configured correctly (I have no idea what that means).

What happens when I enter the text from ks.sh once (Nothing happens afterwards) :
:~/domain/Katawa-Shoujo-linux-x86$ #!/bin/sh
:~/domain/Katawa-Shoujo-linux-x86$
:~/domain/Katawa-Shoujo-linux-x86$ # We assume Darwin means Mac OS X. Sorry, Darwin guys.
:~/domain/Katawa-Shoujo-linux-x86$ if [ "x`uname -s`" = "xDarwin" ]; then
> dir=`dirname "$0"`
> dir=`cd "$dir"; pwd`
> base=`basename "$0"`
>
> export RENPY_LAUNCHER_DIR="$dir"
>
> if [ -e "$dir/${base%.sh}.app/Contents/MacOS/${base%.sh}" ] ; then
> launcher="$dir/${base%.sh}.app/Contents/MacOS/${base%.sh}"
> else
> launcher="$dir/${base%.sh}.app/Contents/MacOS/Ren'Py Launcher"
> fi
>
> exec "$launcher" "${0%.sh}.py" "$@"
> fi
:~/domain/Katawa-Shoujo-linux-x86$ exec "`dirname \"$0\"`/lib/python" "-OO" "${0%.sh}.py" "$@"

What happens after I press enter again:

bash: /home/louis/domain/Katawa-Shoujo-linux-x86/lib/python: Is a directory
bash: exec: /home/louis/domain/Katawa-Shoujo-linux-x86/lib/python: cannot execute: Is a directory

(domain is the folder I put Katawa Shoujo in, and I cut out my user from the text)
formerly athankfulanon
lml99

Post by lml99 »

guest2 wrote:You shouldn't have to do any of that. As far as I can tell, everything you need is in the tarball. Permissions get set the way they need to and everything. Just run Katawa Shoujo.sh and it should go. I'm running 11.10 as well. It runs fine.
What did you do? Did you just run it or something? I thought you at least needed renpy?
formerly athankfulanon
Nekken

Post by Nekken »

lml99 wrote:
guest2 wrote:You shouldn't have to do any of that. As far as I can tell, everything you need is in the tarball. Permissions get set the way they need to and everything. Just run Katawa Shoujo.sh and it should go. I'm running 11.10 as well. It runs fine.
What did you do? Did you just run it or something? I thought you at least needed renpy?
RenPy, SDL, an appropriate Python engine, and the whole nine yards are all in the tarball. All you have to do is run "Katawa Shoujo.sh"
Falling in love is a volcano. Being in love is a kotatsu.
lml99

Post by lml99 »

I'm pretty sure that we have everything to get KS working, but my brother says that there's an issue with the path configuration. He's sort of busy, so does anyone know where I can try and find a solution?
formerly athankfulanon
lml99

Post by lml99 »

Can someone please look at the above post with my terminal entries and try to figure out what's wrong?
formerly athankfulanon
Nekken

Post by Nekken »

lml99 wrote:Sorry, like I said, I'm a newb with computers and operating systems in general, so i'm not sure about this, but I thought that Linux wasn't compatible with .exes?
Not ordinarily. There are ways around that.
What happens when I enter the text from ks.sh once (Nothing happens afterwards) :
Don't enter the text from it at the shell. Either double-click ks.sh from the GUI or enter the following exact text from that folder in the Teminal:
./Katawa\ Shoujo.sh
Note the forward slash near the beginning and the backslash in the middle, and note the space after the backslash. Breaking this down:

./ means that you really, really want to run something that's in the current folder (as opposed to running something from folders listed in a thing called your $PATH, which I'll let your brother explain).
The backslash-space means that you really want there to be a space in the file name. Otherwise it will assume that you're trying to run "Katawa" and tell it "Shoujo.sh" instead of running "Katawa Shoujo.sh"
Falling in love is a volcano. Being in love is a kotatsu.
lml99

Post by lml99 »

Thanks for the help. However, can you find out what's going wrong here? in my previous post? I tried what you gave me and I got a similar result. My brother's still adamant that its a path issue (I actually vaguely know what that is now). For the time being, he can't help me, so you'll have to be pretty descriptive in your directions. All I know now is how to find a directory. I've also posted what happens when I try typing in your method. By the way, The shell file is named ks, not katawa shoujo. A rename with a dash is a quick fix for the space issue right? Please answer back soon.
lml99 wrote:All right, I've gotten renpy to run, but whenever I try to get the ks.sh file to run, nothing happens. I tried manually plugging it into the terminal under the correct directory, and it just stops at one point. When I press enter again, the terminal says "cannot execute: Is a directory". My brother's saying that the paths aren't configured correctly (I have no idea what that means).

:~/domain/Katawa-Shoujo-linux-x86$ #!/bin/sh
:~/domain/Katawa-Shoujo-linux-x86$ # We assume Darwin means Mac OS X. Sorry, Darwin guys.
:~/domain/Katawa-Shoujo-linux-x86$ if [ "x`uname -s`" = "xDarwin" ]; then
> dir=`dirname "$0"`
> dir=`cd "$dir"; pwd`
> base=`basename "$0"`
>
> export RENPY_LAUNCHER_DIR="$dir"
>
> if [ -e "$dir/${base%.sh}.app/Contents/MacOS/${base%.sh}" ] ; then
> launcher="$dir/${base%.sh}.app/Contents/MacOS/${base%.sh}"
> else
> launcher="$dir/${base%.sh}.app/Contents/MacOS/Ren'Py Launcher"
> fi
>
> exec "$launcher" "${0%.sh}.py" "$@"
> fi
:~/domain/Katawa-Shoujo-linux-x86$ exec "`dirname \"$0\"`/lib/python" "-OO" "${0%.sh}.py" "$@"

What happens after I press enter again:

bash: /home/louis/domain/Katawa-Shoujo-linux-x86/lib/python: Is a directory
bash: exec: /home/louis/domain/Katawa-Shoujo-linux-x86/lib/python: cannot execute: Is a directory

(domain is the folder I put Katawa Shoujo in, and I cut out my user from the text)
What happens when I use your method (I replaced the file name you used with the correct one):

louis@louis-Inspiron-1545:~/domain/Katawa-Shoujo-linux-x86$ ./ks.sh
exec: 20: ./lib/python: Permission denied

Please help!
formerly athankfulanon
DeleV

Post by DeleV »

I'm curious what you've been doing with it all this time. On Ubuntu it normally works without issues at all. Just unpack the archive. Browse to the folder, double click the .sh file and choose "Run". No need to install anything specific. Did you download the latest (fixed) archive? The one with the EA1DFB30 checksum?
lml99

Post by lml99 »

DeleV wrote:I'm curious what you've been doing with it all this time. On Ubuntu it normally works without issues at all. Just unpack the archive. Browse to the folder, double click the .sh file and choose "Run". No need to install anything specific. Did you download the latest (fixed) archive? The one with the EA1DFB30 checksum?
When I click run, nothing happens. Run in terminal, the terminal appears for half a second and disappears. When I plug the text into the terminal, something goes wrong. I've provided most of my issues in the previous posts. As I said, I've been told that this is a path configuration issue. Again, I'm a complete noob, so I have no idea what an archive or EA1DFB30 checksum is, and where or how to download it. Thanks for the input, and please respond.
formerly athankfulanon
DeleV

Post by DeleV »

The checksum is in the filename of the file you downloaded. It's important because there was a different version on the first day of release with some permission issues. Unfortunately, this old one got picked up by sites like Pirate Bay and got distributed much more than it should have been.

Anyway, the errors are a bit meaningless since the most important part of the script won't work properly when you copy/paste them into a terminal. You could bypass the script an run it from the main directory directly by doing:

./lib/python -OO ./Katawa\ Shoujo.py

If this doesn't work, then you'll get some proper errors. I suspect it may be a permission error though, so check whether you get this:

:~/Games/Katawa Shoujo-linux-x86$ ls -l lib/python
-rwxrwxrwx 1 ... ... 684 2010-01-22 17:51 lib/python

(most notably the x's)
lml99

Post by lml99 »

DeleV wrote:The checksum is in the filename of the file you downloaded. It's important because there was a different version on the first day of release with some permission issues. Unfortunately, this old one got picked up by sites like Pirate Bay and got distributed much more than it should have been.

Anyway, the errors are a bit meaningless since the most important part of the script won't work properly when you copy/paste them into a terminal. You could bypass the script an run it from the main directory directly by doing:

./lib/python -OO ./Katawa\ Shoujo.py

If this doesn't work, then you'll get some proper errors. I suspect it may be a permission error though, so check whether you get this:

:~/Games/Katawa Shoujo-linux-x86$ ls -l lib/python
-rwxrwxrwx 1 ... ... 684 2010-01-22 17:51 lib/python

(most notably the x's)
Thanks you! This is what happens when I type ./lib/python -OO ./Katawa\ Shoujo.py:

:~/domain/Katawa-Shoujo-linux-x86$ ./lib/python -OO ./Katawa\ Shoujo.py
bash: ./lib/python: Is a directory

Nothing runs. It just says that ./lib/python is a directory. No errors appear. When I type your second entry in I get this:

:~/domain/Katawa-Shoujo-linux-x86$ ls -l lib/python
lrwxrwxrwx 1 louis louis 11 2012-02-21 21:33 lib/python -> /lib/python

What went wrong? Can you explain what each of those commands does? Thanks for the help. By the way, I was trying to run the shell script, not the python.
formerly athankfulanon